Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:52 am

Yes, but that ride quality on the track translates to a miserable ride quality on the street. The new Type R looks like it is riding about as well as a 90s shitbox on eBay coilovers, whereas the Golf R looks to have a much more compliant ride at the expense of only one second at the track, which is a second I wouldn't miss on my daily commutes.
Exactly we’re saying the same thing.

I still think the mk8 golf has been unfairly destroyed by the automotive press for “buttons”. yet the civic keeps being elevated even though no mortal can buy one without paying as much as an m3 worth of cash for it.
Ah, I misread your post.

I haven't driven the MK8 yet, but by all accounts I have read, it seems like everything is an improvement aside from the lack of buttons, which appears like VW is correcting in the near future. I'm not too keen on the GTI's honeycomb fog lights, but I do like the R. If they would bring that R estate wagon over here, that would be my next vehicle of choice.

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Honda is over hyped in general
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:17 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 am

Exactly we’re saying the same thing.

I still think the mk8 golf has been unfairly destroyed by the automotive press for “buttons”. yet the civic keeps being elevated even though no mortal can buy one without paying as much as an m3 worth of cash for it.
Ah, I misread your post.

I haven't driven the MK8 yet, but by all accounts I have read, it seems like everything is an improvement aside from the lack of buttons, which appears like VW is correcting in the near future. I'm not too keen on the GTI's honeycomb fog lights, but I do like the R. If they would bring that R estate wagon over here, that would be my next vehicle of choice.

:dat:
:jimp:

Shit, I'd happily settle for a GTI estate.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Am I crazy for considering ways to try and get the wife to agree to trade her Traverse in on a new Tahoe or the like of her choice, or the Blazer in on a new RDX Type S in 24'?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Devilchrono wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 pm Am I crazy for considering ways to try and get the wife to agree to trade her Traverse in on a new Tahoe or the like of her choice, or the Blazer in on a new RDX Type S in 24'?
The RDX is a really nice car and I think you'd like it a lot.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Devilchrono wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 pm Am I crazy for considering ways to try and get the wife to agree to trade her Traverse in on a new Tahoe or the like of her choice, or the Blazer in on a new RDX Type S in 24'?
RDX Type S seems to be a great car. I find the newest Tahoes to be :disgust: looking but I'm sure they're :thisisfine:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:18 am
RDX Type S seems to be a great car. I find the newest Tahoes to be :disgust: looking but I'm sure they're :thisisfine:
No not crazy at all, Acura is independent now, only sharing small amounts of parts with Honda, even though their factory is the factory where my accord was built. I feel like they are reaching their peak in the early 2000's imo.

I'm also really liking the new TLX type-s.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Speaking of accord, I spontaneously decided to rent a mini countryman with :manuel: off turo throughout this week. As far as workload goes, this is gonna be an easier week, so I'll have some driving fun for sure. :excited:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also my parents are in Turkey until towards xmas, so I'm gonna :derp: around in the cucktek when I commute, errands and shit. Accord needs a break.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Speaking of car talk...

I had to convince my nephew that people don't buy brand new BMW /M cars "to go drifting with because they have drift mode" Over vacation. Oh, and drugs. So fun times!
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I’ve not seen a new Type S on the road but they just look great and I keep looking at them to replace my Blazer, even though it’s only a year old.

My moms High Country is amazing, and in white, the front end isn’t all that bad. My wife likes the interior color on it but isn’t sold on the size; thinks it’s too big and she wouldn’t like it. My argument though is that we have so much crap to take with us cause of two kiddos and such, that the larger suv makes more sense for the long run.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:24 pm

I’ve not seen a new Type S on the road but they just look great and I keep looking at them to replace my Blazer, even though it’s only a year old.

My moms High Country is amazing, and in white, the front end isn’t all that bad. My wife likes the interior color on it but isn’t sold on the size; thinks it’s too big and she wouldn’t like it. My argument though is that we have so much crap to take with us cause of two kiddos and such, that the larger suv makes more sense for the long run.
I can see that argument. When we did our cross country trip with just the two of us and :doge: the Jeep was completely packed to the max. Kids require a lot of accoutrements.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah I kind of think I should have bought a highlander instead of the CRV. With just one kid and a dog we are fully packed to the max on road trips. If we had another kid I have no clue what we would do. I’d need a roof box at the very least.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Dunno what y'all carry all over hell, but I also don't travel more than 10 miles from home anymore nor see the point of a :baby: so :whocares:

If you wait a few years, you can change diapers on your parents instead.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:03 pm Dunno what y'all carry all over hell, but I also don't travel more than 10 miles from home anymore nor see the point of a :baby: so :whocares:

If you wait a few years, you can change diapers on your parents instead.
Sadly I’m already there… I’ve actually never changed a :baby: diaper but have now helped my dad piss countless times.

:disappoint:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:37 pm

Yeah I kind of think I should have bought a highlander instead of the CRV. With just one kid and a dog we are fully packed to the max on road trips. If we had another kid I have no clue what we would do. I’d need a roof box at the very least.
The Traverse truly eats up the crap that we've gotta carry for the 2 kiddos, but it still makes for a tight fit for any long-ish trips. Until you have kids and have to plan for a trip, you truly don't think of all the stuff that they require. We're done at 2 (made sure of that) and I don't want to jump the gun just because we're tight on space, when that 'should' be alleviated in a year or so when we don't need some of the bigger stuff for the baby.
Huckleberry

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:54 am Speaking of accord, I spontaneously decided to rent a mini countryman with :manuel: off turo throughout this week. As far as workload goes, this is gonna be an easier week, so I'll have some driving fun for sure. :excited:
I feel like the Clubman is the last :manuel: wagon one can buy in the US.
Last edited by Huckleberry on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleberry

Duplicate
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I rented an auto Countryman a while back and that car kinda sucked.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 pm I rented an auto Countryman a while back and that car kinda sucked.
After driving it for a bit, I would've regret it if it was an auto, the rest of the car was kinda meh, it drives kind of how I expect as mini, feels sharper, of course being spoiled by carplay, it didn't have it. Ride quality was :disappoint: considering what class is it on. Being a Mini, interior space, especially in the backseat is just too small. Car was also slow (non-s), I checked the specs. Outside of johnny cooper, even the regular s is dangerously slow in :plac: standards, even rudy's :tits: 2.5 jetta would be dead even with the s. Considering the base model starts at $34k.

Now, let's compare the basic specs here, :manuel: high ride crossover (close to it's regular car counterpart) thats bought with the intention of daily driver and being able to take on some adventures. Cloth seats, etc.

Base model crosstek starts at $23k, :manuel: , cloth seats, AWD as standard, apple car play whereas for the countryman, in order to get awd it's not far from $40k. Crosstek is way more absorbent over bumps whereas countryman is the complete opposite. $36k cucktek gets you leather seats, faster engine 2.5 instead of 2.0, sunroof, heated seats, x-mode, etc. I would not have the desire to own what I have right now, but felt happy with :manuel: like a kid on christmas day.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also the countryman has a larger gas tank than my accord :disappoint: :dafuq:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 pm I rented an auto Countryman a while back and that car kinda sucked.
After driving it for a bit, I would've regret it if it was an auto, the rest of the car was kinda meh, it drives kind of how I expect as mini, feels sharper, of course being spoiled by carplay, it didn't have it. Ride quality was :disappoint: considering what class is it on. Being a Mini, interior space, especially in the backseat is just too small. Car was also slow (non-s), I checked the specs. Outside of johnny cooper, even the regular s is dangerously slow in :plac: standards, even rudy's :tits: 2.5 jetta would be dead even with the s. Considering the base model starts at $34k.

Now, let's compare the basic specs here, :manuel: high ride crossover (close to it's regular car counterpart) thats bought with the intention of daily driver and being able to take on some adventures. Cloth seats, etc.

Base model crosstek starts at $23k, :manuel: , cloth seats, AWD as standard, apple car play whereas for the countryman, in order to get awd it's not far from $40k. Crosstek is way more absorbent over bumps whereas countryman is the complete opposite. $36k cucktek gets you leather seats, faster engine 2.5 instead of 2.0, sunroof, heated seats, x-mode, etc. I would not have the desire to own what I have right now, but felt happy with :manuel: like a kid on christmas day.
Yep, I had a non-S auto and it was slow and had no CarPlay either. Funny you make that comparison as we had the Countryman on a vacation in Maine, I flew directly to Tampa for work after that and picked up a Cucktrek and I thought it was just barnone a better vehicle. The self driving crap worked way better, it was more spacious, the interfaces made more sense, the CVT was honestly OK and not really any worse than the Mini's auto. I would hands down buy a manual Cucktrek for a light SUV, slow or not, it's a great car that can do everything for not much money.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:48 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 pm

Yep, I had a non-S auto and it was slow and had no CarPlay either. Funny you make that comparison as we had the Countryman on a vacation in Maine, I flew directly to Tampa for work after that and picked up a Cucktrek and I thought it was just barnone a better vehicle. The self driving crap worked way better, it was more spacious, the interfaces made more sense, the CVT was honestly OK and not really any worse than the Mini's auto. I would hands down buy a manual Cucktrek for a light SUV, slow or not, it's a great car that can do everything for not much money.
:dat: I could see myself more on the cucktek as a daily as opposed to countryman, as much as I prefer manual. We have the larger 2.5 which unfortunately does not come with manual, with x mode and all that jazz. The sport mode is pretty responsive it was :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I drove a :manuel Countryman S and the Cucktrek back-to-back and ended up with the Cucktrek. The 2.5 Cucktrek really didn't feel all that much slower, not as engaging with the CVT, but it was a much better package overall. Sport mode in particular was quite :impressive: it's probably the most impactful sport mode I've ever used.

5/7 would buy another Cucktrek Sport.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:21 am I drove a :manuel Countryman S and the Cucktrek back-to-back and ended up with the Cucktrek. The 2.5 Cucktrek really didn't feel all that much slower, not as engaging with the CVT, but it was a much better package overall. Sport mode in particular was quite :impressive: it's probably the most impactful sport mode I've ever used.

5/7 would buy another Cucktrek Sport.
Man, all this Cucktrek :wub: talk is kinda making me :popcorn: over the new 2024 Impreza RS which should basically be a non-lifted Cucktrek with the 2.5 NA motor.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.