Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:37 pm I really like the Mach E too. Looks great on the road.

I believe the button to close the tailgate on the Jeep is inside the cargo area to the left, so shawties like BAEZN can always reach the button.

I appreciate the write up
Me too
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:27 am
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:25 pm

GR Corolla 3/7
Honestly... I WANTED TO LOVE This thing. And got the :wtf: are you doing stares from the woman when I was getting into it... but frankly... this ain't it. The car here was the "core" for 36k and it felt like 20k bargain basement uber. The back seats are NOT usable, the front seats do NOT fit people 6'+... i had it all the way down and I had to ganster lean.... you essentially feel like you're sitting "on" the car instead of "in" the car. Hard to describe and a real shame. It tries to be a practical sports car but frankly this ain't it... it's not practical enough for the practical part therefore the ding... The engine compartment and exterior styling are all excellent... Plenty of room to work on the car and the red brakes/tires/fender flares are epic. When you tack on an average of 10-20k dealer mark up and SHIT ass colors (this one was white) this becomes a 2.5/7 or lower IMO. Better interior/seats (maybe the other trims have it) + better color and no markup ... this would be closer to a 4/7.

that's disappointing. I am half ass considering one of these as my cool dad car in the next handful of years
I think it works as a collector car … but I think it completely fails the “affordable, practical, hot hatch” ethos. Now note, I didn’t drive one … but I’m sure it drives to expectation.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:26 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:27 am

that's disappointing. I am half ass considering one of these as my cool dad car in the next handful of years
I think it works as a collector car … but I think it completely fails the “affordable, practical, hot hatch” ethos. Now note, I didn’t drive one … but I’m sure it drives to expectation.
I'm not so sure it does. Ultimately it's a Corolla Hatchback. Doesn't have the GTI/Rabbit pedigree, and the only reason it exists is the GR Yaris would fail even harder over here as a 2 door mini-hatch. The Focus RS isn't as special as it could be over here either.

I ended up passing on my allocation for one. I might revisit next year, but the fact I can't put a tow bar on the back for a bike rack kills the car for me as a fun daily.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:46 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:26 am

I'm not so sure it does. Ultimately it's a Corolla Hatchback. Doesn't have the GTI/Rabbit pedigree, and the only reason it exists is the GR Yaris would fail even harder over here as a 2 door mini-hatch. The Focus RS isn't as special as it could be over here either.

I ended up passing on my allocation for one. I might revisit next year, but the fact I can't put a tow bar on the back for a bike rack kills the car for me as a fun daily.
I don’t even think it has the space to put the bike in the cabin either. Too bad …
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:32 pm

Yes and it’s an awful vehicle
Nissan Versa that’s been through war. The radio is all Japanese. It yells at me in Japanese. Lol. It’s such a piece of shit.

The roads blow too.
Yea … I have taken a cab there before and it was terrifying. But water and beaches are pretty !
Yeah the beach was awesome today and it was just a small local one!
max225

here is your market update... the USED CAR PRICES ARE GOING UP now after 20 weeks of declines. :fullretard: beyond anything I have seen other than Crypto bros. Jan/FEB so far have been really strong for :dillerman: The hypothesis is that those waiting on the side lines are finally making their moves.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:27 pm here is your market update... the USED CAR PRICES ARE GOING UP now after 20 weeks of declines. :fullretard: beyond anything I have seen other than Crypto bros. Jan/FEB so far have been really strong for :dillerman: The hypothesis is that those waiting on the side lines are finally making their moves.

:bow:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:27 pm here is your market update... the USED CAR PRICES ARE GOING UP now after 20 weeks of declines. :fullretard: beyond anything I have seen other than Crypto bros. Jan/FEB so far have been really strong for :dillerman: The hypothesis is that those waiting on the side lines are finally making their moves.

MSRP for a basic bitch Toyota is +$4k from this time last year. Good times.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Traverse is blown apart and they've started the repairs, no surprise found in the process. Parts are, mostly, in per the body shop. However, this could still end up being a 3+ month repair (they don't expect it to go that long) if they run into any delays in any of the missing items they'll need. At this point, I wish they'd just have totaled the damn thing so we could get it's replacement instead, but I'm at least happy knowing there wasn't anything hidden behind what was visibly damaged.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My buddy took in this one owner ES300 today. Would be a perfect car for a middle aged woman who doesn't care.

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:25 pm My buddy took in this one owner ES300 today. Would be a perfect car for a middle aged woman who doesn't care.

:dang: did the prior owner die or something ? My in-laws have a slightly newer one but man those things don’t exist in that shape anymore
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:25 pm My buddy took in this one owner ES300 today. Would be a perfect car for a middle aged woman who doesn't care.

:jimp: so that thing is for sale?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:51 am

:jimp: so that thing is for sale?
It might be. Typically they would just wholesale an old car like this but apparently this one is NICE and they might try listing it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:12 pm

:dang: did the prior owner die or something ? My in-laws have a slightly newer one but man those things don’t exist in that shape anymore
They had some A3s that were leasing well so I think this was traded in on one.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:09 am
max225 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:12 pm
What are the deets, mileage/year? It looks pretty great for it's age. :woodplow:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:24 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:09 am

What are the deets, mileage/year? It looks pretty great for it's age. :woodplow:
2000 or 2001 with 100k miles
Desertbreh

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:39 am
Tar wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:24 am

This looks fine but that fecking black paint needs a d/a polisher BAD.......it looks like the Stallion. Update is we went to look at the Encore yesterday....It looked pretty showroomy. Not a ding, paint was 98/100, interior was similar. BUT.....there was a noise coming from the front right suspension......car had no codes but there was a light on which denoted an electric parking brake fault. So dealer is addressing those two items on Monday, and holding car. Stallion was assessed for trade in. She started disclosing unseen faults until I kicked her.

We then went inside and sat down with :dillerman: who was really a nice kid......and we'll hear on Monday after car looked at. She finished by establishing huge leverae on the deal by stating I WANT THE CAR!!!! I kicked her again. All in all a decent replacement for the Stallion
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

That ES is a good sled.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:38 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:39 am

This looks fine but that fecking black paint needs a d/a polisher BAD.......it looks like the Stallion. Update is we went to look at the Encore yesterday....It looked pretty showroomy. Not a ding, paint was 98/100, interior was similar. BUT.....there was a noise coming from the front right suspension......car had no codes but there was a light on which denoted an electric parking brake fault. So dealer is addressing those two items on Monday, and holding car. Stallion was assessed for trade in. She started disclosing unseen faults until I kicked her.

We then went inside and sat down with :dillerman: who was really a nice kid......and we'll hear on Monday after car looked at. She finished by establishing huge leverae on the deal by stating I WANT THE CAR!!!! I kicked her again. All in all a decent replacement for the Stallion
Double :facepalm:
She doesn't know how lucky she is that you're helping her with this.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:51 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:38 am

:dat:
She would have been driving a salvage Altima with zero maintenance records and a ticking time bomb of a power train without this man. This is truly an act of mercy and show of kindness from Dirk! :like:
Desertbreh

Tar wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:10 am
wap wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:51 am

:dat:
She would have been driving a salvage Altima with zero maintenance records and a ticking time bomb of a power train without this man. This is truly an act of mercy and show of kindness from Dirk! :like:
She's part of our family at this point really. I don't give to charity, and I don't go to church/give to a church. I help individuals whom I deem worthy, I get more bang for my buck that way. Is this woman worthy? Probably yeah. On our way back I asked her if maybe we could do some tetris in her garage and make a space for this thing..........chances are whatever is in the garage is NOT worth 11K. She says I can't do that because I took in my nephew during the COVID because he was homeless.......out on the streets after the usual run in with powdery substances. And he's living in the fecking garage. What do you say to that? I'll probably throw some money at the purchase price as well.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Ugh. Wife's coworker just got t-boned and it totaled her car. Second time she's gotten hit in 2 years and totaled her car. Last year when this happened, I was ready to help give her some suggestions and she bought a Jeep Compass from some crappy used car dealership. Probably upside down on the loan now too. She's not in a great financial position. Her husband developed severe schizophrenia in the last few years and isn't able to work. And she got cancer during all of that.

I'm probably going to have a similar black stallion thread to find her something new.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:25 am Ugh. Wife's coworker just got t-boned and it totaled her car. Second time she's gotten hit in 2 years and totaled her car. Last year when this happened, I was ready to help give her some suggestions and she bought a Jeep Compass from some crappy used car dealership. Probably upside down on the loan now too. She's not in a great financial position. Her husband developed severe schizophrenia in the last few years and isn't able to work. And she got cancer during all of that.

I'm probably going to have a similar black stallion thread to find her something new.
Fuuuck. :(
She's been dealt quite a shitty hand.
:nice: of you to help her out. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:25 am Ugh. Wife's coworker just got t-boned and it totaled her car. Second time she's gotten hit in 2 years and totaled her car. Last year when this happened, I was ready to help give her some suggestions and she bought a Jeep Compass from some crappy used car dealership. Probably upside down on the loan now too. She's not in a great financial position. Her husband developed severe schizophrenia in the last few years and isn't able to work. And she got cancer during all of that.

How's a Lexus ES300 sound :lolol:
Desertbreh

Sounds like she should be getting some insurance money out of at at least one of these?