Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:37 pm I guess they aren’t selling at all… I don’t even know where a Nissan :dillerman: near me is, so haven’t seen one there either.

I’m also quite perplexed on the Nismo being auto only, don’t think anyone wants an auto Z.
Plus somewhere along the line they adopted the Elantra N Line red lower stripe which I am not a proponent of.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:37 pm I guess they aren’t selling at all… I don’t even know where a Nissan :dillerman: near me is, so haven’t seen one there either.

I’m also quite perplexed on the Nismo being auto only, don’t think anyone wants an auto Z.
Plus somewhere along the line they adopted the Elantra N Line red lower stripe which I am not a proponent of.
2015 Juke Nismo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:45 pm

I think the stealershits were marking them up to the sky... so coupled with the fact that they raised the marks... it made them near 6 figure propositions. :disgust:
Wouldn't they give up on that when no one bought them though?

Or maybe some real dummies paid that much for them and now think they're too valuable to drive?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I believe Nissan has had trouble producing them so dealers are hoping the scarcity will increase transaction prices but they're forgetting the badge on the hood.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:32 pm I believe Nissan has had trouble producing them so dealers are hoping the scarcity will increase transaction prices but they're forgetting the badge on the hood.
That
They’re treating them like Ferraris since they’re unobtainable. Likely not costing them much to keep it in stock in the showroom either. Why not hang onto it for the dumbass that’s willing to spend $20k over?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Neither are Nismo, but two of the dealerships near me both have one Z each. A sport in black for $44k, and a Performance at $54k.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I have rented and been in a bunch of Hyundai's (and Kia's) in my life.

I will say this, this CUV of a rental is a fucking joke.

I feel like I'm driving a chevy, mainly with the bad shade of brown interior.

Uncomfortable af seats, very sensitive driving assistance and worst of all, has worse ride quality than my accord has ever been with 19"s. Everything else like way it drives is typical kia, hyundai. They're kind of like a toy. My favorite one is a 2015 i20 in Turkey with 5 mt and a 1.3 n/a engine.

I was trying to parallel park because DC, and theres a person behind me leaving me roughly a car and a half space, it triggered that there as a car and I had to slam the gas to disable it, its like trying to accelerate with hand brake up :rolleyes:

Small CSB:
As I was returning the car, 2 lanes were merging into one as approaching to a ramp. I had an 400 ib impatient betty with a double chin in her malibu riding my ass, at that point when the lines ended, she decided to pass me as I have cars in front of me. Tried to squeeze her fatass in, which forces me to ride the persons ass in front. She gave up and at the time I almost forgot about the collision warning where it triggered to brake hard that I skidded the tires causing an unintentional brake check. The look on her face was priceless and she was pissed. :hue:

Also the collision warning requires me to press a couple buttons to disable it 10 times, my accord on the other hand, it is cake and very intuitive.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Jelly belly cross overs are just about the worst vehicles on the planet for enthusiasts.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:49 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:32 pm I believe Nissan has had trouble producing them so dealers are hoping the scarcity will increase transaction prices but they're forgetting the badge on the hood.
That
They’re treating them like Ferraris since they’re unobtainable. Likely not costing them much to keep it in stock in the showroom either. Why not hang onto it for the dumbass that’s willing to spend $20k over?
Because theres always going to be someone that will eat it up.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:21 am Jelly belly cross overs are just about the worst vehicles on the planet for enthusiasts.
its an "upgrade" from hertz. Ive driven CUV's like that that are far better. My dads explorer is much better in everyway, and I did not expect the ride quality to be awful.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:23 am
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:21 am Jelly belly cross overs are just about the worst vehicles on the planet for enthusiasts.
its an "upgrade" from hertz. Ive driven CUV's like that that are far better. My dads explorer is much better in everyway, and I did not expect the ride quality to be awful.
I check the tire pressure on all my rentals. The last altima I had was at 50psi all around... they literally pumped them up to the MAX level... once I adjusted it back down to 35 the car drove great. That thing looks like it is on balloony tires it should ride ok.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have a Toyota Crown rental this week in NJ :popcorn:

It's kinda aight so far. I don't really think it's attractive, basically a slightly luxo Prius.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:28 am I have a Toyota Crown rental this week in NJ :popcorn:

It's kinda aight so far. I don't really think it's attractive, basically a slightly luxo Prius.
Whoa... that's a random AF. look into the build quality and see if you can tell a difference between that and a camry... the Crown is actually MADE IN JAPAN.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:38 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:28 am I have a Toyota Crown rental this week in NJ :popcorn:

Whoa... that's a random AF. look into the build quality and see if you can tell a difference between that and a camry... the Crown is actually MADE IN JAPAN.
I can actually tell a difference from an ohio built accord to a japanese built cucktrek. cucktrek literally feels more solid.

Also curious about the crown.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Needs more deets after return.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:26 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:23 am

I check the tire pressure on all my rentals. The last altima I had was at 50psi all around... they literally pumped them up to the MAX level... once I adjusted it back down to 35 the car drove great. That thing looks like it is on balloony tires it should ride ok.
perhaps that could've been a culprit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's a car I barely realized existed so thought it could be entertaining to give it a whirl.

Definitely zero complaints about quality, it's a nice thing, I don't think anyone will buy it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:53 am

It's a car I barely realized existed so thought it could be entertaining to give it a whirl.

Definitely zero complaints about quality, it's a nice thing, I don't think anyone will buy it.
It's essentially a resurrection of the avalon. So some retiree somewhere is putting their dentures on to go for a test drive
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Old ladies in CLT are buying them
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Ive seen a dozen and someone in my apartment has one
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My ~75 year old neighbor lady does rock a 20ish year old Avalon, maybe she's due for an upgrade.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:28 pm My ~75 year old neighbor lady does rock a 20ish year old Avalon, maybe she's due for an upgrade.
:jimp:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:28 pm My ~75 year old neighbor lady does rock a 20ish year old Avalon, maybe she's due for an upgrade.
Peak target demographic
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:54 pm
:jimp:
She's not the worst looking lady for her age, very fit :lolol: