OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I don’t mind Grass i think it’s very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. And it keeps the dust down etc.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

A grass lawn is great for the kids and dogs, it's nice to look at, it keeps things cooler in the summer. I like it. But I will fully acknowledge how big of a resource suck it is.

But...I use natural fertilizers and try to keep my watering to a minimum. I would feel less bad about watering if it wasn't treated drinking water - something that wasn't treated should work just fine for that purpose - but I don't have that option. At least in the north we don't have to water every stinking day from a shrinking reservoir like the morons living in the desert who think it's feasible to keep a green lawn with real grass. It's way less of a resource suck in cooler climates.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Yeah I love having grass. Looks nice like Max said. Looking forward to getting the rest of our yard landscaped and more grass added. But it grows easily here with all the rain. We have some summer rain today which is always nice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:07 pm Yeah I love having grass. Looks nice like Max said. Looking forward to getting the rest of our yard landscaped and more grass added. But it grows easily here with all the rain. We have some summer rain today which is always nice.
I don’t have a problem with it in places where it can grow fairly naturally, it certainly is nice. But in my climate it requires pretty constant care and feeding which is :butwhy: and it’s even way way worse in places like Phoenix? Las Vegas, or Los Angeles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:07 pm Yeah I love having grass. Looks nice like Max said. Looking forward to getting the rest of our yard landscaped and more grass added. But it grows easily here with all the rain. We have some summer rain today which is always nice.
I don’t have a problem with it in places where it can grow fairly naturally, it certainly is nice. But in my climate it requires pretty constant care and feeding which is :butwhy: and it’s even way way worse in places like Phoenix? Las Vegas, or Los Angeles.
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:41 pm A grass lawn is great for the kids and dogs, it's nice to look at, it keeps things cooler in the summer. I like it. But I will fully acknowledge how big of a resource suck it is.

But...I use natural fertilizers and try to keep my watering to a minimum. I would feel less bad about watering if it wasn't treated drinking water - something that wasn't treated should work just fine for that purpose - but I don't have that option. At least in the north we don't have to water every stinking day from a shrinking reservoir like the morons living in the desert who think it's feasible to keep a green lawn with real grass. It's way less of a resource suck in cooler climates.
:notwrong: :ayfkm: :hai:

Our front lawn is too much grass but its still pretty small. The back I will keep some grass for dags. Artificial gets too hot. Solar in September, reduced grass when I can find a decent bid. The problem is that cheap desert scape looks like the front of pawn shop in Bullhead City. High end shit is esspensive.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:54 am
coogles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:41 pm A grass lawn is great for the kids and dogs, it's nice to look at, it keeps things cooler in the summer. I like it. But I will fully acknowledge how big of a resource suck it is.

Our front lawn is too much grass but its still pretty small. The back I will keep some grass for dags. Artificial gets too hot. Solar in September, reduced grass when I can find a decent bid. The problem is that cheap desert scape looks like the front of pawn shop in Bullhead City. High end shit is esspensive.
lol sorry, but after seeing how tightly some ppl in Vegas and Phoenix and such are clinging to grass laws...it's pretty :amaze:. If you choose live in the desert, having a lush green lawn all the time makes no sense. :)
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:54 am

lol sorry, but after seeing how tightly some ppl in Vegas and Phoenix and such are clinging to grass laws...it's pretty :amaze:. If you choose live in the desert, having a lush green lawn all the time makes no sense. :)
Yep yep, no disagreement.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:45 am

Poor choice of wording in that first post, though. :yikes:

Sorry breh!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Go one step further. Living in the desert period is a weird way to live. Same goes for having to use HVAC. But yet here we are
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:17 pm Anybody have any outdoor rated smart plugs that they use for things like lights? Trying to find one, but everything I’m seeing has a mini extension cord that plugs into your existing outlet.. would like to find one that is just a block I can plug into so it’s not hanging out if the cover for my outlets..

Example of what I’m finding:
GE Lighting CYNC Outdoor Smart Plug, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Outlet Socket, Weather Resistant Plug, Voice Control Outlet, Works with Alexa and Google Home https://a.co/d/10fDuNO

There’s an indoor GE CYNC smart plug that looks like exactly what I’m looking for, but don’t want to run the risk of weather fucking shit up.. maybe there’s a reason they all have mini cords. Our outlet is on our covered deck, and has a box that closes over it, so it might be okay to use the indoor one :iono:
I have smart string lights that I got at Lowes that I plug in using a short extension cord keeping the control box somewhat under the cover of my canopy. It still gets wet, with no issues. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Litex-48-Ft-24 ... 5001382149

I also have one of the ones you are talking about (with the mini extension cord) to power my pool. It plugs into a box like yours but dangles so that the openings are facing down. It has three outlets that each have on/off buttons. I have never had it short out in rain. Well check that, maybe once or twice the GFI has been tripped. No big deal. I Pressed the button and moved on with my life.
SAWCE

Irish wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:54 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:17 pm Anybody have any outdoor rated smart plugs that they use for things like lights? Trying to find one, but everything I’m seeing has a mini extension cord that plugs into your existing outlet.. would like to find one that is just a block I can plug into so it’s not hanging out if the cover for my outlets..

GE Lighting CYNC Outdoor Smart Plug, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Outlet Socket, Weather Resistant Plug, Voice Control Outlet, Works with Alexa and Google Home https://a.co/d/10fDuNO

There’s an indoor GE CYNC smart plug that looks like exactly what I’m looking for, but don’t want to run the risk of weather fucking shit up.. maybe there’s a reason they all have mini cords. Our outlet is on our covered deck, and has a box that closes over it, so it might be okay to use the indoor one :iono:
I have smart string lights that I got at Lowes that I plug in using a short extension cord keeping the control box somewhat under the cover of my canopy. It still gets wet, with no issues. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Litex-48-Ft-24 ... 5001382149

I also have one of the ones you are talking about (with the mini extension cord) to power my pool. It plugs into a box like yours but dangles so that the openings are facing down. It has three outlets that each have on/off buttons. I have never had it short out in rain. Well check that, maybe once or twice the GFI has been tripped. No big deal. I Pressed the button and moved on with my life.
Dang.. didn’t know they made smart string lights. String lights are what I’m trying to power. Right now we have them running to a 6’ or 8’ extension cord and then plug that in when we want to turn them on, but it’d be nice to be able to leave that plugged in and just power them up with the phone. Looking like one of the dangling guys is my best option. Wifey won’t like how it looks, but oh well.
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:18 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:45 am

Poor choice of wording in that first post, though. :yikes:

Sorry breh!
We're good. Giant lawns in the desert are indeed for morons.
golftdibrad1
Drives: on used bald tires

I use KASA stuff off amazon, i dont have an outdoor one but they make it. I use all their stuff inside and its great.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:44 am

I use KASA stuff off amazon, i dont have an outdoor one but they make it. I use all their stuff inside and its great.
Thanks! I’ll look them up.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Sitting on this plane and the food smells so good, but my golf pants barely fit so I had to forfeit this meal. :( :fatty:

Also my flight was delayed over an hour, but when I tried to change my rental car reservation to an hour later it says there's no cars available. :thisisfine:
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:54 pm Sitting on this plane and the food smells so good, but my golf pants barely fit so I had to forfeit this meal. :( :fatty:

Also my flight was delayed over an hour, but when I tried to change my rental car reservation to an hour later it says there's no cars available. :thisisfine:
We just landed in Jacksonville FL and that happened to several people in front of us in the rental car pick up line. Luckily ours was good still.
Where ya headed?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

We drove to Pittsburgh so we didn't have that problem. :D
Surprisingly :notbad: town, BTW.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:47 pm We drove to Pittsburgh so we didn't have that problem. :D
Surprisingly :notbad: town, BTW.
Yeah Pittsburgh is pretty cool, it was a surprise to me as well when I first went as an adult.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:54 pm Sitting on this plane and the food smells so good, but my golf pants barely fit so I had to forfeit this meal. :( :fatty:

This has happened to me quite a few times, generally you can just go pick up even if the reservation was left as-is. Where are you headed?

I'm at the Orlando airport now, have a :disgust: 5:15 AM flight home from an industry trade show. Can't wait to be home.
SAWCE

Le sigh. Brought my rice cooker so I could stay somewhat on track with meals this trip.. went to plug it in at the hotel and realized I forgot to pull the pot for it out of the dishwasher from the night before when I was packing it up. Gonna have to hit a chipotle or a teriyaki place and just order rice.

Next hotel is the resort the wedding we’re here for, so that should at least have a microwave in the room so I can grab some of the one minute rice bowls or something.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:34 pm

We just landed in Jacksonville FL and that happened to several people in front of us in the rental car pick up line. Luckily ours was good still.
Where ya headed?
Flew into Minneapolis then drove to Two Harbors, Minnesota for a friend's wedding this weekend. Luckily the National Executive section is huge at MSP T1 so there were actually plenty of cars and good choices.

I didn't get to my room until 1am though and now I'm up to go play a round of golf.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:18 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:34 pm

Where ya headed?
Flew into Minneapolis then drove to Two Harbors, Minnesota for a friend's wedding this weekend. Luckily the National Executive section is huge at MSP T1 so there were actually plenty of cars and good choices.

I didn't get to my room until 1am though and now I'm up to go play a round of golf.
:nice: what did you get?

I was chatting with my ex boss last night and he recently got a Guilia from National, pretty :neat:
golftdibrad1
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:04 am
:lolol: