Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:11 pm Unfortunately I get it. I never understood tracking one’s own car. It literally destroys it. Many many examples of that.

However I’m not defending them… that right turn issue looks like a real issue that will grenade the bearings over time. Sucks but such is life. I’m sure 99.9% of people can still greatly enjoy the car every day
:dat:

And also, I'm pretty certain there will be a fix short of needing to put a dry sump or accusump in it. It won't be free, but if you actually want to track the car, it'll be a lot less expensive than trading in the car for a GT3.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So I’m :rage: ing today…

Motherfucking stealer claimed to have changed the oil in the tsx… but I am pretty sure they didn’t…

Oil was black as dirt after 1600 miles and 2 months. (Truly it looked dark as I picked it up)

I’m sending the sample to Blackstone. If it comes back with something other than that I’m going full Karen on these fucks.

This makes it the second time out of 2 where I feel like a shop did Jack shit
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:01 pm So I’m :rage: ing today…

Motherfucking stealer claimed to have changed the oil in the tsx… but I am pretty sure they didn’t…

Oil was black as dirt after 1600 miles and 2 months. (Truly it looked dark as I picked it up)

I’m sending the sample to Blackstone. If it comes back with something other than that I’m going full Karen on these fucks.

Doesn't oil turn black after just a few hundred miles? Especially in a car with that many miles.
max225

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:48 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:01 pm So I’m :rage: ing today…

Doesn't oil turn black after just a few hundred miles? Especially in a car with that many miles.
We will find out. It was dark right after it was picked up. (5 miles) I just didn’t get to it until now. I have the complete maintenance history of this car over the last 100000 miles. Usually the oil stays clean for about 4-5k and 6 months
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:54 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:48 pm

We will find out. It was dark right after it was picked up. (5 miles) I just didn’t get to it until now. I have the complete maintenance history of this car over the last 100000 miles. Usually the oil stays clean for about 4-5k and 6 months
I'm going to vote your took it in the ars.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:54 pm

For a second time eh ?
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 pm

For a second time eh ?
The first was proved as fact by yours truly. In4Blackstone.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:47 am
max225 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 am

For a second time eh ?
The first was proved as fact by yours truly. In4Blackstone.
It arrived at the lab today :waiting:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So one of our guests offered me to drive this around the block. It has the b58, sounded good of course and she moves for a rig too

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

BMW is back.

We bought a camper this weekend
:hibachi: :hibachi: :hibachi:
:hibachi: :waiting: :hibachi:
:hibachi: :hibachi: :hibachi:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Question for the group, cause I’m genuinely unsure here:

Thinking of putting different wheels on the Blazer soon, as I’ve got a tire/wheel/sensor issue with it that I’m getting tired of chasing down. I’m looking at down sizing from the 20’s on it to 18’s, as that is the ‘standard’ size on the Blazers without this blackout package or whatever it’s called. My question is, will I need to try and find huncentric rings to put a wheel with a 67.1 bore onto a hub with a bore of 66.9, or is that difference small enough it shouldn’t matter?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:23 am Question for the group, cause I’m genuinely unsure here:

Thinking of putting different wheels on the Blazer soon, as I’ve got a tire/wheel/sensor issue with it that I’m getting tired of chasing down. I’m looking at down sizing from the 20’s on it to 18’s, as that is the ‘standard’ size on the Blazers without this blackout package or whatever it’s called. My question is, will I need to try and find huncentric rings to put a wheel with a 67.1 bore onto a hub with a bore of 66.9, or is that difference small enough it shouldn’t matter?
I’d get centering rings for it. If you buy from tire rack they will probably include it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:23 am Question for the group, cause I’m genuinely unsure here:

IMO they aren't ever actually needed, it just makes mounting them a bit easier. Probably worth the couple of bucks?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:disappoint:

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:08 am :disappoint:

fuck all this and just get an accumulator.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

There's a reason Porsche's hotboy products all have dry sumps. Boxer engines without them don't like high Gs. Plenty of blown Porsche engines from track duty, especially pre 2009.

There's probably a solution that will help for a car that is mostly stock, but I would bet that if you want to run coilovers and fatty sticky tires, nothing short of an accusump or dry sump setup is going to fix this.

Why I didn't consider all of this before I bought the car, I don't know, but so many people were turning laps in them seemingly without issue I never even considered it. I chose the '86 specifically to be able to do HPDEs and use it as a tool to become a better driver, while still having something reasonably fun on the street that could also fit my little dude in the back. If I'm never going to auto X or track the thing, there are a LOT of other cars I would rather have. And, barring a reasonably priced solution being found, I never will.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:44 pm There's a reason Porsche's hotboy products all have dry sumps. Boxer engines without them don't like high Gs. Plenty of blown Porsche engines from track duty, especially pre 2009.

There's probably a solution that will help for a car that is mostly stock, but I would bet that if you want to run coilovers and fatty sticky tires, nothing short of an accusump or dry sump setup is going to fix this.

Why I didn't consider all of this before I bought the car, I don't know, but so many people were turning laps in them seemingly without issue I never even considered it. I chose the '86 specifically to be able to do HPDEs and use it as a tool to become a better driver, while still having something reasonably fun on the street that could also fit my little dude in the back. If I'm never going to auto X or track the thing, there are a LOT of other cars I would rather have. And, barring a reasonably priced solution being found, I never will.
I'm certainly having some feelings as well :lolol:

I know Max mentioned that 'tracking your own car is crazy' and it's still certainly a fun street car BUT I feel like the whole point of this chassis is an affordable, practical-ish enough daily that can double for weekend warrior duty. The fact is HPDE is fun and a great way to learn and your choices are an old car (C5, E36, etc) that is pretty much a dedicated track/weekend car, which is very expensive, takes up space, etc., a super performance car (tracking something like that is only for seriously rich people), or something like this car.

:disappoint: I am unsure of my HPDE future with this thing. I'm still sort of in the 'send it' mode but :iono:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:11 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:44 pm There's a reason Porsche's hotboy products all have dry sumps. Boxer engines without them don't like high Gs. Plenty of blown Porsche engines from track duty, especially pre 2009.

I know Max mentioned that 'tracking your own car is crazy' and it's still certainly a fun street car BUT I feel like the whole point of this chassis is an affordable, practical-ish enough daily that can double for weekend warrior duty. The fact is HPDE is fun and a great way to learn and your choices are an old car (C5, E36, etc) that is pretty much a dedicated track/weekend car, which is very expensive, takes up space, etc., a super performance car (tracking something like that is only for seriously rich people), or something like this car.

:disappoint: I am unsure of my HPDE future with this thing. I'm still sort of in the 'send it' mode but :iono:
Call up a couple local dealers to see if they would warranty any issue like this.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:28 pm

Call up a couple local dealers to see if they would warranty any issue like this.
I am kind of curious how a warranty would be denied. Say you get that thing towed off the track and that's your only expense. How the F would they know you tracked it?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:37 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:28 pm

I am kind of curious how a warranty would be denied. Say you get that thing towed off the track and that's your only expense. How the F would they know you tracked it?
I'm sure there's location data, G force data, engine RPM data, wheel speed data, and visual inspection of tires etc that's accessible in these new cars.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:11 pm I'm certainly having some feelings as well :lolol:

:lolol: "some feelings"

I'm having really only one. I flip the car the bird every time I walk into the garage.

On the purpose of the car, I am 100% with you. As a car that will never see time on track, it makes way less sense to me than something like buying a used 135i or, for me, something with 4 doors. I'd rather have a super clean ZHP, another STi, any number of things. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well if I take Toyota up on the NASA weekend surely they will know… I’m not at giving the car the finger status though, I still think it’s pretty unlikely anything would happen at my driving level on stock tarz.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Brz is something very attainable for me without an issue after the move, i wanted to track here and there, also go on some mountain drives as well for therapy. But after this issue made me overthink like :crang: style. I'm pretty sure what that video have probably defective? :iono:

Also having to wait as far as getting new. My accord is close to hitting 50k (I know), I had to go to NYC for a last minute due to some family emergency last weekend. Only one month left still I can finally have a commute less than 15 miles roundtrip, since well.... 2016 :lol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

coogles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:11 pm I'm certainly having some feelings as well :lolol:

I'm having really only one. I flip the car the bird every time I walk into the garage.

On the purpose of the car, I am 100% with you. As a car that will never see time on track, it makes way less sense to me than something like buying a used 135i or, for me, something with 4 doors. I'd rather have a super clean ZHP, another STi, any number of things. :ohwell:
You're concerned about this potential issue that has been a problem in a couple of cars? But then you throw out a 17 year old BMW or an STi of all things? :iswydt:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:48 am
coogles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 pm

You're concerned about this potential issue that has been a problem in a couple of cars? But then you throw out a 17 year old BMW or an STi of all things? :iswydt:
ZHPs are very durable and, although needy in terms of maintenance, most things are DIYable. Also a clean ZHP would have been $15k instead of $35k, leaving plenty of room for maintenance. A STi would be a far better car for the street considering I have 3 kids under 5, and not likely to be something I would track. Also, I live close enough to Turn In Concepts, who has a LOT of experience making STis reliable for street and track use. The problem areas are well known and the solutions are already there. Nobody knows what it will take to unfuck the oiling system in the FA24 yet.