Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Even the first gen X5 had an available manual and the first gen X3 kept it the entire model run IIRC.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:10 pm https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/the-be ... i.9542684/

Gahhhhhhd damn
$7 a gallon and those old cunts are racking up miles as if they are being paid to drive. :impressive:
max225

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:25 am https://www.putnamfordsanmateo.com/new/ ... cz3m0bdn72

Can anyone explain this to me
What part?
It’s basically a track pack GT
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:48 am
max225 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:25 am https://www.putnamfordsanmateo.com/new/ ... cz3m0bdn72

Can anyone explain this to me
What part?
Who is buying this and why?

The prices on this generation are completely out of control. And the updates are minor at best. 90% of the car seems like it’s back from 2014. The only “real” update is a digital dash… engine, interior, chassis is pretty much a carry over.

In the past gens at least the GT350 had a fancy motor etc …
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That car is the replacement for the GT350. It's just price creep because of this crazy inflation we've experienced since the S550 came out.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:20 am That car is the replacement for the GT350. It's just price creep because of this crazy inflation we've experienced since the S550 came out.
Is argue it isn’t a replacement for the GT350 because it lacks the special motor that revs to 8300… that’s kind of the whole point

Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:08 am
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:48 am

What part?
Who is buying this and why?

The prices on this generation are completely out of control. And the updates are minor at best. 90% of the car seems like it’s back from 2014. The only “real” update is a digital dash… engine, interior, chassis is pretty much a carry over.

In the past gens at least the GT350 had a fancy motor etc …
The Camaro went up astronomically for its final year. The starting price is $32k for a base V6 now. For reference, a 1SS started at $36k in 2016, and people were upset about it being too expensive back then. Now, an LT1 version, which was a trim level created specifically because of the complaints about the cost of the SS, starts at $40k.

But as for the Mustang's pricing, Ford knows it is about to be the only game in town.
max225

So my co worker got a brand new R1S Rivian. I Frigging loved it!

+Great interior quality, everything you touch is high quality, (floor mats, open pore wood dash, suede headliner, seat quality)
+Great screen quality (super fast UI)
+Great ergonomics, everything is where you expect it... unlike my IX/tesla etc.
+Very decent size for what it is ... it feels about Ford explorer sized...
+I didn't spot any production issues, everything worked, paint/panels/interior was all put together well
+Great features (Remote cameras, air suspension, air compressor, 3rd row..., heated/cooled seats, front frunk that is usable)
+Giant great looking brakes/components all over the car seem high quality.

-Camera quality is very medium... I didn't think it was as good as Mercedes + BMW.
-Cost is high... high 90s for this, however it seems worth it... MSRP for msrp its the same as my IX, but it is faster + has a better interior
-Trunk is a little small, with 3rd row up... nothing new here most suffer from it.

///didn't drive it though...

Personally I think this is the best 3 row SUV on the market. If it was under 80k I would consider it... 90k+ seems outrageously expensive for a new company/uncertain future/product support etc.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:53 am

:iono: sort of but they've gotten away from their roots. Where is a smallish, lightish, affordableish fun thing from BMW? Really the M2/3/4 are the only enthusiast cars at this point.
I don’t think affordable and bmw was ever in the same sentence.

What I want to know is where is the affordable mustang ?! A 5.0 is more expensive than a faster m2
The "affordable" Mustang is the base 5.bro. Getrag and sliders and regular suspension. $45K. Want Tremec, Brembros and fancy dampers? $60K plus. You get the same 480hp Coyote with both.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:38 pm

What I want to know is where is the affordable mustang ?! A 5.0 is more expensive than a faster m2
The "affordable" hi-perf Mustang is the base 5.bro. Getrag and sliders and regular suspension. $45K. Want Tremec, Brembros and fancy dampers? $60K plus. You get the same 480hp Coyote with both.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:20 pm So my co worker got a brand new R1S Rivian. I Frigging loved it!

+Great interior quality, everything you touch is high quality, (floor mats, open pore wood dash, suede headliner, seat quality)
+I didn't spot any production issues, everything worked, paint/panels/interior was all put together well
+Great features (Remote cameras, air suspension, air compressor, 3rd row..., heated/cooled seats, front frunk that is usable)

-Camera quality is very medium... I didn't think it was as good as Mercedes + BMW.
-Cost is high... high 90s for this, however it seems worth it... MSRP for msrp its the same as my IX, but it is faster + has a better interior
-Trunk is a little small, with 3rd row up... nothing new here most suffer from it.

Personally I think this is the best 3 row SUV on the market. If it was under 80k I would consider it... 90k+ seems outrageously expensive for a new company/uncertain future/product support etc.
I love how they look. Maybe they'll release a cheaper two motor version like they did with the truck that should put it in the 70's.
max225

The "affordable" Mustang is the base 5.bro. Getrag and sliders and regular suspension. $45K. Want Tremec, Brembros and fancy dampers? $60K plus. You get the same 480hp Coyote with both.
Cloth seats and an engine, chassis and most of the body dating back 10 years screams 45k to me, especially since it was 29,995 at launch.

I predict huge discounts on the current mustang in the near future.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My west coast counterpart at work has an R1T, he was one of the first to get it and has had a great experience over the year or two and loves it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Pretty well optioned 330e with M Sport pack and what I imagine is some tech pack as well with the big heads up display. I DO NOT like the new I drive with everything integrated into the screen I wasn't able to figure anything out while driving and also following directions. The directions in the heads up display was basically just text and useless. Honestly this looks great at night but for ease of use and effectiveness of the available tech I thought the G70 was way better. The widescreen Android auto is nice though. The main infotainment menu with 50 icons looks like a poorly organized mid 2000s windows desktop. The steering wheel is way too THICC but the cat rides nice and got good mpg in hybrid mode.
max225

You can customize what shows on the heads up
Display.

And yea Idrive 8 takes quite a bit to get used to. Once you do though … it’s decent.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:26 am You can customize what shows on the heads up
Display.

And yea Idrive 8 takes quite a bit to get used to. Once you do though … it’s decent.
I was using the steering wheel controls to cycle through whatever the default options are but I didn't think any of them were good. Too focused on style and not enough on quick glance functionality. I would've liked to plug it in to see if I could get to the airport on just battery power alone. The wireless carplay and Android auto is nice though.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:35 am
max225 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:26 am You can customize what shows on the heads up
Display.

I was using the steering wheel controls to cycle through whatever the default options are but I didn't think any of them were good. Too focused on style and not enough on quick glance functionality. I would've liked to plug it in to see if I could get to the airport on just battery power alone. The wireless carplay and Android auto is nice though.
Yea it’s kind of dumb how many things you can customize.

For ex every drive mode has a different dash design. And within each drive mode you can customize the dash design … so you have customization within customization
max225

As a Side Note that interior nearly looks identical to my I4 other than the wheel. I have the non sport non airbag wrapped in leather wheel
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:20 pm So my co worker got a brand new R1S Rivian. I Frigging loved it!

They're really cool. But I agree, too expensive. You can get a dual motor, small battery for just under $80k I think.

The dual motor is the way to go. You save $8,000. Sure, you go from 800+ hp to 530, but it's still fast. 4.5 sec 0-60 is plenty fast for a crossover for me.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:19 pm

Cloth seats and an engine, chassis and most of the body dating back 10 years screams 45k to me, especially since it was 29,995 at launch.

I predict huge discounts on the current mustang in the near future.
Right but in the new e/hybrid world the Coyote powertrain isn't dated, it's "rare"
max225

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9XV064 ... ch-edition

Looks like these are selling for low 80s now … down from the 100+ range.

Imo that’s really :notbad: and rapidly approaching what these cars are “worth”
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Prius continues to Prius.

1910 miles down and just filled for the second time, $32 for 9 gallons.

Lost the ability to charge at work as the charger broke, so I use the battery to work in the morning and hybrid home.

Seats are low key very good. Great lumbar, good bolsters and the softex pleather is nice.

Traffic jam assist is great.

Fantastic appliance. Much recommend.
max225

Those are some cheap ass gas prices :jelly: