Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:05 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:58 am
Where's dat BRZZ
:hibachi:

Stay tuned for the next 72 hours :doe:
:fuckyeah: ! Good luck, that sounds like a fun/exciting time for you!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:05 am

:hibachi:

Stay tuned for the next 72 hours :doe:
:whalecum: back, I was just thinking yesterday that you hadn't been around in a bit.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:53 pm

:whalecum: back, I was just thinking yesterday that you hadn't been around in a bit.
Hey man, thanks. I lurked but wanted to clear mind and bring back the version of myself that I enjoy sharing with the world.. All better :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:56 pm

Hey man, thanks. I lurked but wanted to clear mind and bring back the version of myself that I enjoy sharing with the world.. All better :lolol:
:amazing:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Are you stoked about the car coming soon? Any ragrets or just :excited: to finally have it?
I was washing my car yesterday, and am starting to regret not PPF the hood, it's got three or four pretty interesting stone chips... But the price for that is no joke and it is a workhorse, so meh
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:00 pm

Are you stoked about the car coming soon? Any ragrets or just :excited: to finally have it?
I was washing my car yesterday, and am starting to regret not PPF the hood, it's got three or four pretty interesting stone chips... But the price for that is no joke and it is a workhorse, so meh
How many miles on that bitch now...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:08 pm

About 25k miles... not bad for the first year, but weirdly I WFH like 4 days/week so it's all long distance highway slogging. I still fugging love commuting with it, zero issues.
max225

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:12 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:08 pm
About 25k miles... not bad for the first year, but weirdly I WFH like 4 days/week so it's all long distance highway slogging. I still fugging love commuting with it, zero issues.
:impressive: mileage for a non commuter commuter. My taco has been pretty decent but the teen MPG is annoying at points and I think about how to "fix" that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Winter tires have been an epic waste this year, with exception of two or three driving events. I'll be nuzzled into my couch or bed, and every once in a blue moon someone will be having a bad time and call me to help debug/repair their equipment. When that request is paired with any of the three nasty snow storms we receive per winter, the driving is downright treacherous and I get to play "Am I On Road Right Now" as big rigs blast slush at my windshield in near white out conditions. It is those and only those few times that I'm glad I spent the money on snow tires... They are worthless for the rest of the winter here. I noticed that the last two winters have been much more mild then in the past, we are currently getting rain and a forecast of above freezing (balmy) weather for the next week. If things keep progressing in this way I'll probably stop switching over altogether.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:25 pm
Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:12 pm

:impressive: mileage for a non commuter commuter. My taco has been pretty decent but the teen MPG is annoying at points and I think about how to "fix" that.
It's a really nice truck though, one of my favorite vehicles on the forum and I'm not really a truck guy TBH. I can't advise you on the :math: , since you do it better then I do anyways. It's nice to have variety, I like having a fuel sipping car paired with wife's SUV... GR86 would be :nice:
max225

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:35 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:25 pm

It's a really nice truck though, one of my favorite vehicles on the forum and I'm not really a truck guy TBH. I can't advise you on the :math: , since you do it better then I do anyways. It's nice to have variety, I like having a fuel sipping car paired with wife's SUV... GR86 would be :nice:
The GR certainly crosses my mind a lot. But it just doesn't fit my current driving "lifestyle" and it would have to live outside or the truck or another car would as it would be a 3rd car... and I don't force myself enjoying a 50-100 mile R/T on our freeways which is how I pile on miles on most of my vehicles.

I am occasionally thinking about a golf R... as it would keep practicality high. But truck would have to go... and I am not quite ready for that yet. I actually really like driving it. To me the suspension is just plain excellent for the garbage roads we have... But the engine is just sooo .... slow and fuel inefficient. An incredibly weird combo for a Toyota.

Rest of cost of ownership is super low.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:40 pm
Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:35 pm

The GR certainly crosses my mind a lot. But it just doesn't fit my current driving "lifestyle" and it would have to live outside or the truck or another car would as it would be a 3rd car... and I don't force myself enjoying a 50-100 mile R/T on our freeways which is how I pile on miles on most of my vehicles.

I am occasionally thinking about a golf R... as it would keep practicality high. But truck would have to go... and I am not quite ready for that yet. I actually really like driving it. To me the suspension is just plain excellent for the garbage roads we have... But the engine is just sooo .... slow and fuel inefficient. An incredibly weird combo for a Toyota.

Rest of cost of ownership is super low.
I liked driving my R, but not so much for commuting.. They are geared too high for freeway usage IMO
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: There's a lot in play right now, still trying to have a kid and car prices are dropping like crazy, so I feel sort of like it's a dumbass purchase but the wife is really encouraging me to :doit: as I don't really treat myself to stuff outside of trips that are more for her anyway. So :ohwell: I think I'll love it and I'm very excited, I just hope I don't have to dump it for a $10K loss in a year.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:19 pm

:iono: There's a lot in play right now, still trying to have a kid and car prices are dropping like crazy, so I feel sort of like it's a dumbass purchase but the wife is really encouraging me to :doit: as I don't really treat myself to stuff outside of trips that are more for her anyway. So :ohwell: I think I'll love it and I'm very excited, I just hope I don't have to dump it for a $10K loss in a year.
Stop right there. Free car.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:29 pm

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I am 100% :doit:

:popcorn:

My inner :scrooge: runs deep though, and I'm struggling a bit with it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah having to dump it a year later for a 10k drop is pretty unfortunate, hopefully that won't be the case. :dat: bright red paint :doe: , it's going to be so uplifting to look at and rip! :jelly:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:29 pm

:word:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I found my new ride this morning. :plac:

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:58 pm Well, I am 100% :doit:

:popcorn:

My inner :scrooge: runs deep though, and I'm struggling a bit with it.
Disc golf is free tho
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:35 pm I found my new ride this morning. :plac:

SEE
Desertbreh

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:35 pm I found my new ride this morning. :plac:

Hot
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I know nothing about them but it was funny to see a kei van just sitting there. Apparently it's 4WD and a Mitsubishi.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:51 pm

Hot
:dat: do want.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:02 pm Wife was rear ended last night, almost 2 years to the date of her rear ending someone. Waiting on the process now to see if they’re gonna total the Traverse out or not; I’m thinking they will simple because she was advised NOT to drive away from the scene by the cops and the force of the impact broke the damn exhaust off under the thing at the cats/mid pipe. Both her and the boys are ok, but I’m honestly livid that she’s been in another fucking accident and that we’re likely gonna have to replace the damn thing again and she’s not gonna be happy with my choices to replace it. At this point, I want her in as tanker a vehicle as I can get, and she’s refusing to get anything bigger than another Traverse.
Update: Traverse is repairable and on it's way to the shop to start the process. Initial estimate from insurance is a hair over $10k in damage, with the most expensive parts are the exhaust, which they're completely replacing; and the liftgate/hatch, which they're also replacing instead of trying to fix. Both quarter panels are apparently going to be cut off and replaced instead of having body work done, the spare wheel well is being cut out and replaced, and the bumper and all its sensors have to be replaced. Annoyed that they're not totaling it, but also relieved that we don't have to try and purchase another car in this market and us arguing over what to get. Curious to see what other damage the shop uncovers once they start removing parts though and if it changes whether or not insurance decides to total it.