Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:50 pm

I'm coming around. First, I installed solar last month, so it is time to further compound the savings. I have to pay $16 in admin charges this month. Not $600. Yes, I forked out a lot, but not taking it from SoCal Edison in the Shawshank Laundry is sweet, sweet victory. That will keep happening for the rest of my life.

Most of my electric car hate stems from the fact that electric cars are almost all 1. overpriced 2. ugly af. This thing is neither. After my fateful ride in a Model Y I will not touch Tesla. For Model S Plaid money I'm buying a Porsche.

I Liked the form factor of my GTI a ton, hatchbacks rule. And if it turns out to be a POS, hey I spent 30 grand and made a mistake. If I spend 80 grand on a POS, I want to kill myself.

I would consider two electrics currently available because they are pleasing to my eye, which is a requirement for me in buying ANY car.
1. i4M50 big dick version of Max's car.
2. Hyundai Ioniq 6. Rear end whale tale is 930 Turboesque.

That's it. No Teslas, no Lucids, no fake trucks.
1. Yes, they are great.
2. If you say the IX is fugly and willing to rock a Korean knock off from a 2003 Infiniti J30. We can’t be friends
Which I don't really like so yeah. IX is ok, I just don't want an electric SUV.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I know I’m wrong but I kinda love the Ioniq 6.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:49 pm I know I’m wrong but I kinda love the Ioniq 6.
:wub:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:28 pm

Vw interior is back to being superior ! And buttons are back
Ive been saying this all along, same thing happened to honda, now its vw's turn
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:28 pm

Who are you and what have you done with Breh
I'm coming around. First, I installed solar last month, so it is time to further compound the savings. I have to pay $16 in admin charges this month. Not $600. Yes, I forked out a lot, but not taking it from SoCal Edison in the Shawshank Laundry is sweet, sweet victory. That will keep happening for the rest of my life.

Most of my electric car hate stems from the fact that electric cars are almost all 1. overpriced 2. ugly af. This thing is neither. After my fateful ride in a Model Y I will not touch Tesla. For Model S Plaid money I'm buying a Porsche.

I Liked the form factor of my GTI a ton, hatchbacks rule. And if it turns out to be a POS, hey I spent 30 grand and made a mistake. If I spend 80 grand on a POS, I want to kill myself.

I would consider two electrics currently available because they are pleasing to my eye, which is a requirement for me in buying ANY car.
1. i4M50 big dick version of Max's car.
2. Hyundai Ioniq 6. Rear end whale tale is 930 Turboesque.

That's it. No Teslas, no Lucids, no fake trucks.
I recently rented a polestar 2 with dual motor via hertz. That fucker is fun, but charging is a little bitch
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Now that were on the subject of ev's? I really like this neat little thing. Its got dual motor so its hella quick. Its a great dc car. It east range when driving 70+ on hwy doe but barely goes down on my commute

No push to start, brake and drive or reverse is the ignition

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:12 pm Image
:dead:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I still need to drive one of the 2.4L variants.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:47 am
If you're ever in the Charlotte area, let me know and you can take mine for a spin!
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:08 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:47 am

If you're ever in the Charlotte area, let me know and you can take mine for a spin!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I don’t understand the slow thing. They’re not that slow? My CRV is slow as molasses. This isn’t?

Even the 2.0 model was pretty damn fun and quick enough.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:09 pm I don’t understand the slow thing. They’re not that slow? My CRV is slow as molasses. This isn’t?

It's a two seat sports car with facial aspirations that oversell under the hood. There are two many flares and flaps and duckbills for the :flaccid: motor that lies within. The Miata is a different story....simple looking sports car with skinny tires. No oversell.

Your CRV and the twins. They are not the same.
Desertbreh

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:08 pm

:greatsmilie^^^^^^:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:09 pm I don’t understand the slow thing. They’re not that slow? My CRV is slow as molasses. This isn’t?

Yea I am :notsure: about a 2.slow powered BRZ. That engine is trash. The 2.4 at least has some small :balls:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

It's not slow anymore no
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's all relative, it's decent. It's not an amazing motor. It does have some decent torque around 3-4K RPMs, it's a bit :flaccid: as you wind it out and it never really quite feels like it's pulling hard. It's plenty for me to have fun with personally but I could see it being 'slow as balls' to people used to big power, people who live in TX/Midwest, etc.
Huckleberry

A big problem these days is that all of the internet br0s think that anything with less than 600 horsepower at the wheels is a waste of money. They spend too much time on YouTube watching hero dyno runs where someone took a junkyard 4.8 and an Ali Express turbo and laid down 800 HP. The videos never show the pile of failed engines sitting offscreen or any sort of a follow-up showing how long the engine lasted. Combine this with manufacturers pumping out halo models with stupid power numbers, and we've really exacerbated the issue with people thinking that horsepower numbers are the most important aspect of the car.

People forget that the coveted 240Z wasn't knocking anyone's socks off in the power department. Yet, it has remained an automotive icon due to its well-balanced driving characteristics, timeless design, and relative affordability. The Miata has endured for the same reasons. Can a car be underpowered? Certainly. But a lot of people don't realize that a car can just as easily be overpowered, and those are also not very fun to drive. Hell, even the driver who got Chevy's official Nürburgring time for the C6 Z06 said the car was a handful when going all-out, and that was a Corvette with only 500 horsepower at the crank.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I rented a mazda 3 :manuel: for my socal trip in April, but I also found a brz as well, also type r (even though i drive a gluten free type r motor) as well thats :manuel: its only gonna be :tits: and i and most likely we won't intend to catch up people, but even then the back seat they can handle for short trips.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also things have been busy, chasing xmas shopping and now im doing the last bound of that tomorrow and then im all set. Planning on bringing my ipad so i can dfd for a short period with y'all.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm A big problem these days is that all of the internet br0s think that anything with less than 600 horsepower at the wheels is a waste of money. They spend too much time on YouTube watching hero dyno runs where someone took a junkyard 4.8 and an Ali Express turbo and laid down 800 HP. The videos never show the pile of failed engines sitting offscreen or any sort of a follow-up showing how long the engine lasted. Combine this with manufacturers pumping out halo models with stupid power numbers, and we've really exacerbated the issue with people thinking that horsepower numbers are the most important aspect of the car.

People forget that the coveted 240Z wasn't knocking anyone's socks off in the power department. Yet, it has remained an automotive icon due to its well-balanced driving characteristics, timeless design, and relative affordability. The Miata has endured for the same reasons. Can a car be underpowered? Certainly. But a lot of people don't realize that a car can just as easily be overpowered, and those are also not very fun to drive. Hell, even the driver who got Chevy's official Nürburgring time for the C6 Z06 said the car was a handful when going all-out, and that was a Corvette with only 500 horsepower at the crank.
:bravo:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:31 pm I rented a mazda 3 :manuel: for my socal trip in April, but I also found a brz as well, also type r (even though i drive a gluten free type r motor) as well thats :manuel: its only gonna be :tits: and i and most likely we won't intend to catch up people, but even then the back seat they can handle for short trips.
Where are you?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm A big problem these days is that all of the internet br0s think that anything with less than 600 horsepower at the wheels is a waste of money. They spend too much time on YouTube watching hero dyno runs where someone took a junkyard 4.8 and an Ali Express turbo and laid down 800 HP. The videos never show the pile of failed engines sitting offscreen or any sort of a follow-up showing how long the engine lasted. Combine this with manufacturers pumping out halo models with stupid power numbers, and we've really exacerbated the issue with people thinking that horsepower numbers are the most important aspect of the car.

Agreed. I think it's also just very location/lifestyle dependent. If all you do is commute on freeways, sure, power is amusing and having a 'great chassis' isn't really that exciting. The 86 is not a great highway cruiser. I've taken it on trips to Atlanta and Raleigh for work, drove it home from MS to NC, and it's certainly OK but highway passing power is just adequate, ride isn't the best, it's noisy inside, and the stereo kind of sucks. I've also taken it to TOTD and other mountain roads quite a few times. I drove it back to back with :melon: Camaro on TOTD and to me it's more fun on roads like that than the big power Camaro (both are great). I like the fact that it's well balanced and manageable.

On track I'd rank the 86 and the Corvette as pretty equal in fun. I'd probably recommend an 86 higher if you're beginner to intermediate as it's a bit easier to manage when you're not hitting 145 on back straights at VIR or Charlotte Motor Speedway (that is fun though).

I am also in a relatively urban environment and my Corvette was pretty shitty at this, the 86 is great. It doesn't scrape anywhere, you can go tail happy without being a total shit bag, it's very easy to park, you can bang through some gears coming off a light without going to jail.

If I lived in DFW or something, I think the 86 would be a pretty meh car and I'd rather a Camaro/Mustang/Corvette.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I think it has plenty of power.

I took mine out the other night for a bit. It's a great car. Just a few things I need to do to really be 100% happy with it. I feel like I've fully addressed the sound system and clutch feel. I have some knee pads I need to install so I stop having to brace myself against the plastic console pieces. I need to unplug the fake engine noise speaker. The only other thing is shifter feel. It still feels very sloppy and rubbery to me. Too many years of S2000 + Miata have ruined me I think.

I might try a transmission mount and bushing swap to see if that helps. I'm hesitant to go down the short shifter route. That creates other problems in the problem. I'm more trying to get the slop out of it than shorten the length of the throw.