Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:11 pm @max what mpg did your TDI typically get? Did short trips kill the mileage?

A used TDI wagon has me curious. Even at $1 more per gallon than 87 octane, if it gets 40 vs a gasoline car getting 30 it’s about break even on the cost front, but with a shitload more torque and better to drive. Obvi more $/mi in fuel than a hybrid though.

One awesome thing about the hybrids. They have all electric air conditioners and steering so they don’t need the engine on. If a ICE car shuts off at a stop light it kills the AC. Which is great in stop and go traffic.
You're a day late. My friend just took in a 2016 Q5 TDI Prestige on trade but a friend of ours claimed it.

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:11 pm @max what mpg did your TDI typically get? Did short trips kill the mileage?

A used TDI wagon has me curious. Even at $1 more per gallon than 87 octane, if it gets 40 vs a gasoline car getting 30 it’s about break even on the cost front, but with a shitload more torque and better to drive. Obvi more $/mi in fuel than a hybrid though.

One awesome thing about the hybrids. They have all electric air conditioners and steering so they don’t need the engine on. If a ICE car shuts off at a stop light it kills the AC. Which is great in stop and go traffic.
My Lifetime average was 35. I don’t care what those random cucks online post. It was impossible to get it over 40 unless you drive under 65mph.

At 75-80mph they get low 30s at best. Also these things are finicky … expensive fuel filters every 20k miles, expensive timing belt and expensive oil changes and dsg fluid changes. I would much rather Prius at this point in time
Yeah good point on the maintenance. I have no patience for needy cars.

I had a few TDI wagons as loaners but I couldn’t remember the mileage they’d return. 30-35 isn’t great if the fuel itself costs 25% more.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:27 pm

You're a day late. My friend just took in a 2016 Q5 TDI Prestige on trade but a friend of ours claimed it.

The big dick Audi 6 cyl diesels are awesome. We had an A6 tdi as a rental in Germany many years ago and that thing hauled ass.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:06 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:27 pm

The big dick Audi 6 cyl diesels are awesome. We had an A6 tdi as a rental in Germany many years ago and that thing hauled ass.
I might snag a his thing from him when he's bored of it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Hot
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Is a charging pic the new “gas station” pic ?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:02 pm Image

Hot
It’s a Prius. No such thing.
Johnny_P

Hot
Wheels are poking out a little too much for me but this gen Prius does look good.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:35 pm

Hot
Wheels are poking out a little too much for me but this gen Prius does look good.
Just needs airbags so it'll camber up a bit with the low
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:35 pm

Just needs airbags so it'll camber up a bit with the low
:jimp:
max225

This was a fascinating vid. Honda really sized down all of the engine parts in the L15 compared to the K series .

They are basically no longer made for durability and overbuilt. Looks like they are basically 75-100k mile motors tops.

Dude talks about mods a lot but it’s interesting to see the compare to the prior gens.

Wonder if the 2 liter is also the same cheap pile
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:11 am Yea :member: when I had an F30 and said the whole thing about them being “fat” and “no longer bmws” was a farce as every reviewer shat on those gens …

I liked my fake sport for what it was but putting 225 series front tires on a 60k performance sedan is still a crime and I stand by it. And why my user name was forcefully changed by the last administration genius’

And look at us today doing the same for the current m2 and the grilles etc. some things never change
I agree but wheel/tire upgrade fixes that problem quite easily. I believe most good cars still require one or two modifications to overcome dumb compromises, it’s the front tires on F30s. Also the :225: size is one thing but they also had hard, shitty run flats… no bueno.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:44 am
max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:11 am Yea :member: when I had an F30 and said the whole thing about them being “fat” and “no longer bmws” was a farce as every reviewer shat on those gens …

I liked my fake sport for what it was but putting 225 series front tires on a 60k performance sedan is still a crime and I stand by it. And why my user name was forcefully changed by the last administration genius’

And look at us today doing the same for the current m2 and the grilles etc. some things never change
I agree but wheel/tire upgrade fixes that problem quite easily. I believe most good cars still require one or two modifications to overcome dumb compromises, it’s the front tires on F30s. Also the :225: size is one thing but they also had hard, shitty run flats… no bueno. The whole wheel tire better dampers thing was fixed easily.......but it wasn't free. Not a lot of people are going to be pumped to add $4500 immediately to a car with a $55K to $60K MSRP......you'd just get the M car.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:47 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:44 am

I agree but wheel/tire upgrade fixes that problem quite easily. I believe most good cars still require one or two modifications to overcome dumb compromises, it’s the front tires on F30s. Also the :225: size is one thing but they also had hard, shitty run flats… no bueno. The whole wheel tire better dampers thing was fixed easily.......but it wasn't free. Not a lot of people are going to be pumped to add $4500 immediately to a car with a $55K to $60K MSRP......you'd just get the M car.
Tucked my response in your quote. :sad:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Rental pickings were slim this week, got a Cammie. Pretty pleasant as usual and it’s in the cool lighter blue color. I’d like it to be a bit sportier. I feel like the adaptive cruise is a lot better than usual on other Toyota rentals, I wonder if there was an update.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:57 pm Rental pickings were slim this week, got a Cammie. Pretty pleasant as usual and it’s in the cool lighter blue color. I’d like it to be a bit sportier. I feel like the adaptive cruise is a lot better than usual on other Toyota rentals, I wonder if there was an update.
Is it at least a hybrid or full on 2.5 poverty spec
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:57 pm Rental pickings were slim this week, got a Cammie. Pretty pleasant as usual and it’s in the cool lighter blue color. I’d like it to be a bit sportier. I feel like the adaptive cruise is a lot better than usual on other Toyota rentals, I wonder if there was an update.
It’s a 2.5 :lolol: I’ve had at least 8 of these as rentals, I prefer them to a truck or SUV but it is pretty slow, even after driving the sub 100 hp Fiat and Aygo.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:32 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:32 pm

It’s a 2.5 :lolol: I’ve had at least 8 of these as rentals, I prefer them to a truck or SUV but it is pretty slow, even after driving the sub 100 hp Fiat and Aygo.
:disgust: after spending 1200 miles in one and immediately driving the 15 year old tsx after, I was reminded of how much of pile those (Camrys) are. Car while smooth and quiet is incredibly dated slow and boring. Just feels low rent for what it is and well overdue for an update …
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Getting a spare BMW key made has been a bit of a fiasco, dont loose your keys guys. Car only came with one so being proactive so i dont get raped later. 225 from pop a lock guy when im sure :dillerman: here, that is universally recognized as awful, would have been 500+

Of course my car is an oddball. its an e9x but comfort access (eg keyless entry) was add on as whole separate module that needs removing and programing for reasons. apparently this is unique to the convertibles somehow. And the kicker.... all three slots were full so new key wont comfort access. Dude didnt want to clear a slot which might burn my other key, and thats understandable since they cant be reused, again for reasons.

Stealing cars must be hard.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:12 am Getting a spare BMW key made has been a bit of a fiasco, dont loose your keys guys. Car only came with one so being proactive so i dont get raped later. 225 from pop a lock guy when im sure :dillerman: here, that is universally recognized as awful, would have been 500+

Of course my car is an oddball. its an e9x but comfort access (eg keyless entry) was add on as whole separate module that needs removing and programing for reasons. apparently this is unique to the convertibles somehow. And the kicker.... all three slots were full so new key wont comfort access. Dude didnt want to clear a slot which might burn my other key, and thats understandable since they cant be reused, again for reasons.

Unless it’s a Hyundai or Kia
Desertbreh

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:12 am Getting a spare BMW key made has been a bit of a fiasco, dont loose your keys guys. Car only came with one so being proactive so i dont get raped later. 225 from pop a lock guy when im sure :dillerman: here, that is universally recognized as awful, would have been 500+

To get a new key for a Mercedes there is zero alternative other than to get a new coded key from MBZ, which is a service offered by a few dealerships. Lose your key and don't have another? Put it on a flatbed and have it driven to a Mercedes dealer. That's it. No locksmith can bail you out. A coded key for a 2006 E350 with zero keyless entry was $380.00.

If you're buying a car that is used enough that $500 is a significant portion of the purchase price one key should be used as a negotiating point. Similarly, if the car is $$$$ one key is not acceptable either.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Stealing new ones is super easy apparently. I've been following this thread for a while but there haven't been many updates. Apparently lots of new bmw's in the northeast are getting stolen this way.

In the the old thread that disappeared he has them on video at like 4am coming to take the car but it was either blocked in or in his garage so they couldn't get to it.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=2025556
golftdibrad1

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:24 pm

To get a new key for a Mercedes there is zero alternative other than to get a new coded key from MBZ, which is a service offered by a few dealerships. Lose your key and don't have another? Put it on a flatbed and have it driven to a Mercedes dealer. That's it. No locksmith can bail you out. A coded key for a 2006 E350 with zero keyless entry was $380.00.

If you're buying a car that is used enough that $500 is a significant portion of the purchase price one key should be used as a negotiating point. Similarly, if the car is $$$$ one key is not acceptable either.
Exactly. I got my car for a song, so I have dealt with this aggravation. When buying from a dealer or for $$$$ two keys is a huge negotiation point I will, and have, walked away from deals on.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:34 pm

Stealing new ones is super easy apparently. I've been following this thread for a while but there haven't been many updates. Apparently lots of new bmw's in the northeast are getting stolen this way.

In the the old thread that disappeared he has them on video at like 4am coming to take the car but it was either blocked in or in his garage so they couldn't get to it.

I still don’t understand who parks 6 figure cars outside in the elements.

You can’t leave simple items outside like a lawnmower, unattended yet somehow it’s been normalized for the second most expensive object in your lives.
golftdibrad1

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:16 pm

I still don’t understand who parks 6 figure cars outside in the elements.

You can’t leave simple items outside like a lawnmower, unattended yet somehow it’s been normalized for the second most expensive object in your lives.
most people have some symbolic presence of law and order in their city, SF is an exception.

:yikes:

Old cars FTW, i guess