OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Tar wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:26 pm Looks great. What kind of stuff are you guys covering that you need C#? Some heavy metal?
No, my singer isn't really a singer, he's a guitarist but filling the void until we find someone interested in doing this with us. Saying this, he drops songs a half note to help bring down the highs in the vocals. There are literally only two C# tuned songs and both could and should be D tuning. Down by STP and Like a Stoner by Audioslave. It's not worth the hassle and compromise TBH
Ah gotcha. A five string would be a nice pickup for you. Even just so you don’t have to fuck with taking your E down to D tuning ever.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:27 pm

No, my singer isn't really a singer, he's a guitarist but filling the void until we find someone interested in doing this with us. Saying this, he drops songs a half note to help bring down the highs in the vocals. There are literally only two C# tuned songs and both could and should be D tuning. Down by STP and Like a Stoner by Audioslave. It's not worth the hassle and compromise TBH
Ah gotcha. A five string would be a nice pickup for you. Even just so you don’t have to fuck with taking your E down to D tuning ever.
That's true, I may move the carvin for another used (passive) 5-string. I do like how the 4 string neck feels though, but it probably doesn't take long to make the transition. I need to sell before I buy at this point, my wife will kick my ass if I dump anymore money into this hobby 🤣
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Tentative move in date is Dec 10

:fuckyeah:

Can't wait to have a garage again and be able to wash my own cars and change my own oil.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:41 pm Tentative move in date is Dec 10

Can't wait to have a garage again and be able to wash my own cars and change my own oil.
:nice:

I biked by the area yesterday. Pretty solid and not sharing a tiny apartment will be :megusta:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:48 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:41 pm Tentative move in date is Dec 10

I biked by the area yesterday. Pretty solid and not sharing a tiny apartment will be :megusta:
Yeah. I hope buying a couch off marketplace won't be as tough as it was two and a half years ago.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I had a practice last night, spoke to the guitarist about the C# debacle, and he was firm with his stance about keeping the two songs where they are.

He's a smart dude though, suggested stringing the Carvin with thicket strings to get some of the looseness out of then when they are tuned down, as well as adjust the action accordingly.

So I'm going to fix that bitch up and set it up to be a nasty low end monster that covers the C# D songs, and keep the Lakland as is to tackle the D# and standard tuning. :excited:

We are adding Isreals Son to our set list, and I was introduced to Sadros first original. He has better work, but the song I'm learning is really cool and far enough along to perform on stage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:59 am

I had a practice last night, spoke to the guitarist about the C# debacle, and he was firm with his stance about keeping the two songs where they are.

He's a smart dude though, suggested stringing the Carvin with thicket strings to get some of the looseness out of then when they are tuned down, as well as adjust the action accordingly.

So I'm going to fix that bitch up and set it up to be a nasty low end monster that covers the C# D songs, and keep the Lakland as is to tackle the D# and standard tuning. :excited:

We are adding Isreals Son to our set list, and I was introduced to Sadros first original. He has better work, but the song I'm learning is really cool and far enough along to perform on stage.
Yeah, I do get it, I was always the vocalist in all my bands and your range kinda is what it is, if you need an alt tuning there's not really any way to avoid it.

I've never played a five string but that may present it's own challenges as all of the fingerings and whatnot would be different than how the song was written and may present challenges. I think setting up the Carvin for it is a solid plan.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:48 pm

Yeah. I hope buying a couch off marketplace won't be as tough as it was two and a half years ago.
I think the days of 'shortages' are long gone, there is a plethora of options out there I bet. Find someone desperate for some Christmas cash.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:43 am
Tar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:59 am

Yeah, I do get it, I was always the vocalist in all my bands and your range kinda is what it is, if you need an alt tuning there's not really any way to avoid it.

I've never played a five string but that may present it's own challenges as all of the fingerings and whatnot would be different than how the song was written and may present challenges. I think setting up the Carvin for it is a solid plan.
Agreed on all of the above, I do want to find a good shop to look it over and swap strings, if the gage is going to change. I think the nut needs to be filed for a bigger girth :hubba: , and while they are in there I will have them solder a new output jack onto the thing. I am starting to suspect a bad/worn out connector. I'm kinda :excited: about the plan moving forward.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:17 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:43 am

Agreed on all of the above, I do want to find a good shop to look it over and swap strings, if the gage is going to change. I think the nut needs to be filed for a bigger girth :hubba: , and while they are in there I will have them solder a new output jack onto the thing. I am starting to suspect a bad/worn out connector. I'm kinda :excited: about the plan moving forward.
Yep, 4/5 times the output jack is the problem when experiencing issues like you described. The connections just wear out with use as the 1/4" cables are inserted over and over :hue:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oof

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am Oof

:lolol: :foreveralone:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:gay:

:lolol:

Hmm, maybe I should take up keys, seems like a :notbad: life.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:42 am

:lolol: :foreveralone:
:lol: :dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:04 pm

:gay:

:lolol:

Hmm, maybe I should take up keys, seems like a :notbad: life.
:doit:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Hilarious
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:18 pm

:ohdang: maybe I should schedule a work trip then. East Coast DFD :dock:
March 14: "DFD bought a house"
Did someone say, dfd frat house of sorts?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:29 pm I like flying Alaska. Have only done one or two American flights they were fine. United was shit every time I flew them.
I barely flew domestic until recently, cause i used to have a little more free time off work compared to almost the last 2 years. I flew delta, united, and american airlines.

Flew united to Netherlands and back to get to Turkey 2 summers ago, it seemed fine

Delta for Colorado, and it was only delayed by 10 mins, not a big deal.

American airlines for recent trip
To FL.

I feel like i have equal experiences. But when I used to travel with family, I remember they had inconveniences. Around middle/early high school, there weren't lot of flights flying to Turkey so we would actually rent a car and drive to newark or jfk airport aka NY. In newark, there was a family behind us who are a little impatient and kind of assholes and when we were called next in line, some bitch who worked at united told us that the person behind us next. My mom went full karen on her and that :derp: bitch raised her house and I remember my freshmen high school self told her you don't talk to my mother like that. My family travels a lot and she called the corporate on her ass.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Played the worst round of golf I've ever played, but the carts were mint. So I guess that's something.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:50 pm Played the worst round of golf I've ever played, but the carts were mint. So I guess that's something.
:ohdang:

It was probably still better than my best. At least it was warm.
SAWCE

Michelle made a pot-roast last night and I did dinner rolls from scratch using a recipe of my mom’s. So good. Need to get some of her other bread recipes from my sisters and have a Sunday roast with fresh bread become a weekly thing.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:35 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:50 pm Played the worst round of golf I've ever played, but the carts were mint. So I guess that's something.
:ohdang:

It was probably still better than my best. At least it was warm.
The carts had like 9" touch screens with GPS and maps of the course (not new tech but the biggest and nicest version I've seen), USB ports, Bluetooth, built in speakers, and I think an iHeart integration since I was able to find 103.3 The Edge from Buffalo and have that playing. They were also Li battery carts so the acceleration was :nice:

Yes it was 70 and overcast.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Im still surprised we haven't even gotten to a new page yet after 6 days
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:45 pm Im still surprised we haven't even gotten to a new page yet after 6 days
Hey bro, yeah it's been slow. Perfect time to ask you about something you posted earlier, I may he mistaken. Did you go see a doctor about chronically stuffy sinuses? If so, how did it work out?
SAWCE

Got mom’s recipes for this French bread loaf and a whole wheat bread too. Stoked. The whole wheat recipe fries up nicely as scones too. Used to have that as a kid on weekends sometimes… would wake up with the house smelling like fresh bread and fry oil.. so good.