OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gonna Drop $13,494.00 on a new HVAC system tomorrow. Old one started having enough issues that entering a new summer season with a sketch A/C was not an acceptable option. We tried the "Nest" with the old one and it simply did not work for the heat, had to switch back to conventional thermostat.

Truth be told dual inverter compressors, and having dudes to through a small hole into your hot attic and remove the heater/air handler/ A/C coil and install an entirely new system for that amount seems kind of :notbad: to me. 10 year warranty on errthang.

It's not like I could do it myself.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:42 pm Gonna Drop $13,494.00 on a new HVAC system tomorrow. Old one started having enough issues that entering a new summer season with a sketch A/C was not an acceptable option. We tried the "Nest" with the old one and it simply did not work for the heat, had to switch back to conventional thermostat.

Truth be told dual inverter compressors, and having dudes to through a small hole into your hot attic and remove the heater/air handler/ A/C coil and install an entirely new system for that amount seems kind of :notbad: to me. 10 year warranty on errthang.

That's all-in replacing everything (minus ducting)?

:notbad: indeed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

And truthfully, there's a lot of value in paying someone to do a job that has a warranty. So many components can go tits up at anytime for no reason, nice to know you won't be nickel and dimed to death. It's why we went :waxer: on our backup generator, the 10 year warranty made it a bit more palatable for the piece of mind.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:42 pm Gonna Drop $13,494.00 on a new HVAC system tomorrow. Old one started having enough issues that entering a new summer season with a sketch A/C was not an acceptable option. We tried the "Nest" with the old one and it simply did not work for the heat, had to switch back to conventional thermostat.

I honestly don't get it. You have to crawl through a hole in a closet and completely dismantle the air handler, heater and A/C coil, remove it, and completely replace it and then hook it up to the compressor(s) on a pad and you're going to do it in 1 day? :popcorn:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:52 pm

I honestly don't get it. You have to crawl through a hole in a closet and completely dismantle the air handler, heater and A/C coil, remove it, and completely replace it and then hook it up to the compressor(s) on a pad and you're going to do it in 1 day? :popcorn:
I bet they do it all the time and have it down to a science. Your house isn't unique.

I realized this when we had our generator installed. The dude told us it would be a half day job. :notsure: others were telling us it would be a week start to finish. I asked the guy, and he said they've been doing so many of these installs that each member on the crew knows exactly what to do and when and they just repeat it over and over. Each crew has a licensed plumber to handle the gas work, everyone else is a licensed/certified electrician.

Sure enough, they were done in 4 hours. That included gas line work, tapping into the main electrical, leveling the unit, blah blah. It would have taken me working on my own many days working 100% on it. It was amazing watching them work because they were all doing different things that all came together at the end. efficiency to the max.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:02 pm

I bet they do it all the time and have it down to a science. Your house isn't unique.

I realized this when we had our generator installed. The dude told us it would be a half day job. :notsure: others were telling us it would be a week start to finish. I asked the guy, and he said they've been doing so many of these installs that each member on the crew knows exactly what to do and when and they just repeat it over and over. Each crew has a licensed plumber to handle the gas work, everyone else is a licensed/certified electrician.

Sure enough, they were done in 4 hours. That included gas line work, tapping into the main electrical, leveling the unit, blah blah. It would have taken me working on my own many days working 100% on it. It was amazing watching them work because they were all doing different things that all came together at the end. efficiency to the max.
Our generator took about a half day, too. And that included running new gas pipe through the garage, trenching it underground from the garage to the generator because it was on the other side of a concrete walkway, then patching the concrete where they had to cut through it. The plumber was a neighbor of mine and the electrician was a long time friend of his, which probably helped them working together.

:notbad: , indeed.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:02 pm

For sure. It's still :mindblown: to me.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yay houses are such an iNveStmEnt. 14k buys quite a few H&Bs
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Ohhhh gonna be a spicy news day. I should start a punch bowl thread no one will read. :ban: :lolol: :dealwithit:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:52 am
The few ads I've seen just target the lowest common denominator

MEAT MEAT MEAT and a visual of a sandwich quadruple the size of one you'd actually get slapped together half assed by someone who hates you just for rolling into the drivethru.

I went to fast food once in the last 3 years. It was Wendy's and it was out of desperation because the wife was hangry. Chicken sandwich and fries. The fries tasted like they were made 3 days ago, left on the counter, and thrown in the microwave for 30 seconds when we ordered, and the sandwich was somhow worse. Wasn't sure if it was actually chicken or a white dish sponge that someone threw in the fryer last week and reheated yesterday (the sandwich was COLD). She ended up throwing half of it away because it was so gross, and we paid like $10 for the entire thing.

:nope:
I find James Earl Jones saying "WE HAVE THE MEATS" to be compelling theater. The only time I have gotten food poisoning was at Wendy/s
I enjoy the commercials as well... I eat Arby's a couple of times/year, they actually have some pretty good stuff. The buffalo chicken sandwich is :megusta: I like their fries too. I can live without that much beef on some bread though, I like a little salad/condiment on my bread as well.

I eat Taco Bell once a week to be honest, never hate myself after. They have good vegetarian options, it's dirt cheap, and some of the locations are pretty dece around here. Many of the fast food places have the lines Chris mentioned, but I normally just ride my bike to TB, order inside, eat on the patio, it is a pleasant experience watching the drunks in the drive through line while I enjoy my burritos and Baja Blast Zero.

Chic-Fil-A is the fuckin' worst here. Every location features a drive through line so long that it leaks into the road and creates a massive fucking traffic jam for everyone. I am of the opinion that if the line is in the road, it is unethical to stop at the food place. You are creating a huge crash risk for hundreds of innocent bystanders at worst and adding five minutes to hundreds of people's commutes at best. Chic-fil-a is pretty good, but it's not that damn good.

:disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:54 am Ohhhh gonna be a spicy news day. I should start a punch bowl thread no one will read. :ban: :lolol: :dealwithit:
Go for it. You won't see me over in the punch bowl :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:36 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:54 am Ohhhh gonna be a spicy news day. I should start a punch bowl thread no one will read. :ban: :lolol: :dealwithit:
:dat: :aintcare: World is rotten, what else is new.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

How old is the existing system?

Yay house shit. I just paid $1500 to re point the entire front of our house due to a water leak, still have to fix the water damage inside.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:33 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:06 am

I find James Earl Jones saying "WE HAVE THE MEATS" to be compelling theater. The only time I have gotten food poisoning was at Wendy/s
I enjoy the commercials as well... I eat Arby's a couple of times/year, they actually have some pretty good stuff. The buffalo chicken sandwich is :megusta: I like their fries too. I can live without that much beef on some bread though, I like a little salad/condiment on my bread as well.

I eat Taco Bell once a week to be honest, never hate myself after. They have good vegetarian options, it's dirt cheap, and some of the locations are pretty dece around here. Many of the fast food places have the lines Chris mentioned, but I normally just ride my bike to TB, order inside, eat on the patio, it is a pleasant experience watching the drunks in the drive through line while I enjoy my burritos and Baja Blast Zero.

Chic-Fil-A is the fuckin' worst here. Every location features a drive through line so long that it leaks into the road and creates a massive fucking traffic jam for everyone. I am of the opinion that if the line is in the road, it is unethical to stop at the food place. You are creating a huge crash risk for hundreds of innocent bystanders at worst and adding five minutes to hundreds of people's commutes at best. Chic-fil-a is pretty good, but it's not that damn good.

I think it should be ILLEGAL to stop in the road for a drive-thru. It's never REQUIRED to stop, just go to the next place. I've seen plenty of accidents happen outside of a Starbucks in Detroit that ALWAYS had people stopping in the right lane of Woodward with 55mph traffic. Complete idiots, and they should be ticketed for stopping.

Also here, there is no indoor dining options for fast food. I think it's staffing issues preventing the indoor area from opening, but it's literally just drive thru here. Which means pretty long waits most of the time, and then if the food comes out garbage, you have little to no recourse because the indoor area of the restaurant is locked.

So I just avoid it all. If I want a quick and easy meal, I'll stop in a sandwich place.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Chick Fil A is a mess here too. Always an enormous lineup of cars in the roadway or clogging neighboring parking lots. But then again I do not go to fast food places much anymore unless I want fries for some reason. I can't imagine living in such a manner that an outing to Chick Fil A is worth an hour wait.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Only had chick fil a once or twice. Was fine. Don’t feel the need to ever go back.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:27 am Chick Fil A is a mess here too. Always an enormous lineup of cars in the roadway or clogging neighboring parking lots. But then again I do not go to fast food places much anymore unless I want fries for some reason. I can't imagine living in such a manner that an outing to Chick Fil A is worth an hour wait.
The first one in Northern MI opened last month, and it made the news for a week straight. The county sheriff had to go direct traffic outside the location to prevent accidents.

IT'S NOT THAT GREAT but when you live in Trump land, hateful chicken sandwiches are the 2nd coming.

Our neighbors had never been to a Chick Fil A before, and they were passing by on a Tuesday at 3pm and found the drive thru empty. They tried it and were perplexed why people were so jazzed on it. "KFC is way better" they said.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I've never had Chick-filla before, can't say I wasn't intrigued but the line up at the Daytona location was also big, so we went to Jimmy John's, the place makes good sammies. We have Popeye's, and I admit that their tenders and spicy/crispy chicken burgers are 5/7, but not something anyone over 35 should be eating often.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:27 am Chick Fil A is a mess here too. Always an enormous lineup of cars in the roadway or clogging neighboring parking lots. But then again I do not go to fast food places much anymore unless I want fries for some reason. I can't imagine living in such a manner that an outing to Chick Fil A is worth an hour wait.
The first one in Northern MI opened last month, and it made the news for a week straight. The county sheriff had to go direct traffic outside the location to prevent accidents.

IT'S NOT THAT GREAT but when you live in Trump land, hateful chicken sandwiches are the 2nd coming.

Our neighbors had never been to a Chick Fil A before, and they were passing by on a Tuesday at 3pm and found the drive thru empty. They tried it and were perplexed why people were so jazzed on it. "KFC is way better" they said.
I really detest chickfla. I mean its DECENT, but its vastly overpriced and overhyped. I'll pass it up for mcdoe/wendys/burger king nuggs every fucking day of the week.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:doit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:11 am
D Griff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:33 am

I think it should be ILLEGAL to stop in the road for a drive-thru. It's never REQUIRED to stop, just go to the next place. I've seen plenty of accidents happen outside of a Starbucks in Detroit that ALWAYS had people stopping in the right lane of Woodward with 55mph traffic. Complete idiots, and they should be ticketed for stopping.

Also here, there is no indoor dining options for fast food. I think it's staffing issues preventing the indoor area from opening, but it's literally just drive thru here. Which means pretty long waits most of the time, and then if the food comes out garbage, you have little to no recourse because the indoor area of the restaurant is locked.

So I just avoid it all. If I want a quick and easy meal, I'll stop in a sandwich place.
100% :dat: It is legit dangerous and stupid. Also, I'm with :sawce: ... the food is pretty good but it's nothing special, it really doesn't warrant waiting 30 minutes and risking causing a car crash. Nor does Sbux :lolol:

The other odd thing to me is you can typically park at these places, walk in, and be served in five minutes... but god forbid you have to walk 0.05 miles to get your 1400 calorie meal of fried food.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:58 am

I really detest chickfla. I mean its DECENT, but its vastly overpriced and overhyped. I'll pass it up for mcdoe/wendys/burger king nuggs every fucking day of the week.
:macdoe: nuggs are good with the dipping :sawce: , but on their own they're fk nasty :D
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:40 am
D Griff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:36 am

:dat: :aintcare: World is rotten, what else is new.
what a time to be alive, when civil discourse is dead along with critical thinking.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm not really a KFC man... :lolol: but I agree with their point.

My opinion of the fast food chicken hierarchy:

Rasin' Canes > Zaxby's > Chic-Fil-A > Bojangles = Popeyes > KFC

That said, Chic-Fil-A would likely be last on my list to actually go to, because fuck that.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tar wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:01 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:58 am

:macdoe: nuggs are good with the dipping :sawce: , but on their own they're fk nasty :D
I mean, its an edible, cheap, quick meal that tastes ok. Thats what i want from fast food. 5 bucks for 10 nuggs at mcdoe, 50 for $10 at wendys, and like 3 with a coupon at the kings with a coupon. OR wait 20 minutes for a nearly 10 dollar 8 nug meal that is sometimes literly dripping with trans fat.

I admit i am soured on the jesus chicken from my college experice. the food options on my side of campus at uno were a shit 'convenience store' , pizza hut, and chic-fl-a. And the chick fla suckeeeeeddddd, the nugs were always literly dripping with grease, it was disgusting. I only got them once but had to watch others choke that shit down for 2 semesters. :gag:
brain go brrrrrr