Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The N20 engine has some timing chain issues, I think they're overblown on the internet though. It seems like with shortish oil change intervals, it can largely be avoided all together.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:50 pm The N20 engine has some timing chain issues, I think they're overblown on the internet though. It seems like with shortish oil change intervals, it can largely be avoided all together.
I still can't believe BMW recommended 15k mile oil changes... and JLR was recommending 20k... I think porsche was/is still.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Blackstone recommended 15k for my friend's E46
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:36 pm Blackstone recommended 15k for my friend's E46
An engine that chews through bearings with virgin oil... jesus Unless they were talking non m. It also kind of depends... if someone drives like 30k a year you can go a little longer.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:36 pm Blackstone recommended 15k for my friend's E46
An engine that chews through bearings with virgin oil... jesus Unless they were talking non m. It also kind of depends... if someone drives like 30k a year you can go a little longer.
It's a 325
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Just change the oil every 5K or annually. It is just not that difficult every mother's son on this forum could change the oil in any vehicle with a floor jack in like 30 minutes.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This is a good reminder to buy oil so I can change it again after I take a trip up to NY next weekend.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yet another reason I can’t wait to own an electric car.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 am Went to the Detroit auto show last night, it was superbly sad with only 4 manufacturers directly represented (GM, Ferd, Stellanus, Toyota). BUT I did get to sit in a GR86, which I regret. Fit like a glove, and the interior is really :notbad: the wants.
Wanna drive mine? I think we're planning to take it to TC next month. :sissyfight:
Oh word? Let me know if you do!

I really fit well in the car, I was surprised. It feels fantastic, and the wants are strong.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:49 am Got a fresh 'vana offer on the Beemah, $17.3K. I think I may take this one. It has dropped a bit over $2K since I started thinking about the BRZ/86 back in July, so lost a bit but :iono: having a car has been nice, made $600 from mileage on a work trip to Atlanta which offsets it a bit as well :ohwell:

I just imagine as winter rolls in, things will get worse. It also has some intermittent weird codes as of the past week which is kind of meh.

What say the peanut gallery about selling it on C&B versus this value? Seems like it's probably not worth the effort/risk to me but maybe it could go for $20K. This went for less back in February at peak :fullretard: but it has +32K miles and worse colors - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/98ZQjN ... 328i-sedan

Then there's this comp :gag: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rwvAJx ... 328i-sedan
Just take the Carvana offer and be on your way unless you enjoy fucking aroud.
:dat: Carvana is stupid easy and the money is guaranteed. I wouldn't mess with that. Take the money and run.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:41 am Yet another reason I can’t wait to own an electric car.
There's some promising stuff on the horizon. I was honestly quite impressed with the GM offerings I saw at the auto show. The Equinox looks like a great size and inoffensive, and the Blazer looks like a really nice sized tall wagon. GMs new interiors are really approaching top notch status, so their EVs are promising. Hopefully, there's more solid options from other mainstream OEMs on the horizon.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:21 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:53 am

Wanna drive mine? I think we're planning to take it to TC next month. :sissyfight:

I really fit well in the car, I was surprised. It feels fantastic, and the wants are strong.
We're for sure coming to TC, just :notsure: if we'll take the 86 or not.

I'm :notsure: if it's because of the shortish wheelbase, or maybe the mix of spring rates or something else, but on concrete highways with regular expansion joints, this thing bounces fore and aft in a way that made me sick just going around the 465 ring loop around Indianapolis. It's literally the only time I've ever been car sick in my life. My wife is much more sensitive to motion than I am as well, so I'm worried if we take it up there, we may be in for a not so fun road trip. But I REALLY want to have it when we get up there. So :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:43 pm

I'm :notsure: if it's because of the shortish wheelbase, or maybe the mix of spring rates or something else, but on concrete highways with regular expansion joints, this thing bounces fore and aft in a way that made me sick just going around the 465 ring loop around Indianapolis. It's literally the only time I've ever been car sick in my life. My wife is much more sensitive to motion than I am as well, so I'm worried if we take it up there, we may be in for a not so fun road trip. But I REALLY want to have it when we get up there. So :iono:
Wheelbase combined with suspension. I actually had this happen to me driving a C7 on track mode on a highway in Detroit...the wrong speed on the wrong pavement at the wrong time can be rather unpleasant, I get it.

But the roads up here are fantastic for driving, probably some of the twistiest in the region. Tough call for sure.

Our October is pretty slammed, but let me know when you come up. Can provide some reccos on wineries/breweries/restaurants/drives if you need any if we're tied up.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:51 pm Wheelbase combined with suspension. I actually had this happen to me driving a C7 on track mode on a highway in Detroit...the wrong speed on the wrong pavement at the wrong time can be rather unpleasant, I get it.

But the roads up here are fantastic for driving, probably some of the twistiest in the region. Tough call for sure.

Our October is pretty slammed, but let me know when you come up. Can provide some reccos on wineries/breweries/restaurants/drives if you need any if we're tied up.
We'll be there the 7th through the 9th. Sucks if you're too busy, but either way we'd gladly take some reccos!
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

I have no need for it, but the want to off the Blazer for an SQ5 is strong. My saving graces are the fact that the wife won't allow it and we need to be stashing money to move in another year or so, assuming the market corrects and houses are going for almost double what they're worth in our area.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 pm I have no need for it, but the want to off the Blazer for an SQ5 is strong. My saving graces are the fact that the wife won't allow it and we need to be stashing money to move in another year or so, assuming the market corrects and houses are going for almost double what they're worth in our area.
SQ5 has shitloads of modifications available via the aftermarket so it won't just be the initial investment :mahman:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:02 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 pm I have no need for it, but the want to off the Blazer for an SQ5 is strong. My saving graces are the fact that the wife won't allow it and we need to be stashing money to move in another year or so, assuming the market corrects and houses are going for almost double what they're worth in our area.
SQ5 has shitloads of modifications available via the aftermarket so it won't just be the initial investment :mahman:
I’m aware, I’ve been looking and found a bunch of stuff I’d want to do to one, and the fact that’s there’s no aftermarket for the Blazer is why I want to jump ship. That same fact though is another reason my wife will say no, and she’s be right about it right now, lol
max225

SQ5 is very decent... I just found it to be quite lackluster "stock" it felt almost no different than an X3 with the baby dick 4 cyl. The I6 X3s are completely different beasts compared to the Sq5. I'd cross shop both.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:43 pm

Interesting. I'm curious how this thing is on the highway, definitely in4review if you take it. I do a fair amount of highway trips to Atlanta and Raleigh (like 4 and 2.5 hours) for work and I may miss the 328i for that stuff. I can rent a car but kind of like taking my own for a change.

One thing that would suck is souring your wife on the car forever if the trip doesn't go well, so maybe see if you can get a test run in somehow?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:24 am Interesting. I'm curious how this thing is on the highway, definitely in4review if you take it. I do a fair amount of highway trips to Atlanta and Raleigh (like 4 and 2.5 hours) for work and I may miss the 328i for that stuff. I can rent a car but kind of like taking my own for a change.

One thing that would suck is souring your wife on the car forever if the trip doesn't go well, so maybe see if you can get a test run in somehow?
Most of the time it is 100% fine, the two times I've experienced this behavior (why do I always want to spell that with a u?) were on concrete, with expansion joints placed just right, which started to make the car pitch forward and back. I suspect the 86 would have this worse than the BRZ because it has a higher rear spring rate and the stiffer rear bar. I haven't heard anyone with the BRZ complain about compliance or road manners, but there are a few out there for 86. Even then, it's only in very specific conditions that I experience this, but the problem is, I don't know what kind of roads we'll be dealing with on the way up to Traverse City, other than the shitty Michigan variety.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:23 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:24 am Interesting. I'm curious how this thing is on the highway, definitely in4review if you take it. I do a fair amount of highway trips to Atlanta and Raleigh (like 4 and 2.5 hours) for work and I may miss the 328i for that stuff. I can rent a car but kind of like taking my own for a change.

Most of the time it is 100% fine, the two times I've experienced this behavior (why do I always want to spell that with a u?) were on concrete, with expansion joints placed just right, which started to make the car pitch forward and back. I suspect the 86 would have this worse than the BRZ because it has a higher rear spring rate and the stiffer rear bar. I haven't heard anyone with the BRZ complain about compliance or road manners, but there are a few out there for 86. Even then, it's only in very specific conditions that I experience this, but the problem is, I don't know what kind of roads we'll be dealing with on the way up to Traverse City, other than the shitty Michigan variety.
Michigan roads are absolute garbage, but there's very little concrete outside of cities. You'd hit concrete around Grand Rapids, but that's probably about it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:27 am Michigan roads are absolute garbage, but there's very little concrete outside of cities. You'd hit concrete around Grand Rapids, but that's probably about it.
Thanks, that's helpful. :like:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

OUCH :(

RIP 992 GT3

Apparently some retard in a truck decided to cross the double yellow for an opposite lane pull-off in a blind corner. They're lucky they were a few feet from getting yeeted off the fucking mountain too.

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:46 pm OUCH :(

RIP 992 GT3

Apparently some retard in a truck decided to cross the double yellow for an opposite lane pull-off in a blind corner. They're lucky they were a few feet from getting yeeted off the fucking mountain too.

Don't want to watch a 30 min video about a 5 second crash. Was he speeding? Why is front right crashed even though truck was coming from left... ?
max225

This is the new whorange.