The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:40 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:30 pm

Same is true in Indiana, except it's basically the entire state outside of Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Bloomington, and the NW of the state closest to Chicago. It's fucking weird. Also explains why I'm way more comfortable in Michigan and Wisconsin than here.
I'm amazed by how quickly Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio get southern...and not in a good way. I like TN and the people there, and the cities in KY, but a lot of :disgust: outside of that.
I didn't want to say it, but :dat: is the unfortunate truth. Get a couple hours out of Chicago's collar counties, in any direction, and that's what you'll find. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Finally got her cleaned up after the TC trip.

Lookin pretty under the lights this morning walking out to the car at the gym.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

General car update -

I like a lot about this car, especially how it looks. There's no mistaking it for a run of the mill econobox. It feels special even though they're going to make as many of these as they can. It's a totally different experience having a dedicated sports car like this compared to anything else I've owned. However, some of those very things are what make it such a PITA.

Unrelated, but if the car itself feels kind of special, the engine does not. For as much as it's been improved from the gen 1, it sounds like a tractor and is still pretty slow. This engine just feels totally generic and blah. A Honda F22C this is not. Also, having a car this small is dumb with kids. Yes, I can get my son in the back, but it's a pain. I find myself taking the minivan even if it's just me and him because it's easier. If it's me and the twins this thing doesn't work, period. I think I'd get markedly more use out of a sports sedan.

I haven't driven the thing farther than to the gym since we got back from TC; owning it seems completely pointless most of the time. :ohwell:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sure does look good sitting in the gym parking lot, doe.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:jimp: Sorry to hear the experience isn't what you'd hoped for in some ways.

I'm kind of talking out my ass a bit here as I've yet to drive one of these, but regarding the engine being special... sure, as far as power output/delivery, it isn't. That said, I was listening to an older Smoking Tire podcast last night and they talked about driving the GR86 race car at Carolina Motorsports Park and how it was just incredible out there. It was cool for me as that's the track I have the most experience with and I have the BRZ on the way. One thing Matt kept coming back to though, was how the low COG really makes the car feel like the closest thing to a Porsche (in race car terms GT2 type stuff or whatever). The boxer 4, while maybe not the most exciting, is probably the biggest contributor to that low COG that makes the handling what it is.

:iono: food for thought, as much me trying to justify not cancelling my plans as anything :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:26 pm :jimp: Sorry to hear the experience isn't what you'd hoped for in some ways.

I'm kind of talking out my ass a bit here as I've yet to drive one of these, but regarding the engine being special... sure, as far as power output/delivery, it isn't. That said, I was listening to an older Smoking Tire podcast last night and they talked about driving the GR86 race car at Carolina Motorsports Park and how it was just incredible out there. It was cool for me as that's the track I have the most experience with and I have the BRZ on the way. One thing Matt kept coming back to though, was how the low COG really makes the car feel like the closest thing to a Porsche (in race car terms GT2 type stuff or whatever). The boxer 4, while maybe not the most exciting, is probably the biggest contributor to that low COG that makes the handling what it is.

:iono: food for thought, as much me trying to justify not cancelling my plans as anything :lolol:
You're not wrong, and I need to get it out and drive it in a performance setting more often. But on the street the powertrain IMO is a big part of what makes a car fun. If you're going to autoX and track the thing, get it out on some curvy roads semi-regularly, no question the BRZ will be a perfect choice. I unfortunately have the opportunity to do none of those things. Hell, it took me two weeks after our vacation just to find the time to get the bugs off of it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:26 pm :jimp: Sorry to hear the experience isn't what you'd hoped for in some ways.

The thing at 10/10 is probably amazing...that's what most people say and I believe it.

The hard part is, how often can you drive like that not on a track? If you lived near the canyons of Malibu or something, then sure it makes sense. But that problem is even worse when you live somewhere with only straight roads, and I think that's where this car just doesn't deliver. When roads are straight and boring, all you get is powertrain performance...and if the engine is uninspiring, that makes for a rather :flaccid: experience.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 pm The thing at 10/10 is probably amazing...that's what most people say and I believe it.

The hard part is, how often can you drive like that not on a track? If you lived near the canyons of Malibu or something, then sure it makes sense. But that problem is even worse when you live somewhere with only straight roads, and I think that's where this car just doesn't deliver. When roads are straight and boring, all you get is powertrain performance...and if the engine is uninspiring, that makes for a rather :flaccid: experience.
:dat:

It's either bewst (eventually) or bail, I think. But if I'm going to do the former, I'd probably be better off putting that money into a different car. Evo or STi, E90 or F80 M3. I think that'd be the list.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 pm The thing at 10/10 is probably amazing...that's what most people say and I believe it.

It's either bewst (eventually) or bail, I think. But if I'm going to do the former, I'd probably be better off putting that money into a different car. Evo or STi, E90 or F80 M3. I think that'd be the list.
I wouldn't try to mod it to perfection, that rarely works and you'll have lit thousands on fire in the process when you sell it anyway. Unless you like the tinkering, then that's another thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:46 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:04 pm

I wouldn't try to mod it to perfection, that rarely works and you'll have lit thousands on fire in the process when you sell it anyway. Unless you like the tinkering, then that's another thing.
Yeah I tend to agree here. If a fast car is what is coveted here, just get a fast car. If you can deal with the small coupe, a Corvette will be cheaper than trying to make an 86 fast, IMO. Or go for speed + more utility with one of the fast sedans mentioned. After owning the F30 for three+ years in total, I will say it's a pretty great platform and the F80 would be dope. I'd get that over a made-of-glass E90... faster, much nicer inside, less reliability issues I think. E90 will sound better though.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:46 pm
Yeah I tend to agree here. If a fast car is what is coveted here, just get a fast car. If you can deal with the small coupe, a Corvette will be cheaper than trying to make an 86 fast, IMO. Or go for speed + more utility with one of the fast sedans mentioned. After owning the F30 for three+ years in total, I will say it's a pretty great platform and the F80 would be dope. I'd get that over a made-of-glass E90... faster, much nicer inside, less reliability issues I think. E90 will sound better though.
Corvette would certainly be easier, but that doesn't solve the "can't enjoy it with kids" problem.

I had grand ideas of taking this thing to autoX events and a track day or two each year, but the reality is I have no time for such things. I just wasn't being honest with myself.

I made the mistake of driving a STi today and that's just far closer to what I'm looking for. Add a TBE and a tune and I think that'd do it. F80 would be quite bit more $$$, but I owe it to myself to try out one of those too. There's a F82 M4 close to me with ehsteek I'm sure they'd let me kick the tires on.

These are cool cars and excellent with the right use case, I just don't think that's me at this point in my life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:09 pm

Corvette would certainly be easier, but that doesn't solve the "can't enjoy it with kids" problem.

I had grand ideas of taking this thing to autoX events and a track day or two each year, but the reality is I have no time for such things. I just wasn't being honest with myself.

I made the mistake of driving a STi today and that's just far closer to what I'm looking for. Add a TBE and a tune and I think that'd do it. F80 would be quite bit more $$$, but I owe it to myself to try out one of those too. There's a F82 M4 close to me with ehsteek I'm sure they'd let me kick the tires on.

These are cool cars and excellent with the right use case, I just don't think that's me at this point in my life.
Yep, it all makes sense. Hell I don’t even have kids and have barely been to the track since selling the Corvette.
ChrisoftheNorth

Track and Auto-x, while a ton of fun, is a major time and money commitment. I really think it's more of a single person or young person thing. I miss it, but also won't buy a car for it hoping I'd get back into it. At this stage, I've thought about taking the S10 to an ice cross event (auto-x on a frozen lake), but that's about it...and I probably won't even do that.

An easy to live with approachable fast fun car that's enjoyable on the street would be a good idea IMO.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:20 am Track and Auto-x, while a ton of fun, is a major time and money commitment. I really think it's more of a single person or young person thing. I miss it, but also won't buy a car for it hoping I'd get back into it. At this stage, I've thought about taking the S10 to an ice cross event (auto-x on a frozen lake), but that's about it...and I probably won't even do that.

An easy to live with approachable fast fun car that's enjoyable on the street would be a good idea IMO.
man its been a bunch of years since auotx, i need to go to learn the new car and get practice. I was still able to do my mini moto days so that was awesome.

But yea, you have to make time and money and sometimes its just not in the cards.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

On 4psi? :ohdang:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:59 am On 4psi? :ohdang:
Or just buy a Supra …
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:44 am
coogles wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:59 am On 4psi? :ohdang:
Or just buy a Supra …
Sound advice. Thanks.
max225

coogles wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:44 am

Or just buy a Supra …
Sound advice. Thanks.
Better than ruining a brz/86. You’re welcome
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:59 pm
coogles wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:53 pm

Sound advice. Thanks.
Isn’t a manual Supra like $70k? Not exactly apples to apples. B58 is legit fast though.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:55 pm

Isn’t a manual Supra like $70k? Not exactly apples to apples. B58 is legit fast though.
The 4 cyl is plenty. It’s quick and comes turbonered from the fucktory with a warranty
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:32 pm

The 4 cyl is plenty. It’s quick and comes turbonered from the fucktory with a warranty
It’s a meh motor and no :manuel: (I think it’s i6 only).
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:22 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:32 pm

I'd mentioned a few posts back that my biggest problem with the GR86 outside of a lack of power is that it's too small to be useful for me. Why in the world would I ever consider a Supra?

My wife and I went to the Butler basketball game last night with our son, and got a babysitter for the twins for the evening. But of course, we couldn't take the 86, because my son can't fit in the back if someone is sitting in the front seat, unless that person up front has no legs. So instead, we took the Atlas. I think I've put about 5 miles on the car since we got back from Traverse City on the 9th.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:41 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:22 pm

I'd mentioned a few posts back that my biggest problem with the GR86 outside of a lack of power is that it's too small to be useful for me. Why in the world would I ever consider a Supra?

My wife and I went to the Butler basketball game last night with our son, and got a babysitter for the twins for the evening. But of course, we couldn't take the 86, because my son can't fit in the back if someone is sitting in the front seat, unless that person up front has no legs. So instead, we took the Atlas. I think I've put about 5 miles on the car since we got back from Traverse City on the 9th.
Drag Boat for sale. 568 stroker Big Block Chevy, full forged motor, Lunati errthang, 8-71 Weiand, 975 hp, 23K invested. Knocked up old lady again, boat must go. $6K obo.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Same price as the autos so mid 50's before you get bent over by the :dillerman: . Supras also seem to make well over 400hp.