Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 pm

Civic sport now has the 2.slow I think. Which is about the same as this power wise. Then you have the Honda “dealer experience” *shudder* as well.

I’m just surprised at the used market for something as basic and readily available as a Corolla.
Yea I’m not sure if you followed all the shitposting I did in my thread. But cheap cars are just not around anymore and civic si is even dumber …. Not exactly a rare bird either. The two my dealer got back in
July still haven’t sold. 41otd on a 27k msrp baby
Yeah that’s because Honda dealers are the absolute worst places to set foot in. Nuclear garbage. While there are plenty of Toyota dealers in the area that will sell new at MSRP. I just don’t have any idea why used ‘rollas are more than new when there are plenty of new ones available.

Yeah civic si 10k markup lets gooooooo. That car makes no sense at that price.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

https://www.thedrive.com/news/californi ... 035-report

Yall have fun with that. Max's used car futures game just skyrocketed. Where is all this electricity in the brownout capital of the 1st world going to come from I wonder? Certainly not from diablo canyon 1&2.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:28 pm https://www.thedrive.com/news/californi ... 035-report

Yall have fun with that. Max's used car futures game just skyrocketed. Where is all this electricity in the brownout capital of the 1st world going to come from I wonder? Certainly not from diablo canyon 1&2.
I generated 9.3 megawatts so far this year. I can handle a house and 2 Evs …. We have an insane amount of solar coming up in this state… but… most charge at night 😐
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:23 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:28 pm https://www.thedrive.com/news/californi ... 035-report

I generated 9.3 megawatts so far this year. I can handle a house and 2 Evs …. We have an insane amount of solar coming up in this state… but… most charge at night 😐
exactly. so now you need 2x the battery capacity at ~20k a pop for just the car. Not to mention dc-dc charging losses. If forced to go dc-ac-dc is disastrouss and you need something like 1.5x what you use in the cars.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:34 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:23 pm

exactly. so now you need 2x the battery capacity at ~20k a pop for just the car. Not to mention dc-dc charging losses. If forced to go dc-ac-dc is disastrouss and you need something like 1.5x what you use in the cars.
Or charge from 11-5pm.

The ideal solution is an F150 that has a whopping 130kw battery that can act as a two way house battery. But they haven’t fully enabled that yet. It’s the ultimate solution. My house battery is 13.5kw
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:40 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Or charge from 11-5pm.

The ideal solution is an F150 that has a whopping 130kw battery that can act as a two way house battery. But they haven’t fully enabled that yet. It’s the ultimate solution. My house battery is 13.5kw
unless your employer had charging that is not practical. and in my experience the public chargers are 10x more expensive than home charging. So without that infrastructure at employers that keep the cost similar to home charging this is a non-starter as a solution.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:54 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:40 pm

Or charge from 11-5pm.

unless your employer had charging that is not practical. and in my experience the public chargers are 10x more expensive than home charging. So without that infrastructure at employers that keep the cost similar to home charging this is a non-starter as a solution.
Here it’s about 25-50 cents for public and about 20 cents for at home.

Many chargers are free, but generally capped at 5-8kw/h which isn’t great. I’d say about 7/10 major employers offer free charging. But none of us are going to the office either … we have the lowest back to office rates in the nation.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:57 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:54 pm

Many chargers are free, but generally capped at 5-8kw/h which isn’t great. I’d say about 7/10 major employers offer free charging. But none of us are going to the office either … we have the lowest back to office rates in the nation.
12-13 cents at home and its 4 cent a minute at my rate of 3,2kw, works out to $1.20 per kwhr. Tennessee charges by time :wtf: so if you can do 7kw, which is what most of the chargers can output, that a little more than half what I pay and more in line with what it is by you.

FWIW, the breakeven with gas at public chargers for me is about 2 bucks a gallon.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:06 am
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:57 pm

12-13 cents at home and its 4 cent a minute at my rate of 3,2kw, works out to $1.20 per kwhr. Tennessee charges by time :wtf: so if you can do 7kw, which is what most of the chargers can output, that a little more than half what I pay and more in line with what it is by you.

FWIW, the breakeven with gas at public chargers for me is about 2 bucks a gallon.
Happy to compare notes on this as I :math: Ed it to death. Most people are too :derp: to understand this and just “fill up” their ev for “free” at home. Then bitch About $200 electricity costs.

That said the breakeven greatly depends on what you’re comparing it with, as the consumption of Evs greatly varies….

For ex
F150 L is 2miles per kw
Model X is 3.3 per kw
Model 3 is 3.8 per kw
I3 is like 4…

Also public charges “charge” you for energy “delivered” of which 15-20% once again depending on vehicle is lost… so you need to increase public charger cost by quite a bit. Usually you only get .8kw per 1 kw delivered. And that can get expensive.

And public chargers can have peak and off peak rates… peak tend to be 7-3pm when post people drive and 50% more than at home.

Overall I would never consider an ev unless I had at home or at work charging. It is a huge time waster otherwise. The general rule of thumb is 1 hr of fast charging for 3 hrs of driving :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

And I still don't see how EVs will work on trips right now. You'll be tied to a charging network, wherever that is and at mercy of charger condition in whatever location. We stopped for gas in BFE South Dakota, and I noticed a few Charge point chargers installed at the truck stop we were at. :neat: I thought to see them in BFE. I went on a little walk to stretch my legs and upon closer inspection, one was missing the charge cable entirely, and the other one had a flashing screen that looked like it was in some constant boot loop condition. Neither looked to be operable.

How epic to be on a grand adventure through BFE following the charge point network, just to get to the charging destination you've been waiting for to find that it's out of commission. WTF do you do if your charge is depleted? There certainly aren't more options.

I know this is a temporary issue and more EVs will mean more charging that's more reliable, but there's still a lot of progress to go in this regard. Banning gas vehicle sales will help I guess, but the interim is going to be painful. Even then, these areas will resist with every fiber of their being, so it's going to be :popcorn: over the next decade or so.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:19 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:06 am

Happy to compare notes on this as I :math: Ed it to death. Most people are too :derp: to understand this and just “fill up” their ev for “free” at home. Then bitch About $200 electricity costs.

That said the breakeven greatly depends on what you’re comparing it with, as the consumption of Evs greatly varies….

For ex
F150 L is 2miles per kw
Model X is 3.3 per kw
Model 3 is 3.8 per kw
I3 is like 4…

Also public charges “charge” you for energy “delivered” of which 15-20% once again depending on vehicle is lost… so you need to increase public charger cost by quite a bit. Usually you only get .8kw per 1 kw delivered. And that can get expensive.

And public chargers can have peak and off peak rates… peak tend to be 7-3pm when post people drive and 50% more than at home.

Overall I would never consider an ev unless I had at home or at work charging. It is a huge time waster otherwise. The general rule of thumb is 1 hr of fast charging for 3 hrs of driving :disgust:
Breakeven is super easy to do on the volt because you directly know its fuel MPG :lol: I did calc my typical miles per kw on an average commute, I forget what it was. Last trip i have data for just to work was 3.8 miles per KW, but i think going home is a little more 'uphill' so i use a tad more.
max225

3.3-3.8miles per kw is spot on for a volt. The crazy part is this you can drive an anemic volt at that consumption or a 1000hp model x. This doesn’t exist in the ICE world.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:54 pm 3.3-3.8miles per kw is spot on for a volt. The crazy part is this you can drive an anemic volt at that consumption or a 1000hp model x. This doesn’t exist in the ICE world.
It kinda does though, Corvettes get the same mileage as a POS natty four cyl Rage4.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:39 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:54 pm 3.3-3.8miles per kw is spot on for a volt. The crazy part is this you can drive an anemic volt at that consumption or a 1000hp model x. This doesn’t exist in the ICE world.
It kinda does though, Corvettes get the same mileage as a POS natty four cyl Rage4.
No they do not. I'd like to see a 1000hp 6000lb vehicle get the same mpg as a 3500lb 250hp vehicle...
The only thing that comes close is Miata/BRZ and C7 and that's not really a fair comparison because while the freeway mpg is epic in the corvette the city mileage is like 1/3.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

What's your opinion on this one Max?

Seems pretty clean. Guy who owns it got it in March as payment for providing flights to the original owner. So basically 1 owner since 2004. New guy put new CV boots and 2 new Toyota axels on it. He says the manifold is good. There is no rust underneath and it was coated at some point.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:50 pm What's your opinion on this one Max?

Seems pretty clean. Guy who owns it got it in March as payment for providing flights to the original owner. So basically 1 owner since 2004. New guy put new CV boots and 2 new Toyota axels on it. He says the manifold is good. There is no rust underneath and it was coated at some point.

Do y’all have rust ? And is it a local car ? Rust belt to be avoided at all costs. Timing belt change would be good too, when was it last done ?

Other than that it looks to be a decent shape.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:56 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:50 pm What's your opinion on this one Max?

Do y’all have rust ? And is it a local car ? Rust belt to be avoided at all costs. Timing belt change would be good too, when was it last done ?

Other than that it looks to be a decent shape.
I'm flying to KY to pick it up. Not in the rust belt.

This photo is pretty indictive of the half dozen other pics I've see

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Timing belt is an unknown.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:08 pm Timing belt is an unknown.
It’s not a terrible thing to change on that engine and they tend to last far beyond the 90k interval unlike Audis. But if it was never done I’d recommend it.

Also make sure the underside isn’t just sprayed black over the rust I have seen that before. Hard to tell from pics.

Rust is truly the main killer of these
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:13 pm Image
Disregard last statement this looks good
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:13 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:08 pm Timing belt is an unknown.
It’s not a terrible thing to change on that engine and they tend to last far beyond the 90k interval unlike Audis. But if it was never done I’d recommend it.

Also make sure the underside isn’t just sprayed black over the rust I have seen that before. Hard to tell from pics.

Rust is truly the main killer of these
Going to do that and replace the sway bar bushings first thing
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm

Yea I’m not sure if you followed all the shitposting I did in my thread. But cheap cars are just not around anymore and civic si is even dumber …. Not exactly a rare bird either. The two my dealer got back in
July still haven’t sold. 41otd on a 27k msrp baby
Yeah that’s because Honda dealers are the absolute worst places to set foot in. Nuclear garbage. While there are plenty of Toyota dealers in the area that will sell new at MSRP. I just don’t have any idea why used ‘rollas are more than new when there are plenty of new ones available.

Yeah civic si 10k markup lets gooooooo. That car makes no sense at that price.
Their service program is strange, like they dont even put the next oil change sticker on the windshield too. Theres like codes and what not. You know once that car gets to its 2nd or 3rd owner those maintenance codes will pop up and the :manuel: cousin jose probably couldn't reset Those and it will become irritating. I also noticed some build quality blemishes that I will eventually post on my thread. I feel like honda is going to a worse direction build quality wise.

The emergency braking assist just randomly alerts when theres no car in sight, just when im approaching an incline, :bruh: my dad explorer did not become like that until after its few years old where it became extra sensitive
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.