OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:07 pm

Pizza is an odd one for me in that it was the "original" delivery food, and I just expect to pay the delivery charge and tip.. everything else I'd rather go pick up than pay inflated app prices, plus fees and shit.

I have been better about driving to pick up pizza recently though. Mostly because the local spot we found and love is just a little too far for us to be in their delivery range and pick up is the only option. Been trying to keep that going when we go for the cheaper chain joints like PJs and Dominos.
I used to work for dominos and most people would just give me on average 6 bucks excluding the pizza for delivery alone, for tip and fee (was $2 at the time). I always think about that when I'm in the mood for such. :scrooge: habits come in handy.
Yeah I usually throw them $5 on the check out page when it asks for a tip for the driver. It's probably better for them if I give them cash, I'm sure the company/store takes some of those online tips, but I almost never have cash on hand.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:26 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:04 pm I guess if you have the type of friends/space/time for people to stay overnight that makes sense. I'm thinking more like fire up the speakers and jam/bs for a couple of hours with mostly people that I barely know - the same as I would at a bar but for a tenth of the price. Nobody is driving multiple hours to meet me in the woods, we don't have friends like that.
It depends, but wife has invited over people she met on FB in the area with some pretty good results. We usually meet new FB people at some function of some sort to make sure they're not crazy, then invite them by. Usually pretty solid turn on the tunes, share wine/booze, swap :tits:, etc.
FTFY
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:33 pm
D Griff wrote:This is funny/timely - my wife was literally this morning complaining about my 'obsession' over the cost of food and trying to buy/eat inexpensive food/drink.

:scrooge: :scrooge: :scrooge:
:scrooge: :plaid: :scrooge:
:scrooge: :scrooge: :scrooge:
:impressive:

Seems like y'all spend at least double what we spend, and I think we waste too much.

My goal is to eventually have people hang out at our house vs at bars/restaurants, which is why I like living right in town.
Mostly :tits: driven but probably true, although she has toned down on going out with friends a lot lately, fortunately. We probably go out in some capacity like twice per week, one is pizza/fast food, one something else, but normally in the $40-70 range all-in.

Having people over is the way, this is the go-to. The only downside is that :tits: always wants to be the perfect host and then buys a bunch of food for everyone :ohwell:

At least that is better than spending $100 on five mixed drinks at a bar.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Agreed 100% on all this. I'm amazed at the price of wine. Indeed, daily drinking bottles at Costco can be had for $8-12. A GLASS of anything is $12 minimum out somewhere, and that's the same or worse DD wine I'm buying at Costco for LESS.
Winking Owl red box is my number one home drink. I get beer when I'm out because it's cheaper and I don't have kegs at home anyway. These days I try not to have more than 2 drinks though, I've been gaining weight constantly since the moving process started.
Dude, I am the numero uno :scrooge: here allegedly and Winking Owl is just horrendous. Pay like $5 more for a good box of wine. I will drink cheap wine all day (and beer) but that stuff is just :gag:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Agreed 100% on all this. I'm amazed at the price of wine. Indeed, daily drinking bottles at Costco can be had for $8-12. A GLASS of anything is $12 minimum out somewhere, and that's the same or worse DD wine I'm buying at Costco for LESS.
Winking Owl red box is my number one home drink. I get beer when I'm out because it's cheaper and I don't have kegs at home anyway. These days I try not to have more than 2 drinks though, I've been gaining weight constantly since the moving process started.
So much this. I've never understood overpaying for bottled beer at a restaurant/bar. I can get that at home, thanks. I do prefer anything on tap.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:26 pm
It depends, but wife has invited over people she met on FB in the area with some pretty good results. We usually meet new FB people at some function of some sort to make sure they're not crazy, then invite them by. Usually pretty solid turn on the tunes, share wine/booze, swap :tits:, etc.
FTFY
:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:33 pm :impressive:

Seems like y'all spend at least double what we spend, and I think we waste too much.

My goal is to eventually have people hang out at our house vs at bars/restaurants, which is why I like living right in town.
Mostly :tits: driven but probably true, although she has toned down on going out with friends a lot lately, fortunately. We probably go out in some capacity like twice per week, one is pizza/fast food, one something else, but normally in the $40-70 range all-in.

Having people over is the way, this is the go-to. The only downside is that :tits: always wants to be the perfect host and then buys a bunch of food for everyone :ohwell:

Mine does the same, but almost always does it on the cheap at Aldi or Costco, or a combo of the two. Our Costco does a marinated chicken drumstick thing in the deli section that has enough food for an army for $10. Insane value. If we're having people over, she grabs that and I fire up the grill and we cook those with veggies and whatever other side she makes. We've fed 6 people for under $50 before, bulk is cheaper. AND people usually bring wine/booze so our costs are really quite low at the end.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:38 pm Winking Owl red box is my number one home drink. I get beer when I'm out because it's cheaper and I don't have kegs at home anyway. These days I try not to have more than 2 drinks though, I've been gaining weight constantly since the moving process started.
So much this. I've never understood overpaying for bottled beer at a restaurant/bar. I can get that at home, thanks. I do prefer anything on tap.
#metoo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Mine does the same, but almost always does it on the cheap at Aldi or Costco, or a combo of the two. Our Costco does a marinated chicken drumstick thing in the deli section that has enough food for an army for $10. Insane value. If we're having people over, she grabs that and I fire up the grill and we cook those with veggies and whatever other side she makes. We've fed 6 people for under $50 before, bulk is cheaper. AND people usually bring wine/booze so our costs are really quite low at the end.
SO I know Costco gets a lot of love around here... but :tits: joined and I went with her for the first time Sunday, and thought a lot of it was kind of a ripoff. They have some major :dill: (hell their jeans prices are epic, their house coffee is really good, way better than the Aldi stuff we were getting and not much more per ounce, tasty salsa that we go through in bulk, etc) but I felt like much of it was quite a bit more per weight than Aldi and you're stuck getting these huge quantities which is kind of no bueno if you have a tiny house.

Curious on the go-tos/not go-tos to get better at maximizing the Costco experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:38 pm Winking Owl red box is my number one home drink. I get beer when I'm out because it's cheaper and I don't have kegs at home anyway. These days I try not to have more than 2 drinks though, I've been gaining weight constantly since the moving process started.
Dude, I am the numero uno :scrooge: here allegedly and Winking Owl is just horrendous. Pay like $5 more for a good box of wine. I will drink cheap wine all day (and beer) but that stuff is just :gag:
Kirkland brand box wine is surprisingly :notbad: and cheap AF. We almost always have a box of chardonnay in the fridge for the random :tits: that just want "cold white".
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
I think it's fine, but I drink more as an anti-anxiety medication or social obligation than for enjoyment.

I'll drink my :scrooge: Sobieski vodka straight from the (plastic) bottle at room temperature NFG with no :gag: reaction. Like an alcoholic but a lot less frequency/volume. :thisisfine:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:26 pm
D Griff wrote:
I think it's fine, but I drink more as an anti-anxiety medication or social obligation than for enjoyment.

I'll drink my :scrooge: Sobieski vodka straight from the (plastic) bottle at room temperature NFG with no :gag: reaction. Like an alcoholic but a lot less frequency/volume. :thisisfine:
:impressive:

I am often pretty happy with $15-20 boxes of wine, which is like $5/bottle but I find the Winking Owl repulsive. I am willing to pay 50% more for the 'good stuff' :lolol:

I guess I'll try Costco since the wife joined, it I decide to go back to booze post Sober October.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm
SO I know Costco gets a lot of love around here... but :tits: joined and I went with her for the first time Sunday, and thought a lot of it was kind of a ripoff. They have some major :dill: (hell their jeans prices are epic, their house coffee is really good, way better than the Aldi stuff we were getting and not much more per ounce, tasty salsa that we go through in bulk, etc) but I felt like much of it was quite a bit more per weight than Aldi and you're stuck getting these huge quantities which is kind of no bueno if you have a tiny house.

Curious on the go-tos/not go-tos to get better at maximizing the Costco experience.
You can't compare Costco to Aldi. Aldi is the Harbor Freight of supermarkets. There are definitely things that are a screaming deal at Costco, and things that are not. If I could encapsulate it in concept, it is that PREMIUM THINGS costs much less as Costco. Prime Beef, Ahi Tuna, WINE AND HARD ALCOHOL. But pasta and toilet paper? Not always, and yes, if something is way more than you need, it is not longer a value. Some things you get at Costco, some things you don't.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Hmm, I just looked up costco and it's a 30 minute drive up into Florida Man :thankstrump: :truckyeah: territory, definitely not gonna happen. Aldi is 1.5 miles. Generally if I can't buy it at Aldi or Walmart (quarter mile) then I don't bother.
ChrisoftheNorth

First of all, if you're in the market for a new credit card, the Costco Citi essentially pays you to be a Costco member. It can be used anywhere and gives excellent rebates on gas, travel, and going out. The only "fee" is the Costco membership, and I usually make 10x the membership cost annually in card rebate. Look into it.

Costco has an incredible return policy. Like literally will take just about anything back at any time. I bought a "professional" garden hose from them last year that was supposed to be super resistant to breaking. It sprung a leak last week and I took it back over the weekend and they gave me my money back. I've taken clothes back that popped seams for no reason even after wearing for years, and they refund my money ZFG. It's crazy liberal. They do limit the return period for certain electronics items, but even those are extended by ~12 mos longer than the factory warranty, and even longer in some cases if you use the Costco card. So I try to buy all of my electronics come from Costco (either warehouse or they have more on the website), just for the extended warranty and ease of returns.

Outside of that, the only other things we buy regularly at Costco is booze. Their wine selection is fantastic and quite cheap (and if you don't like it you can return it, I've seen people do it). But it's the Kirkland label liquor that's fantastic. Kirkland Vodka comes in two grades and allegedly come from either Sky or Grey Goose (depending on the grade). It's insanely cheap for what you get, and we always keep a bottle on hand for random drinks. Same goes for their gin which is allegedly Tanqueray. I bought a Kirkland brand islay single malt scotch the other day for $45 that's fantastic and rivals some I've bought for 2x+. Costco does the same thing as TJ's with a lot of their private label booze, where they buy excess from high end distilleries and sell at a discount under their own label. 5/7 finds.

We also almost exclusively shop there for our gatherings, like the pack of chicken I mentioned above and I love buying their salmon tails to smoke because a MASSIVE tail is $20 and feeds 6 (or a lot of leftovers).

All that said, the best deals are the Kirkland branded stuff or the stuff they produce/package in the warehouse. If you're looking to buy name brand stuff, I agree that it's not really a great deal usually. Which is why we buy some things and Costco, but most grocery shopping is done at Aldi or the food Coop (basically whole foods).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:39 pm

You can't compare Costco to Aldi. Aldi is the Harbor Freight of supermarkets. There are definitely things that are a screaming deal at Costco, and things that are not. If I could encapsulate it in concept, it is that PREMIUM THINGS costs much less as Costco. Prime Beef, Ahi Tuna, WINE AND HARD ALCOHOL. But pasta and toilet paper? Not always, and yes, if something is way more than you need, it is not longer a value. Some things you get at Costco, some things you don't.
The thing with this is, almost every product at Aldi is very high quality. Are the brans weird? Yes. But the product, meats, dairy, etc. are all just as good as anything you can get here at Publix or Harris Teeter (the :waxer: grocery stores in this region). Aldi is pretty meh on the booze thing, they have some decent wines, the beers are not fantastic. No hard liquor here other than at state run stores so that doesn't factor in. As mentioned, Aldi coffee is also just OK and the Kirkland Signature is a lot better. IMO.

That is all good to know, I guess we will carry on with buying select things at Costco, fortunately it is quite close to the house. It's just very crowded and very large.

My favorite thing about Aldi isn't price but the fact that it's extremely efficient - it's small and quick to get in and out of there. I will just stick with that and have :tits: get stuff at Costco. I'm definitely in to try some of these wines y'all are talking about. How is their beer?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm

First of all, if you're in the market for a new credit card, the Costco Citi essentially pays you to be a Costco member. It can be used anywhere and gives excellent rebates on gas, travel, and going out. The only "fee" is the Costco membership, and I usually make 10x the membership cost annually in card rebate. Look into it.

Costco has an incredible return policy. Like literally will take just about anything back at any time. I bought a "professional" garden hose from them last year that was supposed to be super resistant to breaking. It sprung a leak last week and I took it back over the weekend and they gave me my money back. I've taken clothes back that popped seams for no reason even after wearing for years, and they refund my money ZFG. It's crazy liberal. They do limit the return period for certain electronics items, but even those are extended by ~12 mos longer than the factory warranty, and even longer in some cases if you use the Costco card. So I try to buy all of my electronics come from Costco (either warehouse or they have more on the website), just for the extended warranty and ease of returns.

Outside of that, the only other things we buy regularly at Costco is booze. Their wine selection is fantastic and quite cheap (and if you don't like it you can return it, I've seen people do it). But it's the Kirkland label liquor that's fantastic. Kirkland Vodka comes in two grades and allegedly come from either Sky or Grey Goose (depending on the grade). It's insanely cheap for what you get, and we always keep a bottle on hand for random drinks. Same goes for their gin which is allegedly Tanqueray. I bought a Kirkland brand islay single malt scotch the other day for $45 that's fantastic and rivals some I've bought for 2x+. Costco does the same thing as TJ's with a lot of their private label booze, where they buy excess from high end distilleries and sell at a discount under their own label. 5/7 finds.

We also almost exclusively shop there for our gatherings, like the pack of chicken I mentioned above and I love buying their salmon tails to smoke because a MASSIVE tail is $20 and feeds 6 (or a lot of leftovers).

All that said, the best deals are the Kirkland branded stuff or the stuff they produce/package in the warehouse. If you're looking to buy name brand stuff, I agree that it's not really a great deal usually. Which is why we buy some things and Costco, but most grocery shopping is done at Aldi or the food Coop (basically whole foods).

Man it sounds like the liquor is really a missed opportunity... stupid NC laws.
troyguitar

Aldi had good coffee last year (or at least they did in NY) but they don't have anything good here now, which is :sad: since I would like to make up a bunch of cold brew.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Man it sounds like the liquor is really a missed opportunity... stupid NC laws.
:ohdang: no liquor at your Costco? Damn.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:58 pm Aldi had good coffee last year (or at least they did in NY) but they don't have anything good here now, which is :sad: since I would like to make up a bunch of cold brew.
Aldi changes products frequently, which makes me :| because if I like something a lot, I know I won't be able to get it again. I've never been a huge fan of coffee from Aldi.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:58 pm Aldi had good coffee last year (or at least they did in NY) but they don't have anything good here now, which is :sad: since I would like to make up a bunch of cold brew.
Aldi changes products frequently, which makes me :| because if I like something a lot, I know I won't be able to get it again. I've never been a huge fan of coffee from Aldi.
They had a basic whole bean option in 2019-20 that was either $3 or $4 a bag and better than most anything I've tried elsewhere. The more expensive "organic" stuff they had is worse IMO.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:45 am That's pretty much the norm here now. $15 food, $10-15 drink(s), 2 people, $60-ish total to go anywhere... which means staying home most of the time.

What's really shitty to me is that there are no cheap places. Even a coffee shop iced coffee and breakfast sandwich/pastry ends up at $15+ a person, which really defeats the convenience of living a block away from the place.
Cheap doesn't exist anymore. Even a basic sandwich somewhere is $8 min.
$12 minimum wage, brah
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:04 pm
Detroit wrote: We hang out with people more at home than out, but oddly for the opposite reason. Our place is a destination for most since we're in the middle of nowhere. Makes for fun evenings when you don't have to deal with ordering, bills, etc.
I guess if you have the type of friends/space/time for people to stay overnight that makes sense. I'm thinking more like fire up the speakers and jam/bs for a couple of hours with mostly people that I barely know - the same as I would at a bar but for a tenth of the price. Nobody is driving multiple hours to meet me in the woods, we don't have friends like that.
5/7 would not invite random people into my house no matter the “vibes”.

No thanks bro. I’d rather get to know more about you first before you enter. That may just be me, but you may end up doing that and end up with a missing Steinway.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:19 pm I don’t go out much anymore so it doesn’t affect me really.

The absolute worst is ordering through DoorDash or Caviar or something. Literally doubles the price of your meal.
Yeah fuck that shit man... I hate those services if not on a company card :lolol:

I can walk/drive/bike to pick up food for $20... Women love that shit though.
As an exhausted parent, the convenience is many times worth the cost. But fuuuuuuck
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I don't know about CostCo but Sam's club offers free shipping. I piggyback on my brothers account for K cup coffee (we like Peet's and a few others) and paper goods...shipped to the door cheaper than I can buy it locally.