IX-Lemon Life.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:56 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:50 pm

Your company at the end of its fiscal year, or do you follow the calendar and are just entering the last quarter of the fiscal year?

They give you any decent amount of paid paternity leave?
Technically I get “epic” parental leave of 18 weeks. But I’m coming back in 3 because otherwise I won’t have a job Imo.

Fiscal year end is not for another 6 months
18 weeks is indeed epic. Too bad they won’t actually let you take all of it. That’s wack. I think we get 16 here which is still a good amount.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:04 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:56 pm

Technically I get “epic” parental leave of 18 weeks. But I’m coming back in 3 because otherwise I won’t have a job Imo.

Fiscal year end is not for another 6 months
18 weeks is indeed epic. Too bad they won’t actually let you take all of it. That’s wack. I think we get 16 here which is still a good amount.
The beauty of .gov jobs is usually that you're "entitled" to it... so I am assuming you will easily be able to take that. And 16 is insanely good. My wife only gets 12... and it was also a bit of a shit show for her, having to go on disability etc.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:55 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:04 pm

The beauty of .gov jobs is usually that you're "entitled" to it... so I am assuming you will easily be able to take that. And 16 is insanely good. My wife only gets 12... and it was also a bit of a shit show for her, having to go on disability etc.
Yeah I’ve heard unfortunate horror stories about people actually trying to use their benefits in the private sector. I’d be so pissed if that happened to me. But not much you can do about it, especially if they’re actually willing to let you go for taking it.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

if you get fired for taking your benefits that are guaranteed to you as part of your employment, you can sue for retaliation and/or file unemployment.

Alternatively, you can use those 18-weeks to search for a new job...

But I understand feeling the pressure of having to come back to work.

Also, in private sector almost all paid parental leave is compensated FMLA, hence why you have to "apply" for short term disability
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:01 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:55 pm

Yeah I’ve heard unfortunate horror stories about people actually trying to use their benefits in the private sector. I’d be so pissed if that happened to me. But not much you can do about it, especially if they’re actually willing to let you go for taking it.
I find it hilarous that they offer you these benefits and for some reason you are atleast threatened to be terminated actually using it. It's like your car is advertised with their launch control and for some reason warranty is void. The :math: ain't :math: ing
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

We only get four weeks of paternity leave, :tits: at our company get 12. Seems like everyone uses it no problem though. A few of my neighbors work for the big banks here (BofA, Wells Fargo) and even the dudes take their full 12 or 16 weeks and they’re not even allowed to check email during that time. I always figured I’d take the time off and just still monitor things from home during it as I’m sure it’s sort of boring being stuck at home in that phase anyway.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:44 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:01 pm

I find it hilarous that they offer you these benefits and for some reason you are atleast threatened to be terminated actually using it. It's like your car is advertised with their launch control and for some reason warranty is void. The :math: ain't :math: ing
This is unique for everyone and depends on your team/role etc. Hard to make a blanket statement that fits all.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:32 am We only get four weeks of paternity leave, :tits: at our company get 12. Seems like everyone uses it no problem though. A few of my neighbors work for the big banks here (BofA, Wells Fargo) and even the dudes take their full 12 or 16 weeks and they’re not even allowed to check email during that time. I always figured I’d take the time off and just still monitor things from home during it as I’m sure it’s sort of boring being stuck at home in that phase anyway.
Because you are basically going on comp'd FMLA. If that happens you are technically not an active employee and therefore access is taken away. It was the same for me when I took my 4-weeks.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:49 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:44 am

This is unique for everyone and depends on your team/role etc. Hard to make a blanket statement that fits all.
I will be honest I understand the anxiety surrounding it. You take all 12 or 18 weeks or whatever and the company still functions, hard not to be paranoid that your role might be deemed "irrelevant/replaceable" especially in this economy. Or you feel out of the loop/useless.

But I will tell you, I highly encourage you to take at least 4-8 weeks if possible. At my place I could split it up in 2-week increments within the first 6 months of life. The value for bonding with the kiddo is irreplaceable, and it really does go by very quickly, especially if you need dr's visits, consultations, etc.

It also gives you some time to create or adjust to your new routine/life, before adding work back into the mix.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:40 am

I will be honest I understand the anxiety surrounding it. You take all 12 or 18 weeks or whatever and the company still functions, hard not to be paranoid that your role might be deemed "irrelevant/replaceable" especially in this economy. Or you feel out of the loop/useless.

But I will tell you, I highly encourage you to take at least 4-8 weeks if possible. At my place I could split it up in 2-week increments within the first 6 months of life. The value for bonding with the kiddo is irreplaceable, and it really does go by very quickly, especially if you need dr's visits, consultations, etc.

It also gives you some time to create or adjust to your new routine/life, before adding work back into the mix.
It seems ideal if you hate your jerb. Take 3 months on the house, get fired, get a lawyer, get another six months of severance, get another job whilst smoking weed and watching the youtubez.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:15 am

It seems ideal if you hate your jerb. Take 3 months on the house, get fired, get a lawyer, get another six months of severance, get another job whilst smoking weed and watching the youtubez.
I mean, if you go seeking that sure it's kinda shitty. But I would also argue would you want to be at an employer long term if they give you a benefit and then catch-22 you if you try to use it? Mind you this wouldn't be like "abusing unlimited PTO' or whatever, this is a legit life event that they are giving employees a benefit for. Who DAFUQ pumps out kids to raise for 18 years just to reap 18-weeks of leave?

So yeah, if that is the culture/environment at that company, take the 18-weeks, apply to a shit ton of other jobs/interview in the meantime, if you come back and everything is cash money and you resume without fear or lay off, stay the course. otherwise, go to new place. A guy in Max's work experience/title should have a decently easy (not GUARANTEED) time lateraling to other companies of that size/revenue/stature.
max225

I’d like to stay at my current company and not get a new job until I figure out offspring.

That has been my plan for the last year otherwise I would have left already. Starting a new job is very difficult in my field. And requires 60hr weeks on the regular and likely 4+ days in office now. For 6-12 months until I learn the new gig. That plus dealing with a newborn will land me in the hospital myself. I can’t deal with that much stress.

Anyways … bmw is now at Day 28. Not a peep from the repairing dealer … and it looks like the car now got moved to some 3rd tier lot in BFE
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I would not want to be contending with a new job and a new baby at the same time. :yikes: no thanks... Would be calling a lawyer bro if shit went down in an undesirable way.
max225

Tar wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:57 pm I would not want to be contending with a new job and a new baby at the same time. :yikes: no thanks... Would be calling a lawyer bro if shit went down in an undesirable way.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dude I just took off 2+ weeks and got my balls busted over it incessantly but :ohwell: , fuck 'em. You are :notwrong:
max225

Yea I have no illusions of grandeur. I croak tomorrow nothing will happen. But I built a lot of relationships and I have a direct team of folks I happen to really like. I don't want to FUCK them. Good ol two faced me.
razr390

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:03 pm Yea I have no illusions of grandeur. I croak tomorrow nothing will happen. But I built a lot of relationships and I have a direct team of folks I happen to really like. I don't want to FUCK them. Good ol two faced me.
Well fucking your direct reports would be highly unethical and immoral
max225

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:03 pm Yea I have no illusions of grandeur. I croak tomorrow nothing will happen. But I built a lot of relationships and I have a direct team of folks I happen to really like. I don't want to FUCK them. Good ol two faced me.
Well fucking your direct reports would be highly unethical and immoral
:iswydt:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:36 pm

Anyways … bmw is now at Day 28. Not a peep from the repairing dealer … and it looks like the car now got moved to some 3rd tier lot in BFE
....So what happens monday? You bust in there (with clean AF loaner, of course) and be all like "I aint paying for this car your problem now here are the keys."

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:59 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:36 pm

....So what happens monday? You bust in there (with clean AF loaner, of course) and be all like "I aint paying for this car your problem now here are the keys."

Monday I’ll be in a hospital … no idea what will happen yet. Going to start with the service manager and the the 1800-go-weaintdoingshit #
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

1800-Get-Fuck(ed)

Definitely curious how making lemonade goes. I imagine it can't be as simple as requesting it with the :dillerman: Also, is there any counter offer you would accept? Keep the car but get six months lease payments on them or something?
max225

This is uncharted territory for me. I never had an issue with a car for this amount of time. Let alone a brand new one.
No idea what the process is like from here on out in my state and so and so forth. So we shall see. I’ll keep y’all posted
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:excited: for the V8 'fendie.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:28 pm 1800-Get-Fuck(ed)

Definitely curious how making lemonade goes. I imagine it can't be as simple as requesting it with the :dillerman: Also, is there any counter offer you would accept? Keep the car but get six months lease payments on them or something?
Hmm good question. I’d probably take 6 months of “free.99” lease. But frankly … my experience doesn’t seem uncommon based on browsing the forums… so I could have another 30+ day service fuck time.

I don’t have the patience for this… and I don’t think it’s right to have a car for “service” for this long. I don’t even know if it’ll be fixed “Monday” (day 32) or whenever they will finally call me.

Funny enough I typed up 1800 get fucked but I didn’t want Brad to think I was referring to him in my response. Such PC much wow
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:32 pm :excited: for the V8 'fendie.
It wouldnt be a quick transaction though … i expect a bit of :hibachi: probably 2-4 weeks to settle with bmw…

Then Dec or so to buy the other car… also an I6 powered Fendie is a solid 30k cheaper so I may still :scrooge: