OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

Follow me for more bridge crossing tips.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:49 pm
Melon2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:47 pm

I had someone riding with me who was visibly beginning to have a panic attack as we sat there and swayed.
When I explained that the bridge needed to flex and, if it was too rigid it would fall into the river, it didn't seem to do any good to alleviate the fears.
I think deep down, its not a phobia, but a well-founded understanding in your mortality and faith in our humanity to trust the construction/design.
:dat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:50 pm The trick is to be depressed enough so that the warm embrace of death seems like a release rather than an unpleasant experience.
That's a BINGO.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm
Melon2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:50 pm The trick is to be depressed enough so that the warm embrace of death seems like a release rather than an unpleasant experience.
That's a BINGO.
:amaze:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm
That's a BINGO.
:excited:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

I love me some Christopher Waltz.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:06 pm I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge once. That was pretty wild. Got a cool shot under one of the suspension towers.

:nope:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:35 pm
wap wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 am
Came across The Arthur Ravenal Bridge in my 30 seconds of researching and should have included it as well.

I have a low level phobia of bridges ( :ludacris: , I know) and I totally get your retroactive terror. :lolol:
I mean, it never prevents me from crossing them, I just don't like it. lol
Lived in Tacoma for a few years, many trips over the "new" Narrows bridge for beers at Tide's Tavern in Gig Harbor.

:nope:
wap

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:26 pm
wap wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:17 pm

" :fax: "

This beauty was built in 2010:

There are several others being built, or soon to be, under that Infrastructure Bill that passed a couple years ago.
https://www.worldconstructionnetwork.co ... ts-the-us/
wap... breh. cmon now. I love that bridge. and its a great feat. but it was 2x over budget and 2x over schedule. AND ONLY 1,060 FEET LONG SPAN.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_O%27 ... ial_Bridge

I've seen and driven it in person.

it took them 5 years of planning and studies, 3-5 years of funding and approaches, and 5 more years to construct.

Why do y'all hate INCONVENIENT truths so? Its just what it takes us to do anything. The hoover dam was the last large scale infrastructure effort to come in under schedule and on budget.

This is a :fax: . and its :sad: So yeah. Its stands that we haven't built a 1+ mile span bridge in 50 years.... and our infrastructure rapidly approaching/past its designed age.
:notwrong: on any of this, but Griff wanted to know if it was true that we haven't built any major bridges in the last 50 years, which is all I answered. Not how long it took, how over budget it was, how long the span was, etc.

This bridge isn't that long, true, but building it in that location, on the side of a high cliff on both sides, is fairly :impressive: , or so it seems. :iono: I mean, I couldn't do it, lol.

Now, apropos of nothing except it's a cool pic of a :neat: bridge, in Greece.

It took 7 years to build, 2 miles long, it's the longest fully suspended sable stayed bridge in the world. And it's built to be earthquake proof. I haven't yet crossed it, but I have crossed that bay in a car ferry many years ago in that exact spot.
wap

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:31 pm I'd love to buy some of ye old :wap: rose colored glasses. Maybe he could retire if he sold them? I live and breath this industry every day. I love design and big construction efforts. I am frustrated daily by the things we fail to accomplish. The workers progress efforts out of the depression was a proud and triumphant part of what made the US great. And we rested on them laurels for a long time, still using that infrastructure.
:notsure: where the bolded is coming from, but I agree with everything else you said. WPA stuff is extremely interesting and :neat: , and we love encountering it in unexpected places when we travel. One recent example, some really cool hiking trails up in a rural northern Minnesota state park. I think the lodge in said park was WPA-built, too. Love me some FDR, lol.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I too have some fear of bridges as well as man made heights like skyscrapers. I’m cool on a mountain but a huge bridge? Ehh. Hoover Dam? Scary. :tits: and I rode bikes over seven mile bridge in the Keys on some beach cruisers and she was loving it, I was terrified, especially when big commercial vehicles passed. We also biked the Golden Gate and I’ve biked that Arthur Ravenal bridge many times. It really depends on the day for me, but it’s always unnerving at best.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:53 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:26 pm

wap... breh. cmon now. I love that bridge. and its a great feat. but it was 2x over budget and 2x over schedule. AND ONLY 1,060 FEET LONG SPAN.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_O%27 ... ial_Bridge

I've seen and driven it in person.

it took them 5 years of planning and studies, 3-5 years of funding and approaches, and 5 more years to construct.

Why do y'all hate INCONVENIENT truths so? Its just what it takes us to do anything. The hoover dam was the last large scale infrastructure effort to come in under schedule and on budget.

This is a :fax: . and its :sad: So yeah. Its stands that we haven't built a 1+ mile span bridge in 50 years.... and our infrastructure rapidly approaching/past its designed age.
:notwrong: on any of this, but Griff wanted to know if it was true that we haven't built any major bridges in the last 50 years, which is all I answered. Not how long it took, how over budget it was, how long the span was, etc.

This bridge isn't that long, true, but building it in that location, on the side of a high cliff on both sides, is fairly :impressive: , or so it seems. :iono: I mean, I couldn't do it, lol.

Now, apropos of nothing except it's a cool pic of a :neat: bridge, in Greece.

It took 7 years to build, 2 miles long, it's the longest fully suspended sable stayed bridge in the world. And it's built to be earthquake proof. I haven't yet crossed it, but I have crossed that bay in a car ferry many years ago in that exact spot.
:dat: and also :dat: is cool.

Anyone listen to the Big Dig podcast that debuted last year? Quite interesting.

Unfortunately every fucking thing in life is over financial and time budgets. Hell it takes me a full day to knock out a DIY thing that the internet says takes two hours, without fail. And I generally have good tools, DIY experience, an eNgiNEeriNg degree, etc.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Wake up mother fuckers, it’s time for breakfast.

wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am Wake up mother fuckers, it’s time for breakfast.

:fuckyeah:
:fatty:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am Wake up mother fuckers, it’s time for breakfast.

6.55? You’re sleeping in
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

6.55? You’re sleeping in
Had to do my cardio and then shower first before cooking and eating!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

6.55? You’re sleeping in
My first food is usually 12 or 1 PM.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

6.55? You’re sleeping in
My first food is usually 12 or 1 PM.
That's the way to do it bro.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

BuT dIDn’T YOu SeE The sTUdY tHAt SayS IntERmIteNT FaSTiNg iS BaD!?!!

The study isn’t published yet, but that shit was going around the news headlines and in the “fitness world” a week or so ago. Abstract of the study claims a 91% increase in risk of death from cardiovascular disease associated with intermittent fasting.

No idea about any of the parameters of the study, but I think it’s safe to assume the increased risk of death is due to people consuming larger meals during their feeding window still putting them in a caloric surplus, and/or moving less throughout the day due to lower energy from not having an even calorie distribution so they aren’t getting the necessary amount of hearth healthy exercise they need.

No problems with IF here. I think it’s a great way for most people to control their calories. Not my method of choice, but until this study is actually released for review (and more realistically until its findings are replicated in other studies and we have some meta analysis to review) then to each their own.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm BuT dIDn’T YOu SeE The sTUdY tHAt SayS IntERmIteNT FaSTiNg iS BaD!?!!

No idea about any of the parameters of the study, but I think it’s safe to assume the increased risk of death is due to people consuming larger meals during their feeding window still putting them in a caloric surplus,
or eating absolute shit (ie lots of sweets and fast carbs) when they do eat because starving
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm BuT dIDn’T YOu SeE The sTUdY tHAt SayS IntERmIteNT FaSTiNg iS BaD!?!!

The study isn’t published yet, but that shit was going around the news headlines and in the “fitness world” a week or so ago. Abstract of the study claims a 91% increase in risk of death from cardiovascular disease associated with intermittent fasting.

No idea about any of the parameters of the study, but I think it’s safe to assume the increased risk of death is due to people consuming larger meals during their feeding window still putting them in a caloric surplus, and/or moving less throughout the day due to lower energy from not having an even calorie distribution so they aren’t getting the necessary amount of hearth healthy exercise they need.

No problems with IF here. I think it’s a great way for most people to control their calories. Not my method of choice, but until this study is actually released for review (and more realistically until its findings are replicated in other studies and we have some meta analysis to review) then to each their own.
Everybody is different. Some people do better with a morning meal, others don't.
Diets are not a "One size fits all"
Meet the general guidelines for calories and vegetables:meats:carbs ratios and find what works for you.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

No idea about any of the parameters of the study, but I think it’s safe to assume the increased risk of death is due to people consuming larger meals during their feeding window still putting them in a caloric surplus,
or eating absolute shit (ie lots of sweets and fast carbs) when they do eat because starving
:dat:
SAWCE

Melon2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Everybody is different. Some people do better with a morning meal, others don't.
Diets are not a "One size fits all"
Meet the general guidelines for calories and vegetables:meats:carbs ratios and find what works for you.
Absolutely. I have a lot of friends that do IF and they love it and feel amazing on it. I’m trying to pulse protein every couple of hours, so it won’t work for my purposes, but as a tool for regulating calories I think it’s a good one.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm Absolutely. I have a lot of friends that do IF and they love it and feel amazing on it. I’m trying to pulse protein every couple of hours, so it won’t work for my purposes, but as a tool for regulating calories I think it’s a good one.
Yeah man, no hate as a technique. Admittedly I never tried it but, I get shitty quick if I don't eat within a few hours of waking up.
Eggs and toast equals a good productive morning for me.
SAWCE

Melon2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm Absolutely. I have a lot of friends that do IF and they love it and feel amazing on it. I’m trying to pulse protein every couple of hours, so it won’t work for my purposes, but as a tool for regulating calories I think it’s a good one.
Yeah man, no hate as a technique. Admittedly I never tried it but, I get shitty quick if I don't eat within a few hours of waking up.
Eggs and toast equals a good productive morning for me.
Hell yeah. What kind of bread you toasting up? Love me some sourdough or rye with my eggs.