Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:02 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:55 am

There used to be a big MTB festival at Brown County State Park every fall prior to COVID and they'd have probably ~10 different manufacturers bring in demo fleets and you could ride anything you wanted. It was amazing, and also how I chose the Trance. Unfortunately the trails there were much more suited to the Trance than the ones here within 30 minutes of my house, but something like that is 100% necessary to actually buy the right bike unless you're a YouTuber who does reviews and gets loaners all the time.
:dat:

No different than cars, really. Everything will seem awesome when you're working with some old ass shit and try the new goodness.

That was what was cool with the demos I've seen at a local park here, taking out several bikes on a trail I've ridden dozens of times would be invaluable. But instead, I just order bikes online. That said, the Orbea and Ribble have treated me well, just curious if I would prefer a different style mountain bike. There is far less difference between road bikes in a particular category.
I have definitely ridden some very expensive mountain bike demos that felt like complete crap (IMO of course) despite reviewing well or having a big following.

Some bikes right now can be re sold for nearly MSRP though so the risk is lower than it usually would be.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:53 pm I have definitely ridden some very expensive mountain bike demos that felt like complete crap (IMO of course) despite reviewing well or having a big following.

Some bikes right now can be re sold for nearly MSRP though so the risk is lower than it usually would be.
Same. That day I rode the Trance I also rode a Scott (Genius? I think?) that was a :balls: out $8,000 bike. I used to watch GMBN a bunch and one of the presenters on there had basically this exact model as his personal bike, so I had really high expectations. It was a 27.5 plus (2.8") bike, 150mm of travel IIRC, and I hated it. The 2.8" tires were unbelievably heavy and slow-rolling, the suspension was bottomless in the worst way, and it was exactly zero fun on those trails. After riding the v1 Ripmo I have a newfound respect for the Trance, actually. Some aspects of the geometry needed an update in the worst way but that bike was probably still more fun than the Ripmo IMO. The factory Fox 36 on that Ripmo was :muah: doe.
Johnny_P

Ripley AF head angle might be a bit too slack for me. Ripley carbon has a steeper head tube which would probably feel better on the pedaly tight technical rides I do.

Hm
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:53 pm I have definitely ridden some very expensive mountain bike demos that felt like complete crap (IMO of course) despite reviewing well or having a big following.

Same. That day I rode the Trance I also rode a Scott (Genius? I think?) that was a :balls: out $8,000 bike. I used to watch GMBN a bunch and one of the presenters on there had basically this exact model as his personal bike, so I had really high expectations. It was a 27.5 plus (2.8") bike, 150mm of travel IIRC, and I hated it. The 2.8" tires were unbelievably heavy and slow-rolling, the suspension was bottomless in the worst way, and it was exactly zero fun on those trails. After riding the v1 Ripmo I have a newfound respect for the Trance, actually. Some aspects of the geometry needed an update in the worst way but that bike was probably still more fun than the Ripmo IMO. The factory Fox 36 on that Ripmo was :muah: doe.
Factory Fox36's are incredible.

Yeah. The bike I rented in Sedona was a Hightower XO1 and that felt like a big pile of uncoordinated poo.
Specialized Stumpjumper (prior gen) 29er felt so heavy and squishy it was actually difficult for me to ride the wiss because I couldn't huck it over logs.
Loved the Santa Claus 5010. That bike was ridiculous in the best ways but pedaled poorly (think that's changed since 2012 though).
Loved the Pivot Mach 5.5 which is a 27.5 bike with fat 2.6" tires and too much travel. It was exactly what I want except for the ridiculous price.
Hated the Pivot Mach 6 which is almost identical to the 5.5 with a bit more travel.
Loved the Giant Anthem which was a short travel 27.5er.

So. I dunno. Whatever. I'm like 50/50. I clearly don't personally agree with a lot of the west coast reviewers, probably because my terrain is so vastly different and tighter compared to what they ride.
Johnny_P

Looks like the Trek Top Fuel has become what the Fuel EX used to be. 130 fork, 120 rear. Knock block steering limiter is now "optional" so they finally found a way, like every other bike brand, to have a normal front end. And did away with press fit bottom brackets.

Sounds great. Killer colors.

Price is bonkers at almost $5,900 for the lowest end carbon build.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2022-trek-top-fuel/
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:20 am Looks like the Trek Top Fuel has become what the Fuel EX used to be. 130 fork, 120 rear. Knock block steering limiter is now "optional" so they finally found a way, like every other bike brand, to have a normal front end. And did away with press fit bottom brackets.

Hell yea. 76* seat tube and 66* head tube angles are right there in the sweet spot for a trail bike. This is what the Ripley was 2+ years ago, but at least they finally have something comparable.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:20 am Looks like the Trek Top Fuel has become what the Fuel EX used to be. 130 fork, 120 rear. Knock block steering limiter is now "optional" so they finally found a way, like every other bike brand, to have a normal front end. And did away with press fit bottom brackets.

Hell yea. 76* seat tube and 66* head tube angles are right there in the sweet spot for a trail bike. This is what the Ripley was 2+ years ago, but at least they finally have something comparable.
Yeah, albeit with a much less complicated single pivot suspension design. Which might not matter anymore since air shocks have become a lot more progressive in the last 5-10 years.
Also
Reading more about the new SID forks, they sound awesome. Designed to sit higher in their travel, 120ish mm. 35mm stanchions. Lightweight.
Johnny_P

Sweet. I should do it next year.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:29 pm Sweet. I should do it next year.
You should.

Also, since you're in the city, you should check out the Paper Trail Bike Cafe (bike shop) and Musette (cafe).

Both are run by cycling friends of mine - PTBC just did a Wednesday night gravel ride that went up Port Royal.
Yeah I ran into them yesterday. Big group. Lots of people walking their bikes on the trail.

Port Royal is extra shitty rn, lots of craters in the cobble section. Was fun to ride it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So unPAved DFD :meat: up?

I'm in... BRB, buying a gravel bike.
Johnny_P

See you guys at the finish line. I’d be taking my sweet ass time.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Man. I have felt like total :poop: on the bike lately. I'm doing this workout program that's essentially designed around restoring proper movement patterns for athletic potential and longevity. The first 12 weeks were all bodyweight, so I could do the program and ride 3x per week without any trouble. This second 12 week phase is loaded, and as my mobility has improved I've been able to add more and more weight and express each movement more fully, but that's been wiping out my legs and my riding has definitely suffered. Even an endurance ride with nothing but zones 2 & 3 leaves me feeling totally beat. I think I actually gave myself a super mild case of Rhabdo last week after a 45 minute ride. And riding outside I feel like I'm constantly going up an incline; I go lactic basically instantly. Balancing the two goals is tough, y'all. 6 leg days per week - 3 with weights and 3 cycling - is not sustainable. :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:56 pm Man. I have felt like total :poop: on the bike lately. I'm doing this workout program that's essentially designed around restoring proper movement patterns for athletic potential and longevity. The first 12 weeks were all bodyweight, so I could do the program and ride 3x per week without any trouble. This second 12 week phase is loaded, and as my mobility has improved I've been able to add more and more weight and express each movement more fully, but that's been wiping out my legs and my riding has definitely suffered. Even an endurance ride with nothing but zones 2 & 3 leaves me feeling totally beat. I think I actually gave myself a super mild case of Rhabdo last week after a 45 minute ride. And riding outside I feel like I'm constantly going up an incline; I go lactic basically instantly. Balancing the two goals is tough, y'all. 6 leg days per week - 3 with weights and 3 cycling - is not sustainable. :disappoint:
It is really a challenge to try to engage in multiple forms of fitness at a high level.

I essentially cut out all lifting of legs at this point, a typical week for me is two lifts (one upper body heavy, one upper body hypertrophy, occasionally a third at home that's mostly light dumbbells/body weight stuff), one run, and five days on the bike. Your body does get used to more volume over time and it gets a lot better.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm It is really a challenge to try to engage in multiple forms of fitness at a high level.

I essentially cut out all lifting of legs at this point, a typical week for me is two lifts (one upper body heavy, one upper body hypertrophy, occasionally a third at home that's mostly light dumbbells/body weight stuff), one run, and five days on the bike. Your body does get used to more volume over time and it gets a lot better.
It's really tough. Hockey was always my #1 priority, but now that I'm retired from goaltending (my hips are rather fucked), I'm having a hard time with what to focus on next.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

For me it was lifting for years... I always fought being injury prone, unathletic, and just not that strong... powerlifted for 10 years or more and could never even squat 300 pounds. I always ran at least a bit and enjoyed that but focused on gainz. Come to find out, I got better at cycling in one year than I will ever be at lifting, so it has been a bit more gratifying. I still do enjy lifting and keeping some decent level of physique, but it has been nice to be :aintcare: about progress in the strength department. I also love doing anything that gets me outside more now that I'm an office cog.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:52 pm For me it was lifting for years... I always fought being injury prone, unathletic, and just not that strong... powerlifted for 10 years or more and could never even squat 300 pounds. I always ran at least a bit and enjoyed that but focused on gainz. Come to find out, I got better at cycling in one year than I will ever be at lifting, so it has been a bit more gratifying. I still do enjy lifting and keeping some decent level of physique, but it has been nice to be :aintcare: about progress in the strength department. I also love doing anything that gets me outside more now that I'm an office cog.
I know that uphill battle. I said hockey was always my #1 priority but I guess that's not 100% true. I quit my college hockey team after the end of my sophomore season for a number of reasons, and after that I pretty much just focused on getting jacked. I set every lifetime PR in the "big 3" within the next 18 months after that. I then herniated my L5S1 disc and spent the next several years just trying to get back to those numbers, but every time I got close I'd tweak my back again and have to start all over.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I didn't put the pads back on until my later 20s, but from probably ~2013 until the pandemic hit all I've really given a shit about from a training perspective was hockey. But two cam impingements and torn labrums later and I've had to hang it up until I have surgery. My hips feel fine doing anything except playing in goal, though, and the rehab takes a long time, so eh. Not sure I'm going to :doit: unless they get worse.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Cycling would be a logical next thing to pursue, but :iono: , compared to hockey I don't have anywhere near the same kind of passion for it yet.

Wouldn't let me put all of :dat: in one post. :notsure:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 pm Just pulled the crank and wheels apart on the Sacklist.

Bottom bracket is cooked. Non drive bearing is almost seized, drive bearing actually has play in it.

Rear freehub is shot. Bent springs, pitted pawls, bearings are super gritty. Thankfully I've got a new one ready to go on.

Front bearings are also nearly seized.

RIP.
:pouroneout:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:47 pm

It's really tough. Hockey was always my #1 priority, but now that I'm retired from goaltending (my hips are rather fucked), I'm having a hard time with what to focus on next.
Turn into a sprinter on the bike. Leg day all day son.
May or may not have hit 933 watts a couple weeks ago.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:11 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:36 pm

May or may not have hit 933 watts a couple weeks ago.
:impressive:

Most :impressive:
Don't get me wrong, I'll be pretty pumped when I get that 1,000W sprint, but that'll still be pretty :flaccid: compared to what I've seen some real sprinters do - at least if the Peloton and a Stages (for example) are pretty apples to apples. I think being able to hold 350W+ for 20 minutes is way more impressive than a single 15 second 900W effort. I can sustain 350W for maybe 60 seconds before my legs blow the eff up. Given my sport and training history, though, it's to be expected. I've just never been an endurance athlete.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:47 pm

Turn into a sprinter on the bike. Leg day all day son.
:dat:

My legs are ripped up.

:iono: you may never find the passion for cycling you had for hockey. We all have different things.

I think what I love about cycling is the variety. Endurance road riding, fast road riding, trail riding, touring/brewery rides, groups or solo, new scenery/trails/roads to explore... I really love mixing it up constantly.

Like the past couple of weeks I'm honestly bored of road riding and have done more trails and running for conditioning, but then next time I am on the road bike doing 45 MPH for the first time in a couple of weeks, that will feel like so much fun. There are also so many more routes possible than running if you don't want to have to drive to get to them.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:41 pm :dat:

My legs are ripped up.

:iono: you may never find the passion for cycling you had for hockey. We all have different things.

I think what I love about cycling is the variety. Endurance road riding, fast road riding, trail riding, touring/brewery rides, groups or solo, new scenery/trails/roads to explore... I really love mixing it up constantly.

Like the past couple of weeks I'm honestly bored of road riding and have done more trails and running for conditioning, but then next time I am on the road bike doing 45 MPH for the first time in a couple of weeks, that will feel like so much fun. There are also so many more routes possible than running if you don't want to have to drive to get to them.
I'm sure I won't. I'm going to try playing forward, I think. It'll be really strange after playing in net for the last 20+ years, but it should still scratch the itch to some extent.

I'm definitely :jelly: of the ability to get out an do all of that on a bike. Hell even to go play hockey the last few times we've had to hire a babysitter to help with the three crazy kids, but there's zero chance I'm doing that to go ride a bike unless it's a really special event like UnPAved. But yeah, if I could go do all of that with my bikes I think I'd be way more into it.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:35 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:00 amMan... mountain bike terminology may as well be Latin to me and I've been riding for 15 years :lolol:

I should find a demo day sometime and try some different things, but I doubt they have those anymore. They used to bring dozens of bikes to local trails you could just go take for a rip.
I spend more time listening to YouTube bike reviews than I get to spend actually on a bike. You're not the one doing it wrong.

But yes, you should definitely demo some shit and see what you jive with in the real world.
Any favorite channels? I watch a lot as well.

Someone mentioned the 5010. The 5010 has the new lower link like most of the other SC do these days. I haven't ridden one but hear they are great pedalers.

I had my suspension dialed and my Jeffsy pedaled great. It's a 27.5 so 160 front and rear. Have been lazy and haven't rechecked the pressures and it's feeling a bit squishy but that seems to help me while trying to practice manuals.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:03 am Any favorite channels? I watch a lot as well.

Someone mentioned the 5010. The 5010 has the new lower link like most of the other SC do these days. I haven't ridden one but hear they are great pedalers.

I had my suspension dialed and my Jeffsy pedaled great. It's a 27.5 so 160 front and rear. Have been lazy and haven't rechecked the pressures and it's feeling a bit squishy but that seems to help me while trying to practice manuals.
These three are probably my favorite -

Bikers Edge
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmBX-l ... kBVQAV4smg

MTB yumyum
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjVKl ... IZtBd52lcQ

Beta MTB
https://www.youtube.com/c/BetaMTB/featured