OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Slow in here of late. How was everyone’s weekend?

Fairly uneventful for me, went out for food/drinks/music Friday night with the wife and another couple.

Saturday I biked down to my parents to hang with my dad most of the day and give my mom a break. I took him out to his home town/family cemetery which he seemed to enjoy.

Sunday worked in the yard/starting to set up the new shed. I need to grab some pics but the yard sitch is coming along nicely. It’s been a lot of work. Getting two more trees this weekend, finishing the loft in the shed, and installing some bike/tool storage this week.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:31 am Slow in here of late. How was everyone’s weekend?

Fairly uneventful for me, went out for food/drinks/music Friday night with the wife and another couple.

Saturday I biked down to my parents to hang with my dad most of the day and give my mom a break. I took him out to his home town/family cemetery which he seemed to enjoy.

Sunday worked in the yard/starting to set up the new shed. I need to grab some pics but the yard sitch is coming along nicely. It’s been a lot of work. Getting two more trees this weekend, finishing the loft in the shed, and installing some bike/tool storage this week.
Was last weekend before returning to work so tried to do a few things.... had people over friday (dude whose car ended up being stolen) then sat went to a retired airbase, where I shot the pic of the IX in my thread... walked kid on airfield with dog and ended up getting 2 beers at a brewery on site... did some tree pruning and gutter cleaning over the weekend also as fall is certainly coming.

EH fairly boring "dad" life.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:31 am Slow in here of late. How was everyone’s weekend?

busy, good.

Wine festival downtown thursday, camping friday-sun, wiskey festival saturday night.

just busy averall. Trying to get HELOC setup. getting carpet redone in sons room and basement apt. setting up shed/shop. brainstorming on how to use screen porch now that all my shop shit is off of it. Hope to have a productive weekend, but lots of rain forecast. :/

and it looks like my respberry pi server died. IDK whats up but im just upgrading to the 4b and may try to see if it will work with the SD card for the retro pi. I suspect after 5 years the SD card is faulty due to the number of read/writes, but again not spending the 5+ hours to set it all up just to have to do it again if it failed for some other reason. only 130 bucks for new shit...trying to stop living like a poor person and all.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:41 am

busy, good.

Wine festival downtown thursday, camping friday-sun, wiskey festival saturday night.

just busy averall. Trying to get HELOC setup. getting carpet redone in sons room and basement apt. setting up shed/shop. brainstorming on how to use screen porch now that all my shop shit is off of it. Hope to have a productive weekend, but lots of rain forecast. :/

and it looks like my respberry pi server died. IDK whats up but im just upgrading to the 4b and may try to see if it will work with the SD card for the retro pi. I suspect after 5 years the SD card is faulty due to the number of read/writes, but again not spending the 5+ hours to set it all up just to have to do it again if it failed for some other reason. only 130 bucks for new shit...trying to stop living like a poor person and all.
Are HELOC rates the same as mortgage rates (8%)?

I'm a bit :disappoint: on rain this weekend as well... nothing but sunshine throughout the workweek. We really need the rain, so I'll take it, but why not during the week :lolol: ?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:52 am

busy, good.

I'm a bit :disappoint: on rain this weekend as well... nothing but sunshine throughout the workweek. We really need the rain, so I'll take it, but why not during the week :lolol: ?
Yea about the same.

upside to rain is i have an excuse to be IN THE SHOP and really organize it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Took Monday-Wednesday off without realizing we have Friday off as observed Veteran's Day. Gonna go in on Thursday to catch up with my direct report and then enjoy the long weekend.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

busy, good.

Heloc is usually +2-3… closer to 10% if I had to guess.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:45 pm

they told me 8.75
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:58 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:45 pm

they told me 8.75
:notbad: is it a fixed or variable rate on that Heloc ? Also what are you going to use that for? that's pretty expensive capital.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:00 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:58 pm

they told me 8.75
:notbad: is it a fixed or variable rate on that Heloc ? Also what are you going to use that for? that's pretty expensive capital.
Helocs are all variable unless you take a large distribution for a project and lock in.

I'm not actually planning on using it for anything specific. Might pay off the shed/shop few k left just to test out the process. Really just want to have it in case something expensive needs to be done on the house, you know try to keep the house shit tied up in house shit. New HVAC is definitely on the horizon tho.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm pretty committed to borrowing zero money until (if/when) things change. We will ride out the Wrangler loan at 3.5% (which felt quite expensive at the time :lolol: ) and carry on with the mortgage, but I'm not in a 'if I can't pay cash, I can't afford it' mode.

That said I guess having a HELOC at the ready isn't the worst plan for emergencies.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:38 pm I'm pretty committed to borrowing zero money until (if/when) things change. We will ride out the Wrangler loan at 3.5% (which felt quite expensive at the time :lolol: ) and carry on with the mortgage, but I'm not in a 'if I can't pay cash, I can't afford it' mode.

That said I guess having a HELOC at the ready isn't the worst plan for emergencies.
thats really what I'm after here.

Flipping the upstairs apartment hurt the savings badly and I'd like to use credit for that shit in the future. and 20k for an ac system at 9% is cheaper than putting it on credit cards at 29%.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:17 pm Took Monday-Wednesday off without realizing we have Friday off as observed Veteran's Day. Gonna go in on Thursday to catch up with my direct report and then enjoy the long weekend.
Double long weekends are the best. Im working overtime this week and next week then I have 5 days off for thanksgiving.

Going to :tits: parents house down in Bluefield VA/WV, which is a 5 hour drive. Planning on leaving at 3-4 am to avoid traffic.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Last weekend I had friday and saturday off and I had to work on Sunday morning. But working this whole upcoming weekend and possibly the following weekend as well. On Friday, I took a bike ride at a park that goes through Washington DC geographically, where Griff had done his jog when he visit, I was hella rusty :lol: but I will be back whenever I have the time. Next time, I can actually ride to the national, where most of the museums are located. Roughly a 7-8 mile ride one way. Got to see a friend for the first time since March, but it was a much needed night, then headed over to Rehoboth Beach early morning the next day, went to the brewery with cuzzies.

T'was nice. Sunday afternoon after work was pretty decent too. :tits: and I lounged at home and watched movies.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:17 pm Took Monday-Wednesday off without realizing we have Friday off as observed Veteran's Day. Gonna go in on Thursday to catch up with my direct report and then enjoy the long weekend.
One day week is pretty :notbad:

Are you still at the same company?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:47 pm

Last weekend I had friday and saturday off and I had to work on Sunday morning. But working this whole upcoming weekend and possibly the following weekend as well. On Friday, I took a bike ride at a park that goes through Washington DC geographically, where Griff had done his jog when he visit, I was hella rusty :lol: but I will be back whenever I have the time. Next time, I can actually ride to the national, where most of the museums are located. Roughly a 7-8 mile ride one way. Got to see a friend for the first time since March, but it was a much needed night, then headed over to Rehoboth Beach early morning the next day, went to the brewery with cuzzies.

T'was nice. Sunday afternoon after work was pretty decent too. :tits: and I lounged at home and watched movies.
:notbad: weekend overall. I’m jealous of access to that park/bike ride.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

This past weekend, :tits: had a friend visiting from out of town so while they went off and did :tits: things I spent several hours outside doing end of season stuff, putting the hoses away, trimming back plants, put in some storm windows, etc. Went out to dinner and breakfast, packed up Halloween decorations after our annual party the previous weekend. Had a fire at the firepit. Weather was great. Enjoyable weekend overall.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:09 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:47 pm

Its literally less than half mile away from my apartment.

Also got a rack for the balcony.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:48 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:09 pm

Its literally less than half mile away from my apartment.

Also got a rack for the balcony.

:notbad: Nice that it's up away from potential thieves and out of the rain. I would def make sure to keep the chain lubed up so it doesn't rust being outside.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:12 pm This past weekend, :tits: had a friend visiting from out of town so while they went off and did :tits: things I spent several hours outside doing end of season stuff, putting the hoses away, trimming back plants, put in some storm windows, etc. Went out to dinner and breakfast, packed up Halloween decorations after our annual party the previous weekend. Had a fire at the firepit. Weather was great. Enjoyable weekend overall.
:fuckyeah:

We are evidently full steam ahead on a long fall, it's still pretty warm here, highs in the mid to upper 70s this week, near record.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:01 pm

yes, I am partly bored but partly okay with the situation as it offers me very much needed work-life-balance dealing with 2 kids and a wife with her own business
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 am
wap wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:12 pm This past weekend, :tits: had a friend visiting from out of town so while they went off and did :tits: things I spent several hours outside doing end of season stuff, putting the hoses away, trimming back plants, put in some storm windows, etc. Went out to dinner and breakfast, packed up Halloween decorations after our annual party the previous weekend. Had a fire at the firepit. Weather was great. Enjoyable weekend overall.
:fuckyeah:

We are evidently full steam ahead on a long fall, it's still pretty warm here, highs in the mid to upper 70s this week, near record.
Oh :nice: weather. It's gonna be cooler this weekend, but still sunny and pleasant. I'll take it! We're going to a beer tasting/veterans benefit on Saturday with some friends, which is Armistice Day, aka Veteran's Day. "On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the guns fell silent".
Fun fact, I have an eye doctor appointment Saturday morning on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, lol.
wap

razr390 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:27 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:01 pm

yes, I am partly bored but partly okay with the situation as it offers me very much needed work-life-balance dealing with 2 kids and a wife with her own business
This is so important and undervalued, IMO.

Also, did you guys officially jump the broom?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Weekend was cool. Saturday went to a ski/snow convention thing to try to find some deals on last season’s gear. Michelle ended up with a whole new board and bindings for what just the board would have normally cost :notbad:

Sunday we had planned to go see this hillside where a lumber company planted some larch trees in with all of the evergreens in the shape of a smiley face so when the colors change in the fall the smiley face emerges. Pretty cool. The view from the road wasn’t what I had hoped though, apparently all the shots of it on the interwebs are arial/drone shots. Still cool to see. We decided it’d be even cooler to see on shrooms, so we hit some of those a little before we got there and then just tripped out in the car for a while until they wore off and we could drive home :lol:
razr390

wap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:08 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:27 am

This is so important and undervalued, IMO.

Also, did you guys officially jump the broom?
according to the government no, but we are basically