Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:58 pm

:mindblown:

So much for prices dropping back to normal. It signals to me to buy what I need now. Thankfully, I need nothing LOL
Yep, I am not buying much other than food and some random used bike parts for a build I'm planning...

:nope: at these prices.

You are right :doe: , electronics are in a weird spot at least through end of year.
Aside from lock-down mandates, the economy is willing and able to fire on all cylinders. All they need to do is loosen restrictions and we are booming again. I'm :popcorn: on all this shit because I'm considering bumping my rates, I just don't want to do it too early and shoot myself in the foot.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:03 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:13 am So y’all been following the insanity of the “chip” shortage coupled with unprecedented demand ?

Fascinating times to be alive. I think in my 20 active years as a “car guy” I have never seen resale values at these levels.

Been spending a lot of time doing research on the matter also. Lots of factors for every oem, however Tesla is still bucking the trend … which is :mindblown:
Ugh. It has helped me give no fucks about :plac: or car shopping which is kind of :nice:

But it is a constant headache all day everyday at work as a sales guy for an electronics manufacturer :disgust:
Tell me about it... been good times... But this seems to be in every single industry at the moment. Since we're talking about Cereal and toilet paper shortages again which are obviously both full of microchips. :lol:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

razr390 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:08 pm
MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:48 pm Just an FYI, Arm doesn't make anything. They just license out their architecture.

That whole story was wild though. China is slowly inching away from having any US chips manufactured there. It will take time, but everyone will eventually start building capacity elsewhere. We'll be left with China ripping off multi-generation old products for domestic use only.
You know way more about the tech than I do… is the US too reliant on importing shit like this? AFAIK we don’t manufacture domestically except for companies that use it for their own IP?

I think we're too reliant on a country that is diametrically opposed to us politically and morally. There are a lot of things we don't manufacture here, and it's not easy to move. The entire industry exists in China. So all the tool makers, equipment manufacturers, raw material suppliers, etc. You can't just pick up the manufacturing portion and move it here. Tons of other stuff has to be considered too.

Ultimately though, the real innovation is still in the US. China essentially took the least value add step of the whole thing from us. The actual assembly is a race to the bottom to some degree. They're going to get run over by other SE Asia countries once we stop turning a blind eye to all the atrocities they are responsible for. A new, up and coming country that's just starting to industrialize will always have cheaper labor.

The only tech they actually have a real lead on 5G. That's the biggest concern. Everything else? Not worried. The CCP drives a culture that totally stifles innovation. They will never be able to seriously compete with the US on that front with that regime in charge.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Just ban one or both of us, I will never let this drop. He doesn't get to pull the pin on the grenade and then come back like it never happened... or maybe he does if y'all choose to side with him. Either way, I'm not giving up the fight.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 pm Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do as far as shock replacements on a 2010 acura TSX.

overall the car rides firm... perhaps too firm? Which is odd considering that the shocks are 11 years and 120k miles old. I wanted to get them updated... then I found out that it uses struts on all 4 corners... :disgust: so it won't be a simple DIY.

That said... started looking for parts. 3/4 shocks are available through OEM sources and they are a whopping $220 a pop on average, and I can't complete the entire car :(

Koni Yellows seem like a decent aftermarket units... however the shop I called mentioned that they may ride stiffer even in the softest setting, which is the last thing I want.

Any other decent brands that ya'll are aware of? I even posted on TSX forums but the dudes there are :fullretard: and completely non -helpful.
Bilstein makes a good shock/strut if one is available.

Struts aren't a big deal for DIY. The biggest thing to remember is to outline the existing strut on the knuckle with a Sharpie so that you can maintain your alignment with the new strut. A strut spring compressor is cheap to rent/buy, too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Huckleberry wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:30 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 pm Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do as far as shock replacements on a 2010 acura TSX.

overall the car rides firm... perhaps too firm? Which is odd considering that the shocks are 11 years and 120k miles old. I wanted to get them updated... then I found out that it uses struts on all 4 corners... :disgust: so it won't be a simple DIY.

That said... started looking for parts. 3/4 shocks are available through OEM sources and they are a whopping $220 a pop on average, and I can't complete the entire car :(

Koni Yellows seem like a decent aftermarket units... however the shop I called mentioned that they may ride stiffer even in the softest setting, which is the last thing I want.

Any other decent brands that ya'll are aware of? I even posted on TSX forums but the dudes there are :fullretard: and completely non -helpful.

Struts aren't a big deal for DIY. The biggest thing to remember is to outline the existing strut on the knuckle with a Sharpie so that you can maintain your alignment with the new strut. A strut spring compressor is cheap to rent/buy, too.
Every time I’ve used a spring compressor, it’s felt quite sketchy to me…. But that said, you’re right, it isn’t difficult, particularly in no rust areas.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:23 am

Every time I’ve used a spring compressor, it’s felt quite sketchy to me…. But that said, you’re right, it isn’t difficult, particularly in no rust areas.
It depends on the compressor. The wall-mounted units are very nice, but those can get spendy. The key thing to look for is a compressor that has locking pins so that there isn't a chance for the tool to slip off the spring.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

+1 for wall mount units. That's the only type I feel comfortable using. Unless there's just a tiny amount of spring tension, if I don't have a wall mount unit, it's going to a shop.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:46 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:23 am

It depends on the compressor. The wall-mounted units are very nice, but those can get spendy. The key thing to look for is a compressor that has locking pins so that there isn't a chance for the tool to slip off the spring.
I've only done it with the Autozone/Advance free rental tools :lolol: :notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:52 am
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:46 am

I've only done it with the Autozone/Advance free rental tools :lolol: :notsure:
I bought a set from HF a decade ago and used them on many jobs over those years. They have the "locks" that will keep the springs from slipping off, and I've always kept them well lubed so there's as little friction as possible on the nut that tightens. They still look new.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Was going to tackle it myself... however there are some issues in the rear suspension that make it difficult to remove the units. You also have to put the suspension under load to put the bolts back on the struts etc. If I had some local car boys to help me I'd do it, but doing it with a sig other is a :nope: to me.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:57 am

Was going to tackle it myself... however there are some issues in the rear suspension that make it difficult to remove the units. You also have to put the suspension under load to put the bolts back on the struts etc. If I had some local car boys to help me I'd do it, but doing it with a sig other is a :nope: to me.
I did a strut replacement on a 99 Accord once. I do remember the rears being more complicated than they needed to be. I think the rear seats had to be pulled, toe links had to be removed, and there was some specific dance that the strut had to do to come out. What I usually do is support the car on jack stands so that the suspension has full travel, and then manipulate the suspension with the jack.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm
I did a strut replacement on a 99 Accord once. I do remember the rears being more complicated than they needed to be. I think the rear seats had to be pulled, toe links had to be removed, and there was some specific dance that the strut had to do to come out. What I usually do is support the car on jack stands so that the suspension has full travel, and then manipulate the suspension with the jack.
Interesting. That is pretty spot on, end links have to come out and rear seats do too to access top of the bolts. Which isn't bad... here is what is bad.
You need a pry bar to put a downward load on the suspension in order to lower the rear link/hub assembly in order to slide in the new struts. Which means SHE will have to operate the pry bar or SHE will have to slide in the rear strut. The is a huge :nope: unfortunately. It isn't a solo job.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:37 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Interesting. That is pretty spot on, end links have to come out and rear seats do too to access top of the bolts. Which isn't bad... here is what is bad.
You need a pry bar to put a downward load on the suspension in order to lower the rear link/hub assembly in order to slide in the new struts. Which means SHE will have to operate the strut bar or SHE will have to slide in the rear strut. The is a huge :nope: unfortunately. It isn't a solo job.
Gotcha. It's been a few years, so I can't remember if I had a friend help with that part or not. I probably did have someone stand on the hub to get the needed clearance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: hard pass on getting :tits: involved with anything more than pumping a brake or clutch pedal to bleed...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:22 pm
:dat: hard pass on getting :tits: involved with anything more than pumping a brake or clutch pedal to bleed...
And even that results in more :sass: than it should.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:11 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:22 pm

And even that results in more :sass: than it should.
“Can I go now”
“Is this enough”
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Mine would :doit: without complaint but it's just not really a road I enjoy going down. She would also freak out if anything went the slightest :wrong:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 pm Mine would :doit: without complaint but it's just not really a road I enjoy going down. She would also freak out if anything went the slightest :wrong:
Does it ever not :lol: . I can see quite a few hang ups on doing the suspension for the first time in 11 years... it'll be pretty :rage: inducing in some parts and she would be there to listen to me cuss...
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 pm Mine would :doit: without complaint but it's just not really a road I enjoy going down. She would also freak out if anything went the slightest :wrong:
Does it ever not :lol: . I can see quite a few hang ups on doing the suspension for the first time in 11 years... it'll be pretty :rage: inducing in some parts and she would be there to listen to me cuss...
There is no part of this job worth doing yourself. It's not like you are putting Bilsteins on your Miura. It's not a personal thing. Its an old Acura. Outsource.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

When something goes wrong and I get :rage: which I believe to be 100% normal, she gets on me that I "have a bad temper and need therapy" I'm the chillest MF out there, but when a nut is rusted solid or something, a bit of cursing and banging usually does the trick. :rolleyes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 pm
When something goes wrong and I get :rage: which I believe to be 100% normal, she gets on me that I "have a bad temper and need therapy" I'm the chillest MF out there, but when a nut is rusted solid or something, a bit of cursing and banging usually does the trick. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I think it is pretty damn normal to get a bit ragey when wrenching on anything, just part of the process.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:45 pm
Yeah, I think it is pretty damn normal to get a bit ragey when wrenching on anything, just part of the process.
Not according to :tits:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Not according to :tits:
Count me in as needing therapy as well then.

The beauty of my schedule and WFH is I can generally tackle shit like that when :tits: isn't around. I certainly was cussing after replacing that kitchen faucet last week when everything was still leaking. Sure, I :rage: for a minute, but then cooler heads prevail, get shit done, save a bunch of money, and feel accomplished.
Desertbreh

Sometimes you have to make war on your enemy, pure and simple.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.