OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:41 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:38 pm

Have fun out there. Careful with the locals, they have been tourist deprived for a bit and may be looking to scheme some money out y’all. Thailand is a land of contrasts.
I've heard some crazy stories about the depths of the money grabbing schemes out there. How many times have you been?

We should be good as we have a local guide/group tour thing for the whole trip.

We will also spend a day in Helsinki on the way which should be :neat:
I have been once for about 9 days. Visited Koh Samui, Bangkok and Koh Pha Ngan. Thailand is a very odd place its like a 3rd world country but it has some elements of "first world" in there. Things are rapidly evolving and changing so perhaps it improved. The usual money grabbers are "custom suits" knock off sneakers, knock off purses/watches, and girls... but you're bringing sand to the beach so that won't matter too much.

Usually there are two pricing systems also. One for tourists and one for locals. For ex. Thailand can be insanely cheap, $20-30 a night for hotels $2-3 a meal etc... or you can go $400 a night/$50 a meal also... sometimes in similar locations across the street from one another.... I have never witnessed such pricing disparity.

Their... toilets are a bit ... funny to say the least. Unless you're in a 5 star place (western brands)... And their "star rating" is also wonky... as everything is 5 stars somehow if its their local brand.

Overall Thailand really wasn't my thing, but I have met people there from Sweden that fking LOVED it because of how different it was from their first world experience.

That said I think you'll enjoy yourself. International travel is fun. Most locals speak a lick of broken English and you can get by on sign language relatively well. And people are really friendly in general. There are plenty of land marks and sights to see.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

wap wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:58 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:22 am Damn.. missed a deadline at work :yikes: thought it was 6/27, but it was 6/17. I have everything all ready to go this morning so hopefully being one business day late isn’t the end of the world, but I’m sure I’ll get my ass chewed at least a little.
Dang. That sucks. I hate when I make a preventable mistake like that. Hopefully you won't get shat on too much.

Here’s to hoping.
Luckily my bro that’s my boss is out on paternity leave and I think this is minor enough that it will never be brought up after his return.
SAWCE

Alright bretheren, time to help me decide how much cooling power I want for our bedroom. I’m leaning towards better safe than sorry, but even the “sorry” option should be plenty.

Our room is weird shaped (not just a rectangle) and has slanted ceilings that go from 9’ at each of the far walls, to 11.5’ in the center of the room.

Sqft is ~170, not including the bathroom which we’ll just pull the door shut at night and cancel out that space essentially. Cubic footage is ~1400 due to the high ceilings.

8,000 btu unit is rated for a 350sqft room, and when I look up cubic footage for their calcs, it appears they all use a standard 8’ ceiling, making that unit capable of cooling a 2,800cuft room. Toshiba unit I’m looking at runs $300 for that size.

Or do I bump up to the big boy 10,000 btu unit for $400 which cools a 450sqft room, or an approximate 3,600cuft?
SAWCE

We got a heat wave rolling through this weekend and I’m trying to get ahead of that nasty bitch.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:12 pm Alright bretheren, time to help me decide how much cooling power I want for our bedroom. I’m leaning towards better safe than sorry, but even the “sorry” option should be plenty.

Our room is weird shaped (not just a rectangle) and has slanted ceilings that go from 9’ at each of the far walls, to 11.5’ in the center of the room.

Sqft is ~170, not including the bathroom which we’ll just pull the door shut at night and cancel out that space essentially. Cubic footage is ~1400 due to the high ceilings.

8,000 btu unit is rated for a 350sqft room, and when I look up cubic footage for their calcs, it appears they all use a standard 8’ ceiling, making that unit capable of cooling a 2,800cuft room. Toshiba unit I’m looking at runs $300 for that size.

Or do I bump up to the big boy 10,000 btu unit for $400 which cools a 450sqft room, or an approximate 3,600cuft?
If you're just cooling one room 8k should be ok.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:12 pm Alright bretheren, time to help me decide how much cooling power I want for our bedroom. I’m leaning towards better safe than sorry, but even the “sorry” option should be plenty.

What about decibel ratings? I'd be inclined to get the quieter juan.
max225

Tar wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:22 pm

:dat: these suckers are noisy AF.
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:22 pm

Oh, good call! I’ll look up those specs for each now.
SAWCE

Difference is negligible between the two.. 61dB for the 8k, 60dB for the 10k.

I’m thinking the 8k will be fine for our room. Then if she needs a second one for the window in her office we can use the $100 saved here towards one for that.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

We bought GE “ultra quiet” ones from HD I think it was, like 2 years ago. They’re very quiet for a window AC when the fan is running on low. They’re typical loud when the fan kicks on higher.

If you have a ceiling fan that can also help in a larger room.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:22 am Damn.. missed a deadline at work :yikes: thought it was 6/27, but it was 6/17. I have everything all ready to go this morning so hopefully being one business day late isn’t the end of the world, but I’m sure I’ll get my ass chewed at least a little.
Dang. That sucks. I hate when I make a preventable mistake like that. Hopefully you won't get shat on too much.
:dat:

Happens to the best of us :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:00 pm Difference is negligible between the two.. 61dB for the 8k, 60dB for the 10k.

I’m thinking the 8k will be fine for our room. Then if she needs a second one for the window in her office we can use the $100 saved here towards one for that.
Those are both fairly quiet. I personally like whitish noise while sleeping and wouldn't mind a louder AC unit/fan. I'd probably go for the 8K unit unless you think you may eventually want to move it to a house with a larger room or something.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:41 pm

I've heard some crazy stories about the depths of the money grabbing schemes out there. How many times have you been?

We should be good as we have a local guide/group tour thing for the whole trip.

We will also spend a day in Helsinki on the way which should be :neat:
I have been once for about 9 days. Visited Koh Samui, Bangkok and Koh Pha Ngan. Thailand is a very odd place its like a 3rd world country but it has some elements of "first world" in there. Things are rapidly evolving and changing so perhaps it improved. The usual money grabbers are "custom suits" knock off sneakers, knock off purses/watches, and girls... but you're bringing sand to the beach so that won't matter too much.

Usually there are two pricing systems also. One for tourists and one for locals. For ex. Thailand can be insanely cheap, $20-30 a night for hotels $2-3 a meal etc... or you can go $400 a night/$50 a meal also... sometimes in similar locations across the street from one another.... I have never witnessed such pricing disparity.

Their... toilets are a bit ... funny to say the least. Unless you're in a 5 star place (western brands)... And their "star rating" is also wonky... as everything is 5 stars somehow if its their local brand.

Overall Thailand really wasn't my thing, but I have met people there from Sweden that fking LOVED it because of how different it was from their first world experience.

That said I think you'll enjoy yourself. International travel is fun. Most locals speak a lick of broken English and you can get by on sign language relatively well. And people are really friendly in general. There are plenty of land marks and sights to see.
:notbad:

Most people I know who have been seem to love it, curious how we feel. I find third world countries quite interesting to visit. On the one hand (in my limited experience which is Costa Rica, Peru, Bahamas, Jamaica, maybe one or two other small ones), the people generally seem to be pretty happy and it's rather inspiring to see that those with so much less than us rich ass Americans still love life just as much or more. It is also rather :sad: to see some of the conditions and ways people have to live. Costa Rica and Peru were overall less depressing than the Bahamas and Jamaica by quite a bit.

I've never been outside of the Americas/Europe, so I'm :excited: It also looks to be quite beautiful geography wise.

The scam my friend was involved in was around custom suits - what is wild is how intricate it was, involving multiple locals in multiple areas, several tuk tuk rides. many conversations that were seemingly unrelated, but all came back to be a giant tangled web.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I don't recall all the :science: behind it, but getting an AC unit that's too big for the space is not optimal, so you don't want to go too big.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:09 pm

:dat:

Happens to the best of us :doe:
For sure. And the rest of us. ;)
SAWCE

wap wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:31 pm

I don't recall all the :science: behind it, but getting an AC unit that's too big for the space is not optimal, so you don't want to go too big.
Oh, interesting.. I’ll have to read up on that, but I wonder if it applies more to full blown HVAC systems for an entire house?

We ended up with the 8k btu unit. Bought a little support thing too since it’ll be up on our third floor. Probably hook it up tonight.

Also, Dan, I enjoy some white noise at night and have been missing having a ceiling fan in the room for noise and airflow. I’ve been using some of the soundscapes from the Calm app as background noise while I sleep as a replacement.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:22 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:31 pm
Oh, interesting.. I’ll have to read up on that, but I wonder if it applies more to full blown HVAC systems for an entire house?

We ended up with the 8k btu unit. Bought a little support thing too since it’ll be up on our third floor. Probably hook it up tonight.

Also, Dan, I enjoy some white noise at night and have been missing having a ceiling fan in the room for noise and airflow. I’ve been using some of the soundscapes from the Calm app as background noise while I sleep as a replacement.
I'm :notsure: , and DPlac will probably know more than me about this, but I believe the concept is the same for a whole :haus: AC and a single room window-rattler. Something like, if the unit is too big for the space, it'll run briefly and quickly bring the temp down, then shut down without out being on long enough to dehumidify properly. Then it'll continue to cycle on and off in short duty cycles. Whereas a proper size unit will stay on longer and cool and dehumidify more thoroughly over longer run times.

Or something like that. :notsure:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Guys. There is no such thing as too much air conditioning power. And we're talking about window units here. That "too big" stuff Ron is talking about is for central HVAC. Get the big one. Also, you're buying this to sleep at night. White noise my ass right into slumber land.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I see I'm too late and we tried to be sensible and all that bullshit.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sometimes this place like Consumer Reports.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:28 pm Guys. There is no such thing as too much air conditioning power. And we're talking about window units here. That "too big" stuff Ron is talking about is for central HVAC. Get the big one. Also, you're buying this to sleep at night. White noise my ass right into slumber land.
Ran the 8k unit last night and it never fully cooled the room down :disgust: I should have stuck with my gut and gone 10k. I’ll play with this one again tonight and if it runs all night long again without being able to get the room down to 68° I’ll see if Home Depot will let me return /exchange it.
wap

:|
SAWCE

This thing was also much louder than I remember it being in our San Diego house. Probably the taller ceilings amplifying the sound.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:58 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:28 pm Guys. There is no such thing as too much air conditioning power. And we're talking about window units here. That "too big" stuff Ron is talking about is for central HVAC. Get the big one. Also, you're buying this to sleep at night. White noise my ass right into slumber land.
Ran the 8k unit last night and it never fully cooled the room down :disgust: I should have stuck with my gut and gone 10k. I’ll play with this one again tonight and if it runs all night long again without being able to get the room down to 68° I’ll see if Home Depot will let me return /exchange it.
Don't do that just box it up and say the thing just didn't work worth a shit.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:34 am This thing was also much louder than I remember it being in our San Diego house. Probably the taller ceilings amplifying the sound.
When John Force wins the Winternationals, he doesn't say his engine was too loud.