:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:02 pm
At least a stock example you know what needs to be done to fix something. Aftermarket parts and how they're installed can create a myriad of mysterious issues that are really hard to diagnose. I've never had good luck with previously modified vehicles and just generally steer clear of them. And yes, I'd assume that it would be a constant project to keep going.

I know nothing about these things other than liking them. Someone else might know more, and maybe all these mods are good upgrades and it's a solid ZFG performer.
Yeah, all good points. See if there's more input from the group, but it's a double threat... Age and mods.
Man... I want to tell you that you should :doit: I love these and this is a great color, great power, seems like pretty nice mods... But my honest opinion is run. You're a very busy dude with a business, family, rental property, etc. It seems like reliability concerns were one of the main reasons you dumped your C6 which was stock, 15 years newer, and generally a pretty solid platform.

:iono: the only way I can see a Gen 2 MR2 being relatively 'trouble free' would be a mostly stock, sub 100K mile, NA version.

I would consider calling the owner and having a conversation, you can learn a lot by just seeing what the person is like... but my gut tells me this is a car that requires constant tinkering. Not that that makes it a bad car by any means, but you don't strike me as someone who has six hours every weekend to fuck with wrenching.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:30 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Yeah, all good points. See if there's more input from the group, but it's a double threat... Age and mods.
Man... I want to tell you that you should :doit: I love these and this is a great color, great power, seems like pretty nice mods... But my honest opinion is run. You're a very busy dude with a business, family, rental property, etc. It seems like reliability concerns were one of the main reasons you dumped your C6 which was stock, 15 years newer, and generally a pretty solid platform.

:iono: the only way I can see a Gen 2 MR2 being relatively 'trouble free' would be a mostly stock, sub 100K mile, NA version.

I would consider calling the owner and having a conversation, you can learn a lot by just seeing what the person is like... but my gut tells me this is a car that requires constant tinkering. Not that that makes it a bad car by any means, but you don't strike me as someone who has six hours every weekend to fuck with wrenching.
Roger that, you're :notwrong:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:impressive:

That's almost as nice as mine was, that I sold for $3000 with OEM 16 and 17" :ramz: plus all new struts and an unobtainium Progress rear sway bar.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:10 am

Lolol 11k!
For a 1.6. My god. A guy at work saw my NA and said he has been looking for one for a while but people are asking astronomical prices and he can't find one that's affordable. I was like "WahhhhhtttttT?" And then I looked and saw the chaos.
Nothing is cheap anymore. I've been on the lookout for a :truk: and rusted heaps are $5k now. It's bad.

The only way to fix it is stop paying these ridiculous prices.
Yep, but things pre 2005 are actually fairly stable here. Let me know if you're still looking for a cheap truck.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 98985.html

While this isn't a 4 figure car this thing is everything you need for 12.5k... I don't see how you can go wrong here. And it's clean AF

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That is indeed a dece :truk: , but it would've been like $5-8K a year ago... That said, if you didn't have plans to :plac: in the short-medium term and just wanted to have a utility vehicle around, it's not a bad way to go.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm
Nothing is cheap anymore. I've been on the lookout for a :truk: and rusted heaps are $5k now. It's bad.

The only way to fix it is stop paying these ridiculous prices.
Yep, but things pre 2005 are actually fairly stable here. Let me know if you're still looking for a cheap truck.

While this isn't a 4 figure car this thing is everything you need for 12.5k... I don't see how you can go wrong here. And it's clean AF

I am still looking for a cheap truck, but my new job is crazy busy and it's tough to carve out the time to make a cross-country vehicle transaction work.

And yea, $12.5k isn't bad for that. It's probably a $15k truck here right now. But that thing was a sub-$10k truck not too many years ago and I don't really need anything right now, so I'm just going to wait it out unless a :unicorn: deal pops up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:13 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:56 pm

I am still looking for a cheap truck, but my new job is crazy busy and it's tough to carve out the time to make a cross-country vehicle transaction work.

And yea, $12.5k isn't bad for that. It's probably a $15k truck here right now. But that thing was a sub-$10k truck not too many years ago and I don't really need anything right now, so I'm just going to wait it out unless a :unicorn: deal pops up.
What’s your price point ? Sub 10?

It’s hard to find under 150k miles and that clean. This is a near :unicorn: search now as these things were designed to be used and boy have they been used and abused for 99.9% of them
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:13 pm

It’s hard to find under 150k miles and that clean. This is a near :unicorn: search now as these things were designed to be used and boy have they been used and abused for 99.9% of them
Sub $10k, sub 200k miles, V8, 4x4, that's it. I don't even care how clean and perfect it is, I just want it from the west so it's zero rust, straight body, and maintained so it runs for a while. I want a truck to do truck things with, not a cream puff. I won't put more than 5k miles/year on it, literally just towing the boat 2x year and hauling shit in the bed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:24 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pm

Sub $10k, sub 200k miles, V8, 4x4, that's it. I don't even care how clean and perfect it is, I just want it from the west so it's zero rust, straight body, and maintained so it runs for a while. I want a truck to do truck things with, not a cream puff. I won't put more than 5k miles/year on it, literally just towing the boat 2x year and hauling shit in the bed.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/ ... 17288.html
max225

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 52553.html

Quality sub 10k deteriorates. But they are here all day long
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:33 pm https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 52553.html

Quality sub 10k deteriorates. But they are here all day long
The hard thing is determining the maintenance. I'd love something that's a bit banged up but really well cared for mechanically. I know that's a REALLY tough ask, but if I get serious about a trip out west over the winter, I may bring a truck home.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Reno is kind of back in the snow belt too, no? I don't think that would be worthwhile.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 am Reno is kind of back in the snow belt too, no? I don't think that would be worthwhile.
Kinda sorta yea. As I mentioned under 10k the quality falls way off. Personally I'd rather spend 11-13k on something :nice: as opposed 7-8k on something that may need 2-3k to even come close to the nicer units, and even then it'll have cosmetic/other issues. :yikes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 am Reno is kind of back in the snow belt too, no? I don't think that would be worthwhile.
Kinda sorta yea. As I mentioned under 10k the quality falls way off. Personally I'd rather spend 11-13k on something :nice: as opposed 7-8k on something that may need 2-3k to even come close to the nicer units, and even then it'll have cosmetic/other issues. :yikes:
:notwrong: I learned this lesson hard with my POS Miata. It is well worth getting a used car on the higher end of the price scale for the given make/model/generation.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:38 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm

:notwrong: I learned this lesson hard with my POS Miata. It is well worth getting a used car on the higher end of the price scale for the given make/model/generation.
Yea, but nice older trucks are still going to require work due to age, I don't care how nice it is. If I'm spending 15k, I'd almost rather just double it and have a nice modern truck that won't need anything for a long time. But the real answer is to just wait for the insanity to die down, I think it's starting, actually. I've found a few 2016-2019 Silverados for $30k with 30-50k miles.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:10 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Yea, but nice older trucks are still going to require work due to age, I don't care how nice it is. If I'm spending 15k, I'd almost rather just double it and have a nice modern truck that won't need anything for a long time. But the real answer is to just wait for the insanity to die down, I think it's starting, actually. I've found a few 2016-2019 Silverados for $30k with 30-50k miles.
Slippery slope. I don’t find a 2016 Silverado with 50k for 30k as a good deal compared to an older one for 12 for ex. Post tax it is almost tripple…

But I hear you on the issues. Old cars/trucks always need something
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:12 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:10 am
Slippery slope. I don’t find a 2016 Silverado with 50k for 30k as a good deal compared to an older one for 12 for ex. Post tax it is almost tripple…

I agree, which is why I'm waiting since I don't need anything. Just noticing some price easing, which is encouraging that values might start to get more realistic in 3-6 mos.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:17 am

I agree, which is why I'm waiting since I don't need anything. Just noticing some price easing, which is encouraging that values might start to get more realistic in 3-6 mos.
I’m going to throw my Tacoma on Craigslist and report back on what happens. I’ll see if I can sell it for what I bought it for. Unfortunately I’m gone for a week visiting the promised land (Texas) but it should be :popcorn: once I get back
max225

GM and Ford Are reportedly sitting on 1000s of finished vehicles that need a chip or two, and toyota just announced that they will try and make up for the lost production in sep, by using OT etc. gonna get way easier to score a deal soon imo
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 am GM and Ford Are reportedly sitting on 1000s of finished vehicles that need a chip or two, and toyota just announced that they will try and make up for the lost production in sep, by using OT etc. gonna get way easier to score a deal soon imo
Yep, this is all it takes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:17 am

:notwrong:

I think as people's lives get more and more back to normal, markets will follow. The housing market is certainly still strong here and prices remain high, but I'm noticing things don't seem to just disappear from in a day, they may sit for sale for a few weeks. It seems like bar/restaurant prices have leveled out as well and places are doing some specials and whatnot again.

Maybe I am just hopeful/optimistic.

Gas is still creeping up but it's not bad at all here, like $3 for donkey piss, $3.5-4 for :unicorn: piss.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yeah I think I've paid $3.49 for 93 since the beginning of last month.

Also this is soooooooo :jimp:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 844061994/

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:17 am Yeah I think I've paid $3.49 for 93 since the beginning of last month.

Yeah that is a dece 'burb for sure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:17 am Yeah I think I've paid $3.49 for 93 since the beginning of last month.

I do like me a Cale retrolicious post, but you're missing Vortec FI by one year on that one, plus the cladding and gold ramz..........eh. The bone stock GMT400 2500 or 3500 is one of the better looking trucks ever made :doe:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.