Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:53 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:49 pm

So poverty
poverty is where you end up after buying a 60k mazda that will be 6k in 7 years.
:notwrong:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:53 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:49 pm

So poverty
poverty is where you end up after buying a 60k mazda that will be 6k in 7 years.
I can't wait that sounds like a great deal
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I can't believe Mazda is launching a whole new I6... whole lotta :butwhy: going on with that brand.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I like the big motor.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:20 pm I can't believe Mazda is launching a whole new I6... whole lotta :butwhy: going on with that brand.
IIRC Lexus is supposed to be using this platform for the next gen IS/GS
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:28 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:20 pm I can't believe Mazda is launching a whole new I6... whole lotta :butwhy: going on with that brand.
IIRC Lexus is supposed to be using this platform for the next gen IS/GS
That would explain the why completely. A brand new I6 is a "Luxury" powertrain, throwing it into a mazda ecosystem filled by cost conscious :derp: 's seems futile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Looks alright. Rear end is pretty bulbous / lot of mass. Interior seems fine aside from the old looking tech.

I think aside from badges, the swoopy design of the cars isn’t really resonating with everyone. Case in point the Telluride vs the CX9. One looks like a truck and was a wild success. The other looks like a bulbous minivan and rotted on lots. Same price points.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

From a "product planning" standpoint, it makes some sense. Mazda's been trying to go "premium mainstream" for some time, which may or may not be the right call, :iono:

But the vehicle itself, Longitudinal (and thus RWD-based?) platform with a powerful engine is actually pretty rare in the segment. Exploder and Grand Cherokee are about it, and :whocares: right? Towing. A RWD-based thing can tow quite a bit more than a FWD-based thing, and that's a unique proposition in this segment. It's not a mistake the thing is pictured towing an Airstream, I bet they're going to go after this market hard. Expeditions, Tahoes, and Sequoias are so :waxer: that there's a market for RWD full-size SUVs that can tow. And for Japanese companies, there's zero competition (unless you consider the 4R I guess), so at least Mazda is doing something unique.

If the engine is used in premium Lexus products, then the volume is there for a business case. Really interesting :notbad: moves by Toyota overall.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 pm Looks alright. Rear end is pretty bulbous / lot of mass. Interior seems fine aside from the old looking tech.

I think aside from badges, the swoopy design of the cars isn’t really resonating with everyone. Case in point the Telluride vs the CX9. One looks like a truck and was a wild success. The other looks like a bulbous minivan and rotted on lots. Same price points.
Pretty much everything in this segment looks the same now. Aero combined with pedestrian safety standards pretty much dictate this shape now. It's not bad, but what it is.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:17 pm From a "product planning" standpoint, it makes some sense. Mazda's been trying to go "premium mainstream" for some time, which may or may not be the right call, :iono:

But the vehicle itself, Longitudinal (and thus RWD-based?) platform with a powerful engine is actually pretty rare in the segment. Exploder and Grand Cherokee are about it, and :whocares: right? Towing. A RWD-based thing can tow quite a bit more than a FWD-based thing, and that's a unique proposition in this segment. It's not a mistake the thing is pictured towing an Airstream, I bet they're going to go after this market hard. Expeditions, Tahoes, and Sequoias are so :waxer: that there's a market for RWD full-size SUVs that can tow. And for Japanese companies, there's zero competition (unless you consider the 4R I guess), so at least Mazda is doing something unique.

If the engine is used in premium Lexus products, then the volume is there for a business case. Really interesting :notbad: moves by Toyota overall.
Maybe it will be in the next gen Supra.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:17 pm From a "product planning" standpoint, it makes some sense. Mazda's been trying to go "premium mainstream" for some time, which may or may not be the right call, :iono:

If they are cost sharing with Toyota it seems pretty interesting that they will now have a cool/powerful engine within their lineup. Mazda has had nice vehicles with lame ass powertrains for many years now, curious to see what else this goes in.

A fairly high powered inline six RWD platform seems :neat: and I think the car looks nice for what it is.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:32 pm

Maybe it will be in the next gen Supra.
Out of the gate it's like 50-100 hp down on the BMW unit which is actually pretty reliable. :notsure:

I suppose it's one :tuna: away from 450 HP :nuke:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:11 pm

If they are cost sharing with Toyota it seems pretty interesting that they will now have a cool/powerful engine within their lineup. Mazda has had nice vehicles with lame ass powertrains for many years now, curious to see what else this goes in.

A fairly high powered inline six RWD platform seems :neat: and I think the car looks nice for what it is.
Toyota just continues to impress. A lot of really smart moves in this market, interesting to see what the future holds.

Now that people can't buy anything at any price, ICE cars and hybrids are going to get more attention, mark my words.

Just today I was interviewing a candidate with my (now former) boss to replace me. Dude works at Ford on EVs and he said there's a lot of internal turmoil over the EV only strategy. Apparently when people can't buy anything at any price and the reality of supply chain and infrastructure here sinks in, old plans need to be dusted off. ICE, hybrids, etc he said it's a shit show in planning at the moment.

:popcorn:

I really think Toyota is going to really dominate the next decade in the industry.
max225

Ima just leave this here … model Y is outselling the Camry world wide now …

Which is why everyone is trying to make EVs except they decided to go super high end … which is the issue. But tesla just forced price cuts on everyone.

IDs are 9k off locally… like that’s insane

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:11 pm

Toyota just continues to impress. A lot of really smart moves in this market, interesting to see what the future holds.

Now that people can't buy anything at any price, ICE cars and hybrids are going to get more attention, mark my words.

Just today I was interviewing a candidate with my (now former) boss to replace me. Dude works at Ford on EVs and he said there's a lot of internal turmoil over the EV only strategy. Apparently when people can't buy anything at any price and the reality of supply chain and infrastructure here sinks in, old plans need to be dusted off. ICE, hybrids, etc he said it's a shit show in planning at the moment.

I really think Toyota is going to really dominate the next decade in the industry.
And Hybrids are why. if you cannot get an unlimited supply of things for the batteries, it makes a lot of sense to have a ton of electric with ICE range extended vehicles in your lineup. Toyota has the best IP on these setups. This is what will add value for the vast majority of consumers. Why have a battery that has 200+ miles of range when 50-75 is good enough for 90% of your driving?

I really think that as the reality of the scarcity of these minerals sinks in more stuff will go in this direction. Also, I know, CA 2035, yea, whatever. :member: origonal ZEV program? I :member:
The first phase, beginning in 1990 and running through 2003, was marked by highly optimistic goals set by the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the agency with the authority to set the stringency of the mandate: 10 percent of new car sales in the state were to be electric by 2001. The rules were “technology forcing,” in that the technology did not exist at the time at a commercial scale. The goals were not even close to being feasible, and there were almost no electric vehicles on the road by 2001. CARB had to backtrack on the regulations a number of times during this period, and a court order required them to put the ZEV rules on hold for several years.
https://www.resources.org/common-resour ... e-success/
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 pm Ima just leave this here … model Y is outselling the Camry world wide now …

Which is why everyone is trying to make EVs except they decided to go super high end … which is the issue. But tesla just forced price cuts on everyone.

You're definitely living in an EV bubble. You're not getting $9k off an ID.4 anywhere else in the country.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:30 am
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:41 pm

And Hybrids are why. if you cannot get an unlimited supply of things for the batteries, it makes a lot of sense to have a ton of electric with ICE range extended vehicles in your lineup. Toyota has the best IP on these setups. This is what will add value for the vast majority of consumers. Why have a battery that has 200+ miles of range when 50-75 is good enough for 90% of your driving?

I really think that as the reality of the scarcity of these minerals sinks in more stuff will go in this direction. Also, I know, CA 2035, yea, whatever. :member: origonal ZEV program? I :member:
The first phase, beginning in 1990 and running through 2003, was marked by highly optimistic goals set by the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the agency with the authority to set the stringency of the mandate: 10 percent of new car sales in the state were to be electric by 2001. The rules were “technology forcing,” in that the technology did not exist at the time at a commercial scale. The goals were not even close to being feasible, and there were almost no electric vehicles on the road by 2001. CARB had to backtrack on the regulations a number of times during this period, and a court order required them to put the ZEV rules on hold for several years.
To me it all depends on price. Some EVs like the ID4 for ex are just about as much as a prius locally... I'd probably pick the EV.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 pm Ima just leave this here … model Y is outselling the Camry world wide now …

You're definitely living in an EV bubble. You're not getting $9k off an ID.4 anywhere else in the country.
Maybe? Ford is now discounting the MachE up to 7k
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:16 pm
MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:15 pm

Are you talking price cuts from the dealer, or the OEM? Ford announced some price cuts on the Mach E that are between a couple hundred bucks up to $5900, depending on the trim level.

I don't see any EV selling for below MSRP around here.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:18 pm

Are you talking price cuts from the dealer, or the OEM? Ford announced some price cuts on the Mach E that are between a couple hundred bucks up to $5900, depending on the trim level.

I don't see any EV selling for below MSRP around here.
I mean the point is the prices are coming down. The reason the ID4 has 9k on the hood here is because tesla slashed prices by up to 12k. Others are following. The gap between EVs and non EVs is non existent here now in the 40-60k purchase range.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I wouldn't say the gap is non-existent. Mainstream ICE crossovers aren't in the $40k-$60k range. A Rav4 isn't the same price as an ID.4.

A lot of what's driving sales right now is this 1 quarter exemption on the EV credit requirements. Take out the incentives, and they're still dramatically more expensive. We're kind of seeing a perfect storm driving huge EV sales right now (big EV credit + excess inventory & capacity on Tesla's part). It's not a reduction in cost that's creating more price parity.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:26 pm I wouldn't say the gap is non-existent. Mainstream ICE crossovers aren't in the $40k-$60k range. A Rav4 isn't the same price as an ID.4.

A lot of what's driving sales right now is this 1 quarter exemption on the EV credit requirements. Take out the incentives, and they're still dramatically more expensive. We're kind of seeing a perfect storm driving huge EV sales right now (big EV credit + excess inventory & capacity on Tesla's part). It's not a reduction in cost that's creating more price parity.
Yep you can still get a base FWD model for cheaper. But once you compare say a Rav 4 Prime to a ID4 the gap isn't there.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:30 am

To me it all depends on price. Some EVs like the ID4 for ex are just about as much as a prius locally... I'd probably pick the EV.
as we have discussed, you are in a minority in this opinion. And thats fine, but you are rich.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:29 pm
MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:26 pm I wouldn't say the gap is non-existent. Mainstream ICE crossovers aren't in the $40k-$60k range. A Rav4 isn't the same price as an ID.4.

Yep you can still get a base FWD model for cheaper. But once you compare say a Rav 4 Prime to a ID4 the gap isn't there.
So you're counting PHEV as "Non-EVs"? PHEVs are typically splitting the price difference between ICE and EVs. There's still a big divide though in terms of pricing.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:36 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:29 pm

So you're counting PHEV as "Non-EVs"? PHEVs are typically splitting the price difference between ICE and EVs. There's still a big divide though in terms of pricing.
I am counting anything with an ICE as a non ev.