OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:03 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:19 pm

:impressive:

I've always been afraid of being outed so no ear piercings, and not interested in any other piercings anyway. Tattoos I'm too indecisive for - how could I possibly choose one image to have on my body every day for the rest of my life? That's like choosing one car to drive or one food to eat or one song to listen to or one shirt to wear every day forever. Impossible.
I have always wanted tattoos but won't ever get any for that exact reason, it's a tough commitment.
No personal desire for tattoos and I think the voiced concerns are definitely a consideration. Survived 3 yearsof firefights in the Mekong Delta or Iraq or Afghanistan with your squad? That seems like something I could look at until death. Less so most other things.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:53 pm

I have always wanted tattoos but won't ever get any for that exact reason, it's a tough commitment.
No personal desire for tattoos and I think the voiced concerns are definitely a consideration. Survived 3 yearsof firefights in the Mekong Delta or Iraq or Afghanistan with your squad? That seems like something I could look at until death. Less so most other things.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:57 pm

Pretty much
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

:word:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:28 pm Sup fellas, I have a nice relaxing weekend with :tits: were staying at a nice cozy hotel amongst our 1st year anniversary from the day we first met (yesterday to be exact).

Last night we checked in a marriott property which is one of their autograh collection as their nicer/unique/bougier line of marriott as my employee discounts will end in April. A regular rate is almost $300 a night, I only paid $100 per night. So we checked in on Friday, in Columbia, MD not far where Chris is gonna move. Then we head over to Baltimore to this french restaurant which turns out to be more :waxer: than I was expecting. I was presently surprised not to only have a fine dining experience, there was also a stage like an old school small stage with drapes.
Here's the place: https://monarquebaltimore.com/

By yours truly!!

Hotel also has a spa which we both took advantage of, so the purpose is to relax a little bit. We both are tired as of now. Wrapping it off by watching some basketball, then get some shuteye.

Good night fellas
:fancy: Sounds fun :doe: , may as well enjoy the discount perks while you have them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:45 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:22 am
I love this. I've really gotten into jam bands the last year or so, and some of my favorites are the least expected. Trey Anastasio Band has a full horn section, a drummer and a percussionist, plus Trey and a bassist. Lettuce (heavy Jazz/funk) is another wacky experience with a ton of different instruments.

The creative jamming with a variety of musicians and instruments is just on another level, and I'd love to watch this sort of stuff live with local musicians. I hope you can pull it off, that would rule.
:word:

I'm way more interested to see people improvising than strumming the same old Tom Petty tunes, but it's not clear whether it would actually sell beer. Luckily I can probably convince some people to give it a shot regardless. Getting a few core regulars is what it'll need to take off, I think there is room and enough talent in the local scene for something like it.

I had "the talk" with my friend who owns the venue I've played at most frequently and he and his wife were cool. Not really surprising since their place is a known refuge for any and all of us weirdos, but a relief nonetheless. Looks like we'll be starting shows back up soon with the weather going back to normal.
I would bet there are enough musicians who want to sit in for a song or two to support the necessary beer sales, any spectators who like that stuff would be gravy on top. Plenty of people don't want that sure, but if it's one bar for a night or two a month, I think you could get a good audience in any city.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man, one of my favorite coworkers, a guy I trained and mentored over the past two years or so, called me last night to tell me he's quitting :disappoint:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:50 am Man, one of my favorite coworkers, a guy I trained and mentored over the past two years or so, called me last night to tell me he's quitting :disappoint:
:doomed:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:50 am Man, one of my favorite coworkers, a guy I trained and mentored over the past two years or so, called me last night to tell me he's quitting :disappoint:
He realized he'll never be as good as you so he's cutting his losses.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 am
He realized he'll never be as good as you so he's cutting his losses.
:pouroneout:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:butwhy:
Did he land another/better gig?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:11 am
Yeah, a guy he used to work for at a staffing/recruiting place evidently quit that company and started his own a couple of years ago; he reached out to my dude with an offer with equity and I guess more pay, he said he would've been 'dumb not to take it'.

:ohwell: gotta do what's best for you and your fam, but :iono: staffing always seemed kind of :poop: to me, a lot of sales people started there and say it's rough.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am
wap wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:11 am

Yeah, a guy he used to work for at a staffing/recruiting place evidently quit that company and started his own a couple of years ago; he reached out to my dude with an offer with equity and I guess more pay, he said he would've been 'dumb not to take it'.

:ohwell: gotta do what's best for you and your fam, but :iono: staffing always seemed kind of :poop: to me, a lot of sales people started there and say it's rough.
:dat:
Prior to LinkedIn/the internet, I used to get called by recruiters all the time and they almost always seemed to be the bottom rung of sales, like used car salesmen but for jerbs. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I have a loooooooooot of random accounts and things to change names on, seems like a lot of these I should just ignore or close... like my golfmk6.com account. Will be :popcorn: to see how long all of the official changes take. It seems like the process is at least semi-straightforward without any obvious catch-22's: Criminal background check -> legal name change -> social security name change -> driver's license change -> everything else (passport, bank accounts, insurance, etc.).
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:57 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am

:dat:
Prior to LinkedIn/the internet, I used to get called by recruiters all the time and they almost always seemed to be the bottom rung of sales, like used car salesmen but for jerbs. :disgust:
Man, it's not a lot different.

My jerb I got it up by a staffing company. Dude reached out to me on LinkedIn...I liked the sound of his pitch, agreed to a meeting. He pushed to meet as soon as possible, settled on the next day. I got a meeting invite from not him. Turned out to be the main recruiter (or at least the person I talked to the most) but once I got passed on to the employer, I had her, the hiring manager at the company, some c-level people (I think because of my position?) and then some other recruiting people on meetings and e-mails. Interviews were set up by the recruiting people, but they were a tad disorganized so I just bypassed the middle men and worked with the people at the company directly after a while. The offer process was managed by someone at the recruiting company, not the main recruiter, then the main recruiter popped in from time to time to clarify things. Final signing was done with HR at the employer directly, but I feel like it all could have just been done by her. Very salesey experience. Fortunately, the direct employer is 5/7 and I can see through that kind of sales stuff by the recruiting company,

I get it, for a small company like mine, they need people to go grind out on LinkedIn and bring in leads. Most people probably suck, so the recruiter weeds all of them out before wasting the time of the company with interviews. I wouldn't want to be in staffing, seems like a super ebb and flow type business with a ton of :bs: to navigate.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:18 am I have a loooooooooot of random accounts and things to change names on, seems like a lot of these I should just ignore or close... like my golfmk6.com account. Will be :popcorn: to see how long all of the official changes take. It seems like the process is at least semi-straightforward without any obvious catch-22's: Criminal background check -> legal name change -> social security name change -> driver's license change -> everything else (passport, bank accounts, insurance, etc.).
I don't think you're going to cheat yourself out of any meaningful enlightenment unloading that one.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

A bit shocked to see golfmk6 come up.. I think none of us have owned one in what 5+ years?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:42 pm A bit shocked to see golfmk6 come up.. I think none of us have owned one in what 5+ years?
I would say all Mark VIs are hoopties but I just drove a 14 year old car to work.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:03 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:42 pm A bit shocked to see golfmk6 come up.. I think none of us have owned one in what 5+ years?
I would say all Mark VIs are hoopties but I just drove a 14 year old car to work.
Yea but we’re talking German plumber vs German executive sled. There is a difference
SAWCE

I see a handful of nicely modded MKVIs up here and it makes me miss mine. They were great cars.
SAWCE

Fucking pumped.. DoC just reversed their mandatory in-office 2x per pay period decision and is making our organization full remote. Perfect timing with buying the house out here. I’ll drive up to Seattle for the last time tomorrow.

I’ll take a minor pay cit since my pay will now be based on where I live vs where I “work”, and Portland is given a lower locality rate than Seattle is, but I’ll happily take a few thousand less per year to never have to worry about needing to be in the office again. :fuckyeah:
SAWCE

Apparently they’ve been tracking applications to new job postings.. stuff that was for organizations who have full remote were getting 100+ applications per posting, while our partial telework postings were getting fewer than 10 applicants :lol: We also lost a handful of people as soon as they announced the decision to go back to partial in office, so that helped them finally decide to reverse it too.

In order to make it permanent, we all have to reapply for our jobs with the new listings they’ll put out for all of us, but that won’t be a problem and we’ve been promised nobody will not be re-hired.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm Apparently they’ve been tracking applications to new job postings.. stuff that was for organizations who have full remote were getting 100+ applications per posting, while our partial telework postings were getting fewer than 10 applicants :lol: We also lost a handful of people as soon as they announced the decision to go back to partial in office, so that helped them finally decide to reverse it too.

In order to make it permanent, we all have to reapply for our jobs with the new listings they’ll put out for all of us, but that won’t be a problem and we’ve been promised nobody will not be re-hired.
Government life :amazing: . Wonder if anything will happen once the tax revenues go way down… 23 will be brutal for most gov entities with the “elite” tax payers no longer compensated and taxed into oblivion
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:10 pm Fucking pumped.. DoC just reversed their mandatory in-office 2x per pay period decision and is making our organization full remote. Perfect timing with buying the house out here. I’ll drive up to Seattle for the last time tomorrow.

I’ll take a minor pay cit since my pay will now be based on where I live vs where I “work”, and Portland is given a lower locality rate than Seattle is, but I’ll happily take a few thousand less per year to never have to worry about needing to be in the office again. :fuckyeah:
.GOV cheese and WFM 100%. Time to get huge.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm Apparently they’ve been tracking applications to new job postings.. stuff that was for organizations who have full remote were getting 100+ applications per posting, while our partial telework postings were getting fewer than 10 applicants :lol: We also lost a handful of people as soon as they announced the decision to go back to partial in office, so that helped them finally decide to reverse it too.

Government life :amazing: . Wonder if anything will happen once the tax revenues go way down… 23 will be brutal for most gov entities with the “elite” tax payers no longer compensated and taxed into oblivion
:bruh: :lolol:

We print 40-50% of what we spend last time i checked. Less tax revenu won't deter them.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.