Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:33 am E350 Talk. Gasoline vapor coming from car after fill up. :thisisfine:
Prob something faulty with the charcoal canister. :whocares:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:16 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:33 am E350 Talk. Gasoline vapor coming from car after fill up. :thisisfine:
Prob something faulty with the charcoal canister. :whocares:
It has dissipated after minimal driving so it's not on the priority list.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021 ... w-verdict/

Man, auto reviewers all seem to have massive boners for anything made by Honda. In this long term close out of an Odyssey minivan, MT admits they had to spend $417 out of pocket to repair a “cross threaded” lug nut, and then omitted that from the cost of service calc at the end saying it was cheaper to own than the other two minivans they’ve had recently.

But a lug nut being gunned on by Thor’s hammer at your local friendly Honda dealer (who they praised numerous times yet they 100% caused this) is a situation that many could experience, and something that should be flagged. If that’s the friendly dealer service you get… maybe that’s not such a great thing?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:04 pm https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021 ... w-verdict/

Man, auto reviewers all seem to have massive boners for anything made by Honda. In this long term close out of an Odyssey minivan, MT admits they had to spend $417 out of pocket to repair a “cross threaded” lug nut, and then omitted that from the cost of service calc at the end saying it was cheaper to own than the other two minivans they’ve had recently.

But a lug nut being gunned on by Thor’s hammer at your local friendly Honda dealer (who they praised numerous times yet they 100% caused this) is a situation that many could experience, and something that should be flagged. If that’s the friendly dealer service you get… maybe that’s not such a great thing?
Is cost of service an accurate gauge for something with 18k miles ? It needs what 1 oil change ?

Toyota has 2 years or 20k maintenance “free” so I guess it would win by default.

The real fun starts when you actually have to change brakes/flush fluids/replace actual parts not while the b2b warranty is in place
max225

Weekly car market update... down another 1%... the 1% a week drop continues in the used market. Which is pretty wild...

Desertbreh

For the LOLZ I went to check Cadillac CT4V and CT5V availability and pricing. autotrader showed exactly TWO available :manuel: CT4Vs......none of which had sat long enough to have actual pictures but were at MSRP. CT5V manuals were more plentiful, but mostly marked up AF still. Also those cars vary wildly in MSRP based on options, from $85K to $115. That car is worth $90K to me. It is NOT worth $115K. I don't think I really care about this kind of shit enough to pay for it anymore. So I'll keep driving around in SS Titanic, 5 year old bimmer, and 16 yoa drop a bumper to jury rig an aftermarket light kit Euro taxi.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:30 pm For the LOLZ I went to check Cadillac CT4V and CT5V availability and pricing. autotrader showed exactly TWO available :manuel: CT4Vs......none of which had sat long enough to have actual pictures but were at MSRP. CT5V manuals were more plentiful, but mostly marked up AF still. Also those cars vary wildly in MSRP based on options, from $85K to $115. That car is worth $90K to me. It is NOT worth $115K. I don't think I really care about this kind of shit enough to pay for it anymore. So I'll keep driving around in SS Titanic, 5 year old bimmer, and 16 yoa drop a bumper to jury rig an aftermarket light kit Euro taxi.
I think you can option like $25k+ in CF and carbon brakes. The only option I would get is the cold weather pack or whatever gets you vented and massaging seats, which I believe is less than 5 SMP
max225

SMP the old gold standard :member: :amazing:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:29 pm SMP the old gold standard :member: :amazing:
:amazing:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

I kind of like the Corolla hatch manual. Comes with auto rev matching, looks cool, supposedly rides really smooth, and 168 or whatever HP should be more than enough to move about. All while getting 35 mpg average. Being curious as I am, I looked them up used.

The used Corolla market is fucking broken guys. Used Corollas are still going way over new MSRP. Can anyone explain why this is? Is it something to do with new car loans vs used? A new car supply issue? There doesn’t seem to be a lack of new corollas available.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:34 pm I kind of like the Corolla hatch manual. Comes with auto rev matching, looks cool, supposedly rides really smooth, and 168 or whatever HP should be more than enough to move about. All while getting 35 mpg average. Being curious as I am, I looked them up used.

The used Corolla market is fucking broken guys. Used Corollas are still going way over new MSRP. Can anyone explain why this is? Is it something to do with new car loans vs used? A new car supply issue? There doesn’t seem to be a lack of new corollas available.
Have you priced a used civic yet ?! They are 5-10k above sticker. New is 7-10k over. It’s the new normal … the dumb hordes got convinced that this is normal and are willing to pay 40k otd for a shit box.

That said the Corolla is too small…. It’s good as a 2 seater but it doesn’t really have decent space for 4 people. Civic does.

Civic sport at 25k is also a decent :dill: except till you hit the markup.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:34 pm I kind of like the Corolla hatch manual. Comes with auto rev matching, looks cool, supposedly rides really smooth, and 168 or whatever HP should be more than enough to move about. All while getting 35 mpg average. Being curious as I am, I looked them up used.

Have you priced a used civic yet ?! They are 5-10k above sticker. New is 7-10k over. It’s the new normal … the dumb hordes got convinced that this is normal and are willing to pay 40k otd for a shit box.

That said the Corolla is too small…. It’s good as a 2 seater but it doesn’t really have decent space for 4 people. Civic does.

Civic sport now has the 2.slow I think. Which is about the same as this power wise. Then you have the Honda “dealer experience” *shudder* as well.

I’m just surprised at the used market for something as basic and readily available as a Corolla.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:30 pm For the LOLZ I went to check Cadillac CT4V and CT5V availability and pricing. autotrader showed exactly TWO available :manuel: CT4Vs......none of which had sat long enough to have actual pictures but were at MSRP. CT5V manuals were more plentiful, but mostly marked up AF still. Also those cars vary wildly in MSRP based on options, from $85K to $115. That car is worth $90K to me. It is NOT worth $115K. I don't think I really care about this kind of shit enough to pay for it anymore. So I'll keep driving around in SS Titanic, 5 year old bimmer, and 16 yoa drop a bumper to jury rig an aftermarket light kit Euro taxi.
Is the expression not “jerry rig”?
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:54 pm
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ge-history

I think you can go either way.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:54 pm

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ge-history

I think you can go either way.
Interesting.. never knew that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've always liked them and looked at them last year when I dumped the Corvette, but my BMW for like $10K less made a lot more sense. Everything is gold these days.

Wait a few months and new ones will probably have cashola on the hood.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:48 pm

Civic sport now has the 2.slow I think. Which is about the same as this power wise. Then you have the Honda “dealer experience” *shudder* as well.

I’m just surprised at the used market for something as basic and readily available as a Corolla.
Yea I’m not sure if you followed all the shitposting I did in my thread. But cheap cars are just not around anymore and civic si is even dumber …. Not exactly a rare bird either. The two my dealer got back in
July still haven’t sold. 41otd on a 27k msrp baby
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

FWIW the Corolla hatch is TINY behind the front seats.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Something I forgot to post about the other day, buy my mom finally pulled the trigger to trade her Explorer and Vette in on a brand new Tahoe High Country. One with everything she wanted popped up on a lot 5 minutes from my house, in White instead of Blue, at a price she was willing to pay, so she went for a look and test drive. Selling points were that it was a custom order that the buyer refused because it was missing the chips for 2 specific features (4 way lumbar support and some traffic nanny) and he refused it because it didn't have EVERYTHING he ordered at time of delivery. Keep in mind, this is something that, once the chips are available, the dealer can add them (or the module I guess) without issue since the car is supposed to have it.

It has the power folding steps, which she needs at 5'1" and has the GM performance exhaust bolted to the 6.2 v8 so it still makes grumbling noises for her. And, it's got the brown leather, which she fell more in love with upon seeing it. She's taken the thing on 2 road trips already in 3 weeks of ownership, lol. She said she should've done it sooner instead of continuing to push it off for the last year.
max225

So what was the trade in offer … car deets that were traded and how much was the Tahoe ? Under sticker?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:12 am So what was the trade in offer … car deets that were traded and how much was the Tahoe ? Under sticker?
I stayed out of the deets, as it's not my business. I have a rough idea on trade-in for the Vette, and what she paid OTD for the Tahoe. MSRP on it was $84K, no markup since it was a custom order.

Trade on the Vette was around $42k, Explorer was probably around $15k (it was paid off I believe anyway) and I think her OTD for the Tahoe was somewhere from $50-$58K. Again, I wasn't there for it and haven't asked, cause it's none of my business. The dealer she bought it from though is where I've bought my last 3 cars, and they're fair on trade-ins and OTD pricing, with minimal markup on products that aren't Vettes or V/Blacking series Cadillacs.
max225

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:33 am
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:12 am So what was the trade in offer … car deets that were traded and how much was the Tahoe ? Under sticker?
I stayed out of the deets, as it's not my business. I have a rough idea on trade-in for the Vette, and what she paid OTD for the Tahoe. MSRP on it was $84K, no markup since it was a custom order.

Trade on the Vette was around $42k, Explorer was probably around $15k (it was paid off I believe anyway) and I think her OTD for the Tahoe was somewhere from $50-$58K. Again, I wasn't there for it and haven't asked, cause it's none of my business. The dealer she bought it from though is where I've bought my last 3 cars, and they're fair on trade-ins and OTD pricing, with minimal markup on products that aren't Vettes or V/Blacking series Cadillacs.
Seems reasonable enough. Sometimes they mark
Up custom orders that people walk on because reasons. 1 car is an easier prop for older folks than 2 for sure.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:42 am
Devilchrono wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:33 am

Up custom orders that people walk on because reasons. 1 car is an easier prop for older folks than 2 for sure.
She never drove the Vette, put 32xx miles on it in 3 years. Working from home made it even worse. She would forget to put a charger on it and it went through 2 batteries and the control module for the top had to be replaced before she traded it in because it was broke from lack of use according to the tech; a couple spots on the board broke at the solder points because they 'dry rotted' because it never got used. She is MUCH happier with the one car situation and loves being so high up and still having some power, along with all the interior space for her German Shepards.
max225

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:50 am
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:42 am
She never drove the Vette, put 32xx miles on it in 3 years. Working from home made it even worse. She would forget to put a charger on it and it went through 2 batteries and the control module for the top had to be replaced before she traded it in because it was broke from lack of use according to the tech; a couple spots on the board broke at the solder points because they 'dry rotted' because it never got used. She is MUCH happier with the one car situation and loves being so high up and still having some power, along with all the interior space for her German Shepards.
Yea makes perfect sense.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:44 am

FWIW the Corolla hatch is TINY behind the front seats.
Not good for tiny humans. Hah. Funny how that works out.