Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

All the journos and YouTubers are out driving the GR Corolla. Looks like embargo lifts 9/14.

:excited: for more unobtanium.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:34 pm All the journos and YouTubers are out driving the GR Corolla. Looks like embargo lifts 9/14.

:gtfo: with that car talk. This is now the real estate thread.

:trollface:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: X5, Bison

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:34 pm All the journos and YouTubers are out driving the GR Corolla. Looks like embargo lifts 9/14.

:excited: but also :whocares: since you won't be able to buy one.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:flaccid:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:50 pm :flaccid:

:sissyfight:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yay dyson
ChrisoftheNorth

There aren't many turbo cars that sound good revving in neutral. It's under load where the :megusta: comes out from my experience. The launch sound was promising...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:05 pm

There aren't many turbo cars that sound good revving in neutral. It's under load where the :megusta: comes out from my experience. The launch sound was promising...
I miss my subaru
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

That's disappointing.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Did you guys expect to hear a Daytona 675 out of this thing?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I’m sure aftermarket exhausts will make it sound better. I’m more interested in how it drives and how the AWD system acquits itself.

Doesn’t matter though. I’ll never actually be able to obtain one.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:05 pm
I miss my subaru
:dat:

I would take this over a STi 0/7 times.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:48 am Did you guys expect to hear a Daytona 675 out of this thing?
:lolol: I don't really get the hype on three cylinders, every one I've used has been pretty shit.

I really do like the idea of this thing but it's sort of like a new Ferrari launch or something to me at this point, I don't give a shit because I'll literally never be able to afford one of these.

Weird that a Corolla is completely out of reach for a pretty solidly middle class dude, but this is 2022.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:26 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:48 am Did you guys expect to hear a Daytona 675 out of this thing?
:lolol: I don't really get the hype on three cylinders, every one I've used has been pretty shit.

I really do like the idea of this thing but it's sort of like a new Ferrari launch or something to me at this point, I don't give a shit because I'll literally never be able to afford one of these.

Weird that a Corolla is completely out of reach for a pretty solidly middle class dude, but this is 2022.
Yea, when my :dillerman: admitted that there's no point in me getting excited for a car within the next few years, I just gave up and a freaking Corolla became a Lambo. That's the world we live in now, I'll just ride my homeless truck from now on, I like the simplicity better anyway.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I don't think it's production numbers either. All the blame falls on the :dillerman:

See Nissan dealers are already charging $100k+ for the new Z. I bet they can get you financing for it!!
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:26 am

Yea, when my :dillerman: admitted that there's no point in me getting excited for a car within the next few years, I just gave up and a freaking Corolla became a Lambo. That's the world we live in now, I'll just ride my homeless truck from now on, I like the simplicity better anyway.
I think the issue is not $ but production numbers. Toyota decided to cap production at such low levels that it makes it an unattainable proposition.

I frankly blame the Nike “drop” model. That is designed to drive artificial demand by creating artificial scarcity. It’s all the C level conversational rage these days, they fucking love that shit.

Can we talk about how Ford thought they were going to sell 75k mustangs in the first year but once they saw the order volume they ramped up to 600k units ? Yea… “cars were simpler back then” bullshit oems just knew what they were doing and were ready for this type of manufacturing. This latest just in time mess and the above mess is why we are where we are. :wap:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:15 am I don't think it's production numbers either. All the blame falls on the :dillerman:

See Nissan dealers are already charging $100k+ for the new Z. I bet they can get you financing for it!!
The new Z is a joke, it’s nothing but a reskinned 370z with the Q60 redline motor. I would much rather 370z than that… :disgust: no one in their right mind will pay 100k plus for one… but surely there will be a few that purchased a FJ cruiser for 103k that may … but that’s it
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Paging max

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:09 pm Paging max

Yea I priced out a Bronco raptor and it came up at 74k. I don't see how anyone can lose at sticker for these... but they are likely not available period...

That said... I don't know what I'd do with it.. its kind of awesome to run around in for sure... but it must suck due to mpg/gas tank on longer trips... 14mpg means 200 mile rest stops... which is :disgust: to me in a long hauler.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:13 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:09 pm Paging max

Yea I priced out a Bronco raptor and it came up at 74k. I don't see how anyone can lose at sticker for these... but they are likely not available period...

That said... I don't know what I'd do with it.. its kind of awesome to run around in for sure... but it must suck due to mpg/gas tank on longer trips... 14mpg means 200 mile rest stops... which is :disgust: to me in a long hauler.
The one pictured probably will when his car gets keyed for parking like a douche.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:50 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:15 am I don't think it's production numbers either. All the blame falls on the :dillerman:

The new Z is a joke, it’s nothing but a reskinned 370z with the Q60 redline motor. I would much rather 370z than that… :disgust: no one in their right mind will pay 100k plus for one… but surely there will be a few that purchased a FJ cruiser for 103k that may … but that’s it
Yeah... I like the car but even at $50K it gets kinda :notsure: based on reviews and stuff. If the base at low 40s had an LSD I think it would be worth it. $100K is a hard no. Especially when you look at the depreciation history, Z cars depreciate like crazy.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:48 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 am
I think the issue is not $ but production numbers. Toyota decided to cap production at such low levels that it makes it an unattainable proposition.

I frankly blame the Nike “drop” model. That is designed to drive artificial demand by creating artificial scarcity. It’s all the C level conversational rage these days, they fucking love that shit.

Can we talk about how Ford thought they were going to sell 75k mustangs in the first year but once they saw the order volume they ramped up to 600k units ? Yea… “cars were simpler back then” bullshit oems just knew what they were doing and were ready for this type of manufacturing. This latest just in time mess and the above mess is why we are where we are. :wap:
BRO the fucking Nike drop. My friend is talking about selling his :manuel: 992 to help pay for the wedding ring yet buys 2 pairs a week from SNKRS
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:40 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:48 am

BRO the fucking Nike drop. My friend is talking about selling his :manuel: 992 to help pay for the wedding ring yet buys 2 pairs a week from SNKRS
That's why I brought it up... there is nothing special about having a sweatshop make 100 pairs of one shoe vs 100 pairs of another other than mArkEtInG. And the :derp: 's are fanning the flames. Same goes for the swatch moon watch.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Preying on the fomo
max225

I also feel like this whole scarcity model is a self feeding beast... create something that is way below market demand. (Toyota isn't fucking dumb) they know they can likely sell 30k units of these... but they picked 5k global #... there is NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THIS CAR... it shares parts somewhere in the toyota lineup... they can EASILY RAMP UP... but no... they picked 5k... because they know that
5K are willing to pay 10-40k over
10k are willing to pay 5k over
15k are willing to pay sticker.

Why cater to the last bucket and set the production to actual demand... Asinine. I hate it here.