IX-Lemon Life.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 pm The random dust is from the headliner... :disgust: got it vacuumed up. The entire front of the :lemon: is covered in hard water stains that are super hard to get off. Looks like I'll be practicing my buffing skills. So far McGuires Ultimate Compound and Scratch X and regular polish didn't do shit...

I'll try vinegar/water 50:50 next. I am curious at what will clean this up.
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-SP ... 66923&th=1
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:27 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:49 pm The random dust is from the headliner... :disgust: got it vacuumed up. The entire front of the :lemon: is covered in hard water stains that are super hard to get off. Looks like I'll be practicing my buffing skills. So far McGuires Ultimate Compound and Scratch X and regular polish didn't do shit...

I'll try vinegar/water 50:50 next. I am curious at what will clean this up.
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-SP ... 66923&th=1
Have you used this ? I heard "mixed" things about this.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:31 am
Have you used this ? I heard "mixed" things about this.
I use a dedicated hard water spot remover....this or it's ilk. You have to decalcify or whatever to get the minerals off.....as you noted the usual buffing is not super effective. Hard water spots can be quite a bit of work to get off....it's quite maddening when the wife parks in front of an irrigation head and then the desert sun just bakes that shit right on.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:45 pm Fucking tint shop. I mean it makes sense right. It broke right after tints went on. It’s plausible that they would have dicked with the door panel / speakers while working on it.

Wow. Also yeah ridiculous that an unplugged speaker does this to the car, and ridiculous that these computers can’t just identify what is unplugged. Can’t wait to see these rolling around in the hood in 10 years because nobody can afford to repair them.
It is quite possible but unfortunately I have no proof... could have been a factory fluke also. And frankly... come on... 60 days to figure out that somehow a door tweeter knocks out the entire autonomous system is :fullretard:
The thing you have to look at now is that so much diagnosis/testing/repair is performed through "Guided Fault Finding". The more complex these things get, the more we have to rely on the engineers that build and implement the system. No run of the mill technician at a dealership is going to know to check for this if the GFF doesn't walk through the steps needed to even look for it.

This is on Hans in Germany that didn't write the code to make sure all of the speakers are plugged in or operational to generate a fault.
This is on Joachim in Germany that didn't update the GFF system to make sure the tech knows this is a requirement for the system and to check for it.
This is on Adolf in Germany that designed the system and signed off that it works and is fully supported.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:58 am

It is quite possible but unfortunately I have no proof... could have been a factory fluke also. And frankly... come on... 60 days to figure out that somehow a door tweeter knocks out the entire autonomous system is :fullretard:
The thing you have to look at now is that so much diagnosis/testing/repair is performed through "Guided Fault Finding". The more complex these things get, the more we have to rely on the engineers that build and implement the system. No run of the mill technician at a dealership is going to know to check for this if the GFF doesn't walk through the steps needed to even look for it.

This is on Hans in Germany that didn't write the code to make sure all of the speakers are plugged in or operational to generate a fault.
This is on Joachim in Germany that didn't update the GFF system to make sure the tech knows this is a requirement for the system and to check for it.
This is on Adolf in Germany that designed the system and signed off that it works and is fully supported.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Joachim_Marseille Nice work. The last guy we're familiar with.
max225

The SA mentioned that they were hoping that BMW AG updates this entire trouble shoot workflow based on their feedback. They certainly had them chasing ghosts for no reason. And the fact the "computers" wouldn't tell them WHAT is causing the error, so they kept replacing the computers vs addressing the inputs. Apparently the "sound system" wasn't specifically called out as a trouble shoot starting point anywhere.

I still can't believe the number of GOOD parts replaced for no reason. This whole thing will cost BMW a minimum of 40k possibly closer to 80k on a singular customer once the buyback goes through. This essentially already created a 20k repair bill and a minimum of 40-50k depreciation on the car once they buy me out and are left with a "worthless" car which is frankly completely fine, and could have been fixed in 2hrs and $0 in parts.

If I was on the corp side looking at their financials, heads would be rolling. This is/was stupid. Not to mention they have pissed off a longtime BMW customer... this is my 7th BMW... the wife likely won't set foot in another after all this.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:34 pm

The SA mentioned that they were hoping that BMW AG updates this entire trouble shoot workflow based on their feedback. They certainly had them chasing ghosts for no reason. And the fact the "computers" wouldn't tell them WHAT is causing the error, so they kept replacing the computers vs addressing the inputs. Apparently the "sound system" wasn't specifically called out as a trouble shoot starting point anywhere.

I still can't believe the number of GOOD parts replaced for no reason. This whole thing will cost BMW a minimum of 40k possibly closer to 80k on a singular customer once the buyback goes through. This essentially already created a 20k repair bill and a minimum of 40-50k depreciation on the car once they buy me out and are left with a "worthless" car which is frankly completely fine, and could have been fixed in 2hrs and $0 in parts.

If I was on the corp side looking at their financials, heads would be rolling. This is/was stupid. Not to mention they have pissed off a longtime BMW customer... this is my 7th BMW... the wife likely won't set foot in another after all this.
The good parts will go back and become reman parts. Either way, they account for this on their end. $50k is in their lemon budget... and if they offer you $10-15 to stay in the car they come out ahead.
max225

On my way to work today.... Car drives itself just fine. Best assist in the biz (when it works). Makes a 40 mile commute a breeze

Some interesting things vs the loaner.
Better:
+Seats are more comfortable
+Car leans a lot less in turns etc... suspension is firmer (Sport pack)
+ No rattles or creaks even though this thing was torn apart
+ I can't really tell what they did inside now that I have cleaned it... car is as
+Better looking, tallest midget but almost a non midget
+Idrive 8.5 is markebly better than 8. Easier to use, and better looking. The maps finally look like 2023.

Worse
-Suspension is firmer ...

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

neat, when it works.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

Update from the 1800 folk... Managed to get it "escalated" no idea how far I barked up that chain now... I should hear before end of the week on case.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Well… I called it on tints back on page one or two (along with Brad and Johnny I think).

I also agree with Fled, I don’t see how one could expect dealer techs to find something like this without the computer telling them. If the speaker being unplugged disables the system, then the system should recognize that the speaker is unplugged.

:popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

One positive from this is that clearly cars are going to start depreciating again.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:18 pm Well… I called it on tints back on page one or two (along with Brad and Johnny I think).

I also agree with Fled, I don’t see how one could expect dealer techs to find something like this without the computer telling them. If the speaker being unplugged disables the system, then the system should recognize that the speaker is unplugged.

:popcorn:
Um, :hai:
wap wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:12 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:00 pm Honestly not too worried … but I’m curious if the tint shop did it
That crossed my mind, too. Maybe they covered or somehow messed up a sensor :iono:
Page 51, actually.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

safe to say we all suspected that... but weren't able to prove it out
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

This is remarkably bizarre.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Well y’all think this story is done ? Cuz it ain’t.

1800 people still haven’t gotten the final paperwork from the bmw dealer so they can’t make a decision on the buyback. So this took another 2 phone calls to figure out.

I still don’t know what my „keep the buyback“ options will be. Anything short of 5 figures and it’s getting punted back to bmw I think…

For anyone wondering so far I have received no compensation for any of it … paid multiple monthlies also.

Looks like bmw dealer also perma ruined the paint in the front … the hard water spots couldn’t be removed via the following.
1. Wash
2. Polish
3. Chemical guys water spot remover
4. Polish with 105 cutting compound and orbital DA

I clearly won’t sand the paint here to clear this up… but man this bmw sapphire black metallic paint is shit. This car is only months old.
:disgust:
:wtf:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

You need another silver car.
max225

:ayfkm:
Incompetent imbeciles
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:27 pm Image
:ayfkm:
Incompetent imbeciles
There's always extras of those
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

You don’t need that one
max225

More spares :wub:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Probably time for another 60 days in service
max225

I think given the recent developments … I’m leaning towards the car going the way of the dinosaurs.

It is quite clear that the dealership service department is inept. Given the nature of the issue, the time it took to diagnose, and the subsequent part presents.

I don’t think any $$$$$ will make me want to ride this out into the full 3 years.

The 1800 legal team is coming back tomorrow … and I should hear something then… then again they said it was going to be last Friday before telling me they still haven’t heard from the “warranty” department.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:50 pm I think given the recent developments … I’m leaning towards the car going the way of the dinosaurs.

It is quite clear that the dealership service department is inept. Given the nature of the issue, the time it took to diagnose, and the subsequent part presents.

I don’t think any $$$$$ will make me want to ride this out into the full 3 years.

The 1800 legal team is coming back tomorrow … and I should hear something then… then again they said it was going to be last Friday before telling me they still haven’t heard from the “warranty” department.
I think this is a wise choice... I mean, I don't know what your lease payment is but it must be fairly significant for a $100K vehicle; far too much to deal with this level of tomfoolery. You guys are new parents for fuck's sake, you have better things to do with your time than managing a full BMW service team.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:28 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:50 pm I think given the recent developments … I’m leaning towards the car going the way of the dinosaurs.

I think this is a wise choice... I mean, I don't know what your lease payment is but it must be fairly significant for a $100K vehicle; far too much to deal with this level of tomfoolery. You guys are new parents for fuck's sake, you have better things to do with your time than managing a full BMW service team.
$881 or so and yea it’s just shitty so far. It really makes me want to shy away from the brand.