Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Any links to ID.4 that are $9,000 off? I could ship one from CA....
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:24 pm Any links to ID.4 that are $9,000 off? I could ship one from CA....
Shit is not uploading for some reason.... It was tracy VW "January special". I even took screen shots of it... And I doubt they will sell out of state.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:00 pm
MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:24 pm Any links to ID.4 that are $9,000 off? I could ship one from CA....
Shit is not uploading for some reason.... It was tracy VW "January special". I even took screen shots of it... And I doubt they will sell out of state.
You were talking about the ID4 a couple months ago you should have jumped on that.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

…why would they refuse to sell out of state, if they have to cut prices $9k to move cars, while the rest of the country is selling them for msrp or over? None of this makes any sense.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:20 pm

…why would they refuse to sell out of state, if they have to cut prices $9k to move cars, while the rest of the country is selling them for msrp or over? None of this makes any sense.
Have you not shopped for cars lately ? Toyota for ex restricted out of state sales at some point.

I don’t make the rules, just reporting on my local market. Which is the biggest EV market in the country.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:05 pm
You were talking about the ID4 a couple months ago you should have jumped on that.
Yea … but hard to jump on anything at a time. Most cars that I am looking at are depreciating like crazy right now.
Tesla # 1 player slashed prices by 12k , 2 weeks ago... this is the fall out from that … and more to come. Hard to ignore that massive shift.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 pm
MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:20 pm

Have you not shopped for cars lately ? Toyota for ex restricted out of state sales at some point.

I don’t make the rules, just reporting on my local market. Which is the biggest EV market in the country.
Yeah, they did that when they had really tight supply on things. That doesn’t coincide with cutting $9k off cars in inventory
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 pm

Yeah, they did that when they had really tight supply on things. That doesn’t coincide with cutting $9k off cars in inventory
they are probably trying to comply with some stupid CA law.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:52 am
MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 pm

they are probably trying to comply with some stupid CA law.
Which law
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/radwood-ch ... 5958284387

@Dan

I'd like to think I'm responsible for this as I brought it up while working for Radwood at the Chicago show. Unfortunately it's the same weekend as Gridlife CMP but that's close enough I think I can do both.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I enjoyed this review.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:38 pm

I enjoyed this review.
Is that a scooter?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:19 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:38 pm

I enjoyed this review.
Is that a scooter?
its a scooter cycle? IDK what it is. it goes hwy speeds, just prob not for long
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:36 pm https://www.eventbrite.com/e/radwood-ch ... 5958284387

@Dan

I'd like to think I'm responsible for this as I brought it up while working for Radwood at the Chicago show. Unfortunately it's the same weekend as Gridlife CMP but that's close enough I think I can do both.
Dude, I just saw this yesterday! :melon: is actually considering attending as well.

I didn't know Grid Life CMP was a thang either.

:excited:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:58 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:36 pm https://www.eventbrite.com/e/radwood-ch ... 5958284387

@Dan

Dude, I just saw this yesterday! :melon: is actually considering attending as well.

I just bought 3 camping passes for Gridlife, and plan on just making the trip back to Radwood on that Saturday.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:58 pm

@Dan

This is tempting...
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Wife was rear ended last night, almost 2 years to the date of her rear ending someone. Waiting on the process now to see if they’re gonna total the Traverse out or not; I’m thinking they will simple because she was advised NOT to drive away from the scene by the cops and the force of the impact broke the damn exhaust off under the thing at the cats/mid pipe. Both her and the boys are ok, but I’m honestly livid that she’s been in another fucking accident and that we’re likely gonna have to replace the damn thing again and she’s not gonna be happy with my choices to replace it. At this point, I want her in as tanker a vehicle as I can get, and she’s refusing to get anything bigger than another Traverse.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:02 pm Wife was rear ended last night, almost 2 years to the date of her rear ending someone. Waiting on the process now to see if they’re gonna total the Traverse out or not; I’m thinking they will simple because she was advised NOT to drive away from the scene by the cops and the force of the impact broke the damn exhaust off under the thing at the cats/mid pipe. Both her and the boys are ok, but I’m honestly livid that she’s been in another fucking accident and that we’re likely gonna have to replace the damn thing again and she’s not gonna be happy with my choices to replace it. At this point, I want her in as tanker a vehicle as I can get, and she’s refusing to get anything bigger than another Traverse.
Fuuuuck. :(
Glad she and the CF are ok, :doe:
What kind of car hit her? What damage did it get? What do you want her in next? I mean, sounds like the Traverse did its job and protected everyone inside, thank goodness.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:05 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:02 pm Wife was rear ended last night, almost 2 years to the date of her rear ending someone. Waiting on the process now to see if they’re gonna total the Traverse out or not; I’m thinking they will simple because she was advised NOT to drive away from the scene by the cops and the force of the impact broke the damn exhaust off under the thing at the cats/mid pipe. Both her and the boys are ok, but I’m honestly livid that she’s been in another fucking accident and that we’re likely gonna have to replace the damn thing again and she’s not gonna be happy with my choices to replace it. At this point, I want her in as tanker a vehicle as I can get, and she’s refusing to get anything bigger than another Traverse.
What kind of car hit her? What damage did it get? What do you want her in next? I mean, sounds like the Traverse did its job and protected everyone inside, thank goodness.
It was a like 2012 Toyota Highlander that hit her, and it was inoperable at the scene when I got there to get the kids. Lights worked, radio I think was working, car wasn’t running though and the front end was smashed something fierce and there was a lot of fluid under it.

The Traverse took the hit like a champ for sure, and if we have to get another one, then we will. I’d rather her get a Tahoe or the like now, and she doesn’t want that. I’d have her take the Blazer and buy a truck, but she doesn’t want to do that either cause the blazer is ‘mine’ and she doesn’t wanna take it because of that.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Glad everyone is ok. A 4Runner might be that good middle ground of size but BOF sturdiness.
max225

Dang. Glad she is ok as are the kids. I would probably prioritize getting her into the biggest/safest car you can.

Did she take pics of the accident?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:11 pm
Dang. Glad she is ok as are the kids. I would probably prioritize getting her into the biggest/safest car you can.

Did she take pics of the accident?
That’s why I want a Tahoe. She did, but the sun was setting rapidly and they’re not great
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:24 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:05 pm

It was a like 2012 Toyota Highlander that hit her, and it was inoperable at the scene when I got there to get the kids. Lights worked, radio I think was working, car wasn’t running though and the front end was smashed something fierce and there was a lot of fluid under it.

The Traverse took the hit like a champ for sure, and if we have to get another one, then we will. I’d rather her get a Tahoe or the like now, and she doesn’t want that. I’d have her take the Blazer and buy a truck, but she doesn’t want to do that either cause the blazer is ‘mine’ and she doesn’t wanna take it because of that.
Bigger doesn't automatically mean safer. If the Traverse took the hit and everyone came out okay, then it did its job.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:05 am
Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:24 pm

Bigger doesn't automatically mean safer. If the Traverse took the hit and everyone came out okay, then it did its job.
Correct. Never said I wanted her in something safer, said I want her in something bigger, so that she’s hopefully more visible to those around her. Hoping the damn thing isn’t totaled out, but I’m planning for the worst and trying to make my case to her for something larger.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Traverse is basically a school bus. If someone hits that they're hitting anything. Throw a step or something into the hitch receiver on whatever you get for a bit of a buffer on impact.