OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:06 pm

Another annoying part. I put the deposit with the original company on a credit card, and was told I could pay the balance on the card when they came to pick up our shit. Dude refused the credit card and said cash, cashiers check, or Venmo only. :dafuq:
Dang that sucks. might be able to fight for deposit at least.

You are a huge dude, on the unload, once your shit is off the truck, tell them credit card or fuck off with nothing till this is settled. Its not like they will load your shit back on the truck.
Haha I was hoping not to have to leverage that, but it’s definitely my back up plan.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 am

Dang that sucks. might be able to fight for deposit at least.

You are a huge dude, on the unload, once your shit is off the truck, tell them credit card or fuck off with nothing till this is settled. Its not like they will load your shit back on the truck.
Haha I was hoping not to have to leverage that, but it’s definitely my back up plan.
Tip the actual guys moving your shit well tho, thats hard work. They didnt do anything wrong. Then....they wont gaf or be slightly on your side ;)
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:01 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32 am
Tip the actual guys moving your shit well tho, thats hard work. They didnt do anything wrong. Then....they wont gaf or be slightly on your side ;)
Yup! They only brought two dudes to load our shit into the truck in SD, plus the supervisor who was running the numbers. Hit the two dudes doing the actual labor with $40 each, planning on doing the same for the guys unloading the truck here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:52 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:01 am

Yup! They only brought two dudes to load our shit into the truck in SD, plus the supervisor who was running the numbers. Hit the two dudes doing the actual labor with $40 each, planning on doing the same for the guys unloading the truck here.
I think I posted way back what I tipped, was alot, but we had alot more shit (we filled the 26' and a trailer and 4 vehicles. to the brim. )

It was for me simply a case of "this didn't cost enough for the level of work" and supplemented accordingly.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:01 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:52 am

I think I posted way back what I tipped, was alot, but we had alot more shit (we filled the 26' and a trailer and 4 vehicles. to the brim. )

It was for me simply a case of "this didn't cost enough for the level of work" and supplemented accordingly.
Oh dang. Yeah that’s a lot of stuff to pack. These dudes knocked out loading the truck up in under 2 hours, so I figured $20/hr was decent on top of whatever hourly rate their company was paying them.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Sawce, hope you get your stuff back man. This is why I don't trust anyone to do work, the disfunction and dishonesty is :impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Highly productive WFH morning, 3/6 tasks complete... But I feel like the second half will be less so.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 am Sawce, hope you get your stuff back man. This is why I don't trust anyone to do work, the disfunction and dishonesty is :impressive:
I'm a bit hesitant to share this as I don't want :sawce: worrying... but one of my wife's friends/coworkers and her husband recently moved. They had a second CF and wanted a bit more space, so they moved maybe 3-4 miles further out of town, very local move. Their shit all got loaded onto a :truk: and they went about their way to the new house. The goods needed to be stored for a few weeks due to timelines in the closings. Well, fast forward two months and they've been in the new house for weeks, no sign of their shit. They call the movers daily, essentially crickets. They were told 'we're looking for it but can't find your container', other :bs: like that. This went on for months. Finally they hired a lawyer, and all of the sudden, the movers find their stuff! What a nightmare :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:28 am Highly productive WFH morning, 3/6 tasks complete... But I feel like the second half will be less so.
Pretty productive here as well, finally feel out of the hole I was buried in last week. Miami was a slammed schedule on the road.

I should be in good shape for Tampa and Orlando next week.

I think tomorrow will be my first bike ride in 2.5 months, pretty dang stoked about that.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:36 am
Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 am Sawce, hope you get your stuff back man. This is why I don't trust anyone to do work, the disfunction and dishonesty is :impressive:
I'm a bit hesitant to share this as I don't want :sawce: worrying... but one of my wife's friends/coworkers and her husband recently moved. They had a second CF and wanted a bit more space, so they moved maybe 3-4 miles further out of town, very local move. Their shit all got loaded onto a :truk: and they went about their way to the new house. The goods needed to be stored for a few weeks due to timelines in the closings. Well, fast forward two months and they've been in the new house for weeks, no sign of their shit. They call the movers daily, essentially crickets. They were told 'we're looking for it but can't find your container', other :bs: like that. This went on for months. Finally they hired a lawyer, and all of the sudden, the movers find their stuff! What a nightmare :disgust:
Unfortunately, this situation is ripe for scammers. People are usually pretty fried and thus vulnerable during a move, and scammy people can take major advantage. Scum of the earth if you ask me.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to :sauce: Positive vibes breh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:28 am Highly productive WFH morning, 3/6 tasks complete... But I feel like the second half will be less so.
I spent the morning writing SQL queries and learning along the way in a new database structure. Productive I guess?

Not at all my job, and I've got tight deadlines for Q2 roadmaps (yep, Q2 that started friday) that is my job, but nobody else is going to do the SQL stuff unless I want to pull people off more important projects.

This job is going to burn me into the ground.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:41 am
Pretty productive here as well, finally feel out of the hole I was buried in last week. Miami was a slammed schedule on the road.

I think tomorrow will be my first bike ride in 2.5 months, pretty dang stoked about that.
Dang, I want to ride my bike. Maybe I'll pull it out along with the kids bikes and get us all outside after their school today. Great idea, thx
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SO I've actually been chatting offline with :sawce: about some audio gear he's setting up in his new place.

As y'all likely know, I have access to a huge amount of AV and other home electronics at my company at cost. We manufacture our own lines of speakers, amplifiers, and tons of other shit and also distribute brands like Yamaha, Denon, Klipsch, etc.

Curious if anyone else enjoys AV stuff and has embarked on installing it in their homes. I am debating pulling the trigger on doing whole home audio and maybe some lighting automation as it would cost me next to nothing other than my time. My only hang up is the feeling that we likely won't stay in the house for the long haul. That said, it's been 2.5 years with no sign of moving on really. I would love a garage and :tits: a bit more space, but they aren't needs. If we don't end up ever having CF, we may just stay for the long haul.

Anyhow, my business at work all involves commercial projects, but we certainly have all of these products for home. Any horror stories or successes with putting speakers in the ceilings of your houses or other such nonsense?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:51 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:41 am

Dang, I want to ride my bike. Maybe I'll pull it out along with the kids bikes and get us all outside after their school today. Great idea, thx
:doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:09 pm SO I've actually been chatting offline with :sawce: about some audio gear he's setting up in his new place.

As y'all likely know, I have access to a huge amount of AV and other home electronics at my company at cost. We manufacture our own lines of speakers, amplifiers, and tons of other shit and also distribute brands like Yamaha, Denon, Klipsch, etc.

Curious if anyone else enjoys AV stuff and has embarked on installing it in their homes. I am debating pulling the trigger on doing whole home audio and maybe some lighting automation as it would cost me next to nothing other than my time. My only hang up is the feeling that we likely won't stay in the house for the long haul. That said, it's been 2.5 years with no sign of moving on really. I would love a garage and :tits: a bit more space, but they aren't needs. If we don't end up ever having CF, we may just stay for the long haul.

Anyhow, my business at work all involves commercial projects, but we certainly have all of these products for home. Any horror stories or successes with putting speakers in the ceilings of your houses or other such nonsense?
We did whole home audio with Sonos. Still pretty happy with it overall, but I know they're shits to work with on the business side, and there's probably better products. Using the :scrooge: Ikea units can really save money when you're putting speakers in rooms where sound quality isn't the top priority. But the cost doesn't matter to you in this case, so whatever.

We wandered into a high end AV shop a few weekends ago, and the dude was head over heels for Bluesound as a Sonos replacement. Apparently far better integration with home automation stuff, and more robust support for speakers other than their own (amps and whatnot). If I didn't have so much Sonos stuff, I'd probably consider this.

I've experienced in ceiling/wall speakers over the years, and they're usually pretty terrible. You can't just slap a speaker in the wall and let it rip. It needs some sort of in wall enclosure to sound good. At that point, it's a pretty major tear up, and makes me :butwhy: when you could just plug in a Sonos (or equivalent) speaker and hang it on the wall. Will sound better and far easier to set up.

I'd place priority on a company with a robust WiFi network and broad line-up that plays nice with other automation things. Bluesound for example makes amps, receivers, sound bars, bookshelf speakers, etc. I think you said Yamaha does the same. The biggest thing is to avoid spending a bunch on things that will be forced obsolete in some time. Nice speakers and amps by themselves don't die. I'm still rocking my dad's 45 year old Sansui 9090db and Infinity Q4 speakers and they sound :mindblown: I've got a Sonos connect on it through the AUX RCAs so it can even play wifi stuff. THAT'S the way IMO.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:09 pm SO I've actually been chatting offline with :sawce: about some audio gear he's setting up in his new place.

I am really into it... but what sort of install/labor do they take. I am currently using bluetooth speakers in the living room and while they are $400 speakers they are still kinda... EH... and unsightly
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:42 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:36 am

Unfortunately, this situation is ripe for scammers. People are usually pretty fried and thus vulnerable during a move, and scammy people can take major advantage. Scum of the earth if you ask me.

I feel like the real lesson here is to pare things down to a money clip with $1000 cash, one credit card, and a Glock. Then start fresh in the new location.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:54 pm

We did whole home audio with Sonos. Still pretty happy with it overall, but I know they're shits to work with on the business side, and there's probably better products. Using the :scrooge: Ikea units can really save money when you're putting speakers in rooms where sound quality isn't the top priority. But the cost doesn't matter to you in this case, so whatever.

We wandered into a high end AV shop a few weekends ago, and the dude was head over heels for Bluesound as a Sonos replacement. Apparently far better integration with home automation stuff, and more robust support for speakers other than their own (amps and whatnot). If I didn't have so much Sonos stuff, I'd probably consider this.

I've experienced in ceiling/wall speakers over the years, and they're usually pretty terrible. You can't just slap a speaker in the wall and let it rip. It needs some sort of in wall enclosure to sound good. At that point, it's a pretty major tear up, and makes me :butwhy: when you could just plug in a Sonos (or equivalent) speaker and hang it on the wall. Will sound better and far easier to set up.

I'd place priority on a company with a robust WiFi network and broad line-up that plays nice with other automation things. Bluesound for example makes amps, receivers, sound bars, bookshelf speakers, etc. I think you said Yamaha does the same. The biggest thing is to avoid spending a bunch on things that will be forced obsolete in some time. Nice speakers and amps by themselves don't die. I'm still rocking my dad's 45 year old Sansui 9090db and Infinity Q4 speakers and they sound :mindblown: I've got a Sonos connect on it through the AUX RCAs so it can even play wifi stuff. THAT'S the way IMO.
We also :waxer: on sonos for the house, its nice stuff and works well.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:42 am

I feel like the real lesson here is to pare things down to a money clip with $1000 cash, one credit card, and a Glock. Then start fresh in the new location.
:lol: :lol: :lol: classic
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:54 pm

We also :waxer: on sonos for the house, its nice stuff and works well.
My only beef is the app experience. It's still not that great, and it seems to be degrading over time.

Example:
They recently changed volume settings for speaker groups...they added some numeric values and...not sure what else TBH. Well, when we play music on the living Arc after watching TV the night before, the volume differential can be insane, and we often BLAST ourselves out of the room. Previously, you could turn the volume down quickly and NBD. NOW with the "upgrade" the volume is stuck for a good 10-15 seconds before you can turn it down. When it's cranked to 11, 10-15 seconds feels like an eternity. The best work-around is to run to one of the speakers and hit pause, which is nearly instantaneous, then make the volume adjustment.

To cope, we're trying to remember to turn the volume down after watching TV, but we still frequently forget. There's no other way to prevent this from happening. IT USED TO BE FINE.

I've also had some weirdness with app integrations that didn't used to happen. I feel like their product team is spending more time trying to figure out how to get more money out of us than keep the user experience solid.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sonos is probably the best in the business as a standalone product, although it's interesting to hear that the app is getting worse. Maybe it's like Apple where you're expected to buy the new hardware as it comes out for the app to still work right. That wouldn't surprise me as they are a cunty company as I've mentioned (we are a Sonos distributor, I've sold a shit ton of it even into commercial settings). We also own/manufacture Control4 and Sonos is kind of a bitch with allowing driver development for Control4 and other automation platforms like Crestron.

Our current setup with MusicCast (Yamaha) is pretty similar - we have their small speakers (like the Sonos One) in the kitchen and bedroom, their sub/sound bar in the living room, and a networked Yamaha receiver powering the speakers on the patio.

My thought is actually doing in-ceiling speakers in some of the areas because I can get them for near free and then I will at least be living with products that we manufacture. Also since we're in a one story, it wouldn't be hard to wire, everything could just be in the attic, easy to use back boxes as well if needed. I am just hesitant to cut a bunch of holes in the ceiling, I feel like it probably takes value from the house, but maybe it's net neutral. We also have our own networking product line so I could do a kickass network but frankly the AT&T all in one does just fine for 1050 sq. ft.

I do think it would be neat to get the Control4 lighting products and maybe throw the living room TV on a controller.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:40 pm Sonos is probably the best in the business as a standalone product, although it's interesting to hear that the app is getting worse. Maybe it's like Apple where you're expected to buy the new hardware as it comes out for the app to still work right. That wouldn't surprise me as they are a cunty company as I've mentioned (we are a Sonos distributor, I've sold a shit ton of it even into commercial settings). We also own/manufacture Control4 and Sonos is kind of a bitch with allowing driver development for Control4 and other automation platforms like Crestron.

Our current setup with MusicCast (Yamaha) is pretty similar - we have their small speakers (like the Sonos One) in the kitchen and bedroom, their sub/sound bar in the living room, and a networked Yamaha receiver powering the speakers on the patio.

My thought is actually doing in-ceiling speakers in some of the areas because I can get them for near free and then I will at least be living with products that we manufacture. Also since we're in a one story, it wouldn't be hard to wire, everything could just be in the attic, easy to use back boxes as well if needed. I am just hesitant to cut a bunch of holes in the ceiling, I feel like it probably takes value from the house, but maybe it's net neutral. We also have our own networking product line so I could do a kickass network but frankly the AT&T all in one does just fine for 1050 sq. ft.

I do think it would be neat to get the Control4 lighting products and maybe throw the living room TV on a controller.
Built-in speakers don't necessarily add value, but buyers can certainly get :fuckyeah: about them so I don't think they'll hurt anything either. On our last house, I installed some outdoor speakers on the porch, and the buyers put in the offer that they wanted them. :lolol: I wasn't going to take them anyway, but after accepting the offer, the realtor reached out asking how they're wired because the buyers were really excited about them. OK then.

Biggest issue to me is they just don't sound that great, and I suspect it could have something to do with placement in the ceiling. As home theater surrounds, they work well, but to listen to music? :notsure: It's quite a bit of work for questionable benefit IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:40 pm Sonos is probably the best in the business as a standalone product, although it's interesting to hear that the app is getting worse. Maybe it's like Apple where you're expected to buy the new hardware as it comes out for the app to still work right. That wouldn't surprise me as they are a cunty company as I've mentioned (we are a Sonos distributor, I've sold a shit ton of it even into commercial settings). We also own/manufacture Control4 and Sonos is kind of a bitch with allowing driver development for Control4 and other automation platforms like Crestron.

Built-in speakers don't necessarily add value, but buyers can certainly get :fuckyeah: about them so I don't think they'll hurt anything either. On our last house, I installed some outdoor speakers on the porch, and the buyers put in the offer that they wanted them. :lolol: I wasn't going to take them anyway, but after accepting the offer, the realtor reached out asking how they're wired because the buyers were really excited about them. OK then.

Biggest issue to me is they just don't sound that great, and I suspect it could have something to do with placement in the ceiling. As home theater surrounds, they work well, but to listen to music? :notsure: It's quite a bit of work for questionable benefit IMO.
I think I'd do a 5.1 system in the living room, :notsure: if I'd do speakers in any other rooms, particularly since we already have the Yamaha stand alone :dill: s.

The outdoor setup is the one thing I really do love, I have surface mount speakers in the eaves of my house and an outdoor TV on the patio, all free from work :notbad: :scrooge:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:54 pm

I think I'd do a 5.1 system in the living room, :notsure: if I'd do speakers in any other rooms, particularly since we already have the Yamaha stand alone :dill: s.

The outdoor setup is the one thing I really do love, I have surface mount speakers in the eaves of my house and an outdoor TV on the patio, all free from work :notbad: :scrooge:
running wires to the eves is the absolute worst part about running shit in the attic
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:14 pm

running wires to the eves is the absolute worst part about running shit in the attic
I ran those mostly outside :lolol: Lazy life. You can't see them though, they're nice and tucked up in there.