Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:46 am
Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:13 am

GT's used to be small. Look at the E-type.
Everything used to be small. :truckyeah:

A small GT car would be :megusta: They just don't seem to exist anymore.
Miata is pretty much E-type sized isn't it? BRZ is like a 944/240Z/RX7 type GT too.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:50 am

Miata is pretty much E-type sized isn't it? BRZ is like a 944/240Z/RX7 type GT too.
I sat in an 86 at the Detroit Auto show and really fell in love with it. Fits me like a glove, I couldn't believe it. Problem is, sounds like it's too harsh/sporty to be a solid GT car based on other's feedback here.

It's at the top of my list for fun cars :doe: .
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I actually found the Corvette to be incredible for long highway trips, it was fuel efficient, great passing power, plenty of room in the cabin, solid HVAC, with good shocks the ride was decent. Fast sports cars suck more in cities than road tripping.

Renting isn't a bad idea at all, the only problem is if it's just one way it can be :waxer: RT rentals are pretty cheap, probably a better :dill: than driving your own car really.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:57 am

I sat in an 86 at the Detroit Auto show and really fell in love with it. Fits me like a glove, I couldn't believe it. Problem is, sounds like it's too harsh/sporty to be a solid GT car based on other's feedback here.

Allegedly the BRZ is a lot more compliant.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:13 am

GT's used to be small. Look at the E-type.

Supra. C8.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Supra would be way too tight for Big C. I also find sporty cars to be great. The higher feet to waist ratio, and the ability to recline the seat is great for that "zero gravity" posture. It helps my lower back. Also unless Chris' company is going to pay for a 90 day rental I don't see how that would make any sense.

A 997 on 18" wheels would be an easy car to drive for hours. The seat can go pretty far back, and the back seat would be perfect for a day bag with supplies or a cooler.

As nice as easy as a newish A5 or new Legacy? Definitely not, but much more enjoyable for when he's in MD or MI for a few months at a time.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:39 pm

Allegedly the BRZ is a lot more compliant.
Really curious to hear what you think of yours.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:53 pm Supra would be way too tight for Big C. I also find sporty cars to be great. The higher feet to waist ratio, and the ability to recline the seat is great for that "zero gravity" posture. It helps my lower back. Also unless Chris' company is going to pay for a 90 day rental I don't see how that would make any sense.

A 997 on 18" wheels would be an easy car to drive for hours. The seat can go pretty far back, and the back seat would be perfect for a day bag with supplies or a cooler.

As nice as easy as a newish A5 or new Legacy? Definitely not, but much more enjoyable for when he's in MD or MI for a few months at a time.
This guy gets it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 pm

Supra. C8.
For some reason, I just don't want a C8. A C7.... :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:39 pm I actually found the Corvette to be incredible for long highway trips, it was fuel efficient, great passing power, plenty of room in the cabin, solid HVAC, with good shocks the ride was decent. Fast sports cars suck more in cities than road tripping.

Renting isn't a bad idea at all, the only problem is if it's just one way it can be :waxer: RT rentals are pretty cheap, probably a better :dill: than driving your own car really.
The C5 was indeed a great highway car. Surprisingly great, actually. If it was just a tad better around town, it would be pretty perfect. I should consider a C7, actually. I love those, and if prices get to be more in line with reality, could be a 5/7 way to go. Sebring Whorange GS :megusta:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

My only complaint about the C5 on road trips is the wind noise, but I have original seals and the clear roof.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 pm

Supra. C8.
Which part do you dislike? The sub 3 second 0-60? The superlative mid engine handling? Or does the lack of esteek just crush your soul?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

My 86 was fine on 17's with decent tires. I think the new ones coming with 18" :ramz: and hard Prius tires makes it review as harsh.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Are the new ones on "prius" tires? I thought they switched to Michelins Pilots?
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:09 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:59 pm
Which part do you dislike? The sub 3 second 0-60? The superlative mid engine handling? Or does the lack of esteek just crush your soul?
While I do want to row my own, I just don't like the way it looks. It's hard to describe, but I just don't lust after it. My neck will whip around at the sight of a widebody C7, but I saw a C8 Z06 the other day and it was just meh to me.

I can't use a sub-3 sec 0-60 anywhere, nor the superlative handling. I want to just WANT the thing in a somewhat primal way.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:09 pm

While I do want to row my own, I just don't like the way it looks. It's hard to describe, but I just don't lust after it. My neck will whip around at the sight of a widebody C7, but I saw a C8 Z06 the other day and it was just meh to me.

I can't use a sub-3 sec 0-60 anywhere, nor the superlative handling. I want to just WANT the thing in a somewhat primal way.
Makes sense. I've seen some C8s that do it for me, some that don't. What DOESN'T do it for me are black ramz C8's. And it sort of annoys me that I have to spend $5000 on a BROLA exhaust system as part of my purchase because I am not driving more than 10 miles with those square exhaust tips. No can do. Meanwhile the four trumpets in the center of the C7 are full :dedong: approved.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:27 pm Are the new ones on "prius" tires? I thought they switched to Michelins Pilots?
I think it depends on the trim/options. Some have primacy, some pilot sports.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:21 pm

My 86 was fine on 17's with decent tires. I think the new ones coming with 18" :ramz: and hard Prius tires makes it review as harsh.
I'd put 17's on a new one if they fit. :gtfo: with huge :ramz:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:27 pm Are the new ones on "prius" tires? I thought they switched to Michelins Pilots?
:dat: poverty spec gets 17s with Prius:225: , :fancy: gets 18s with PS4. I wish it was something different, I don’t really want the PS4 but whatever, they’ll only last 5k miles anyway .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:40 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:33 pm

Makes sense. I've seen some C8s that do it for me, some that don't. What DOESN'T do it for me are black ramz C8's. And it sort of annoys me that I have to spend $5000 on a BROLA exhaust system as part of my purchase because I am not driving more than 10 miles with those square exhaust tips. No can do. Meanwhile the four trumpets in the center of the C7 are full :dedong: approved.
They are pretty color/wheel/spoiler/body kit dependent. I’d say C8 is one of the ugliest Corvette generations, probably lowest on the looks totem pole for me personally. I also hate the lack of manual… All that being said, I’d still take one.

After the :poop: Pack Chally last week though, I really don’t want a fast car anymore. It’s just basically having a hot ass gf who’s saving it for marriage.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:36 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:53 pm

:dat: poverty spec gets 17s with Prius:225: , :fancy: gets 18s with PS4. I wish it was something different, I don’t really want the PS4 but whatever, they’ll only last 5k miles anyway .
I'd take off the stock stuff and immediately replace it with aftermarket 17s. Save the stockers for resale.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Would you not have to go with a tire that has stiffer sidewalls in order to not give up steering response, or at the very least go with a more aggressive alignment? I know the Mickeys I have on my car are far from the best tire, but I noticed the difference in sidewall stiffness immediately even on suburban two lanes, and it kind of diluted the sports car experience.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:16 am Would you not have to go with a tire that has stiffer sidewalls in order to not give up steering response, or at the very least go with a more aggressive alignment? I know the Mickeys I have on my car are far from the best tire, but I noticed the difference in sidewall stiffness immediately even on suburban two lanes, and it kind of diluted the sports car experience.
The front end on my Corvette felt really good on the Falken 615k but I’m sure those are quite stiff, too your point, being that they’re a 200TW tire.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I mean I'm not here to stop you from importing some sick 17" JDM wheels from Yahoo auctions JP either
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:36 pm

I'd take off the stock stuff and immediately replace it with aftermarket 17s. Save the stockers for resale.
Storing extra wheels and tires is :disgust: