OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:55 pm Good news, I made it back home alive. Turns out that my friends are really friends. I don't know how I managed it but I somehow have some real friends now and it's pretty nice. Also I don't look that bad in a swimsuit but that's a story for another day.
:fuckyeah:
Now you have real friends on top of your virtual DFD bros. :)
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:14 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:13 pm Haven’t really had time to been on here much lately :sad: seems like it’s been slow :pouroneout:

What are y’all bastahds up to?

Any good weekend plans? I really don’t want to work tomorrow.

Got a wedding at a brewery Saturday. I may :drunk: , particularly as it’s pretty much walking distance to the house.
Sup buddy.

That trip of yours looked pretty epic, I'm certainly feeling like I could use a vacation right about now.

Work has been pretty shit. Feb 2nd the layoffs hit my part of Salesforce, and a bunch of people from the acquisitions who were expected to join our core group were laid off. There was another round of layoffs just yesterday, mostly hitting marketing and sales(again). The annual review cycle was pushed from Nov/Dec to now, but with the margin pressures we're under we've been told there will be zero promotions this cycle, regardless of performance or merit. The annual bonus is being paid out at 70%, so feeling short-changed on that front too. We've had to pick up a lot of slack from from the teams let go, but we're getting paid less, and there may not even be a COL increase this year from what I'm being told (what inflation?). Add to that the fact that I was mistakenly given salary and perf data for the entire org I'm in, turns out I'm in about the 20th percentile for my job type and grade, and I'm making $30k less in base and nearly $10k less in bonus than my predecessor despite our business having literally doubled in size since I've been in this role, and I've found a lot of efficiencies that she wasn't ever able to produce. I'm feeling particularly shit about my job right now, but morale around here is in the toilet across the board. Feels like it's time to update the resume.

The fam is good, though. The twins are turning 3 in a couple days, my little dude is coming up on 5 and seriously the best kid ever. The girls are hitting the emotional threenager status but they're sweet and fun when they're not losing their shit. Trying to raise civilized human beings can be stressful.

All in all I shouldn't complain, but life is a lot right now.
Man… that is a rough situation at work. I’m lucky that my immediate team wasn’t impacted by layoffs so there’s no real overarching doom and gloom. I’m in a similar boat pay-wise though, haven’t yet topped 2019’s earnings despite being promoted twice since then.

Hopefully you can take some time off in the near term and enjoy a week away. Any prospects outside of SF?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:55 pm Good news, I made it back home alive. Turns out that my friends are really friends. I don't know how I managed it but I somehow have some real friends now and it's pretty nice. Also I don't look that bad in a swimsuit but that's a story for another day.
:notbad: glad it was better than expected! Hopefully the more of these successful events that happen, the less the anxiety returns each time.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 am Man… that is a rough situation at work. I’m lucky that my immediate team wasn’t impacted by layoffs so there’s no real overarching doom and gloom. I’m in a similar boat pay-wise though, haven’t yet topped 2019’s earnings despite being promoted twice since then.

Hopefully you can take some time off in the near term and enjoy a week away. Any prospects outside of SF?
I'm obviously thankful to still have a job, but it's tough knowing how many people out there are now out of work while at the same time having to pick up their responsibilities. I finished updating the resume and applied to one external opening this morning. When I get some more time I'll do some more searching, but I'm going to look for a good fit more than jumping ship just to jump. I have a lot of experience and good relationships here, I'm not looking to burn bridges, but now feels like a good time to stretch and test myself in a new role while getting a fresh start at the same time.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SVB shit :yikes:

Parental leave was added this year to our company policy and it is 4 weeks off paid, will take advantage of that. :fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:27 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:52 am Man… that is a rough situation at work. I’m lucky that my immediate team wasn’t impacted by layoffs so there’s no real overarching doom and gloom. I’m in a similar boat pay-wise though, haven’t yet topped 2019’s earnings despite being promoted twice since then.

I'm obviously thankful to still have a job, but it's tough knowing how many people out there are now out of work while at the same time having to pick up their responsibilities. I finished updating the resume and applied to one external opening this morning. When I get some more time I'll do some more searching, but I'm going to look for a good fit more than jumping ship just to jump. I have a lot of experience and good relationships here, I'm not looking to burn bridges, but now feels like a good time to stretch and test myself in a new role while getting a fresh start at the same time.
Damn that work situation blows. Sorry. I’d look to jump ship too. It sucks to work at a place where you’re constantly hearing “be glad you have a job.”

I’d say ask for a raise but that might actually be a reason they don’t lay you off so IDK.
Johnny_P

Most excellent
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Just got home from playing another show outside in beautiful weather as usual, had a pretty good crowd too. So many things in FL are messed up but I don't know where else I'd ever want to be at this point. Spain maybe?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:01 pm Damn that work situation blows. Sorry. I’d look to jump ship too. It sucks to work at a place where you’re constantly hearing “be glad you have a job.”

I’d say ask for a raise but that might actually be a reason they don’t lay you off so IDK.
Thanks man. I actually brought up to my manager that I know about the salary discrepancy, but also it would have been pretty easy to assume given she has a title one grade level ahead of mine. That was when I got the response of "be glad we have jobs" and she also threw in a "I never want to hear you bring that up again." :rolleyes: It's a pretty clear statement of who the company values when the person who's actually performing better in the role is being paid substantially less. Whatever. I'll do my shit until I find a new landing spot, but this isn't a role that's easy to transition and the other person that was brought onto the team has zero previous Salesforce experience, which would make it impossible for her to do what I do. We implemented a new organizational software for fiscal year planning this year, that she implemented in her last company, but I can (and have) learned a new software, it would take quite a bit longer for her to learn our business. And she definitely wouldn't be able to do it within the window of a two week notice.
razr390

To be honest in this economy it’s good to line something up before you bring up discussions like that and I’m not about to deep throat a be happy you have a job mentality but the outlook is that 2023 will be kinda shitty.

Coogs I feel your pain but if you see your company is doing layoffs especially close to your role/department/etc I think it’s almost employment suicide to bring up that discussion at that point in time because you just potentially put yourself on a chopping block of being part of the next wave if/when that comes.

It’s not something I’m saying out of joy I actually feels a lot of what you’re going through because I found myself in almost similar situations.

But, I encourage you to just do the minimum required by your JD, apply to a bunch of places and see what lines up. That’s what I’ve been doing sort of just :aintcare: autopiloting nothing more nothing less and it seems to light a fire under their ass.

Corporate culture is so dumb. If you do too little you’re not worth promoting and if you do too much you’re too valuable to promote. Fuck that
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

This is awesome. Congrats, and having just pieced together what's going on, I'm super happy for you!
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:37 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:01 pm Damn that work situation blows. Sorry. I’d look to jump ship too. It sucks to work at a place where you’re constantly hearing “be glad you have a job.”

Thanks man. I actually brought up to my manager that I know about the salary discrepancy, but also it would have been pretty easy to assume given she has a title one grade level ahead of mine. That was when I got the response of "be glad we have jobs" and she also threw in a "I never want to hear you bring that up again." :rolleyes: It's a pretty clear statement of who the company values when the person who's actually performing better in the role is being paid substantially less. Whatever. I'll do my shit until I find a new landing spot, but this isn't a role that's easy to transition and the other person that was brought onto the team has zero previous Salesforce experience, which would make it impossible for her to do what I do. We implemented a new organizational software for fiscal year planning this year, that she implemented in her last company, but I can (and have) learned a new software, it would take quite a bit longer for her to learn our business. And she definitely wouldn't be able to do it within the window of a two week notice.
Whether or not they can back fill your position with someone of your caliber is their problem not yours. If they care they would adjust compensation to entice you not to leave.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:57 pm
coogles wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:37 am

Whether or not they can back fill your position with someone of your caliber is their problem not yours. If they care they would adjust compensation to entice you not to leave.
Too bad they’d only care once he announces his departure. Because that’s probably when his boss tells their boss they’re losing someone.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:57 pm

Too bad they’d only care once he announces his departure. Because that’s probably when his boss tells their boss they’re losing someone.
Too bad. I mean it’s tough you can’t exactly ask for more if the company is downsizing and laying off. But again it’s on them to figure it out, he did bring it up.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:24 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:24 pm

Too bad. I mean it’s tough you can’t exactly ask for more if the company is downsizing and laying off. But again it’s on them to figure it out, he did bring it up.
sounds like his manager doesn’t give a fuck. Maybe he needs to go a step above.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:05 pm SVB shit :yikes:

Parental leave was added this year to our company policy and it is 4 weeks off paid, will take advantage of that. :fuckyeah:
Dude that is :fuckyeah: :doit:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Happy for you my guy!! :fuckyeah:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:27 am

Good call on not jumping ship to jump ship. Your manager saying 'never bring that up again' is pretty damn :disgust: but at the same time, sometimes the evil you know is the best way forward. If a great opportunity comes up, helicopter out of that bitch with glory and go on to greener pastures. That said, if it's a lateral move, think long and hard. When times get better, they will remember you staid the course despite the pay discrepancy and if management is at all dece, they will make up for it then to let you know you're valuable to the business.

:iono: I quit my previous company in a kind of knee jerk reaction to us getting acquired by another company. It did all work out in the end, but I think it was reactionary and unnecessary and I now likely lost the opportunity forever to work at what I consider to be the coolest company in my industry.

All that said, glad to hear you polished up the resume and are looking around, if something is truly better, time to go. Ultimately, both the employee and company should 'feel lucky' to be in the relationship, if it's only a one way street, than fuck that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:04 am
Happy for you my gal!! :fuckyeah:
Fixed :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

How was everyone's weekend?

Pretty chill here, was pretty beat from the week on the road last week. Just hung out at the house Friday night with the wife. Saturday went on a mountain bike/gravel ride locally. They extended a greenway south of my house that connects to a really fun MTB park, so I can now go from my door to the park pretty much 100% on greenways and neighborhood streets which is pretty :fuckyeah: There's some other single track on the way down as well so the thing can be extended as needed. Only thing is that it's a bit far overall on a slow full squish, I wound up doing 43 miles on that.

Saturday night we went to Allison's friend's wedding, it was cool because it was just a reception and at a brewery a mile from our house. It was pretty fun, knew a few people there at least. We both got a bit :drunk: kind of a one weekend hurrah for her between the IVF retrieval and then the transfer next month (when they put an embryo back in her).

Chilled yesterday, grocery shopping, gym, my family came over for dinner.

Not really ready to get work going right now, I think I'm going to take off Thursday for my birthday and fuck off on a bicycle during the workday.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:33 am How was everyone's weekend?

Pretty chill here, was pretty beat from the week on the road last week. Just hung out at the house Friday night with the wife. Saturday went on a mountain bike/gravel ride locally. They extended a greenway south of my house that connects to a really fun MTB park, so I can now go from my door to the park pretty much 100% on greenways and neighborhood streets which is pretty :fuckyeah: There's some other single track on the way down as well so the thing can be extended as needed. Only thing is that it's a bit far overall on a slow full squish, I wound up doing 43 miles on that.

Saturday night we went to Allison's friend's wedding, it was cool because it was just a reception and at a brewery a mile from our house. It was pretty fun, knew a few people there at least. We both got a bit :drunk: kind of a one weekend hurrah for her between the IVF retrieval and then the transfer next month (when they put an embryo back in her).

Not really ready to get work going right now, I think I'm going to take off Thursday for my birthday and fuck off on a bicycle during the workday.
:hai:
Pretty low key weekend for us. Buttoned up some small :haus: projects on Saturday, went to dinner with :tits: on Saturday night to a :neat: Chinese/Japanese fusion place that we hadn't been to since before the 'vid and I had been jonesing to go back to. Had a surprisingly :notbad: vodka and saki martini with cucumber. :tits: had :amaze: scallops over thick Chinese noodles. Did laundry yesterday and got in a 4.75 mile walk during a light snowfall. It was quite :nice: . Then we watched The Gay Superbowl, aka the Oscars, which were pretty much :whocares: as I only saw 2 of the nominated movies and didn't love either of them.

:csb: , etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:07 am

Pretty low key weekend for us. Buttoned up some small :haus: projects on Saturday, went to dinner with :tits: on Saturday night to a :neat: Chinese/Japanese fusion place that we hadn't been to since before the 'vid and I had been jonesing to go back to. Had a surprisingly :notbad: vodka and saki martini with cucumber. :tits: had :amaze: scallops over thick Chinese noodles. Did laundry yesterday and got in a 4.75 mile walk during a light snowfall. It was quite :nice: . Then we watched The Gay Superbowl, aka the Oscars, which were pretty much :whocares: as I only saw 2 of the nominated movies and didn't love either of them.

:notbad: Chinese/Japanese fusion sounds :drool:
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:11 am
wap wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:07 am

:notbad: Chinese/Japanese fusion sounds :drool:
It's really a pretty nice place. I had a Bento box, with fried rice, Mongolian beef, shrimp tempura sushi rolls, an egg roll, and a bowl of miso soup, plus the aforementioned martini.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

On Friday :tits: roomie is away and we played mario cart from her nintendo switch, on Saturday, we went to a newly opened brewery on 14th st in the city with one of my friends and hers. It was a chill :drunk: day at noon. Then we went to another beer garden had some large pretzels and a boot to drink. Driveless, walking around the city kinda weekend
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:08 pm

On Friday :tits: roomie is away and we played mario cart from her nintendo switch, on Saturday, we went to a newly opened brewery on 14th st in the city with one of my friends and hers. It was a chill :drunk: day at noon. Then we went to another beer garden had some large pretzels and a boot to drink. Driveless, walking around the city kinda weekend
:notbad: , especially the bolded.