OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:31 pm Dang, I'm in Raleigh for work and :tits: is in Long Island for work but apparently a huge tree came down in our yard in a storm this morning, completely smashed my shed.

Kind of funny as we were just talking this weekend about a new building back there that could be more of a nice 'heshed'/office for me to free up some space. Hoping that I can get a few thousand bucks of insurance out of this and make some lemonade.
That would be totally :fuckyeah: if you could swing that.

Anything of value in the shed that may have gotten destroyed?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:31 pm Dang, I'm in Raleigh for work and :tits: is in Long Island for work but apparently a huge tree came down in our yard in a storm this morning, completely smashed my shed.

Kind of funny as we were just talking this weekend about a new building back there that could be more of a nice 'heshed'/office for me to free up some space. Hoping that I can get a few thousand bucks of insurance out of this and make some lemonade.

I have a $3K mountain bike that was in there but I think it's OK based on pics/facetime with my neighbor. Other than that mostly just lawn tools and stuff. I would be :sad: if my Ryobi mower got smashed and it was in the line of fire, but I don't think they're terribly expensive.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:41 pm

I have a $3K mountain bike that was in there but I think it's OK based on pics/facetime with my neighbor. Other than that mostly just lawn tools and stuff. I would be :sad: if my Ryobi mower got smashed and it was in the line of fire, but I don't think they're terribly expensive.
Dang man, thats a mess.

Northshore in Knox had some pretty bad damage from that storm, we largely spared in the olde Blount Co.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
wap

Insurance should cover any material losses inside the shed, no?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:55 pm

Yep, I just called them, an adjuster will reach out and we'll see what we can get.

It's honestly a win (although I really hope my bike isn't damaged, I doubt they'd pay that much on it even though it's a 2021 model and a new equivalent would probably be up to $4K now). We were discussing planting new trees and installing a new building just this weekend so even if we get a few thousand, it would help.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:20 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:55 pm
Yep, I just called them, an adjuster will reach out and we'll see what we can get.

It's honestly a win (although I really hope my bike isn't damaged, I doubt they'd pay that much on it even though it's a 2021 model and a new equivalent would probably be up to $4K now). We were discussing planting new trees and installing a new building just this weekend so even if we get a few thousand, it would help.
:like:
Does the ruined shed have power? You'd need it to make a nice heshed...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hey broskis, what's new and good? I'm doing okay at the moment. Things got hectic, but I may have some breathing room to get caught up with y'all if thats cool?

I'm trying to get up to date on current affairs on DFD, and for the most part you guys are doing great! Happy for those of you that are looking forward to little buns in the ovens, congrats to you gentlemen, our first took 5 years and a little help from the baby docs... I can fill you in if anyone wants those deets. My condolences to those who faced losses this year, its been a tough run for many of us. Wish you guys be best of luck moving forward. I'll be in and out to post up on what's new on my end in due course.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:30 pm Hey broskis, what's new and good? I'm doing okay at the moment. Things got hectic, but I may have some breathing room to get caught up with y'all if thats cool?

I'm trying to get up to date on current affairs on DFD, and for the most part you guys are doing great! Happy for those of you that are looking forward to little buns in the ovens, congrats to you gentlemen, our first took 5 years and a little help from the baby docs... I can fill you in if anyone wants those deets. My condolences to those who faced losses this year, its been a tough run for many of us. Wish you guys be best of luck moving forward. I'll be in and out to post up on what's new on my end in due course.
:fuckyeah: I was able to lure you back in!

:bow:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:20 pm

It did not, we would definitely want to add it. I'm :notsure: how much an electrician will charge for such a thing.

The basic plan is to pour a concrete pad for the building and a sidewalk to it from the patio, run power for lighting, and likely get a compact AC unit - basically make the building two rooms, a small office/bike room for me and then more general storage in the other half.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:31 pm
Tar wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:30 pm Hey broskis, what's new and good? I'm doing okay at the moment. Things got hectic, but I may have some breathing room to get caught up with y'all if thats cool?

:fuckyeah: I was able to lure you back in!

:bow:
Yes sir, nice to catch up with you, thank you :wub:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

sup holmes, I've been super busy this summer, but hopefully its starting to subside. Things are good
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:09 pm

sup holmes, I've been super busy this summer, but hopefully its starting to subside. Things are good
Hey buddy, I'm glad to hear things are good with you! Are you building a house on a lot you bought? Is that still a thing? What are you driving lately? Mazda still seeing some track time?

I put car shit aside, no time or money but the wife's touareg is running great and the Camry is rock solid as expected. I love that thing more then I should... such a reliable appliance!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:22 pm

The house I just put an offer on had a boiler from 1960 in the basement.
:mindblown: :impressive:
Oil fired?

Back then they were seriously over built. The iron heat exchanger inside must be massively thick.

Also, good luck with this latest offer!
It used to be. It was converted to natural gas at some unknown point likely in the 80s. But the core of the boiler was 1960. Hah.

House is a dump and I kind of hope we don’t get it because it needs about 150k of work. We got out bid but they took a high offer with a home inspection contingency.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:05 pm

Oil fired?

Back then they were seriously over built. The iron heat exchanger inside must be massively thick.

It used to be. It was converted to natural gas at some unknown point likely in the 80s. But the core of the boiler was 1960. Hah.

House is a dump and I kind of hope we don’t get it because it needs about 150k of work. We got out bid but they took a high offer with a home inspection contingency.
This is where we're at these days.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:33 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:25 pm
It did not, we would definitely want to add it. I'm :notsure: how much an electrician will charge for such a thing.

The basic plan is to pour a concrete pad for the building and a sidewalk to it from the patio, run power for lighting, and likely get a compact AC unit - basically make the building two rooms, a small office/bike room for me and then more general storage in the other half.
:notbad:
wap

:hai:
Only thing new in WAPland is my boiler shit the bed a couple months ago and getting a new one installed on Tuesday, and Mrs and I are going back to Prague in 5 weeks. Otherwise I'm as :whocares: boring as ever.
wap

Oil fired?

Oh, well then I rescind my good luck then. :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:32 pm

Only thing new in WAPland is my boiler shit the bed a couple months ago and getting a new one installed on Tuesday, and Mrs and I are going back to Prague in 5 weeks. Otherwise I'm as :whocares: boring as ever.
Oof, boiler alert! Does the boiler provide heat to the house only, or is it used for showers, etc? I hear cold showers are good for us, but my wife would give me exactly one day to get that fixed.

I want to visit Prague, I can speak fluent Czech (Slovak really), so that would be a great time! Beautiful scenery and people :hubba:

Can't wait to do that kind of traveling again some day!
wap

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:51 pm

Oof, boiler alert! Does the boiler provide heat to the house only, or is it used for showers, etc? I hear cold showers are good for us, but my wife would give me exactly one day to get that fixed.

I want to visit Prague, I can speak fluent Czech (Slovak really), so that would be a great time! Beautiful scenery and people :hubba:

Just heat via radiators. Hot water is from a separate water heater so showers remain warm.

Where did you pick up your ability to speak Slovak? They're very close, of course, so you'd get by fine in the Czech Republic. Wifey speaks Polish and she was able to communicate fairly well in Prague the last time we were there. It's a beautiful city, much :excited: to go back.

You should go!
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

JohnnyP is a better man than I.. not sure if staying in the city is still just for his lady to remain near her family, but after searching that long and being outbid that many times, I’d have put my foot down about buying elsewhere. Respect dude. Hope something hits one day that makes all the waiting and frustration this has been for you worth it.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:22 pm JohnnyP is a better man than I.. not sure if staying in the city is still just for his lady to remain near her family, but after searching that long and being outbid that many times, I’d have put my foot down about buying elsewhere. Respect dude. Hope something hits one day that makes all the waiting and frustration this has been for you worth it.
All :dat:
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:22 pm JohnnyP is a better man than I.. not sure if staying in the city is still just for his lady to remain near her family, but after searching that long and being outbid that many times, I’d have put my foot down about buying elsewhere. Respect dude. Hope something hits one day that makes all the waiting and frustration this has been for you worth it.
We've thought about renting in the area we want, but that comes with another move. And renting with the dog and cat gets tricky. We aren't that desperate yet but if 2nd kid pops out while we're in our tiny ass rowhome shit will get ugly quick. So who knows.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:28 pm

This is where we're at these days.
Its really annoying. We don't live in cail, we live in poor ass Philadelphia.

The real problem is we value being able to walk into town. So we want somewhere that we can easily access things like a commuter train station, a coffee shop, and a restaurant or two on foot sans car. And that really limits the search to just a couple bubbles.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:37 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:30 am

:jelly:
Have you ever been there? It's :amaze:
Been there once as a layover for one night around xmas when I was heading to Turkey probably in 2017? It was nice, having mulled wine on the street at the xmas market. I would go there again for a little longer
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:51 pm

:whalecum: back
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.