OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:28 pm Took a couple hits of ganj right after I pulled up to the gym. Got the perfect level of high to focus on lifting but not feeling as much pain at the end of sets and being able to push through a bit more. :nice:
:notbad:

I actually did an evening lift today which is rare for me but it fit into the schedule (recently I have to just stay flexible and can’t really do a routine). The clientele at the gym was quite different and it definitely stunk of weed :lolol: :jelly:

It was pretty dead when I arrived around 6:30 and just got busier and busier during the hour I was there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm "Digital Nomad" visas are starting to become a thing in some European countries. I noticed Portugal recently announced one that has me very interested. Basically, if you make over $2,750/mo remotely, you can get a visa to stay in the country for up to 2 years. I think it would be fun to rent a place for a year over there and get that experience. For me, it would make all my working with India way easier.
That sounds awesome, also it’s sort of genius on Portugal’s part. Get that influx of foreign money and they don’t have to provide any services that they would to citizens really.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm "Digital Nomad" visas are starting to become a thing in some European countries. I noticed Portugal recently announced one that has me very interested. Basically, if you make over $2,750/mo remotely, you can get a visa to stay in the country for up to 2 years. I think it would be fun to rent a place for a year over there and get that experience. For me, it would make all my working with India way easier.
That sounds awesome, also it’s sort of genius on Portugal’s part. Get that influx of foreign money and they don’t have to provide any services that they would to citizens really.
It's definitely a thing but it's also pretty much for young people who don't have anything to lose. Like that program in Portugal just started this month and they could kill it at any time, not to mention one can get fired from their tech job at any time. If I were 21 again I'd be all over it, but I'm not about to sell my house now to try to get over there.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:28 pm Took a couple hits of ganj right after I pulled up to the gym. Got the perfect level of high to focus on lifting but not feeling as much pain at the end of sets and being able to push through a bit more. :nice:
:notbad:

I actually did an evening lift today which is rare for me but it fit into the schedule (recently I have to just stay flexible and can’t really do a routine). The clientele at the gym was quite different and it definitely stunk of weed :lolol: :jelly:

It was pretty dead when I arrived around 6:30 and just got busier and busier during the hour I was there.
Oh yeah the AM and PM crowds are polar opposites lol.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:51 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:27 pm Im getting the fuck outta that shithole thats called my workplace. Fuck my life to pieces
What’s poppin?
I was :rage:

So we just hired a new front desk member. I was doing overnight (which im almost done with btw as we interviewed 6 candidates this week), we hired some :derp: bitch that came from bumfuck pennsylvania. She didn't show up, twice. We texted her, called her, she ghosted us, by probably quitting. She has worked a hotel there as well. So first thing is she bitched about the fact that we don't have a housekeeper supervisor that does not know how to use the system. First off that only takes 10 mins of your time. She got worked up and complained the housekeeping ladies can't speak english. You moved to a diverse area, what do you expect :lol:

Also her attire, lets just say I thought she's some guest. She showed up the first day with ripped jeans, a hoodie and loose laced chucks. :bruh: :facepalm: im pretty sure we won't see her again. Plus it's gonna be only 2 front desk members, cause one of the ladies requested time off in the Phillipines (where's shes from). She's a boomer that yells like its normal. She works night shift front desk and night auditor as a different hotel just to pay her bills. Fortunately our new agm is happy to partake atleast a few shifts so it won't be too hard for both of us. I'm also looking to work in dc on top of that so once I get hired I will give the boss my two weeks notice.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:58 pm

It's definitely a thing but it's also pretty much for young people who don't have anything to lose. Like that program in Portugal just started this month and they could kill it at any time, not to mention one can get fired from their tech job at any time. If I were 21 again I'd be all over it, but I'm not about to sell my house now to try to get over there.
I don’t think I’d do that either but it’s a cool option for people under the right circumstances. You could lose your job and be in trouble at any point, you’d just have to buy a flight back but outside of that it wouldn’t be that different. I have to travel/live in my territory for my job and as far as Texas and the Southeast goes, NC is pretty much the only place I’d live.

Texas…. :gag:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'd go to Portugal on the visa assuming it could end at any time. I wouldn't sell our house or even officially change my address if I didn't have to. I'd view it as an extended vacation for 6-12mos and nothing else.

Doesn't help if you really want to live there permanently, but I'm not sure I'd want to
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
Greece and Cyprus have a similar program and it's been quite successful. Although Cyprus just weathered a scandal where some .gov officials were found to have sold their "Golden Visas" to some less than stellar individuals instead of them going through the normal application process. :really:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:22 am

What’s poppin?

So we just hired a new front desk member. I was doing overnight (which im almost done with btw as we interviewed 6 candidates this week), we hired some :derp: bitch that came from bumfuck pennsylvania. She didn't show up, twice. We texted her, called her, she ghosted us, by probably quitting. She has worked a hotel there as well. So first thing is she bitched about the fact that we don't have a housekeeper supervisor that does not know how to use the system. First off that only takes 10 mins of your time. She got worked up and complained the housekeeping ladies can't speak english. You moved to a diverse area, what do you expect :lol:

Also her attire, lets just say I thought she's some guest. She showed up the first day with ripped jeans, a hoodie and loose laced chucks. :bruh: :facepalm: im pretty sure we won't see her again. Plus it's gonna be only 2 front desk members, cause one of the ladies requested time off in the Phillipines (where's shes from). She's a boomer that yells like its normal. She works night shift front desk and night auditor as a different hotel just to pay her bills. Fortunately our new agm is happy to partake atleast a few shifts so it won't be too hard for both of us. I'm also looking to work in dc on top of that so once I get hired I will give the boss my two weeks notice.
:disgust: :|
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What’s poppin?

Yea finding good help is tough nowadays.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:10 pm
Calvinball wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:59 pm

Lol

I seem to remember there’s a provider in FL that is one of the “known around the country” ones (though of course out of network with all insurance), and I think a pretty strong community presence in certain areas. The political scene though…
You remember correctly, I live about 6 blocks from them and in the middle of one of the most queer neighborhoods in the country. Going to appointments is literally a walk in the park. Local politics are great here, state ones not so much.
If it’s the same provider I’m thinking about, I also seem to remember that they might be open to single case agreements? That essentially makes them in-network. If not, you’ll want to talk to your member services about whether a gap exception is possible.
:therapist:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:21 am

Id disclose a few things about the "marriott" I work for. The building itself, lets just say pretty much any other marriott property ive been to, everywhere. Whether its in a city, whether its in a smaller town and so on. I felt like im walking into a 5 star hotel at minimum.

Plus with the new boss, I felt more like a first responder than anything else. My schedule may say off, next thing I know, phone call. First off, what if I'm out at a bar getting shitfaced for instance and answer drunk. We even got an email saying do not put phone on do not disturb, i swear to fucking god. Im pretty much playing the survival mode until I land myself at a better place. I've spent one night and even if its for free, im not staying there again.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Calvinball wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:50 am
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:10 pm

You remember correctly, I live about 6 blocks from them and in the middle of one of the most queer neighborhoods in the country. Going to appointments is literally a walk in the park. Local politics are great here, state ones not so much.
If it’s the same provider I’m thinking about, I also seem to remember that they might be open to single case agreements? That essentially makes them in-network. If not, you’ll want to talk to your member services about whether a gap exception is possible.
Yeah there are options. Things are simply expensive no matter what though, as random middle class folks we can either have healthcare (beyond catastrophic event coverage, like actual ongoing care with wellness in mind vs merely staying alive) or save for retirement (which is mostly also healthcare spending...) - or I guess YOLO and hope you die before you get old.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

To that point, I’m getting really worried about my parents now that my dad’s healthcare has failed. I’d estimate they’re spending $1k/week minimum on his care/condition, not sure how that will pan out in the long haul financially. My mom owns a business and while she’s not retired, she can barely work now due to taking care of him so income is down as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:41 am
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:21 am

Id disclose a few things about the "marriott" I work for. The building itself, lets just say pretty much any other marriott property ive been to, everywhere. Whether its in a city, whether its in a smaller town and so on. I felt like im walking into a 5 star hotel at minimum.

Plus with the new boss, I felt more like a first responder than anything else. My schedule may say off, next thing I know, phone call. First off, what if I'm out at a bar getting shitfaced for instance and answer drunk. We even got an email saying do not put phone on do not disturb, i swear to fucking god. Im pretty much playing the survival mode until I land myself at a better place. I've spent one night and even if its for free, im not staying there again.
Dude, fuck being on call all the time like that. What will they do if you just don’t answer and just come in for your assigned shifts? Not like they can fire you as it sounds like you’re one of the few decent employees they have.

I have customers who call/email me on the weekends. I’ll answer if I’ve got nothing better going on but I have no issue making them wait until Monday.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:29 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:41 am

Dude, fuck being on call all the time like that. What will they do if you just don’t answer and just come in for your assigned shifts? Not like they can fire you as it sounds like you’re one of the few decent employees they have.

I have customers who call/email me on the weekends. I’ll answer if I’ve got nothing better going on but I have no issue making them wait until Monday.
I've had this on-call anxiety since when we didn't have kiddo I'd be willing to go in at any time and assist, but now that I have other major responsibilities, I have to battle my desire to reply to someone too quickly or constantly check my e-mail.

In my field, it's hit or miss. Oftentimes requests come in and are time-sensitive (security related) but other times it's just a hard habit to break. When I visited my friend in NYC he works IT for his company and he tells me unless it's an urgent/emergency, every e-mail he gets everyone knows it will take up to 24h for him to acknowledge/reply/initiate. I like that mentality and am trying to implement it.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:29 pm

I've had this on-call anxiety since when we didn't have kiddo I'd be willing to go in at any time and assist, but now that I have other major responsibilities, I have to battle my desire to reply to someone too quickly or constantly check my e-mail.

In my field, it's hit or miss. Oftentimes requests come in and are time-sensitive (security related) but other times it's just a hard habit to break. When I visited my friend in NYC he works IT for his company and he tells me unless it's an urgent/emergency, every e-mail he gets everyone knows it will take up to 24h for him to acknowledge/reply/initiate. I like that mentality and am trying to implement it.
This is something I'd prefer more. Ahead of time so I can plan things accordingly. I remember one day i was done with a double shift, mind you i woke up in noon. And i got a call saying our phillipino lady got food poisoning and I had to be there within 2 hours at the time. I was :rage: cause I was expecting to relax on that day.

Were now short staffed to the point that our agm is willing to take regular front desk shifts and she came from a much higher tier marriott, aka embassy suites.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:18 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:14 pm

I had the first Pixel and LOVED it, but it completely crapped out at the 12 month mark. Got a bit buggy & laggy, then just wouldn't turn on after about a week of that. Great software, but shit hardware, at least that one was. I switched back to an iPhone and I've gotten at least 3 years out of each one I've owned. :ohwell:
Interesting. I usually jump a model. Pixel 1 --> Pixel 3a --> Pixel 6.

My 3a I had for 3 years and it was working perfect, even had great battery life. Google offered a stupid amount of money for it on trade for a 6 ($300), so I took it. The 6 has been awesome for a few months now, but time will tell on that.
LOL same. I got the 6a to replace the 3a because they gave me, no shit, MORE than i paid for it. I got it for 200 with a promo for switching to sprint (rip), and they gave me 300 over 3 years later....what it cost NEW. The 3a was getting to be shit though, i think it needed a factory reset. Just slow and buggy and i never addressed properly.

I imagine there are doing some major spying on me to offer them that cheap. :aintcare:
Tar wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:36 pm I occasionally move all my photos to a memory card that I inserted into my $300 Samsung which is probably four years old and still working as well as it did on day one. I mentioned this to my brother who was painstakingly stripping pictures out of his iTrude 14 seventy pics at a time. He was not impressed with me sharing my observation and retorted with something about a camera.
LOL wifi and NAS *exist* tho
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:55 pm https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSRvhCk2G/

LOL NC's are boats

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:28 pm To that point, I’m getting really worried about my parents now that my dad’s healthcare has failed. I’d estimate they’re spending $1k/week minimum on his care/condition, not sure how that will pan out in the long haul financially. My mom owns a business and while she’s not retired, she can barely work now due to taking care of him so income is down as well.
Is it prescriptions? If so ask about a cash price. I had a HDP and my new doc is one of those "no insurance at all" subscription models. He gets drugs STOOPID cheap. Like a 90 day supply of the 2 generics i take went from a $40 for 90 day thing (still vv cheap) to $9.xx. Now hes not making anything at those prices, he runs it as a service for his clients. But the point is that sometimes you can save major $$ on drugs if they dont have to use your insurance. Its such a broken ass system.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

We finally found a Chinese place out here last night. They popped up in my IG feed a week or two back and we hadn't found a spot yet so decided to try it. Everything was 5/7. Did pork soup dumplings, shrimp fried rice, she got orange chicken, and I got broccoli beef. $66 for all of that, and we couldn't finish it all even with the help of MJ. Her orange chicken was really good.. instead of a thick glaze like you get at a lot of places it was a separate sauce with actual oranges marinating in it and you could dip the chicken in or, pour sauce over the chicken and toss like she did. My broccoli beef was also really good, only complaint was there were a few tough pieces of beef.
wap

:hai:
So I apparently fixed my ice maker. I removed it as per that youtube video I posted here. It was stupid easy, though the electrical connection was a little stubborn but got it unplugged after a bit of effort. Turns out the whole icemaker was packed full of ice. Hit it with a hair dryer a bit and let it dry out for an evening before reinstalling it. Left it in the freezer overnight and turned on the water the next morning and it immediately started working normally and making ice. It's been behaving normally for 2-3 days now so I'm calling it fixed. Cost me freefiddy and maybe 15-20 minutes of my time. :notbad: :scrooge:
SAWCE

wap wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:36 pm :hai:
So I apparently fixed my ice maker. I removed it as per that youtube video I posted here. It was stupid easy, though the electrical connection was a little stubborn but got it unplugged after a bit of effort. Turns out the whole icemaker was packed full of ice. Hit it with a hair dryer a bit and let it dry out for an evening before reinstalling it. Left it in the freezer overnight and turned on the water the next morning and it immediately started working normally and making ice. It's been behaving normally for 2-3 days now so I'm calling it fixed. Cost me freefiddy and maybe 15-20 minutes of my time. :notbad: :scrooge:
:fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Link to the YouTube vid?
Desertbreh

It's nice to have that happen every once in a while.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Tar wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:16 pm
Link to the YouTube vid?
It was in my original post lat week. The vid was spot on. My unit came out exactly as shown.
wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:44 pm Ok doods, anyone have any experience with a leaking ice maker in their freezer? I think someone went into our freezer during our Halloween party over the weekend and didn't close the door all the way. I noticed it Sunday because there was water dripping in the freezer and the quart of ice cream was a bit soft. I noticed that water was dripping out of the front of the ice maker where the cubes are discharged into the container on the inside of the freezer door. Also, the freezer temp was up to 16f instead of its normal 0. I turned off the ice maker and shut off the water supply and after a couple hours the temp went back down to zero so the freezer itself is still working. It held the proper temp all night and all day today so I turned the water back on and it immediately started to leak again. :rage:

Current working theory is that with the screwy temp fluctuation the moving parts got frozen and messed up works somehow. So I want to physically remove the ice maker unit, let it thaw out, maybe clean it, then put it back and turn on the water to see what happens. Found this vid on the Tubes. Looks pretty straightforward.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track?
Edit: my fridge is a KitchenAid but has exactly this ice maker unit.
Last edited by wap on Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:11 pm
It's nice to have that happen every once in a while.
Indeed. It's also nice that I saved myself a likely $300 service call and the time suck needed to make the appointment and be there when the guy shows up during the 4 hour appointment window, etc.