Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:11 am GR Corolla reveal Thursday 3/31. :excited: :popcorn:

I've been looking forward to this one for a while...

:megusta:

I could want one.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:11 am GR Corolla reveal Thursday 3/31. :excited: :popcorn:

I've been looking forward to this one for a while...

:gonbgud:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:dat: tire shine!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:28 am :dat: tire shine!
So glossy
max225

This is interesting used cars now spend MORE time on the lot than PRE Pandemic. Aligning with our own small data sources here.

This is also interesting. For those saying it hasn't been "2 years" first run up started right around Late May 2020 for used vehicles... so here we are. We are starting to see a bucking of the normal trend for this time of year... and depreciation is picking up.

This is also epic... I have no idea who is still dying to buy a new car. Peak un-affordability.

But we're slowly coming down from the peak on the new cars
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

The argument that the GR Corolla is AWD has me contemplating it for the actual daily I need to get at the end of the year.

I’m first on the list again for one and we’ll see what happens 🤷‍♂️

GR all the things.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:44 pm The argument that the GR Corolla is AWD has me contemplating it for the actual daily I need to get at the end of the year.

GR all the things.
AWD makes it more usable for me as well. I'm so :popcorn: for this release.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:44 pm The argument that the GR Corolla is AWD has me contemplating it for the actual daily I need to get at the end of the year.

GR all the things.
A 300 hp AWD hatch with buttons and a water pump that lasts longer than a tampon. What a time to be alive.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:07 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 am
A 300 hp AWD hatch with buttons and a water pump that lasts longer than a tampon. What a time to be alive.
You could have had all that in a German built focus and 350hp as well as dorifto mode… but no.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 pm This is interesting used cars now spend MORE time on the lot than PRE Pandemic. Aligning with our own small data sources here.

This is also interesting. For those saying it hasn't been "2 years" first run up started right around Late May 2020 for used vehicles... so here we are. We are starting to see a bucking of the normal trend for this time of year... and depreciation is picking up.

This is also epic... I have no idea who is still dying to buy a new car. Peak un-affordability.

But we're slowly coming down from the peak on the new cars
Days supply is a great measure of demand, and it's the insane prices probably depressing demand and forcing these things to sit.

Better, as this number goes up, prices come down. Dealers will start to lose their asses with most inventory on loan, and they'll need to move metal. I've only heard anecdotal evidence of days supply for new cars, and it's still pretty shitty. Sure ATPs are down, but just barely. That can also be an indicator of vehicle mix (more cheaper cars selling).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:27 am

You could have had all that in a German built focus and 350hp as well as dorifto mode… but no.
:nope: Ferd
max225

:( always the ferd hate. Appreciate the hatch for what it was. It was recalled and fixed properly. Now that vehicle will always deserve a place in history as likely the only American German built hot hatch with 350hp. From a company that no longer makes cars.

And it came in a killer blue !
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:32 am
:nope: Ferd
Yeah, :dat:

I know they ultimately fixed the head gasket issue but man, what a fuck up that was.
Head gasket, and I've read anecdotally that they can have a ton of little to big other random issues that pop up. Seems like you can get a good one or a bad one, no consistency. Common Ferd.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:24 am :( always the ferd hate. Appreciate the hatch for what it was. It was recalled and fixed properly. Now that vehicle will always deserve a place in history as likely the only American German built hot hatch with 350hp. From a company that no longer makes cars.

For sure cool and noteworthy, just not something I'd ever buy.
max225

I’m kinda kicking myself for not doing it … it was a full 10k more than my mini… which is now a full 20k more but oh well. I was 🤏🏻
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:27 am

Yep that car was hot af
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:24 am :( always the ferd hate. Appreciate the hatch for what it was. It was recalled and fixed properly. Now that vehicle will always deserve a place in history as likely the only American German built hot hatch with 350hp. From a company that no longer makes cars.

I think you and I are the only people here who have actually driven one, and I will back you up on this, the car is fucking sweet. I should have bought one as well, I thought it was outrageous because it was just under MSRP used at the time, little did I know I could’ve made 10k if I had just bought it. Same with the civic type R.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My Cammie rental this week is treating me quite well. It DOES have CarPlay, it also has the less crappy seats. One of my favorite features is actually that it has a KEY! Finally, a car where I don’t leave the keys in the car every fucking day.

Slow as balls though.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:32 pm My Cammie rental this week is treating me quite well. It DOES have CarPlay, it also has the less crappy seats. One of my favorite features is actually that it has a KEY! Finally, a car where I don’t leave the keys in the car every fucking day.

Slow as balls though.
:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:32 pm My Cammie rental this week is treating me quite well. It DOES have CarPlay, it also has the less crappy seats. One of my favorite features is actually that it has a KEY! Finally, a car where I don’t leave the keys in the car every fucking day.

Slow as balls though.
They are kamfy AF, eh.
You have the 2.5NA motor, no turbro means you're back in the 1990s and early 2000s type acceleration. I bet some really happy new American ends up buying that car at an auction one day and drives it for 12 to 17 yrs NFG
max225

Slow as balls though.
What’s your spec ?!
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:30 pm

I think you and I are the only people here who have actually driven one, and I will back you up on this, the car is fucking sweet. I should have bought one as well, I thought it was outrageous because it was just under MSRP used at the time, little did I know I could’ve made 10k if I had just bought it. Same with the civic type R.
:thankyou:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:57 pm

Slow as balls though.
What’s your spec ?!
I’ll have to see if it has any badging on the back, it is pretty basic but it does have CarPlay. That may just be an activation thing like Chris mentioned. It does have the nicer seats like Mario’s though and a leather steering wheel. I think those two things make it feel a lot nice or than the one you had, rubber steering wheels are heinous in 2022.

The fuel economy is indeed great, I’m at 32 average for the trip which has been like 200 miles in South Florida’s terrible traffic. Plus flooring it everywhere just to get by.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This thing is pretty gnarly... I would love to have this if I weren't playing lead role in "Married With Children".

https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-veh ... 42jJIu9NEU
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:52 am This thing is pretty gnarly... I would love to have this if I weren't playing lead role in "Married With Children".

https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-veh ... 42jJIu9NEU
Yea, I'm so ridiculously :fuckyeah: for this thing. Looking forward to more details tonight. :excited: