The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm :mindblown:
:howdareu: GTI is an epic pile of compromises that does most things ok but nothing great.
:iono:

I was back in the GTI yesterday carting my little dude around, then the wife and I took it out for a rare date night, and it's pretty clear to me that so far, I prefer the GTI for the kind of driving I typically do. I'd for sure grab the 86 if I'm going to an autocross event, so I suppose that just means I'll have to get off my ass and go do a couple so I can actually use the thing as intended.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:57 am
wap wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm :mindblown:
:howdareu: GTI is an epic pile of compromises that does most things ok but nothing great.
:iono:

I was back in the GTI yesterday carting my little dude around, then the wife and I took it out for a rare date night, and it's pretty clear to me that so far, I prefer the GTI for the kind of driving I typically do. I'd for sure grab the 86 if I'm going to an autocross event, so I suppose that just means I'll have to get off my ass and go do a couple so I can actually use the thing as intended.
:word:
I was being :trollface: . I obviously think the GTI is a pretty great one car to rule them all and drives pretty well.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:17 am :word:
I was being :trollface: . I obviously think the GTI is a pretty great one car to rule them all and drives pretty well.
Oh I know, but that opinion is probably held by more people on here than not.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

It's a great sports car. But daily driving a sports car kind of sucks. It's why I ordered a Maverick. It's not easy to live with.

That said, you still haven't driven the thing. I promise you when you open it up and find some fun roads it will come alive for you. It's far more rewarding to drive than a GTI.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:08 am It's a great sports car. But daily driving a sports car kind of sucks. It's why I ordered a Maverick. It's not easy to live with.

That said, you still haven't driven the thing. I promise you when you open it up and find some fun roads it will come alive for you. It's far more rewarding to drive than a GTI.
I'll have an Odyssey for a daily soon enough, the 86 was never meant to be that.

I fully agree with the bolded. We'll see how my opinion changes once I've had to chance open it up a little bit.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

What tires did the factory slap on the thing? Tires are another item that can impact steering and the overall ride quality.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:40 am What tires did the factory slap on the thing? Tires are another item that can impact steering and the overall ride quality.
Premium gets Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires in 215/40/18 size.

The base car gets 215/45/17 Michelin Primacy summer tires which have much less grip and actually makes the car a lot more "fun", lively and sideways on the street.

You do have to work hard to break it free and get it sideways with the PS4 tires. I'd argue it's probably a hair too grippy on the street with them.

I threw a set of Michelin AS4 all seasons on during the winter and it was a lot more lively.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:54 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:40 am What tires did the factory slap on the thing? Tires are another item that can impact steering and the overall ride quality.
Premium gets Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires in 215/40/18 size.

The base car gets 215/45/17 Michelin Primacy summer tires which have much less grip and actually makes the car a lot more "fun", lively and sideways on the street.

You do have to work hard to break it free and get it sideways with the PS4 tires. I'd argue it's probably a hair too grippy on the street with them.

I threw a set of Michelin AS4 all seasons on during the winter and it was a lot more lively.
I love the feeling of huge front end grip which I've had on the BMW with 245 200TW now and even more so on the :poorvette: with 275 of the same tire. Nothing feels quite the same as turning in with all the weight on the nose and just huge amounts of grip.

@Coogs sorry it isn't love at first drive, lots to unpack here. Your first outing was a highway trip which is probably where the 86 is at its worst and the GTI at it's best.

If you want to combine the GTI and 86 into one, I'll give you my Beemah and $7K for the 86 :lolol: :dillerman:

I think you would like an S2000 even less (granted I've never driven a new 86) but even the prior gen 86 was a torque monster and cavernous inside compared to an S2000. Those things are :poop: under 6K RPM and are tiny. I actually think the 86 is the most comfy sports car that isn't a Porsche or a Corvette on the market, particularly for large people. We all are different ergonomically :doe:

Hopefully you don't just live in the wrong place for this thing... I would be hesitant to get any sports car in a big, open, flat place.

Looking forward to your further assessment, I think once you get this on track, you will be :mindblown: GTIs blow on track.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:29 am I love the feeling of huge front end grip which I've had on the BMW with 245 200TW now and even more so on the :poorvette: with 275 of the same tire. Nothing feels quite the same as turning in with all the weight on the nose and just huge amounts of grip.

@Coogs sorry it isn't love at first drive, lots to unpack here. Your first outing was a highway trip which is probably where the 86 is at its worst and the GTI at it's best.

If you want to combine the GTI and 86 into one, I'll give you my Beemah and $7K for the 86 :lolol: :dillerman:

I think you would like an S2000 even less (granted I've never driven a new 86) but even the prior gen 86 was a torque monster and cavernous inside compared to an S2000. Those things are :poop: under 6K RPM and are tiny. I actually think the 86 is the most comfy sports car that isn't a Porsche or a Corvette on the market, particularly for large people. We all are different ergonomically :doe:

Hopefully you don't just live in the wrong place for this thing... I would be hesitant to get any sports car in a big, open, flat place.

Looking forward to your further assessment, I think once you get this on track, you will be :mindblown: GTIs blow on track.
I've driven a couple S2000s, one AP1 and one AP2. I enjoyed both more than the 86, but especially the 2005 AP2.

:notsure: about the GTIs blow on track comment. There are several examples of quick GTIs out there with really pretty minimal mods. Maybe not the most engaging thing, but undoubtedly capable IMO.

TBD on the '86. I pick it up tomorrow from the detail shop and the GTI gets loaded on a truck next week. I'll get plenty of seat time.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:40 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:29 am I love the feeling of huge front end grip which I've had on the BMW with 245 200TW now and even more so on the :poorvette: with 275 of the same tire. Nothing feels quite the same as turning in with all the weight on the nose and just huge amounts of grip.

I've driven a couple S2000s, one AP1 and one AP2. I enjoyed both more than the 86, but especially the 2005 AP2.

:notsure: about the GTIs blow on track comment. There are several examples of quick GTIs out there with really pretty minimal mods. Maybe not the most engaging thing, but undoubtedly capable IMO.

TBD on the '86. I pick it up tomorrow from the detail shop and the GTI gets loaded on a truck next week. I'll get plenty of seat time.
Depends what you want. A GTI can put down pretty quick lap times for sure, but they're not as fun as a proper sports car IMO. I never really enjoyed tracking my GTIs, which got me into more sport oriented RWD stuff. I was generally slower in my 951 than my MKV GTI at the same tracks, but the 951 was way more fun.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

GTIs are fast, just not really that enjoyable. That said, I've only driven a :mk6: on track and the newer versions seem to drive better, have LSD, etc. Managing understeer around a road course just isn't fun to me at all. Steering with the throttle is. A lot of it is personal preference, plenty of people track VWs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

On the flip, I think on a twisty road where you can't really exceed 7-8/10, a GTI is quite fun, especially with a big rear sway bar and sticky front :225:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:53 am On the flip, I think on a twisty road where you can't really exceed 7-8/10, a GTI is quite fun, especially with a big rear sway bar and sticky front :225:
100%. I also enjoyed my MK6 in auto-x. A fat rear bar, defeated stability control, it was a ton of :lolol:

But at speed on the track, mitigating understeer was always tough. A rear bar too big makes it twitchy, but too small and it plows. You can't power out of turns, and need to connect your right foot to your hands where you add throttle as you unwind the wheel proportionately. Actually a good skill to develop, but not as fun. Though, I never drove one with an LSD, and that could really change things. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:59 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:53 am On the flip, I think on a twisty road where you can't really exceed 7-8/10, a GTI is quite fun, especially with a big rear sway bar and sticky front :225:
100%. I also enjoyed my MK6 in auto-x. A fat rear bar, defeated stability control, it was a ton of :lolol:

But at speed on the track, mitigating understeer was always tough. A rear bar too big makes it twitchy, but too small and it plows. You can't power out of turns, and need to connect your right foot to your hands where you add throttle as you unwind the wheel proportionately. Actually a good skill to develop, but not as fun. Though, I never drove one with an LSD, and that could really change things. :iono:
Yeah the Civic Sis and R I've driven are pretty dope with the LSD. You can just matte the throttle even in a u-turn and it claws it's way out in the same direction you're expecting/hoping for. It's a pretty cool feeling. My GTI would just sort of go straight if I did the same in it.

Agreed that it was pretty fun in autox. I actually found RWD cars in autox kind of a pain in the ass, but mostly just because I'm not good at autox.
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:33 am
wap wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:17 am :word:
Oh I know, but that opinion is probably held by more people on here than not.
Yeah, it was them that I was :trollface: :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Shiny.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:51 am Shiny.

That is a great color!

I haven't seen it in person, in a lot of pics it looks almost like a black. Under those glamorous fluorescents, it is very :nice:
wap

:like: :like:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Oh this entire time I thought you got the brz due to the different color, is this similar to WR blue or is it even darker?

So that means the 86 comes in 3 different shades of blue ?! :impressive:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:14 pm

Oh this entire time I thought you got the brz due to the different color, is this similar to WR blue or is it even darker?

So that means the 86 comes in 3 different shades of blue ?! :impressive:
It's darker. The 86 comes in Trueno (dis) or Neptune blue (Fled's). The BRZ comes in the usual Subaru World Rally bloo or Sapphire blue. Sapphire is either super similar to or exactly the same as Trueno on the GR86.

WRB -

Trueno -
ChrisoftheNorth

:megusta: I love the way these things look. That color is phenomenal. The wants are real.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:25 pm :megusta: I love the way these things look. That color is phenomenal. The wants are real.
They are if Coogles will stop hating on it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:25 pm :megusta: I love the way these things look. That color is phenomenal. The wants are real.
:really:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:01 pm

Seriously. It's too soon to conclude "hating on it" IMO. A cross-town drive from the dealer to a shop tells you jack squat.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:40 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm

Seriously. It's too soon to conclude "hating on it" IMO. A cross-town drive from the dealer to a shop tells you jack squat.
Just having a little fun boys. :zing: Everybody is supposed to jerk it to this thing like the second coming and our man in Indy has been having some real talk, that's all.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.