Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:42 am
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:31 am

From Kansas to Pound Town- A love story :lol:
For sure. She was older...22ish.....pretty cool, but just cute, not anything stellar. A guy in our group, who was the high school jock 6'5" buffasaurus, of course hooks up with the hot blonde with the giant boobs. ....the cute chick's friend. Funny thing was after I rolled off this chick and we started talking, I find out buff is striking out downstairs because the hot chick is also a religious whacko.

The crazy vs. hot graph, as much of an immutable truth then as now.
Appreciate the background here as well :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:31 am

From Kansas to Pound Town- A love story :lol:
For sure. She was older...22ish.....pretty cool, but just cute, not anything stellar. A guy in our group, who was the high school jock 6'5" buffasaurus, of course hooks up with the hot blonde with the giant boobs. ....the cute chick's friend. Funny thing was after I rolled off this chick and we started talking, I find out buff is striking out downstairs because the hot chick is also a religious whacko.

5/7 story, would read again.

Back in the day if looking to get some quick poon I feel like the second or third most attractive in a group was usually the one to talk to :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:50 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:23 pm Gah, I’m having to manage my new inside sales rep, my one good guy is miserable and wants to quit, third one at least takes care of her own shit but has not much common sense. Add managing a team to my mounting list of duties for 30k less/year than I made in 2019….

:gag:
thats terrible man. My salary is stagnant now. I'm looking to pull some real large projects in. I've been transitioned to BD/Client Sales/PM for some small efforts or if the client mandates I am the PM.
Nice, welcome to the BD world. Hopefully I'll be getting a salary increase next month, probably another 3%. The dive has been in the commission side. They have just made the comp plan here shittier and shittier over time, so while my salary is almost double when I started in 2018, I'm making the same or less money overall. Kind of blows but there's really no jobs out there in my field when I search, so it be what it be. It's still at least a decent paycheck.

It's funny, the handful of jobs out there in the audiovisual manufacturing channel that I do see go one of two ways: traditional hardware companies like Sony have jobs listed but pay maxes out at like $90K with commish which is quite a downgrade. The other are software companies like Zoom where the pay maxes out at like $250K+ which sounds awesome but A. they're very boring products to sell and B. they get like 2,000 applicants because of the pay being so high.
max225

250k+ for a sales job as such seems insanely high. You’d have to clear 10M in sales to cover that salary
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am 250k+ for a sales job as such seems insanely high. You’d have to clear 10M in sales to cover that salary
Indeed, it's a lot and not so common. FWIW, my quota for the year is ~$24 million, and I certainly don't make that much. Kind of wild that my quota is over 2% of the company's annual revenue. And yet, we have over 120 salespeople :wtf:
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:45 am
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am 250k+ for a sales job as such seems insanely high. You’d have to clear 10M in sales to cover that salary
Indeed, it's a lot and not so common. FWIW, my quota for the year is ~$24 million, and I certainly don't make that much. Kind of wild that my quota is over 2% of the company's annual revenue. And yet, we have over 120 salespeople :wtf:
Yea. Your grievances make sense.
max225

FWiW sales team comp structures are some of the most heavily contested topics of discussion at most companies.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Wait, is the average commission for SaaS really 10%?

https://www.quotapath.com/blog/standard ... ercentage/

You'd only have to sell $2.5M to make $250k?

:mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:51 am FWiW sales team comp structures are some of the most heavily contested topics of discussion at most companies.
I 100% believe this. They have changed our commission plan in one way or another every year I've been here, at some points drastically. At one point I randomly got a ~20% salary increase so they could reduce commissions. It just got really :bs: when we reorged in 2023 early on. They capped commissions, changed it from monthly to quarterly, lowered the $ amount for each % over quota, etc. It's an absolutely garbage plan though. Because my quota is probably the highest in the company, I make the least money per revenue than anyone else. Basically, the more senior you get and more you grow your business, the worse your commission gets.

But here we are, nothing else out there it seems, so I should stop bitching.
max225

coogles wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 am Wait, is the average commission for SaaS really 10%?

Because theoretically it’s recurring revenue. I’d be more curious if it’s for the contract value (if it’s multi year) or the first year etc. there are 100s of variables. And most saas companies are not “cash” cows as they are heavily laden with opex etc. their valuations are heavily tied to “growth” so it makes sense that their comp structures reflect the most aggressive sales incentives
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:29 am

5/7 story, would read again.

Back in the day if looking to get some quick poon I feel like the second or third most attractive in a group was usually the one to talk to :lolol:
Absolutely.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:56 am
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:51 am FWiW sales team comp structures are some of the most heavily contested topics of discussion at most companies.
I 100% believe this. They have changed our commission plan in one way or another every year I've been here, at some points drastically. At one point I randomly got a ~20% salary increase so they could reduce commissions. It just got really :bs: when we reorged in 2023 early on. They capped commissions, changed it from monthly to quarterly, lowered the $ amount for each % over quota, etc. It's an absolutely garbage plan though. Because my quota is probably the highest in the company, I make the least money per revenue than anyone else. Basically, the more senior you get and more you grow your business, the worse your commission gets.

That’s complete BS by snap doe. That’s like office space and Dunder mufflin rolled into one…

I don’t get why they wouldn’t incentivize you for growing your territory and sales. It should be a linear line, not a bell curve.

I just don’t get that.

I told a friend the other day, who is loyal to this company, that these corporations don’t care about you. If he died tomorrow, they would have him replaced by end of month. You have to look out for yourself.

Which sounds like it sucks cause you seem to enjoy your job and are good at it, but are de-incintivized to be better at it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:00 am
coogles wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 am Wait, is the average commission for SaaS really 10%?

Because theoretically it’s recurring revenue. I’d be more curious if it’s for the contract value (if it’s multi year) or the first year etc. there are 100s of variables. And most saas companies are not “cash” cows as they are heavily laden with opex etc. their valuations are heavily tied to “growth” so it makes sense that their comp structures reflect the most aggressive sales incentives
Yeah I am admittedly not very close to our (Salesforce) sales process, I work in services delivery. No idea what our renewal rates are, but I would guess you can really make a killing if you sell a multi-year deal (which we often do).

It's also a really volatile gig. The turnover amongst our APs and AEs seems far greater than anywhere else.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:27 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:56 am

That’s complete BS by snap doe. That’s like office space and Dunder mufflin rolled into one…

I don’t get why they wouldn’t incentivize you for growing your territory and sales. It should be a linear line, not a bell curve.

I just don’t get that.

I told a friend the other day, who is loyal to this company, that these corporations don’t care about you. If he died tomorrow, they would have him replaced by end of month. You have to look out for yourself.

Which sounds like it sucks cause you seem to enjoy your job and are good at it, but are de-incintivized to be better at it.
I agree 100%, especially at a publicly traded company. Six months after going public is when the pay plan went to complete shit. My old boss left because of the corporate :bs: and he was also the type who really fought to get his people what they deserve.

I do enjoy the actual work of my job (i.e. meeting with customers/dealer partners, showing them products, learning their pain points and trying to solve them, etc.) but the red tape is getting atrocious. I would def leave for the right thing but I do like the industry, so I don't really want to jump ship to say, software sales, that would likely pay more. I'll probably just keep looking and browsing for jobs and eventually something will stick.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Being public has really watered things down though... and a big part of that is the pay. My final salary as an inside sales guy (before commission) was like $75K and this was back in 2021. Now they're offering around $75K all in for that role including commission, and we all know how much inflation has happened. Low and behold, the candidates are a lot worse. They always say they want 'A players' but don't really put their money where their mouth is.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 pm Being public has really watered things down though... and a big part of that is the pay. My final salary as an inside sales guy (before commission) was like $75K and this was back in 2021. Now they're offering around $75K all in for that role including commission, and we all know how much inflation has happened. Low and behold, the candidates are a lot worse. They always say they want 'A players' but don't really put their money where their mouth is.
Going public completely changes a company culture usually. You have shareholders to answer to that want that short term growth quickly, while stripping the primary business owners of control...dream for the business owner who grew the company to cash out, but leaves changes for it's employees in the wake.
max225

All I can say buying non public companies and then integrating them … which we have done 5+ times is an absolute shit show. Everyone ends up leaving and or pissed off
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:10 pm All I can say buying non public companies and then integrating them … which we have done 5+ times is an absolute shit show. Everyone ends up leaving and or pissed off
Except for the upper echeclons of the purchased private company. Those guys are leaving.........but they are none too pissed off.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:18 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:10 pm All I can say buying non public companies and then integrating them … which we have done 5+ times is an absolute shit show. Everyone ends up leaving and or pissed off
Except for the upper echeclons of the purchased private company. Those guys are leaving.........but they are none too pissed off.
Dat golden parachute
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:18 pm
100 golden parachute 5/5 times
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

M&A in general is a shitshow. We bought a bunch of smaller companies, bought one large-ish publc company (Control4), took them private, then went public after that. When I started here the founders had sold to private equity which seemed fine, definitely worse now.
max225

Not sure if anyone gives a fuck. But just an FYI.

I am starting to see lay offs again... a friend of mine got canned in Austin... and quite a few companies are doing quiet lay offs... people just getting canned without official announcements
Last edited by max225 on Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm Not sure if anyone gives a fuck. But just an FYI. I a starting to see lay offs again... a friend of mine got canned in Austin... and quite a few companies are doing quiet lay offs... people just getting canned without official announcements
We’ve had a bunch of secret cannings…

Had to spend some time on the road this week with my boss as I was in Indianapolis and he lives in Indiana. Nice guy but such a weird vibe. My age or a little younger, had zero feedback on my meetings with partners/dealers even when I asked for it, thinks suburban hellscape malls full of chain restaurants are ‘nice areas’ And only eats meat and potatoes literally.

Glad that is over.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm Not sure if anyone gives a fuck. But just an FYI. I a starting to see lay offs again... a friend of mine got canned in Austin... and quite a few companies are doing quiet lay offs... people just getting canned without official announcements

Had to spend some time on the road this week with my boss as I was in Indianapolis and he lives in Indiana. Nice guy but such a weird vibe. My age or a little younger, had zero feedback on my meetings with partners/dealers even when I asked for it, thinks suburban hellscape malls full of chain restaurants are ‘nice areas’ And only eats meat and potatoes literally.

Glad that is over.
Sounds super awkward. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:25 pm

Glad that is over.
I’m speechless