OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

wap wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:47 pm Goo luck, :sawce: and Mrs. :sawce: on trying to make :baby: :sawce: s.
Thanks man! Short term it’s at least resulting in more frequent :dock: :jizz: so that’s nice at least :lol: She’s already getting disappointed every time her monthly special rolls around though, so hopefully with the fertility meds things happen quick and she can not have to deal with that emotional and physical pain combined every month.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:38 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:47 pm Goo luck, :sawce: and Mrs. :sawce: on trying to make :baby: :sawce: s.
Thanks man! Short term it’s at least resulting in more frequent :dock: :jizz: so that’s nice at least :lol: She’s already getting disappointed every time her monthly special rolls around though, so hopefully with the fertility meds things happen quick and she can not have to deal with that emotional and physical pain combined every month.
:hubba: :fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yeah man it’s a whole fuckin’ thing. Hopefully it resolves quickly for you.

We’ve been :aintcare: about it now for several months which has been nice but still no :baby:

:ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Solid use of emojis.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:11 pm

Yep, to your and Chris's point, I assume common sense which is probably dumb. A fire pit should be a fire pit, not an open fire on the ground next to a building.
Living in the woods, we have fires in the fire pit constantly...at least a few times a week, almost daily when we have guests visiting and want the "glamping" experience (everyone says our house feels like permanent glamping).

In doing so many fires, it's scary how unpredictable they can be...even in a steel fire pit. We have a cheap steel fire pit on our concrete patio off the concrete house with the nearest flammable object is easily 30+ feet away, so not much fire to worry about. But I'm always amazed how the right wind gust combined with the right wood and the right amount of heat can create insane flames. I've had 10 foot flames stoked by a dry strong wind gust before. Or an ember pops up and gets carried away by the wind and lands...still on fire...10-15 feet from the pit. That shit is scary, but imagine that being next to a 100 year old garage or house. Just because you don't intend on having a big fire, doesn't mean you won't have one. And people are morans most of the time, especially with firepits wanting that "nature" experience, so they push the pits back in the corner of their lots where the only things that will catch fire are neighbor's buildings. I saw it all the time in our previous neighborhoods, it's scary.

I hate most code rules, but this one I support. Fire is no joke.
Definitely very valid and certainly all of the wildfires, many of which started by human carelessness/dumb-assery are a testament to that.

Crazy thing is I’ve rarely seen fires do anything of the sort, mostly just because it’s really not windy here typically. Still, you could always get surprise gusts.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:39 pm Well, return to office just got real, I just got an invite that bagels will be served every Wednesday morning. The interesting thing is, how will the pre-COVID company veterans feel about being forced to go into the office when our more recently hired colleagues not local to the HQs won't have to.

:popcorn:

It looks like most people will be required to go in 2-4 days/week.

Interestingly I am totally exempt from this as outside/field sales. That said, I think I will actually start going, I am pretty tired of WFH and it's getting harder and harder to stay focused all day.
That dynamic is weird to me...the pre and post-COVID hires. I'm a post-COVID hire with "Remote" listed as my work location. There's a bunch of people that were hired before that aren't. Unless they want to pay relo, I'm not going into an office regularly because I can't...and I was hired as remote so they'd have to fire and rehire me or something to force me in regularly. That's not fair to those that were hired before non-remote.

My company is sticking by the stance of "the office is only used for large meetings as needed, no regularly required days". Some teams have instituted one or two "anchor" days where most of the team comes in on certain days and knocks out meetings or whatever, but that's not widespread yet.

I honestly enjoy my time in the office. About once a month, I go to the Detroit or NYC office, get facetime, have great meetings, make great connections, then go home. It's 100% value added time, and I like that a lot. I HATED sitting in an office every day for no reason, now I don't have to. I hope that doesn't change.

But if it does, I'll just bail and find another remote company, or maybe find a company in a location I can live in for the winter and negotiate 9 mos in the office and the summer away or something. I'm really :aintcare: about this return to office nonsense, but I got lucky with a company that's pretty common sense about it.
I mean I really don’t know. I do think there’s value in collaborating with peers and whatnot. Your setup seems pretty cool/sensible to me.

I’m finding (funny that this took 2.5 years or maybe now it’s because I’m in the field half the time) more and more that I really struggle at home. I get depressed about work, have trouble staying on task, eat my feelings, etc. I’m thinking on my weeks at home I may start going on Tuesdays and Thursdays or something. That’s a me thing though, I don’t think everyone is that way and they shouldn’t be forced because some people are.

It’s just so dependent on role, company, team, individual… I just thought it was interesting that my company sort of put this line in the sand today out of nowhere, curious how it goes.

I can do whatever the hell I want due to outside sales roles being remote since the company’s inception.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:23 pm

We’ve been :aintcare: about it now for several months which has been nice but still no :baby:

It’s very easy for me to be :aintcare: on the matter, but she is quite the opposite, so I have to act and look like I care or else she gets :rage:
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:24 pm
Solid use of emojis.
:bow:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:49 pm

It’s very easy for me to be :aintcare: on the matter, but she is quite the opposite, so I have to act and look like I care or else she gets :rage:
I think he meant :aintcare: as in they’ve been doin it without protection/etc not caring but still no :baby:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Lots of "DFD Giveth" going on around here :D
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:00 pm
That dynamic is weird to me...the pre and post-COVID hires. I'm a post-COVID hire with "Remote" listed as my work location. There's a bunch of people that were hired before that aren't. Unless they want to pay relo, I'm not going into an office regularly because I can't...and I was hired as remote so they'd have to fire and rehire me or something to force me in regularly. That's not fair to those that were hired before non-remote.

My company is sticking by the stance of "the office is only used for large meetings as needed, no regularly required days". Some teams have instituted one or two "anchor" days where most of the team comes in on certain days and knocks out meetings or whatever, but that's not widespread yet.

I honestly enjoy my time in the office. About once a month, I go to the Detroit or NYC office, get facetime, have great meetings, make great connections, then go home. It's 100% value added time, and I like that a lot. I HATED sitting in an office every day for no reason, now I don't have to. I hope that doesn't change.

But if it does, I'll just bail and find another remote company, or maybe find a company in a location I can live in for the winter and negotiate 9 mos in the office and the summer away or something. I'm really :aintcare: about this return to office nonsense, but I got lucky with a company that's pretty common sense about it.
I mean I really don’t know. I do think there’s value in collaborating with peers and whatnot. Your setup seems pretty cool/sensible to me.

I’m finding (funny that this took 2.5 years or maybe now it’s because I’m in the field half the time) more and more that I really struggle at home. I get depressed about work, have trouble staying on task, eat my feelings, etc. I’m thinking on my weeks at home I may start going on Tuesdays and Thursdays or something. That’s a me thing though, I don’t think everyone is that way and they shouldn’t be forced because some people are.

It’s just so dependent on role, company, team, individual… I just thought it was interesting that my company sort of put this line in the sand today out of nowhere, curious how it goes.

I can do whatever the hell I want due to outside sales roles being remote since the company’s inception.
Interesting. I don't like work no matter what, but at least I'm not wasting hours sitting in traffic commuting or sitting in the office for no reason twiddling my thumbs. I've had to work on finding the right balance to keep motivated, but it's been a worthwhile exercise IMO.

But everyone is different, just like ever company is different and to some extent teams within a company are different. One size fits all work is tough to achieve now, so flexibility will end up winning the day eventually IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:18 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:43 pm

Interesting. I don't like work no matter what, but at least I'm not wasting hours sitting in traffic commuting or sitting in the office for no reason twiddling my thumbs. I've had to work on finding the right balance to keep motivated, but it's been a worthwhile exercise IMO.

But everyone is different, just like ever company is different and to some extent teams within a company are different. One size fits all work is tough to achieve now, so flexibility will end up winning the day eventually IMO.
Yeah work blows... ugh.

That said I need to keep myself busy and I'm happier that way. WFH I tend to get frustrated, then blow it off but still just sit on my computer doing nonsense on the internet so I look logged on, and eating snacks. Then it bites me in the ass hard when I am overwhelmed with tasks because I wasn't on task. My own fault, but at the office I pretty much just get shit done as long as people aren't talking to me too much.

If I didn't have to be tied to the desk, I could do all kinds of other productive and/or fun stuff.

:ohwell: the money is nice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:49 pm

Yeah... Allison has come/gone in waves. We both got tired of worrying about it back in May or so and decided to take the summer to be :aintcare: do some fun traveling/whatever we want to do.

She knows she cares about it a lot more than me and that's OK, so all in all it's been fine. It's been nice to not worry :doe:
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:35 am Lots of "DFD Giveth" going on around here :D
:hubba: :hue:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:howdy:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:13 am:howdy:
:hai:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:34 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:13 am:howdy:
:hai:
:dat:

What's new @MexicanYarisTK ?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

So, found a house we like. It's $25k over budget. And working the numbers with realistic spending and current interest rates at around 5.5-6%, it's not going to balance. Wife wanted to go over the budget again, and I pointed out we are spending $1.350/mo on PT and therapist for her. Its our second biggest expense after a theoretical mortgage. And the response was "well I might be able to go down to once every other week with the therapist."

I am having a real hard time with this, as the sole income provider. I almost wish she'd put the kid in day care and go get a job, if this stuff is so important. We are probably losing $30k/year by her staying at home instead of paying for day care and her working. If I were making $150k it wouldn't matter, but I don't make that.
wap

Wow, tough call. I'd say you have to put :tits: health above all. If she needs that therapy, she needs it. There'll be other houses.

OTOH, the kid is old enough to probably enjoy same day care. It's good for them to learn to interact and socialize with other children. How does she feel about going back to work?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:49 pm So, found a house we like. It's $25k over budget. And working the numbers with realistic spending and current interest rates at around 5.5-6%, it's not going to balance. Wife wanted to go over the budget again, and I pointed out we are spending $1.350/mo on PT and therapist for her. Its our second biggest expense after a theoretical mortgage. And the response was "well I might be able to go down to once every other week with the therapist."

I am having a real hard time with this, as the sole income provider. I almost wish she'd put the kid in day care and go get a job, if this stuff is so important. We are probably losing $30k/year by her staying at home instead of paying for day care and her working. If I were making $150k it wouldn't matter, but I don't make that.
Interest rates just dropped under 5% run numbers again.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Also I would not buy a house right now… I’d wait for the correction which has already begun.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:49 pm So, found a house we like. It's $25k over budget. And working the numbers with realistic spending and current interest rates at around 5.5-6%, it's not going to balance. Wife wanted to go over the budget again, and I pointed out we are spending $1.350/mo on PT and therapist for her. Its our second biggest expense after a theoretical mortgage. And the response was "well I might be able to go down to once every other week with the therapist."

:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:56 am Also I would not buy a house right now… I’d wait for the correction which has already begun.
We want out of the city. Had enough. Going nuts here.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:25 am

Yeah, favorable by about $120 a month which is pretty significant.
House had a different issue and we are passing on it. Half the property is taken up by an easement that's being used as a back alley access road. I'm just frustrated is all. We can't afford much because of how much we are spending on this stuff.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Goddang my friends ditched me at the bar with some chick I didn't want to bring home. Spaghetti monster in the sky was looking out thought because they closed off half the bar while I was in so I booked it to my hotel. Kinda feel bad buuuuuutttttt I wasn't feeling it.

Edit:

:drunk: post