:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea mk7/8 is hard to beat… I almost bought a mk8 if the stealer didn’t have some trade on it with another stealer. They drive great. And it was 31k msrp … way cheaper than a hype R and likely just as punchy midrange… afterwards I did manage to find my taco otherwise it would have been another :egg:

But I can’t do another egg… I feel too old for that shit. And it’s not “special” enough.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

coogles wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:05 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:31 pm You didn’t ask me… but I think yes. However, that’s only if you need the practicality. Type R is pretty impressive at/around MSRP, it’s light, fun, fast, reliable, and can do any dad/work/trip whatever stuff you throw at it. It’s basically what the M3 was in the E36 era.

I think the 86 is pretty equal in fun and also looks better. I would only pay more for the Civic if all the practicality is needed.

To me they’re about equal as fun driver’s cars:

86 wins on RWD, light weight, ‘real’ sports car, looks.

Civic wins on power, lap times, grip.
I'm surely :wrong: but I didn't think the last CTR was all that special to drive. I still had my MK7 at the time and, driving them back to back, on the street the difference was negligible. It was like turning the GTI up from a 7 to and 8. Yeah, the CTR was faster, but it didn't give me much more "fizz" than the GTI did. It felt pretty sedate. The steering was no better, the shifter was marginally better but it's no S2000. If felt like a Civic. I'm guessing the new one will feel the same. :iono: If I wanted an engaging Honda Civic sedan, I'd buy an FA5 and throw a supercharger on it.

The STi I drove right after that was a bit slower but was way more interesting to drive. The engine has more character, the shifter feels more mechanical (because it is, unlike the cable shifter in the CTR), it has hydraulic steering...it all made for a big contrast vs the GTI and CTR.
I haven’t driven the CTR but figured this is what it would’ve been like. The real world isn't a bunch of california canyon roads that every YouTuber drives on.

Go drive that local FL5 and report back.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:00 pm Yea mk7/8 is hard to beat… I almost bought a mk8 if the stealer didn’t have some trade on it with another stealer. They drive great. And it was 31k msrp … way cheaper than a hype R and likely just as punchy midrange… afterwards I did manage to find my taco otherwise it would have been another :egg:

But I can’t do another egg… I feel too old for that shit. And it’s not “special” enough.
:notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I still think eggs are cool and fun. Will be on my list when ever I buy something again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've never had the opportunity to drive an STI unfortunately. I did test drive the last gen WRX on the same day as a MK7 and Civic Si (like 2018 or 2019). I liked the Civic the most as far as driving of the three. It was slow but had the best inputs, IMO. That's kind of the big difference between the Type R and GTI to me, but clearly as Coogs and I have very different opinions, it's kind of subjective. GTIs are just sort of a 7/10 in input engagement to me, shifter is meh, steering is meh, understeer is meh. I'd agree that the engines aren't really remarkably different, Type R is a tad more powerful but nothing else really sets the power train apart.

I do the the GR86 is just a better platform overall if you're looking for pure driver enjoyment but I'm a RWD guy through and through, I generally like Japanese car's 'feel' more than European as well.

The FoRS I drove around the same time as the Type R was pretty special IMO. But much like the GR 'rolla, it's small and shitty inside. I think all this to say, the Type R is cool because it's a great meeting point of usable space, good inputs/feel, speed, car guy cred, longevity, and being somewhat nice inside/out which is preferred when dumping $50K.

As used prices fall though, I'd be sorta tempted to just get an M3 for that kind of cash. Hell, as I think about a 'dad' car, an E90 M3 for $30K or whatever and $20K for repairs/maintenance seems pretty darn enticing as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:36 am
max225 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:00 pm Yea mk7/8 is hard to beat… I almost bought a mk8 if the stealer didn’t have some trade on it with another stealer. They drive great. And it was 31k msrp … way cheaper than a hype R and likely just as punchy midrange… afterwards I did manage to find my taco otherwise it would have been another :egg:

:dat: I don't see how you can be 'too old' for a GTI and not a Hype R or 86?

I was hanging with J-Ho last night in the garage next to my old Beemah and mentioned getting a few compliments on the 86 and one of our other friends was like 'how old were they?' :lolol: He is more of a :truk: guy (has 4R TRD Bro and old Ranger) but still, the point is valid and I'm sure most think my car is juvenile AF, whereas a GTI just kind of looks normal/respectable IMO. I am :aintcare: about all that.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:51 am

I was hanging with J-Ho last night in the garage next to my old Beemah and mentioned getting a few compliments on the 86 and one of our other friends was like 'how old were they?' :lolol: He is more of a :truk: guy (has 4R TRD Bro and old Ranger) but still, the point is valid and I'm sure most think my car is juvenile AF, whereas a GTI just kind of looks normal/respectable IMO. I am :aintcare: about all that.
I think a golf R is a bit more mature and comparable to the Hype R. Hard to say … also we all had these cars 10+ years ago … so yea maybe it’s just that for me
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:49 am I've never had the opportunity to drive an STI unfortunately. I did test drive the last gen WRX on the same day as a MK7 and Civic Si (like 2018 or 2019). I liked the Civic the most as far as driving of the three. It was slow but had the best inputs, IMO. That's kind of the big difference between the Type R and GTI to me, but clearly as Coogs and I have very different opinions, it's kind of subjective. GTIs are just sort of a 7/10 in input engagement to me, shifter is meh, steering is meh, understeer is meh. I'd agree that the engines aren't really remarkably different, Type R is a tad more powerful but nothing else really sets the power train apart.

I do the the GR86 is just a better platform overall if you're looking for pure driver enjoyment but I'm a RWD guy through and through, I generally like Japanese car's 'feel' more than European as well.

The FoRS I drove around the same time as the Type R was pretty special IMO. But much like the GR 'rolla, it's small and shitty inside. I think all this to say, the Type R is cool because it's a great meeting point of usable space, good inputs/feel, speed, car guy cred, longevity, and being somewhat nice inside/out which is preferred when dumping $50K.

As used prices fall though, I'd be sorta tempted to just get an M3 for that kind of cash. Hell, as I think about a 'dad' car, an E90 M3 for $30K or whatever and $20K for repairs/maintenance seems pretty darn enticing as well.
Agreed on all points :mahtroy:

Btw you meant E90 with the V8? Not the F80 ? The E gen is plagued with a lot of issues unfortunately .. and it’s tiny in the back. Like you def can’t put a car seat and someone in the front
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yeah dude :dat: :ellis:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:10 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:49 am I've never had the opportunity to drive an STI unfortunately. I did test drive the last gen WRX on the same day as a MK7 and Civic Si (like 2018 or 2019). I liked the Civic the most as far as driving of the three. It was slow but had the best inputs, IMO. That's kind of the big difference between the Type R and GTI to me, but clearly as Coogs and I have very different opinions, it's kind of subjective. GTIs are just sort of a 7/10 in input engagement to me, shifter is meh, steering is meh, understeer is meh. I'd agree that the engines aren't really remarkably different, Type R is a tad more powerful but nothing else really sets the power train apart.

Agreed on all points :mahtroy:

Btw you meant E90 with the V8? Not the F80 ? The E gen is plagued with a lot of issues unfortunately .. and it’s tiny in the back. Like you def can’t put a car seat and someone in the front
Yeah but E90 seems to be at the bottom of depreciation and is a lot more special. Both that and the F80 are interesting to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:06 am

I think a golf R is a bit more mature and comparable to the Hype R. Hard to say … also we all had these cars 10+ years ago … so yea maybe it’s just that for me
Yep, I also don’t want a GTI because it was like my middle/high school dream car, I got one and had the experience. They’re great but not something I see myself getting again. I do think your average American non enthusiast immediately thinks college kid when they hear Civic though, and VWs are considered a bit classier. Americans love to think European shit is :fancy: when much of the time our stuff is actually better. Just look at the perception of Miller versus Stella or Heineken. They’re all just the Civic/Golf of beers but the former is somehow “trashy”.
max225

So yea in a lot of ways the 86 is very juvenile but I think the main reason for that is price point. But it seems to me that it’s unapologetic in the fact that it’s literally the most attainable sports car … actual sports car not a an econo hatch with a turbo.

That seriousness to me offsets the juvenile nature.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

That hot wheels car comment got me laughing!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Judging by how late you were posting here it sounds like I missed a night.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:30 pm Judging by how late you were posting here it sounds like I missed a night.
You mean early? I woke up at 4:30
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:41 pm https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3Bwwxj ... ayenne-gts

Oh my god I need this
200k mile p car … what could possibly go wrong
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:44 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:41 pm https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3Bwwxj ... ayenne-gts

Oh my god I need this
It all already has.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:30 pm Judging by how late you were posting here it sounds like I missed a night.
:lolol: I just popped in for an hour or two and then went to dinn with the wife.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:45 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:44 pm

It all already has.
:mindblown:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:31 pm

You didn’t ask me… but I think yes. However, that’s only if you need the practicality. Type R is pretty impressive at/around MSRP, it’s light, fun, fast, reliable, and can do any dad/work/trip whatever stuff you throw at it. It’s basically what the M3 was in the E36 era.

I think the 86 is pretty equal in fun and also looks better. I would only pay more for the Civic if all the practicality is needed.

To me they’re about equal as fun driver’s cars:

86 wins on RWD, light weight, ‘real’ sports car, looks.

Civic wins on power, lap times, grip.
I also want to hear from you, but I figured you just voted with your wallet ;) and I don’t believe you drove the new one. We both drove the old one and I think we both really liked them (dynamics wise). You loved the styling and I hated the last one.

I’d still be really curious about nvh and ride quality. I think I’d have to swap the integra ride module over for a softer ride as the stock R seems too stiff.
I had no idea that was a thing. Just looked it up. I'll be damned! Springs and shocks are literally the same, it's just swapping a box over between them??
max225

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 am
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:53 pm

I also want to hear from you, but I figured you just voted with your wallet ;) and I don’t believe you drove the new one. We both drove the old one and I think we both really liked them (dynamics wise). You loved the styling and I hated the last one.

I’d still be really curious about nvh and ride quality. I think I’d have to swap the integra ride module over for a softer ride as the stock R seems too stiff.
I had no idea that was a thing. Just looked it up. I'll be damned! Springs and shocks are literally the same, it's just swapping a box over between them??
Apparently so.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

STI was an old car that you could buy new. It had pretty massive turbo lag, a notchy shifter, hydraulic steering, and the gas mileage of an old car. To some people, that's unique and endearing, to others it's inefficient and slow. On a back road, it's not like the STI was going to get left completely in the dust by any of its peers because we're all normal people and we won't get anywhere near the limits in these cars on public roads.

Yeah the rough ride of the current CTR would make me not want it and instead go for the Integra, but I like the way it looks a lot better than the Integra which I find kinda ugly. I'm not the target market for either though, I'm more interested in a Grand Highlander or a wagon of some kind. I love the "automatic" or rather lack of a transmission on the CRV, how frugal it is, and how it soaks up bumps. I just wish it was faster. No interest in a manual again around where I live.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:35 pm STI was an old car that you could buy new. It had pretty massive turbo lag, a notchy shifter, hydraulic steering, and the gas mileage of an old car. To some people, that's unique and endearing, to others it's inefficient and slow. On a back road, it's not like the STI was going to get left completely in the dust by any of its peers because we're all normal people and we won't get anywhere near the limits in these cars on public roads.

Yeah the rough ride of the current CTR would make me not want it and instead go for the Integra, but I like the way it looks a lot better than the Integra which I find kinda ugly. I'm not the target market for either though, I'm more interested in a Grand Highlander or a wagon of some kind. I love the "automatic" or rather lack of a transmission on the CRV, how frugal it is, and how it soaks up bumps. I just wish it was faster. No interest in a manual again around where I live.

:dat: is calling your name next year.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:35 pm STI was an old car that you could buy new. It had pretty massive turbo lag, a notchy shifter, hydraulic steering, and the gas mileage of an old car. To some people, that's unique and endearing, to others it's inefficient and slow. On a back road, it's not like the STI was going to get left completely in the dust by any of its peers because we're all normal people and we won't get anywhere near the limits in these cars on public roads.

:dat: is calling your name next year.
Very Lexus. I like it!