The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I'm still struggling to get into this thing. There are two main factors, I think. One is that I thought the smaller size and having a "true sportscar" would have a strong appeal, but really I just find it annoying most of the time. The extra space in the cabin of the GTI, the comfort of those seats, the seating position, the ease of use of all the controls, it all made for a more enjoyable experience when just going from A to B. That car was just entertaining enough in stock form to keep things interesting, but also super comfortable and genuinely a nice place to be. Then there's the powertrain. It seriously sounds like it's broken with the windows up, but more importantly it lacks any real endearing character. It doesn't sound bad but neither does it sound good, it's gruff and lacks the precision of something like the F22, it's just kind of there. Also I've been driving FI cars for more than a decade now, turbo cars for 12+ of those, and this is my first N/A in forever. The mid-range is non-existent compared to what I'm used to. The throttle is tuned super touchy so it always feels like it's ready to party, but then if you're at 3.5k at mat it there's nobody home. No surprise given the powerplant, and I didn't think I would mind it, but now that I've spent ~600 miles behind the wheel, I do.

I'm still leaning toward selling it. With values this crazy, I should probably do it while they last. There's no sense in keeping the car if I don't have a :boner: for it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

If your only real complaint was the noise I'd say have the dealer turn off the engine noise speaker in the dash, but given your other complaints I wouldn't blame you for getting rid of it. These cars just aren't for everyone, and that's ok.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:50 pm If your only real complaint was the noise I'd say have the dealer turn off the engine noise speaker in the dash, but given your other complaints I wouldn't blame you for getting rid of it. These cars just aren't for everyone, and that's ok.
It's actually not the fake noise, that doesn't kick in until you're close to 5k or so. It's the engine and I think the flywheel I'm hearing. Once it's north of 3k it sounds fine.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:52 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:50 pm If your only real complaint was the noise I'd say have the dealer turn off the engine noise speaker in the dash, but given your other complaints I wouldn't blame you for getting rid of it. These cars just aren't for everyone, and that's ok.
It's actually not the fake noise, that doesn't kick in until you're close to 5k or so. It's the engine and I think the flywheel I'm hearing. Once it's north of 3k it sounds fine.
Gotcha. The engine nvh isolation in the German cars is definitely noticable once you're in something cheaper from Japan.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That’s a bummer man…

:iono: it sounds like the things you don’t really like aren’t ones that can be changed too much. A car like this is certainly never going to be refined like a GTI. It’s funny, I feel like I really don’t care for turbos but I’m curious if I wind up feeling the same way about the power plant. I was NA for most of the last decade but in an LS1 which is quite different :lolol:

Personally I would try to get out to a Track Night in America or that free NASA event with the car, that is where it will really shine. If you aren’t in love with it then, you gave it a fair shot, take that :fullretard: ‘vana money and run.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:44 am That’s a bummer man…

:iono: it sounds like the things you don’t really like aren’t ones that can be changed too much. A car like this is certainly never going to be refined like a GTI. It’s funny, I feel like I really don’t care for turbos but I’m curious if I wind up feeling the same way about the power plant. I was NA for most of the last decade but in an LS1 which is quite different :lolol:

Personally I would try to get out to a Track Night in America or that free NASA event with the car, that is where it will really shine. If you aren’t in love with it then, you gave it a fair shot, take that :fullretard: ‘vana money and run.
Yeah man, the ellis is a totally different beast from the little FA24, even a stock 5.7. Hopefully you don't end up with the same feels. And don't you have a :tuna: on the BMW too? Losing that extra mid-range I think will definitely feel strange at first.

I think you're right, though, doing at least one performance driving event of some kind would for sure be a good idea.

As for the "character" aspect, I do think an exhaust would help. I like the tone of the AWE Touring setup best of what's out there, but it seems louder than I think I'd want. Our boy Fled has the CSG exhaust but in the clips I've found that almost seems too quiet. A Harrop supercharger would certainly satisfy the wants for more powah.

:iono:

If I sell it I'm likely not going to have a fun car at all for awhile. The prospect of that is even less appealing than keeping a car I'm not 100% in love with.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:46 am Struggling to figure out how you drive a $75k 2020 xc90 uninsured. 🤷‍♂️
WOW. Me too! Obviously violated her financing contract.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah you gotta wring these little engines out. Really beat on them to get the power. It’s fun but it’s hard to drive like that in public, even on back roads.

I haven’t been in the 2.4 cars but the 2.slow had a nice sound (IMO) and the punch felt almost as good as my GTI.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:33 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:44 am That’s a bummer man…

Yeah man, the ellis is a totally different beast from the little FA24, even a stock 5.7. Hopefully you don't end up with the same feels. And don't you have a :tuna: on the BMW too? Losing that extra mid-range I think will definitely feel strange at first.

I think you're right, though, doing at least one performance driving event of some kind would for sure be a good idea.

As for the "character" aspect, I do think an exhaust would help. I like the tone of the AWE Touring setup best of what's out there, but it seems louder than I think I'd want. Our boy Fled has the CSG exhaust but in the clips I've found that almost seems too quiet. A Harrop supercharger would certainly satisfy the wants for more powah.

If I sell it I'm likely not going to have a fun car at all for awhile. The prospect of that is even less appealing than keeping a car I'm not 100% in love with.
Yep the 328i is tuned, I'm sure it's quicker accelerating than a BRZ... I think I'm fairly :aintcare: about that, but I also wonder if I'm more like you. I think I don't care because I've only had pretty fast cars with a lot of torque for the past almost 10 years. I loved driving my NA Miata back in the day though.

I hear you on no more fun cars, wives are only going to be so tolerant of :plac: moves for reasons like "FI versus NA preference" :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:48 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:33 am

Yep the 328i is tuned, I'm sure it's quicker accelerating than a BRZ... I think I'm fairly :aintcare: about that, but I also wonder if I'm more like you. I think I don't care because I've only had pretty fast cars with a lot of torque for the past almost 10 years. I loved driving my NA Miata back in the day though.

I hear you on no more fun cars, wives are only going to be so tolerant of :plac: moves for reasons like "FI versus NA preference" :lolol:
Just tell her meaty low end torque is like great foreplay
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

You can quickly unplug the fake noise speaker by pulling the pass side dash end plate off. The control unit is the silver box in the big opening. The noise starts pumping in around 3500.

The other thing is it comes alive north of 4k. That’s why When it’s in sport/track mode the dash shortens the tach to 4-8k.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:18 pm You can quickly unplug the fake noise speaker by pulling the pass side dash end plate off. The control unit is the silver box in the big opening. The noise starts pumping in around 3500.

The other thing is it comes alive north of 4k. That’s why When it’s in sport/track mode the dash shortens the tach to 4-8k.
How is living with this in real world drives? I absolutely hate the look of that linear tachometer in all of the videos and it's a big turn off for me of the car. I don't think it's at all a :dill: breaker for me (as I'm clearly trying to buy one) but that specifically and the digi gauges are probably the one thing that gives me pause about owning one of these, particularly when my BMW has great analog gauges and my Corvette did too.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:25 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:18 pm You can quickly unplug the fake noise speaker by pulling the pass side dash end plate off. The control unit is the silver box in the big opening. The noise starts pumping in around 3500.

How is living with this in real world drives? I absolutely hate the look of that linear tachometer in all of the videos and it's a big turn off for me of the car. I don't think it's at all a :dill: breaker for me (as I'm clearly trying to buy one) but that specifically and the digi gauges are probably the one thing that gives me pause about owning one of these, particularly when my BMW has great analog gauges and my Corvette did too.
I've only used track mode a handful of times just to fuck around with it, but being in break-in makes it pretty pointless. I'm not sticking to a strict 4k rpm now at 600 miles (I've been up to ~6k), but even then that progressive tach isn't useful at all. You really have to be on track or doing some aggressive driving to make use of it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I don't like the fake noise, but that isn't the issue. It's rattly boxer noises and what sounds like SMF chatter under 2.5k-3k (but not at idle). I'd guess this thing has a dual mass, but it sure doesn't sound like it. I don't hear it with the windows down, but windows up the car makes noises no new car should make.
Johnny_P

That’s annoying because both Subaru and Toyota know how to make awesome analog mechanical gauges
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:16 am That’s annoying because both Subaru and Toyota know how to make awesome analog mechanical gauges
I’m sure the screens are cheaper. :disappoint:

To be fair I’ve never driven a car with screens for the gauge cluster so maybe it will surprise me.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:16 am That’s annoying because both Subaru and Toyota know how to make awesome analog mechanical gauges
I’m sure the screens are cheaper. :disappoint:

To be fair I’ve never driven a car with screens for the gauge cluster so maybe it will surprise me.
There's a lot of annoying usage flubs with my CRV. The digital gauge cluster is among them.
Sad, too, because the Rav4 had some very usable analog gauges with a small info screen between them that actually shows more information than the entirety of the 8" screen or whatever it is in my car. Shoulda bought that car. Oh well. 2 more years, then maybe we can dump this pile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Digital dashes aren't actually cheaper than traditional gayges. When I worked on the WL GC (that has all digital gauges), I tried to make an analog version to save some variable cost, and it was nearly $50/unit delta between gauges and the screen.

The biggest benefit is every single unit gets the exact same screen, and it can span multiple car lines. The 86/BR screen is probably the exact same as other Toyota digital screens (or will be) and that really helps with scale and part complexity.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:14 am Digital dashes aren't actually cheaper than traditional gayges. When I worked on the WL GC (that has all digital gauges), I tried to make an analog version to save some variable cost, and it was nearly $50/unit delta between gauges and the screen.

The biggest benefit is every single unit gets the exact same screen, and it can span multiple car lines. The 86/BR screen is probably the exact same as other Toyota digital screens (or will be) and that really helps with scale and part complexity.
Interesting.

I don't really understand it in that case other than maybe it will be cheaper in the future? I get it in the luxo products like Mercedes where the screens literally are completely different than traditional gauges and look baller. The 86/BRZ just kinda feels like tech for the sake of tech.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:34 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:14 am Digital dashes aren't actually cheaper than traditional gayges. When I worked on the WL GC (that has all digital gauges), I tried to make an analog version to save some variable cost, and it was nearly $50/unit delta between gauges and the screen.

Interesting.

I don't really understand it in that case other than maybe it will be cheaper in the future? I get it in the luxo products like Mercedes where the screens literally are completely different than traditional gauges and look baller. The 86/BRZ just kinda feels like tech for the sake of tech.
I'm sure there's boy racer types that love them. It's absolutely tech for tech's sake probably because the rest of the thing is so non-tech and some product planner got a hair up their butt about it. It could even be as stupid as Toyota mandates all-new vehicles to have digi-dashes to maximize purchasing power by scale. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:25 am

Honestly, in premium trim with the sticky PS4 tires the traction control rarely kicks in at all, so in street driving it’s barely an issue because you’re in normal mode.

On the track and back roads in Mexico, you’re just looking for the yellow flash of the shift light if you have it turned on.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I decided to say :ohwell: to finishing the 1,000 miles for break-in (I'm at ~580 now) and had a good romp in the car. For one, I think I was :wrong: about this car being faster than the GTI, :notsure: it is. Also, the need to disable the fake sound is real, I'll be doing that ASAP. Overall, I don't know if I'm over cars altogether or just not that into the GR86, but I think I'm probably gonna let this thing go.

Mostly now trying to figure out how much I care to spend on the Odyssey. I've found a couple that look clean for what I'd say are reasonable prices, but they've been sold by the time I've even found them and contacted the :dillerman:. The order we placed for the 2023 EX-L is supposed to be filled around the first week of September. I worry that the trade value of the 86 will tank between now and then if I decide to take delivery of it, but we can't do the one car thing, even for just a few weeks, now that my wife is back in the office 2-3 days per week.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:47 pm I decided to say :ohwell: to finishing the 1,000 miles for break-in (I'm at ~580 now) and had a good romp in the car. For one, I think I was :wrong: about this car being faster than the GTI, :notsure: it is. Also, the need to disable the fake sound is real, I'll be doing that ASAP. Overall, I don't know if I'm over cars altogether or just not that into the GR86, but I think I'm probably gonna let this thing go.

Mostly now trying to figure out how much I care to spend on the Odyssey. I've found a couple that look clean for what I'd say are reasonable prices, but they've been sold by the time I've even found them and contacted the :dillerman:. The order we placed for the 2023 EX-L is supposed to be filled around the first week of September. I worry that the trade value of the 86 will tank between now and then if I decide to take delivery of it, but we can't do the one car thing, even for just a few weeks, now that my wife is back in the office 2-3 days per week.
Does your :dillerman: rape at delivery ?
Curious how you’re getting that van at retail.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:02 pm Does your :dillerman: rape at delivery ?
I guess things could always change, but I was told this dealer group (owned by Roger Penske) does not charge ADM for any vehicle, ever.

I literally just called them up with zero prior relationship with this dealership or even the entire dealer network, got forwarded to a salesperson, told them which trim and colors I wanted, then he let me know after a minute of clicking around on the computer when I could expect delivery. I've checked in a couple times and so far, everything is still on schedule.

I think being in the Midwest makes a big difference.
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:02 pm Does your :dillerman: rape at delivery ?
I guess things could always change, but I was told this dealer group (owned by Roger Penske) does not charge ADM for any vehicle, ever.

I literally just called them up with zero prior relationship with this dealership or even the entire dealer network, got forwarded to a salesperson, told them which trim and colors I wanted, then he let me know after a minute of clicking around on the computer when I could expect delivery. I've checked in a couple times and so far, everything is still on schedule.

I think being in the Midwest makes a big difference.
Swaggertown, USA
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.