Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:30 am I'd stay the F away from a top of the line super complicated mazderp product...
Yeah they don’t seem to be exactly problem free.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:30 am I'd stay the F away from a top of the line super complicated mazderp product...
IMO they are 2nd tier "Japanese" brand... that comes with a lot of risk.

You have first Tier Toyota and Honda and then Nissan/Mazda behind that. They usually tend to have far more depreciation + headache than the first two. But you get either more "value" i.e premium interior shit in mazda and or cheaper price in Nissan.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 pm

IMO they are 2nd tier "Japanese" brand... that comes with a lot of risk.

You have first Tier Toyota and Honda and then Nissan/Mazda behind that. They usually tend to have far more depreciation + headache than the first two. But you get either more "value" i.e premium interior shit in mazda and or cheaper price in Nissan.
And financing with a 420 FICO score.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I'm still sticking with a used MDX. Honda seats suck and Acura seats FUCK.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 pm I'm still sticking with a used MDX. Honda seats suck and Acura seats FUCK.
That's a good idea. MDX isn't huge, but Acura seats are incredible. Our RDX was a good buy for the money. Few grand over the mainstream stuff, with only like 13k miles, but a much better car.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 pm I'm still sticking with a used MDX. Honda seats suck and Acura seats FUCK.
How used... ?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:26 pm
How used... ?
Current generation. Daddy JP deserves nice seats and an ELS stereo
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:32 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:26 pm

How used... ?
Current generation. Daddy JP deserves nice seats and an ELS stereo
Depreciation is wild on these... current gen is like 45k? last gen is like 30k
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/ ... 61111.html

For a puke carrier maybe older is ok? But year JP will have to make a call on what he wants. 3 row SUVs have got to be the most competitive segment since sedans in the 1990s.... There are DOZENS of choices for every single price point.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:36 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:15 pm

Check out an Atlas as a punishment box (cheapest on that list) or if you can find a Highlander or Grand Highlander HYBRID that's really the way to go if you can't stomach a Van. But honestly... I'd probably try and get my name on a list for a Sienna. It's the thing that makes the most sense.

I like the Pilot but MPGs are shit as is the epic depreciation... :iono:
Yeah. A pilot seems like least seppuku however that only applies to the current one. Prior ones are awful looking. And yes shit mpg.

Grand Highlander Hybrid seems dece. The lower power one gets like 35 mpg in an enormous box. But also pretty expensive for a mainstream brand.

At least with the Atlas they’re available used for cheap. I don’t recall anything bad about them other than shit mpg with the V6 motor.

I’m slowly getting Lisa to come around to a minivan. I want one, she doesn’t.
Granted i never driven a CRV, but i did test drove the passport before i got the accord. Steering feels extremely loose, feels very much like a boat anchor. The HRV rental i had at the time was night and day (but otherwise a piece).

Id say highlander hybrid is a good choice and works like the way the hybrid should.

:tits: mom drives a grand cherokee L, very roomy, I drove it for a few miles, it drives quite nice and miles better than passport. I would recommend 4xe but I also hear they're not exactly reliable either.

Also atlas, especially cross sport is pretty wide compared to most in their class and more likely manageable for your family situation. Drives like your typical VW.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 95316.html

For an old punishment box id pick a well maintained Sequoia. One of the most reliable powertrain combos on the planet and a 0FG attitude if its gets fucked on the city streets.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:tits: did not like the idea of the minivan, but i do get a green light as long as I don't have her drive it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:59 pm :tits: did not like the idea of the minivan, but i do get a green light as long as I don't have her drive it.
:wat:
:butwhy: are you looking at a :minivan: ?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:24 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:59 pm :tits: did not like the idea of the minivan, but i do get a green light as long as I don't have her drive it.
:wat:
:butwhy: are you looking at a :minivan: ?
Cause whenever :tits: and i discuss children, i told her that im gonna get a minivan (which i probably won't) and she said im not gonna drive it, you are.

The toyota sienna xle hybrid does look quite nice
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:45 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 95316.html

For an old punishment box id pick a well maintained Sequoia. One of the most reliable powertrain combos on the planet and a 0FG attitude if its gets fucked on the city streets.
2WD, :nice: my uncle has this gen tundra and has owned since new, it’s a sweet car. Last I heard his wife/my aunt still rocks a manual E46 she also bought new :mindblown:

I’m still team :minivan: so much more useful but in the same kind of package size. The third row in all these CUVs is kind of a joke.

That Traverse does look so much better.

I’d probably just get a new sienna or the old poverty spec sequoia.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:35 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:45 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 95316.html

2WD, :nice: my uncle has this gen tundra and has owned since new, it’s a sweet car. Last I heard his wife/my aunt still rocks a manual E46 she also bought new :mindblown:

I’m still team :minivan: so much more useful but in the same kind of package size. The third row in all these CUVs is kind of a joke.

It seems like older vans are not super reliable … Hondas pop trannys … fca pops everything … Nissan … trannys.

Sienna … kind of has issues too … with timing cover leaks that cost 5k to fix
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:46 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:35 pm

It seems like older vans are not super reliable … Hondas pop trannys … fca pops everything … Nissan … trannys.

They’re probably just the least maintained/taken care of class of vehicle, run hard and put away wet. I imagine three row SUVs will be the same over time, owned by parents with kids and jobs who gave up on cars. I feel like V8 truck based stuff is both over engineered for kid hauling and maybe tends to be bought by dads who give slightly more of a shit.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:47 am
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:46 am

They’re probably just the least maintained/taken care of class of vehicle, run hard and put away wet. I imagine three row SUVs will be the same over time, owned by parents with kids and jobs who gave up on cars. I feel like V8 truck based stuff is both over engineered for kid hauling and maybe tends to be bought by dads who give slightly more of a shit.
:dat:
Johnny_P

Can confirm. As kids our vans were absolutely beat to shit.

Our v8 expedition didn’t fare any better though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My dad treated our vans with care and love. The Odyssey still shit out three or four transmissions though.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:17 pm My dad treated our vans with care and love. The Odyssey still shit out three or four transmissions though.
Our old Chrysler did that. Shit out like 4 transmissions.
The dodge caravan my dad bought to replace it… transmission literally exploded a day after he bought it. Towed it back to the dealer and got his money back.
Our ford wind star was fine. It was abused hard and kept chugging along.
Our expedition ejected a spark plug through the hood at 120k miles. And then the transmission died.

Yeah I dunno man. They’re workhorse vehicles. They get used hard.

Sienna seems like the answer. I finally got Lisa to ok test driving one, after she started watching how much easier the vans are to deal with at preschool drop off.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 am

Sienna seems like the answer. I finally got Lisa to ok test driving one, after she started watching how much easier the vans are to deal with at preschool drop off.
everyone hates a :minivan: till you see the practical side. We'd have gotten another over the qx80 if they had the nuts to tow the camper; most top out at about 4k lbs.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 am

everyone hates a :minivan: till you see the practical side. We'd have gotten another over the qx80 if they had the nuts to tow the camper; most top out at about 4k lbs.
Yeah they’re not the best tow vehicles. Our expedition was a lot better at towing our little camper than the wind star was.
Johnny_P

Not a bad suggestion for longevity overall but will have old car bs problems, and likely will get about 10 mpg.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am

Not a bad suggestion for longevity overall but will have old car bs problems, and likely will get about 10 mpg.
Yea but it won’t have a 40k car note …

40k at todays 5.5% is $183 a month probably enough to pay for gas and repairs. And I’m not even using the cost of borrowing and depreciation. Gas cost is a non issue imo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:41 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am

Yea but it won’t have a 40k car note …

40k at todays 5.5% is $183 a month probably enough to pay for gas and repairs. And I’m not even using the cost of borrowing and depreciation. Gas cost is a non issue imo
JP seems pretty hung up on gas costs. :iono: I'm with you it is but a drop in the bucket of vehicle ownershit.