Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:23 am
Tar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:58 pm

I want C7s to cost half of what they go for now. For some reason I don't believe they will come down that far until they're all used up 3rd owner revival projects. At current price points, they make Cayman and 997.1 911 worth a look.

Oh speaking of which,a dude on my kids soccer team owned a 997.1 and coincidentally also blew his engine just driving down to his wife's baby shower. 30k got a new engine and no warranty coverage for what he felt was a mfg defect.

First world upper middle class problems.
Came for car talk. Arrived at Fantasy Island.
:D

C7slikely won't be 25k anytime soon, but I'm not paying $50k for an 8 yr old base LT1 in a Fantasy Land market that even bumped my 18.5k C6 at the time of sale to it's currently posted perch of $28k (35CAD). This whole thing needs more time to shake itself out.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:15 pm

C7slikely won't be 25k anytime soon, but I'm not paying $50k for an 8 yr old base LT1 in a Fantasy Land market that even bumped my 18.5k C6 at the time of sale to it's currently posted perch of $28k (35CAD). This whole thing needs more time to shake itself out.
Everybody just needs to calm the fuck down and wait for the storm. It's coming.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Unfortunately, we need a damned recession so people start spending rationally again. These prices make absolutely zero sense, and only persist because there's so many people flush with cash tripping over themselves to pay double what a car's worth just to have it.

The correction is coming...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Everybody just needs to calm the fuck down and wait for the storm. It's coming.
Absolutely and E350s are a great place to roll in while peasants buy 50k rav 4s with paint protection on 72 months stretch pay to make a payment fit … because “I need to get to work”
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:51 pm

Unfortunately, we need a damned recession so people start spending rationally again. These prices make absolutely zero sense, and only persist because there's so many people flush with cash tripping over themselves to pay double what a car's worth just to have it.

I'm amazed that people are still flush with money, the COL has pivoted quite a bit when you consider inflationary pressures and the removal of stimmy checks... I got an assessment to tell me that I can keep the $2000 "CERB" check I received in March of 2020, by April I was working and told those creeps to stop sending my money, but some people enjoyed that service for the better part of two years. All of that is gone now, and some people are being asked to return the funds to the government. Bankers are calling the real estate low point to occur in the summer of 2023, so I'm guessing that toys will start popping off sooner like right after X-mas when people start getting their post Christmas credit card bills.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:51 pm

I'm amazed that people are still flush with money, the COL has pivoted quite a bit when you consider inflationary pressures and the removal of stimmy checks... I got an assessment to tell me that I can keep the $2000 "CERB" check I received in March of 2020, by April I was working and told those creeps to stop sending my money, but some people enjoyed that service for the better part of two years. All of that is gone now, and some people are being asked to return the funds to the government. Bankers are calling the real estate low point to occur in the summer of 2023, so I'm guessing that toys will start popping off sooner like right after X-mas when people start getting their post Christmas credit card bills.
I'm not sure many are flush with cash anymore, and I suspect we might be at the stage where sellers are still working on accepting the reality that you can't charge whatever you want and sell things instantly anymore. Things will sit, sellers will dig their heels in, and eventually lose their asses insisting on "I know what I have" "I know the market" etc.

In areas where toys are seasonal (like where you and I live) I suspect some deals to start this fall when people are forced to deal with storage costs and whatnot. Then by Q1 next year, reality will have set in entirely, especially as bills pile up from the holidays and sellers can't "afford" their $1k/mo 84mo loans anymore and buyers need to prioritize more rational spending of COL things.

The big question mark for the auto industry is new vehicle supply. It's still challenged, and if it remains that way, it'll prop up used prices quite a bit. I still think toys like Corvettes will start to fall, but normal vehicles might still be rather pricey.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:12 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:57 pm

I'm not sure many are flush with cash anymore, and I suspect we might be at the stage where sellers are still working on accepting the reality that you can't charge whatever you want and sell things instantly anymore. Things will sit, sellers will dig their heels in, and eventually lose their asses insisting on "I know what I have" "I know the market" etc.

In areas where toys are seasonal (like where you and I live) I suspect some deals to start this fall when people are forced to deal with storage costs and whatnot. Then by Q1 next year, reality will have set in entirely, especially as bills pile up from the holidays and sellers can't "afford" their $1k/mo 84mo loans anymore and buyers need to prioritize more rational spending of COL things.

The big question mark for the auto industry is new vehicle supply. It's still challenged, and if it remains that way, it'll prop up used prices quite a bit. I still think toys like Corvettes will start to fall, but normal vehicles might still be rather pricey.
I think :dat: 100% ... Hell, the S!5 Max was looking at is a perfect example close to home. They are just holding it when they had a real cash offer on the table.

I am in Tampa this week for work and noticed that :dillerman: lots are pretty well loaded up. it's funny, a year ago seeing the empty lots was so odd, now seeing them full is remarkable. I saw a Chevy dealer with three C8s out front, a Ferd place with a line of Broncos (like at least eight), and regular :dillerman: of bland CUVs seem to have about every spot on the lot full like days of old.

Hell, even in Maine last week those tiny dealers had stuff that's been backordered for a long time like Mustang Mach E and such.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:42 pm

I think :dat: 100% ... Hell, the S!5 Max was looking at is a perfect example close to home. They are just holding it when they had a real cash offer on the table.

I am in Tampa this week for work and noticed that :dillerman: lots are pretty well loaded up. it's funny, a year ago seeing the empty lots was so odd, now seeing them full is remarkable. I saw a Chevy dealer with three C8s out front, a Ferd place with a line of Broncos (like at least eight), and regular :dillerman: of bland CUVs seem to have about every spot on the lot full like days of old.

Hell, even in Maine last week those tiny dealers had stuff that's been backordered for a long time like Mustang Mach E and such.
Yea once they fulfill their sales funnel and things will start hitting the lot the market dynamics will drastically change. Currently at the small Fraud dealer I bought my e350 from, the sales bro told me he had 100 customer orders he was working on …

Btw they had 5 sales people … and the 1 hr I was there I was the singular customer. How is this profession still a thing. They were all sitting around shooting the shit with each other. Sales dude told me I was his only customer today :lolgasm:
max225

Btw the SQ5 is still at the dealer … and they reduced their “raised” price by $500 again. So now it back below the original ask of 55.7 or whatever to 55.2
max225

The 41k otd civic si is still at the honderp dealer and he keeps calling me 2x a week the fuck dude … such market so in demand much wow
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:14 pm The 41k otd civic si is still at the honderp dealer and he keeps calling me 2x a week the fuck dude … such market so in demand much wow
This is astonishing as you offered to buy at MSRP months ago... like dude, clearly you're :wrong: about the market commanding the ADM, so fuck off or offer it at MSRP.
ChrisoftheNorth

Interesting to hear about Maine. We're still decimated here, not a single dealer has much of anything on the lot and any I contact talk about ordering. I want to drive something first, but not an option.

Oddly, the Stellanus store has the most inventory. A bunch of Gladiators (Rubicons and Mojaves) sitting out front with some Wranglers and Wagoneers mixed in.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:06 pm

Interesting to hear about Maine. We're still decimated here, not a single dealer has much of anything on the lot and any I contact talk about ordering. I want to drive something first, but not an option.

Oddly, the Stellanus store has the most inventory. A bunch of Gladiators (Rubicons and Mojaves) sitting out front with some Wranglers and Wagoneers mixed in.
They seem to have the most nationwide actually. And apparently you can get 3-5k on the hood of a ram.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 pm

They seem to have the most nationwide actually. And apparently you can get 3-5k on the hood of a ram.
:ohdang:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:19 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 pm
:ohdang:
My local :Doge: dillerman has 305 vehicles in stock... :lol: WHAT SHORTAGE??!
26 Gladiators and 60 Ram 1500s

https://www.sanleandrocdjr.com/new-vehi ... =our_price

Wow it's actually around 7k on the hood and another $1-3k conditional on being a one legged gay pirate with 3 eyes.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:23 pm https://www.sanleandrocdjr.com/inventor ... 3nn128552/ almost 10k on the hood here...
And these prices are real? They'll actually knock $8k off or is this a bait and switch?
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:25 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:23 pm https://www.sanleandrocdjr.com/inventor ... 3nn128552/ almost 10k on the hood here...
And these prices are real? They'll actually knock $8k off or is this a bait and switch?
It's real... dude they have 305 cars and trucks in stock. I was following some national inventory headlines and FCA is actually at 60 days or something of that nature and Ram is selling with at least 3k of incentives. In cali its higher because we have expensive gas and Teslas are going for 70k used.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:25 pm
It's real... dude they have 305 cars and trucks in stock. I was following some national inventory headlines and FCA is actually at 60 days or something of that nature and Ram is selling with at least 3k of incentives. In cali its higher because we have expensive gas and Teslas are going for 70k used.
Oh, wow.

Stellanus went apeshit with pricing and now they have to pay for it. They love incentives, so business as usual for them. Deals WILL return even though everyone thinks they won't.

That Ram isn't remotely worth $70k. That's ridiculous. The discount gets it closer to reality, but still.

My main clients are Euro OEMs and they're still decimated. I work in incentive optimization and deal with dealers constantly whining about my product and how it'll never be needed again. Yeah, ok they'll be begging us for help in less than 6 mos.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:35 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:27 pm

Oh, wow.

Stellanus went apeshit with pricing and now they have to pay for it. They love incentives, so business as usual for them. Deals WILL return even though everyone thinks they won't.

That Ram isn't remotely worth $70k. That's ridiculous. The discount gets it closer to reality, but still.

My main clients are Euro OEMs and they're still decimated. I work in incentive optimization and deal with dealers constantly whining about my product and how it'll never be needed again. Yeah, ok they'll be begging us for help in less than 6 mos.
Euro trash is really mixed here. JLR is non existent. Audi is loaded, as is BMW/MB. I think the crypto ballers have dropped off and now they are sitting on inventory...

I still can't believe a local G63 i have been watching dropped 100k... now it is STILL way overpriced at 20k above sticker, but they were commanding insane premiums that are simply no longer there.

My local dealer also has 12 in stock.... I know what I have baby... Now that floor plans cost money... dealerships are going to be bleeding money HARD. By sitting on all this inventory.... something they haven't been used to in ages.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yep, I would actually think Maine is pretty similar to your market - somewhat rural but vacation home/remote work location for rich white people and then a bunch of poor OG locals all freezing their asses off nine months a year.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 pm

Yep, I would actually think Maine is pretty similar to your market - somewhat rural but vacation home/remote work location for rich white people and then a bunch of poor OG locals all freezing their asses off nine months a year.
Hmm I always thought that Maine was OG 'old money'. Just did some browsing and its cheap af
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/464- ... 9114_zpid/
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:00 pm

Hmm I always thought that Maine was OG 'old money'. Just did some browsing and its cheap af
Outside of Portland, if you are not a professional or a defense contractor or a fisherman with your shit together, there is no $$$$$$
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

That place is the middle of nowhere. The house I posted in the OT thread meanwhile is estimated at $1.5-2mil
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:02 pm

Outside of Portland, if you are not a professional or a defense contractor or a fisherman with your shit together, there is no $$$$$$
Yea even portland proper seems reasonable enough... This thing is about the same thing :mahtroy: paid in FLO-RIDA

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/49-E ... 4068_zpid/