Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Post whoring
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:35 am
:hibachi:
:sass:

Is that whorange? :megusta:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:08 am

In THE color. While not my personal favorite on that car it's the one I think about when I hear MS Miata

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:31 am

Is that whorange? :megusta:
yes. one of 396 minus any others that have been killed.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:bruh: what are the deets ? Does it run? Where did you get it ? How did you get it? Who was the previous owner ? Miles ? I gotta add you to the list
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:11 am :bruh: what are the deets ? Does it run? Where did you get it ? How did you get it? Who was the previous owner ? Miles ? I gotta add you to the list
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:11 am :bruh: what are the deets ? Does it run? Where did you get it ? How did you get it? Who was the previous owner ? Miles ? I gotta add you to the list
I'm not good writin wordz like Chris. :realfax:

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Don't want to jinx things, but, sister and BIL bought his dad's 2015 Audi Allroad off of him a few years back and they're starting to look at replacing it. He sold it to them for $1k, and gave them the greenlight to sell it when they're done with it even with that wild discount, and they said they'd sell it to me for "cheap".. We'll see what cheap looks like when/if that time actually comes, but I've always wanted an Allroad and know this one has been well cared for and has super low miles :excited:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Autozone asked me to review my Shell Rotella T purchase
Title: This is the Lords oil.
The savior himself made sure to magic this literal elixir of the gods into the minds of our good friends at Shell, all part of his masterplan including placing fake dino bones in the hillsides and putting dino juice in the ground *for reasons* 5000 years ago (estimated).
Car burning oil? Probably wont with this.
Making noise? bet it will be quieter.
Cant afford oil changes? Just add this as needed.
Jesus.jpg
Yes I would recommend this product to a friend.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:28 am Don't want to jinx things, but, sister and BIL bought his dad's 2015 Audi Allroad off of him a few years back and they're starting to look at replacing it. He sold it to them for $1k, and gave them the greenlight to sell it when they're done with it even with that wild discount, and they said they'd sell it to me for "cheap".. We'll see what cheap looks like when/if that time actually comes, but I've always wanted an Allroad and know this one has been well cared for and has super low miles :excited:
That would be a great car. The B8.5 didn't get Carplay or AA but there are ways to get it of you care. Everything else would be very enjoyable for you I'd think. That would make two on DFD in the PNW
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:50 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:28 am Don't want to jinx things, but, sister and BIL bought his dad's 2015 Audi Allroad off of him a few years back and they're starting to look at replacing it. He sold it to them for $1k, and gave them the greenlight to sell it when they're done with it even with that wild discount, and they said they'd sell it to me for "cheap".. We'll see what cheap looks like when/if that time actually comes, but I've always wanted an Allroad and know this one has been well cared for and has super low miles :excited:
That would be a great car. The B8.5 didn't get Carplay or AA but there are ways to get it of you care. Everything else would be very enjoyable for you I'd think. That would make two on DFD in the PNW
Would definitely have to do a :meat: up with Haley with them at some point. Need to meet up with her in general at some point since I still haven't done that since being up here.

The old wheels I put on my MKVI are still chilling in my parent's garage in Lancaster.. would be cool to swap those over to this if the fitment works.
max225

I don’t want to be too critical here but you have to bear in mind that this is already 8 model years old and you’re getting something that will require annual repairs and pricy maintenance. Just a word of caution … it’s not about the price of entry with old German cars but about the price of upkeep
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:35 pm
I don’t want to be too critical here but you have to bear in mind that this is already 8 model years old and you’re getting something that will require annual repairs and pricy maintenance. Just a word of caution … it’s not about the price of entry with old German cars but about the price of upkeep
Very valid point indeed, and not something I'd really considered. I'll have to ask them what maintenance has been looking like and if any big ticket items have been needed and done. I've just been itching to get out of the Elantra and into something more "me", so when this was brought up the other day it seemed like a no-brainer.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:41 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:35 pm
Very valid point indeed, and not something I'd really considered. I'll have to ask them what maintenance has been looking like and if any big ticket items have been needed and done. I've just been itching to get out of the Elantra and into something more "me", so when this was brought up the other day it seemed like a no-brainer.
If it’s a low mile unit they will likely tell you “it needed nothing but oil changes”

But you may be stuck with pricy tires, brake jobs and trans oil changes within 20-40k miles after say 50k at which you get the car
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:44 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:41 pm

If it’s a low mile unit they will likely tell you “it needed nothing but oil changes”

But you may be stuck with pricy tires, brake jobs and trans oil changes within 20-40k miles after say 50k at which you get the car
:word: While I don't have a true garage to do work myself out of right now, we're hoping to buy next year.. any idea if these are as easy to work on as the MKVI's were? I did all my own maintenance on that and never minded spending the time on it.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:55 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:44 pm

:word: While I don't have a true garage to do work myself out of right now, we're hoping to buy next year.. any idea if these are as easy to work on as the MKVI's were? I did all my own maintenance on that and never minded spending the time on it.
Having worked on a Q5 yea it’s fairly similar… some things are a bit more complex but it’s overall a VAG
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:ohdang: :popcorn:
Fingers crossed!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:55 pm

Having worked on a Q5 yea it’s fairly similar… some things are a bit more complex but it’s overall a VAG
:nice: I'll need to do some reading on that TFSI engine, but I imagine it's not too far removed from the TSI in the :mk6:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:27 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:00 pm

:nice: I'll need to do some reading on that TFSI engine, but I imagine it's not too far removed from the TSI in the :mk6:
I believe in the audi it is properly mounted and not transverse... So it's easy enough. I did plugs on these and they are easy... Also I think they are due around 40-60k miles as well... But as mentioned easy... I think by 15 most main issues have been resolved...
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:34 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:27 pm

I believe in the audi it is properly mounted and not transverse... So it's easy enough. I did plugs on these and they are easy... Also I think they are due around 40-60k miles as well... But as mentioned easy... I think by 15 most main issues have been resolved...
Thanks! Definitely gives me some peace of mind if this does happen.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

ok since imma about to check out for the weekend I'll stahp the :hibachi:

2005 'barn find' MSM. might be on original tires. I'll be 4th owner but 1st owner passed and title transferred to daughter, daughter let sit, the guy i got from changed fluids got it running well, was going to fix up with son and son has no interest so he's selling. Its the preverbal little old lady car. 1 minor hit on the :fax: looks repaired correct nothing structural. Comes with BOTH keys, all original paperwork, and the window sticker.
Pros:
41.5k miles
Top seems good other than rear glass has fallen out
Car is CLEAN.
Came with minty new tires to mount

Cons:
Glass in top is out, will need to look into fix or replace top.
I have to get the tires mounted
pretty significant dent right above drivers door handle. Its ok. couple other minor dings for 18 year old car.
I'm sure I'll find some leaks due to sitting so long.
She was a smoker (RIP Margaret) so some of that lingers.
battery is weak, got it sitting on tender to see if that helps, but 100 dollar question.
A fog light needs to be replaced.

Guys... I paid $11,500 for this. :excited: these go...for way more, esp in this color. 1 of 396. Its like almost a legit collector car.
:nice: hope it works out! for all the shit we have the :mk6: the TSI is a solid engine.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:47 pm

2005 'barn find' MSM. might be on original tires. I'll be 4th owner but 1st owner passed and title transferred to daughter, daughter let sit, the guy i got from changed fluids got it running well, was going to fix up with son and son has no interest so he's selling. Its the preverbal little old lady car. 1 minor hit on the :fax: looks repaired correct nothing structural. Comes with BOTH keys, all original paperwork, and the window sticker.
Pros:
41.5k miles
Car is CLEAN.

Cons:
pretty significant dent right above drivers door handle. Its ok. couple other minor dings for 18 year old car.
battery is weak, got it sitting on tender to see if that helps, but 100 dollar question.

Guys... I paid $11,500 for this. :excited: these go...for way more, esp in this color. 1 of 396. Its like almost a legit collector car.
:nice: hope it works out! for all the shit we have the :mk6: the TSI is a solid engine.
Not really feeling the pain on your cons.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Pros:
41.5k miles
Car is CLEAN.

Cons:

Nice find dude! Seems perfect for you.

I loved my MKVI. If it weren’t for the ECM needing to be replaced I would have held onto it for at least a few more years. Getting into this will be a nice maturation from that.
ChrisoftheNorth

Pros:
41.5k miles
Car is CLEAN.

Cons:

This is :fuckyeah: dude! Nice.
max225

Pros:
41.5k miles
Car is CLEAN.

Cons:

:amazing:
Whoa… that’s actually the best :dill: of 2022. I’ll let others chime in but that’s epic… I would bring it back to oem spec and enjoy a little every year and either keep forever or flip for a profit!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.