Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Great updates ty! Also :impressive: mpg for the lifetime that is … 27 is really good.

How many miles are on your 86 now ?
max225

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Oh man. My friend sent a porter to get his winter tires swapped and this happened.

The porter drove too fast around a corner in slick conditions and hit their own service center wall.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:09 pm Oh man. My friend sent a porter to get his winter tires swapped and this happened.

The porter drove too fast around a corner in slick conditions and hit their own service center wall.
Solid 15k in damages
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:yikes:
It was pretty snowy and icy this morning.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:40 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:09 pm Oh man. My friend sent a porter to get his winter tires swapped and this happened.

Solid 15k in damages
The headlight is probably almost $10k
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:nope: my father in law just bought the late 70s Fire Chicken version though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:57 am Great updates ty! Also :impressive: mpg for the lifetime that is … 27 is really good.

How many miles are on your 86 now ?
Rolled over 5k on this trip, up to about 5300.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:21 pm
Deets on the fire chicken.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That is a pretty wild listing. 5 miles doesn't seem like enough to keep things properly lubricated.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:04 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:21 pm

Deets on the fire chicken.
It looks pretty mint in the photos, I haven't seen it in person yet. Curious to know more and will update, maybe trade a drive for a drive in the 86. Pretty good roads out their way.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:05 am
That is a pretty wild listing. 5 miles doesn't seem like enough to keep things properly lubricated.
It's not. That car is just going into someone's collection to sit. After 21 years of sitting, nothing on that vehicle should be trusted to be roadworthy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:05 am

It's not. That car is just going into someone's collection to sit. After 21 years of sitting, nothing on that vehicle should be trusted to be roadworthy.
Hola Amigo!
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:22 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:59 pm

Hola Amigo!
:dat:
:hai: , Hound!
Huckleberry

Hola Amigo!
wap wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:33 pm :dat:
Hai guyz. Sorry I've been away.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:11 pm
Hola Amigo!
No worries. Where you been/watchu been up to?
Any updates on the 944?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hola Amigo!
:whalecum: back :mahman:

Def agreed on this WS6... kind of :sad: They are cool cars but also not something that's insanely special, best used doing burn outs and terrorizing neighborhoods if you ask me.

Also proof that cars aren't really 'investments'... If $33K had gone into the stock market in 2002, it would now be worth $167K. Real estate likely did similar... May as well drive the damn things or not bother buying them. That's not even including storage, insurance, maintenance, shipping, all kinds of other costs associated with vehicle ownershit even if you don't drive.
Huckleberry

wap wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:43 pm

No worries. Where you been/watchu been up to?
Any updates on the 944?
No updates on the 944, unfortunately. It has been sitting with the failed hydraulic throwout since May. I kind of walked away from it and concentrated on replacing the exhaust on the El Camino. I also helped a friend replace the engine in his 2007 Trailblazer, which turned into a nightmare and burned me out. It has also been a nonstop onslaught of diseases being brought home from daycare. October was filled with COVID, the flu, and hand, foot, & mouth.

But I think enough time has passed and I'm going to start taking the 944 apart and try to get this clutch issue resolved.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:30 am

Def agreed on this WS6... kind of :sad: They are cool cars but also not something that's insanely special, best used doing burn outs and terrorizing neighborhoods if you ask me.

Also proof that cars aren't really 'investments'... If $33K had gone into the stock market in 2002, it would now be worth $167K. Real estate likely did similar... May as well drive the damn things or not bother buying them. That's not even including storage, insurance, maintenance, shipping, all kinds of other costs associated with vehicle ownershit even if you don't drive.
I'm going to guess that the person who originally bought this noticed it was the last model year of the Firebird, probably just got done watching some inflated nonsense happen on Barret Jackson, and saw dollar signs. The one thing going for this 4th Gen is it hasn't been converted into a Sloppy Mechanics abomination with an eBay turbo and a fender-exit exhaust.
max225

Now do the same with a Ford GT.

Not every “investment” goes up … it has to be right. Just like the right House in the right hood … Toledo Ohio ain’t looking too hot either
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:14 am

Not every “investment” goes up … it has to be right. Just like the right House in the right hood … Toledo Ohio ain’t looking too hot either
Ford GT was a very low production car. Also, if you bought a Ford GT and drove it every week, you'd still be way up, likely just as much as one that literally has to now remain wrapped in plastic indefinitely.

My point is, buying a new car and sticking it in a shed is fucking dumb, you have a tiny, tiny chance of being the guy smart enough to pick something that beats inflation, let alone the market and even then, you lose very, very little value by actually driving the car.

If this Firebird had 40K miles on it and was still pretty much mint, it would've still gone for $50K+ in my estimation. May as well have enjoyed it all that time rather than jacking off to the plastic wrapped seats.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:23 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:14 am

Ford GT was a very low production car. Also, if you bought a Ford GT and drove it every week, you'd still be way up, likely just as much as one that literally has to now remain wrapped in plastic indefinitely.

My point is, buying a new car and sticking it in a shed is fucking dumb, you have a tiny, tiny chance of being the guy smart enough to pick something that beats inflation, let alone the market and even then, you lose very, very little value by actually driving the car.

If this Firebird had 40K miles on it and was still pretty much mint, it would've still gone for $50K+ in my estimation. May as well have enjoyed it all that time rather than jacking off to the plastic wrapped seats.
My point is money spent wisely on cars goes a long way also. You’re :notwrong: about sticking a fireturd in a garage and expecting gold to form.

I linked it mainly for nostalgia not investment. I haven’t seen a mint F body in 20 years.

It was my dream car in high school and it looks like someone saved one for someone willing to take the plunge. If I had a bigger garage and the price wasn’t that atrocious I may have even considered it
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:40 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:23 am

My point is money spent wisely on cars goes a long way also. You’re :notwrong: about sticking a fireturd in a garage and expecting gold to form.

I linked it mainly for nostalgia not investment. I haven’t seen a mint F body in 20 years.

It was my dream car in high school and it looks like someone saved one for someone willing to take the plunge. If I had a bigger garage and the price wasn’t that atrocious I may have even considered it
I do like it as well, it's honestly just sad to see something like that never get driven or started up when if it was just taken care of, one could easily enjoy for a few thousand miles a year with no real downside. Now it will never drive a mile in its life.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:47 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:40 am

I do like it as well, it's honestly just sad to see something like that never get driven or started up when if it was just taken care of, one could easily enjoy for a few thousand miles a year with no real downside. Now it will never drive a mile in its life.
I was watching a lot of these “barn find” videos where they start cars after 10-20-30’years and they seem ok… I don’t think it’s that bad for that car other than the fuel tank… that may be an issue
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:47 am

I was watching a lot of these “barn find” videos where they start cars after 10-20-30’years and they seem ok… I don’t think it’s that bad for that car other than the fuel tank… that may be an issue
I'm sure it will start just fine. The issue is that it isn't roadworthy despite everything looking new. Rubber ages and I wouldn't trust any rubber component in that vehicle to last on a work commute. Other issues will arise once objects that haven't moved in 21 years are now getting exercised. If someone bought that car and started driving it on a daily basis, I expect the first year would be a repair nightmare.