Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:21 pm Traverse is basically a school bus. If someone hits that they're hitting anything. Throw a step or something into the hitch receiver on whatever you get for a bit of a buffer on impact.
I’m either gonna get one of those step things for it if we get it back, or whatever we replace it with, or just put the receiver I have from the Colorado in it instead.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

One of those steps fucked up my Corvette fender they're good protection.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:21 pm Traverse is basically a school bus. If someone hits that they're hitting anything. Throw a step or something into the hitch receiver on whatever you get for a bit of a buffer on impact.
:dat:

The Traverse isn't exactly a Miata.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:02 pm Wife was rear ended last night, almost 2 years to the date of her rear ending someone. Waiting on the process now to see if they’re gonna total the Traverse out or not; I’m thinking they will simple because she was advised NOT to drive away from the scene by the cops and the force of the impact broke the damn exhaust off under the thing at the cats/mid pipe. Both her and the boys are ok, but I’m honestly livid that she’s been in another fucking accident and that we’re likely gonna have to replace the damn thing again and she’s not gonna be happy with my choices to replace it. At this point, I want her in as tanker a vehicle as I can get, and she’s refusing to get anything bigger than another Traverse.
I am glad your family is ok and the Traverse seemed to held up the impact pretty well. But just sucks when it happened.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think I agree with this sentiment, not sure it would make a difference. Glad to hear the family was OK, hopefully the Traverse can live to see another day!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I did some fun driving in the mountains this weekend. I went up to my buddy's mountain house with some other guys and hit some twisties in both my old BMW (the friend who bought it from me owns the house we were all hanging at) and a 2011 Boxster base :manuel: my other friend rented on Turo. He currently has no car (sold his Boss 302) and is considering purchasing a 986, so he wanted to try out a Coxster.

The thing's clutch was clearly about done, it smelled after our drives and the engagement point was way way high. Outside of that, Boxsters are pretty damn sweet. It's really pretty comfortable and uncompromised inside for linebacker status bros, plenty of headroom, decent ride, pretty refined. Everything seemed to be in pretty good shape for a 12 year old Turo with 80K miles, although the top mechanism was broken. Braking and handling were great, it sounds good, pulls rather well for not even being an 'S'. The trunks have quite a lot of room as well, these things would be way better dailies than a Miata or something like that.

All in all a really fun car and seems hard to beat for the money, maintenance costs concerns aside. The one bad thing was the shifter feel sort of sucks in these, another Euro car to add to the list of meh shifter feel.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I did some fun driving in the mountains this weekend. I went up to my buddy's mountain house with some other guys and hit some twisties in both my old BMW (the friend who bought it from me owns the house we were all hanging at) and a 2011 Boxster base :manuel: my other friend rented on Turo. He currently has no car (sold his Boss 302) and is considering purchasing a 986, so he wanted to try out a Coxster.

The thing's clutch was clearly about done, it smelled after our drives and the engagement point was way way high. Outside of that, Boxsters are pretty damn sweet. It's really pretty comfortable and uncompromised inside for linebacker status bros, plenty of headroom, decent ride, pretty refined. Everything seemed to be in pretty good shape for a 12 year old Turo with 80K miles, although the top mechanism was broken. Braking and handling were great, it sounds good, pulls rather well for not even being an 'S'. The trunks have quite a lot of room as well, these things would be way better dailies than a Miata or something like that.

All in all a really fun car and seems hard to beat for the money, maintenance costs concerns aside. The one bad thing was the shifter feel sort of sucks in these, another Euro car to add to the list of meh shifter feel.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

You thought the non s was decent speed wise ? Dang … I Just couldn’t do it… it felt like a Camry … worse even than a v6 Camry. But agreed on other things they are fun sporty cars. But every time I get out one … I think what else can I get for that money
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I still miss the sound of the 981 I rented.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:12 pm You thought the non s was decent speed wise ? Dang … I Just couldn’t do it… it felt like a Camry … worse even than a v6 Camry. But agreed on other things they are fun sporty cars. But every time I get out one … I think what else can I get for that money
:iono: 987.2 :manuel: is sub 6 second 0-60, pretty equivalent speed to the car I'm buying. I actually think a BRZ/86 vs. 987.2 Cayman/Boxster is a legit cross shop, similar performance/price/size, do you want mid engine and 'prestige' or a warranty?

I rented that 6.4 Challenger a few weeks back and :iono: I just have zero interest in cars that are actually fast, there is literally nothing you can do with that on the whole of the East Coast.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:00 am
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:12 pm You thought the non s was decent speed wise ? Dang … I Just couldn’t do it… it felt like a Camry … worse even than a v6 Camry. But agreed on other things they are fun sporty cars. But every time I get out one … I think what else can I get for that money
:iono: 987.2 :manuel: is sub 6 second 0-60, pretty equivalent speed to the car I'm buying. I actually think a BRZ/86 vs. 987.2 Cayman/Boxster is a legit cross shop, similar performance/price/size, do you want mid engine and 'prestige' or a warranty?

I rented that 6.4 Challenger a few weeks back and :iono: I just have zero interest in cars that are actually fast, there is literally nothing you can do with that on the whole of the East Coast.
It's not really much faster than your Corvette was. I feel like the size of it just makes the car seems like it's just extra, comparatively speaking.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:38 pm

It's not really much faster than your Corvette was. I feel like the size of it just makes the car seems like it's just extra, comparatively speaking.
:notwrong: zero to 60 and 1/4 mile are similar. That said, I wouldn't want anything faster than a C5 and I think the C5 was fun in other ways besides just power and sound. Power is pretty low on the totem pole for me in how much fun a vehicle is, which I guess is my overall point. I think a base Boxster is waaaay more fun than a big power boat like a 6.4 Challenger, having driven both in the past few weeks.

A lot of this is dependent on location though, if you lived in rural TX or something power is sort of all you've got and you would have more opportunities to use it.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I need to see the trunk space on a boxster at some point. Probably too small for my gear but they're cool cars and relatively cheap.

Unrelated, but last week I rode in a Bolt for the first time. It was the version with extra cladding for off-roading because murica. We fit 6 non-DFD-sized adults in it to go across town, 2 bigger guys in the front and 4 skinny ladies in the back. I'd be fine with something that size at the absolute largest.

The car itself seemed... fine. Nothing really noteworthy about it at all.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 pm I need to see the trunk space on a boxster at some point. Probably too small for my gear but they're cool cars and relatively cheap.

Unrelated, but last week I rode in a Bolt for the first time. It was the version with extra cladding for off-roading because murica. We fit 6 non-DFD-sized adults in it to go across town, 2 bigger guys in the front and 4 skinny ladies in the back. I'd be fine with something that size at the absolute largest.

What kind of gear are we talking
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Usually 2 guitars, a small PA system, and a bag full of various cables. All fits fine in the mazda3 hatch, would be fine in something like an Audi TT hatch too. I think Cayman/Boxster would be a no-go.

At this point I might actually want the :truk: seating position to see better in town, which would mean something like a 500 Abarth for gas-powered cars or Bolt/i3 in electrics.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I remembered that the appliance I want actually does kind of exist:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2014 ... irst-test/

29xx lbs, 400 ft-lbs in a compact hatch that doesn't cost $40k+

Should be cheap since they only existed from 2014-16. Dunno about battery longevity :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 pm I need to see the trunk space on a boxster at some point. Probably too small for my gear but they're cool cars and relatively cheap.

The Boxster trunk space was pretty :impressive: You'd probably have to put guitars in the passenger seat but could fit smallish PA speakers in the trunk/Frunk. I'd say the frunk is like 2X the size of a Miata trunk and the rear one about 3X the size. It was also pretty spacious feeling inside.

Tough to beat a Corvette for hauling stuff in a sports car :doe:
max225

Given my experience with an E46 and 370z which was also a similar thing... weight/hp etc. And I'd take the more reliable car every time.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:03 pm

Given my experience with an E46 and 370z which was also a similar thing... weight/hp etc. And I'd take the more reliable car every time.
I like the idea of a cool older car but don't think that I'm ever going to have the time/patience to deal with old car things again.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:19 pm
I like the idea of a cool older car but don't think that I'm ever going to have the time/patience to deal with old car things again.
Or the cool older car needs to be simple AF. I am not tearing down an engine/trans in the "comfort of my home". Been there done that and FUCK that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Me too. I think I'd rather have a 987.2 S for the ~$35K OTD I'm buying for if I could guarantee reliability/low maintenance, but you can see which way I'm actually going.

Indeed the idea of a neat old car is well, neat... but I feel like it's cooler to see other people's at C&C or whatever than actually :dealwithit: unless you have no other hobbies/family obligations.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Having an old enthusiast car is a hobby I'm not really interested in. Even the S2000, which is about as reliable as older cars get, was kind of a pain. Trim pieces break, rubber wears out, etc.

A new car, left stock, is the least amount of headaches for the most enjoyment.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 am Having an old enthusiast car is a hobby I'm not really interested in. Even the S2000, which is about as reliable as older cars get, was kind of a pain. Trim pieces break, rubber wears out, etc.

That was what I came to as well, I have too much other stuff going on/I enjoy and don't particularly care for wrenching. I also want to track from time to time and be able to just drive to/from events with somewhat little worry.

I wouldn't mind an oldish daily as I wouldn't care as much when trim pieces and such break. I actually kind of covet an Element for some dumb reason. I think fuel economy is too shit to pull the trigger though.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 am
MrH42 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 am Having an old enthusiast car is a hobby I'm not really interested in. Even the S2000, which is about as reliable as older cars get, was kind of a pain. Trim pieces break, rubber wears out, etc.

That was what I came to as well, I have too much other stuff going on/I enjoy and don't particularly care for wrenching. I also want to track from time to time and be able to just drive to/from events with somewhat little worry.

I wouldn't mind an oldish daily as I wouldn't care as much when trim pieces and such break. I actually kind of covet an Element for some dumb reason. I think fuel economy is too shit to pull the trigger though.
You're making due with 1 car at the moment which suggests you don't drive that much... and your gas prices are 2.99? Why do gas prices matter on an Element? That thing will likely get 20-23mpg which seems perfectly fine. Not like it's a 6.2L AWD escalade.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 am

:evilplan:

I had an Element. It was both the best car and the worst car. I would love nothing more than a new, EV Element. A man can dream.