OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:53 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:05 am

Don't let it run all the way out? I consider a big tank a major feature. The rest of the truck is too much :doe:
We beat this horse to death. Filling up above 1/2 is for emergencies or road trip efficiencies.
Now it is also apparently about not paying 200 dollhairs for gas.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:00 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:53 am

We beat this horse to death. Filling up above 1/2 is for emergencies or road trip efficiencies.
Now it is also apparently about not paying 200 dollhairs for gas.
We used to have that $75 dollar limit at gas stations here in Cali… I’m glad it got silently raised. My buddy kept bitching back in the cheap $4 days that his diesel ram 1500 would always click before it was full. So he would have to swipe twice. Now at $8 for diesel (yep that’s the price baby) it would have been a solid $200 to fill-er up
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:36 am So I just got my 2022 work goals right? I need to enter some progress notes against them by end of week. Apparently these notes will set the stage for how I’m tracking against completion of these goals, and will influence my year end ratings.

I got these goals last week. I’ve had one week with them.
Identify all your completed tasks as a learning opportunity and then check them all off. 100% completion by mid year! :fuckyeah:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I was a little hesitant about taking this job since I wasn’t sure how my buddy would be as a manager. It’s hard to picture someone who you’ve carried out of a club in Vegas, because the bouncers decided they were too drunk and if you didn’t take them outside then they were going to, as a leader :lol: But he’s solid. Been cool to see. And I see him that way with the whole team, not just myself since we’re bros.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:36 am So I just got my 2022 work goals right? I need to enter some progress notes against them by end of week. Apparently these notes will set the stage for how I’m tracking against completion of these goals, and will influence my year end ratings.

I got these goals last week. I’ve had one week with them.
Identify all your completed tasks as a learning opportunity and then check them all off. 100% completion by mid year! :fuckyeah:
:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:01 pm I was a little hesitant about taking this job since I wasn’t sure how my buddy would be as a manager. It’s hard to picture someone who you’ve carried out of a club in Vegas, because the bouncers decided they were too drunk and if you didn’t take them outside then they were going to, as a leader :lol: But he’s solid. Been cool to see. And I see him that way with the whole team, not just myself since we’re bros.
I almost take offense to this :lol:

Drinking can be quite a trip sometimes. And it equalizes some higher ups to us down in the trenches.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:35 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:01 pm I was a little hesitant about taking this job since I wasn’t sure how my buddy would be as a manager. It’s hard to picture someone who you’ve carried out of a club in Vegas, because the bouncers decided they were too drunk and if you didn’t take them outside then they were going to, as a leader :lol: But he’s solid. Been cool to see. And I see him that way with the whole team, not just myself since we’re bros.

Drinking can be quite a trip sometimes. And it equalizes some higher ups to us down in the trenches.
:lol: man.. his bachelor party 8 or 9 years ago.. we got to the first club of the night early-ish by Vegas standards.. 9:00 or so. By 10:00 so many random people had bought him drinks/shots when they learned it was his bachelor party that he was full-on couldn’t even stand on his own blacked out :impressive: It took two of us to get his ass outside and to the room.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:35 pm

I drank with one of our EVPs in Vegas last week... can't say that I really enjoyed it, just had me on edge the entire time.

He said he was in to cars so I asked what he drives and he sort of shot me down... I thought it was because he didn't want to admit how baller it was. Come to find out, he has a JKU and a 535i, I actually kind of one upped him with a better Jeep and more unique BMW.
max225

My cfo drives a mk6 gti with a stage 1 tune :aintcare: ima be taking a 20 year old tsx to work
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:17 pm My cfo drives a mk6 gti with a stage 1 tune :aintcare: ima be taking a 20 year old tsx to work
Gotta keep the real flexes in the garage away from the coworkers. Can’t have them seeing the :waxer: shit. I’m sure your CFO has an exotic in the garage for weekends and the GTI is his daily beater
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:17 pm My cfo drives a mk6 gti with a stage 1 tune :aintcare: ima be taking a 20 year old tsx to work
One of our execs rocks the :mk6: GTI as well :lolol:
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:35 pm
Gotta keep the real flexes in the garage away from the coworkers. Can’t have them seeing the :waxer: shit. I’m sure your CFO has an exotic in the garage for weekends and the GTI is his daily beater
:dat: it creates conversations that don’t need to be had. My wives comp culture is different af though… they flex on one another hard, tech bro shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Interesting. Most of the people I work with are in NYC or India and don't own cars. My boss lives in Brooklyn and his wife has a smartcar that he doesn't drive. He sees no point in car ownershit, they have the smartcar so his wife can easily visit family in NJ weekly.

We develop software for the auto industry, so it's kind of :lolol: how disinterested everyone is with cars. Our CEO drives a "Jeep Grand Cherokee of some sort" (his words), I assume there's other execs with some decent hardware somewhere, but :iono: I guess when there aren't parking lots to walk out to after work, what you drive is pretty insignificant.

A dude I hired back in October is a car guy. Lives in Toronto with a Fucus ST and a :manuel: ATS in his fleet. He LOVES talking about cars.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:12 pm Interesting. Most of the people I work with are in NYC or India and don't own cars. My boss lives in Brooklyn and his wife has a smartcar that he doesn't drive. He sees no point in car ownershit, they have the smartcar so his wife can easily visit family in NJ weekly.

We develop software for the auto industry, so it's kind of :lolol: how disinterested everyone is with cars. Our CEO drives a "Jeep Grand Cherokee of some sort" (his words), I assume there's other execs with some decent hardware somewhere, but :iono: I guess when there aren't parking lots to walk out to after work, what you drive is pretty insignificant.

A dude I hired back in October is a car guy. Lives in Toronto with a Fucus ST and a :manuel: ATS in his fleet. He LOVES talking about cars.
Yea. Same thing with my SF colleagues. 70-80% didn't have cars. Only the epic :waxer: s did and rented $200-500 a month garage spaces and bitched about it. And sometimes it would be someone random with a sig other not in SF. City life = no car out here. I think NYC+SF are likely the ONLY major cities in this country where this is the "normal".
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Bunch of my coworkers here in philly dont have cars either, but we are kinda NYC jr. Some also have cars that literally get used once every couple months. Tbh while weve been in the suburbs here my wife and I barely used our car(s), we walk everywhere. I take the train to the office and we can grab groceries while we were in the downtown area (which we walk to).

The only thing we would use cars for is for family visits and vacation trips. Now moving to delaware things are more spaced out, but things are still easily bikeable where we are. I need to be able to get to the airport for work, and no biking in winter.

Our company is a mixed bag. Most are not enthusiasts so :aintcare:. A couple of our senior execs have nice 30+ ft boats for offshore fishing, but both those guys live in florida where it makes sense and its not a huge flex. My boss (EVP) drives a 2010 subaru outback, weve got teslas here and there and whatnot but since we are pretty much all remote, it doesnt even matter. I did find out one of my employees drives a range rover and his offroad toy is a LR4 which is neat. Other notables are a 69 nova SS, heavily modded STI, modded FoRS, b9 S4, track prepped miata.
max225

Curious how this gas price environment will affect a good chunk of the car market where people may now want to downsize fleets or cars or both.

:popcorn: that shit is going to cowrecked real hard soon imo.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:39 pm Curious how this gas price environment will affect a good chunk of the car market where people may now want to downsize fleets or cars or both.

:iswydt:
SAWCE

I miss the Jeep up here, but gas prices have me sitting happy in the Elantra. 95% of my driving in on the freeway too, so my calculated MPG has gone from averaging from mid-high 20s, to high 30s :impressive:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:52 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:39 pm Curious how this gas price environment will affect a good chunk of the car market where people may now want to downsize fleets or cars or both.

:iswydt:
:ty:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:54 pm I miss the Jeep up here, but gas prices have me sitting happy in the Elantra. 95% of my driving in on the freeway too, so my calculated MPG has gone from averaging from mid-high 20s, to high 30s :impressive:
That is really :impressive: I think if I had Johnnys speed limits out here I’d average close to 40 in the mini as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

I don't think it'll matter until people start dealing with income challenges. Losing jobs en masse, basic life essentials skyrocketing in price, etc. All of that could happen, but we'll see.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:43 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:54 pm I miss the Jeep up here, but gas prices have me sitting happy in the Elantra. 95% of my driving in on the freeway too, so my calculated MPG has gone from averaging from mid-high 20s, to high 30s :impressive:
That is really :impressive: I think if I had Johnnys speed limits out here I’d average close to 40 in the mini as well.
Ah yeah I forgot to mention that speed limits out here are 55-60 in my area as well instead of 70 in Cali. People generally drive 60-65 in them vs 80-85 in the 70 areas of San Diego. I generally find myself right around 65, but sometime push up closer to 70.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:12 am

I don't think it'll matter until people start dealing with income challenges. Losing jobs en masse, basic life essentials skyrocketing in price, etc. All of that could happen, but we'll see.
I also wonder if people will just cut down on driving rather than changing vehicles. How many of us here is driving pretty much 90% optional for at this point? As mentioned I use my car like once a week. Jeep gets used more but even still, most of the miles are totally optional weekend trips and the like. I may actually talk to Allison about being a bit more mindful about consolidating trips and stuff. $100 fill ups are no joke.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

rockchops wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:28 pm Bunch of my coworkers here in philly dont have cars either, but we are kinda NYC jr. Some also have cars that literally get used once every couple months. Tbh while weve been in the suburbs here my wife and I barely used our car(s), we walk everywhere. I take the train to the office and we can grab groceries while we were in the downtown area (which we walk to).

The only thing we would use cars for is for family visits and vacation trips. Now moving to delaware things are more spaced out, but things are still easily bikeable where we are. I need to be able to get to the airport for work, and no biking in winter.

Our company is a mixed bag. Most are not enthusiasts so :aintcare:. A couple of our senior execs have nice 30+ ft boats for offshore fishing, but both those guys live in florida where it makes sense and its not a huge flex. My boss (EVP) drives a 2010 subaru outback, weve got teslas here and there and whatnot but since we are pretty much all remote, it doesnt even matter. I did find out one of my employees drives a range rover and his offroad toy is a LR4 which is neat. Other notables are a 69 nova SS, heavily modded STI, modded FoRS, b9 S4, track prepped miata.
My industry seems to have more car guys than most... AV engineer types are just generally gear heads.

On my small team we have a few car peeps - mostly 'pickup man' guys. My coworker I mentioned just bought the $75K Tundy and a few have nice Ass Rammers. The two sales reps that cover my territory are into cars - one drives a Challenger and her wife a Range Rover. The other guy has a QuattraPorte, a Sling Shot, and a pretty sweet 1993 Acura Legend :manuel: in red he restored.

My boss bro lives in the Pay Area and is a total BMW geek but is at odds with himself and always seems unable to justify buying anything cool. He's had a few E30 M3s back when they were cheap but now has some POS Jetta. He did allegedly just order a Rivian after years in car purgatory.

I had dinner with a client who is an AV Estimator (probably like $120K/year max) and drives a Cayman GT4. Plenty of people in this field willing to blow dough on car shit.
max225

Random brain dump. I think cali and the lower western united states will have the worst fire season on record. I am mildly terrified. The house is insured.... but I mean once its burned down, :whocares: who will buy it after? Will I even be able to rebuild it if 1000s of homes need to be rebuilt. Will it be safe to live here? I suppose it may be as everything will be literally scorched earth.

What a fucking time to be alive.