OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:42 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:37 am Bought a little glass bong last night on my way home from the gym and celebrated 4/20 properly. Was fun, hadn’t smoked out of a bong in a while.

Ordered wingstop’s 420 wings, they were weird. Luckily we only got four of them, and the rest of our 20 wings were normal flavors.. Cajun, regular hot, and Korean bbq.
Some of the out there wing flavors need to :gtfo:

I prefer just regular Buffalo/hot. Barbelo is also generally pretty good. We have some places around here with :drool: smoked wings too.

I haven't sparked up (or eaten) any weed in 6 months :pouroneout:
Yeah buffalo is my go-to. That’s what their regular hot was similar too, but not as much of the tangy buffalo flavor as I would have liked.
Desertbreh

I have said this before but I do not understand wings. You take one of the sparsest protein sections/highest fat sections of a bland meat and then coat it in more calories and spice? I'll just a take a cheeseburger :bruh:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

I have said this before but I do not understand wings. You take one of the sparsest protein sections/highest fat sections of a bland meat and then coat it in more calories and spice? I'll just a take a cheeseburger :bruh:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Twice for emphasis.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:54 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:43 am

Out of curiosity :doe: , what is it you're seeking where you feel like you 'can't get ahead?' I mean, from my perspective, you have a dope ass house, you seem to have the means to consider a second home out west somewhere, you've had a string of very cool cars, own a boat, etc.
Do you even DFD? Having a nice life is meaningless! Where is money for a Ferrari 430, a second boob job for the wife, a Diesel sportfisherman instead of a Gayliner, a 5 car heated garage, infinite funds to travel to Europe? Once again your humble Charlotte roots and positive thinking reveal how truly pedestrian your world view truly is! And let us NOT EVEN be grateful about just being healthy when we can instead resent our parents for hoarding their wealth because they stopped smoking Marlboros.
POTD
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:00 am I have said this before but I do not understand wings. You take one of the sparsest protein sections/highest fat sections of a bland meat and then coat it in more calories and spice? I'll just a take a cheeseburger :bruh:
They are great if you are doing keto/low carb/ type diets. I love me some wings, but i will also add buffalo sauce and ranch to just about anything given the craving for it.

Also, hate on the chicken wing, but dont discount the buffalo chicken salad.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:00 am I have said this before but I do not understand wings. You take one of the sparsest protein sections/highest fat sections of a bland meat and then coat it in more calories and spice? I'll just a take a cheeseburger :bruh:
These were boneless :iono: so just chicken nuggets coated in sauce.

Agreed doe, I’d rather have a burger for sure. Wanted to try the novelty flavor; it wasn’t worth it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I mostly just enjoy the sauces more than anything, wings are a genius marketing ploy that is also a vessel for dank sauces.

I'd say a wrap/sandwich with grilled chicken, buffalo sauce, and blue cheese is an even better vessel.

Burger is the ultimate food, this is no question.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:57 am
Tar wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:55 am

I celebrated once the kids were asleep, complimented with a video gaming sesh. Smart Food White Cheddar popcorn and a vodka/soda bevy quenched the food cravings. I probably stayed up one hour longer then I should have... productivity is lagging a bit today. :ohwell:
I buttered up some toast after the wings and fries were gone. Hit one of the slices with some strawberry jam. :drool: also stayed up an hour or so later than I should have. Need to stop doing that and start going to bed earlier.
Any time I partake in any substance, weed, alcohol, etc. I wind up staying up too late. Sober I'm in bed by 9:30.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:54 am

Out of curiosity :doe: , what is it you're seeking where you feel like you 'can't get ahead?' I mean, from my perspective, you have a dope ass house, you seem to have the means to consider a second home out west somewhere, you've had a string of very cool cars, own a boat, etc.
Do you even DFD? Having a nice life is meaningless! Where is money for a Ferrari 430, a second boob job for the wife, a Diesel sportfisherman instead of a Gayliner, a 5 car heated garage, infinite funds to travel to Europe? Once again your humble Charlotte roots and positive thinking reveal how truly pedestrian your world view truly is! And let us NOT EVEN be grateful about just being healthy when we can instead resent our parents for hoarding their wealth because they stopped smoking Marlboros.
:notwrong:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:20 am
Taxing 401k is double taxation, no way around it. Then people will just dump everything into Roths where the real rich money is made tax free. I'm sick of the .gov thinking they can control people when they can't. Loopholes will always exist and always be exploited, just simplify things so it's better for everyone.

What :rage: me the most is I just feel like I can't get ahead. Started off behind in 08 like you mentioned, and every time I feel like I'm getting there, some new event happens. I just need to :aintcare: more.
The house is a POS. We knew that going into it, and I figured I'd work on it. Well, the new job has been ridiculous, so I don't have the time or desire to do house shit, and I can't hire anyone to lift a finger for less than $100k (which I don't have). So wife bitches at me constantly about how shitty the house is (and she's not wrong, I actually agree) and just feel stuck. Honestly debating cashing out and selling the place to a rich who would buy it for $500k, dump $500k into it, and have a $2M house. The wealth in my area is just insanity, and we get mowed over for being comparatively poor. This area has significantly lost its luster for me as it's rapidly transitioning to some fancy :waxer: area that's destroying what made us want to be here in the first place. Sad, but that's the way the world is now. I've heard people say the same thing about Denver and other such areas in Colorado and the northwest.

That all aside, I need to stop paying attention to the other side of the fence. Online financial "experts" and fancy infographics designed to make everyone feel poor. I try to ignore that stuff, but it just seems to pop up all over randomly (and where I live doesn't help). I guess I'm more comfortable being a big fish in a small pond sort of thing, but I just don't feel like I fit in anywhere at all. Too rich to be poor, too poor to be rich.

Add to all of this 6months of solid gray skies driving some of the worst SAD the wife and I have ever experienced (I didn't know it could be so bad), and the overall feeling of being left behind and general :eeyore: is pretty massive.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:03 am
Tar wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:43 am It all comes down to who owns property/inflation resilient goods. The olds have had 70 yrs to buy and pay off land and home, and inflation is driving those prices above what's affordable for the average :millennial: . Gen X, which is where I'm sitting (over 40 yrs old) has been in the work force for 15+ years and has also benefitted from inflation hedging assets, that's why they are worth almost 50% of the baby boomer crowd. :millennials: got shafted, and they should be looking at government spending and left ideological policies to explain current inflation trends.
:dat:

:iono: I've said it many times, but I've never seen as many rich dudes complain about being poor as DFD.

It is 100% normal for olds to be sitting on assets, they have 40 year mature 401Ks, property(ies) that should be paid off, probably keep stuff like cars longer because they become :aintcare: with time, even those who wasted money on lots of toys are 'benefitting' from the weird inflated values. Hell, we own two vehicles we paid a total of < $60K for that we could sell to Carvana for $60K+ today after 2-4 years of service. Olds are in the same boat but likely with more expensive shit they've held longer (and more likely paid off than people my age, we have a note on the Jeep).

My own parents are now significantly wealthier than they ever were when my dad was working. They have a $600K house they bought for $200K 13 years ago. Someday when they're gone I guess I'll get to split that with my three siblings, so we'll each get a couple hunnit K. All of these California, Toronto, Northeast, etc. people will inherit homes worth significantly more.

Nothing has changed as drastically as people seem to think it has. If you are not completely dumb, your wealth/'worth' will go up over time if you have any type of reasonable start to speak of.
All :dat:
Seems pretty as expected to me. Olds have more money because they've had more years to accrue it in various ways. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:44 am

The house is a POS. We knew that going into it, and I figured I'd work on it. Well, the new job has been ridiculous, so I don't have the time or desire to do house shit, and I can't hire anyone to lift a finger for less than $100k (which I don't have). So wife bitches at me constantly about how shitty the house is (and she's not wrong, I actually agree) and just feel stuck. Honestly debating cashing out and selling the place to a rich who would buy it for $500k, dump $500k into it, and have a $2M house. The wealth in my area is just insanity, and we get mowed over for being comparatively poor. This area has significantly lost its luster for me as it's rapidly transitioning to some fancy :waxer: area that's destroying what made us want to be here in the first place. Sad, but that's the way the world is now. I've heard people say the same thing about Denver and other such areas in Colorado and the northwest.

That all aside, I need to stop paying attention to the other side of the fence. Online financial "experts" and fancy infographics designed to make everyone feel poor. I try to ignore that stuff, but it just seems to pop up all over randomly (and where I live doesn't help). I guess I'm more comfortable being a big fish in a small pond sort of thing, but I just don't feel like I fit in anywhere at all. Too rich to be poor, too poor to be rich.

Add to all of this 6months of solid gray skies driving some of the worst SAD the wife and I have ever experienced (I didn't know it could be so bad), and the overall feeling of being left behind and general :eeyore: is pretty massive.
I am kind of :mindblown: that TC, Meatchicken is booming like this, a land where it is grey/shit for 6+ months/year (although it does look beautiful). Some of your stories are shocking, like not being able to get into restaurants on week nights. We have places that are packed seven days a week but plenty of tables open all over the place with many different options for food. I've found the same in places I've been recently - Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, Houston, etc.

I think these 'vacation destinations' booming are kind of a weird niche where so many people have moved to them to work remote and the local economies can't really support.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:36 am
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:51 pm

They will not actually... the capital keeps moving towards the olds.

It says right in your chart that a 68 Trillion dollar wealth transfer will occur by 2030. Nine more years homie.
Of course they will croak at some point... the bigger point is that the SYSTEM is stacked against the young and continues to be more and MORE so. As you can see the old hold more and MORE wealth in this country while the young get relatively poorer and poorer.

yes olds are richer than young, that's nothing new and THAT makes sense. But they are getting richer and RICHER while the sub 59 year olds are getting squeezed
Last edited by max225 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:50 am

I am kind of :mindblown: that TC, Meatchicken is booming like this, a land where it is grey/shit for 6+ months/year (although it does look beautiful). Some of your stories are shocking, like not being able to get into restaurants on week nights. We have places that are packed seven days a week but plenty of tables open all over the place with many different options for food. I've found the same in places I've been recently - Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, Houston, etc.

I think these 'vacation destinations' booming are kind of a weird niche where so many people have moved to them to work remote and the local economies can't really support.
Yea I was shocked by the Florida "2 hour wait" for mediocre food... Kind of :mindblown: considering it's FLORIDA. We don't have these issues in Cali at all... even the fanciest places are walk in...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:37 am I mostly just enjoy the sauces more than anything, wings are a genius marketing ploy that is also a vessel for dank sauces.

I'd say a wrap/sandwich with grilled chicken, buffalo sauce, and blue cheese is an even better vessel.

Burger is the ultimate food, this is no question.
Wrap is the best way to eat chicken IMO. I love that way.

Burger is peak food, but :fatty:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:39 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:57 am

I buttered up some toast after the wings and fries were gone. Hit one of the slices with some strawberry jam. :drool: also stayed up an hour or so later than I should have. Need to stop doing that and start going to bed earlier.
Any time I partake in any substance, weed, alcohol, etc. I wind up staying up too late. Sober I'm in bed by 9:30.
8:30 is my idea bed time, but michelle likes to stay up later, so I usually give her some extra time and stay up with her since I’m generally busy/distracted during the day with work and bbing.
max225

Those are some geriatric bed times my dudes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:54 am

Yea I was shocked by the Florida "2 hour wait" for mediocre food... Kind of :mindblown: considering it's FLORIDA. We don't have these issues in Cali at all... even the fanciest places are walk in...
I haven't really run into this on my recent trips to FL, but it likely depends on where you are.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

THANK YOU
As you probably remember, wings were never a thing when I was young. They were waste bits of the bird that likely went into pet food. Then someone got a genius idea and marketed them as bar/finger/snack food. They've always been :butwhy: to me. What's next? I half expect to be in a bar some day and get a crispy bowl of beaks with various available flavorings put in front of me.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:02 pm Those are some geriatric bed times my dudes.
:iono: if I get up early I am generally very productive - I can get work done undisturbed, walk the :doge: , exercise, etc. If I'm up past 9 PM it's pretty much guaranteed nothing is getting done but reading, watching TV, eating, or drinking.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:52 am
Tar wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:36 am

It says right in your chart that a 68 Trillion dollar wealth transfer will occur by 2030. Nine more years homie.
Of course they will croak at some point... the bigger point is that the SYSTEM is stacked against the young and continues to be more and MORE so. As you can see the old hold more and MORE wealth in this country while the young get relatively poorer and poorer.

yes olds are richer than young, that's nothing new and THAT makes sense. But they are getting richer and RICHER while the sub 59 year olds are getting squeezed
Agreed, and it's frustrating as hell. :sad:
I think that the root cause of the young getting relatively poorer is rampant inflation. Assets going up as the spending power is going down. When your boy Biden signs into effect another 4 Trillion to keep his pet projects afloat, you'll know who's really paying for it. The gov is addicted to printing money at astronomical rates to keep themselves from imploding.

I'm terrified of what's going to happen in the future, as the stakes are raised every four years. What I should probably do is dump the rental property and reduce debt as much as possible, but I'd have loose cash that I don't really even want to hold, plus I'm playing the long game (multi-generational) and want to get my kids and their kids out of the rat race. I definitely won't be able to carry 1980s like interest rates, that's for sure.
ChrisoftheNorth

NYC is fine, we had no issues in DC last week, hell I even got good service in Detroit last week. Most areas are fine now.

It's these vacation destinations that blew up with permanent remote residents, without the service economy or infrastructure to support any of it. Service people are leaving because they can't afford to live here, but there's more demand than ever for their services. We went to our weekly "burger deal" at the bar at our local fancy place last night and it was PACKED (the entire restaurant, not just the bar). On a fucking Wednesday night in April when the weather sucks so no tourists, all local :waxer: . Most of them new to the area when we chat them up. This is a place where you're not getting out for less than $150/person, people acting like it's Applebees.

All of the cheaper places are either raising prices to be fancy or closing because they can't get people to work. Prices are at parity with NYC and NYC restaurant experiences are VASTLY superior in every way. We can't go out anymore really without planning way in advance, which defeats the purpose. The character of this place has changed so drastically in just the 2 years we've been here, it's crazy. It's a different world compared to the place we fell in love with 10 years ago when we first came.

This is why I feel so behind, because in every objective measure I'm exposed to, I am.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:05 pm

NYC is fine, we had no issues in DC last week, hell I even got good service in Detroit last week. Most areas are fine now.

It's these vacation destinations that blew up with permanent remote residents, without the service economy or infrastructure to support any of it. Service people are leaving because they can't afford to live here, but there's more demand than ever for their services. We went to our weekly "burger deal" at the bar at our local fancy place last night and it was PACKED (the entire restaurant, not just the bar). On a fucking Wednesday night in April when the weather sucks so no tourists, all local :waxer: . Most of them new to the area when we chat them up. This is a place where you're not getting out for less than $150/person, people acting like it's Applebees.

All of the cheaper places are either raising prices to be fancy or closing because they can't get people to work. Prices are at parity with NYC and NYC restaurant experiences are VASTLY superior in every way. We can't go out anymore really without planning way in advance, which defeats the purpose. The character of this place has changed so drastically in just the 2 years we've been here, it's crazy. It's a different world compared to the place we fell in love with 10 years ago when we first came.

This is why I feel so behind, because in every objective measure I'm exposed to, I am.
Yep that was my observation as well with going to middle of no where. I don't understand places that have "California" pricing without "California" pay. It made it very unappealing for me. NYC and California are experiencing similar trends btw... Fancy places are fairly price stable and trying to get their customers back... and a lot of those customers in fact did move to Timbuktu. On what planet should an apartment in Miami cost more than in SF to rent?

People have money yes, but they are spending it rapidly. And 100k is really 50k in todays world so it won't last anywhere as long as most think. That said... prices will start to adjust downward in the later part of the year. Demand will no longer exceed supply.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm :mindblown: too. It's insanely gorgeous for 6-8 months of the year, but the rest of the time is misery. I think a lot of people moved here seeing Insta photos of the bays in the summer and "cheap" property, without realizing the misery of year-round residency. Even I underestimated the misery, or maybe SAD is having more of an impact on me as I age.

I suspect we'll see people leave just as quickly as they came after experiencing a few years. And they'll make out like bandits on their properties, so it was worth it for them. I'm a bit concerned that this could happen to a lot of vacation destinations, which will decimate them for decades to come.