Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

My michelins that weren't due until November showed up a few days ago, so at some point I will finally ride my bike again. Dunno, I've been feeling like garbage lately without even beating myself up on 2 wheels. You guys have so much more energy than me it's nuts.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:30 pm Got the thumbs up for a new MTB from the wife. Going to fix the brakes and then get more serious about selling the Trek.

Finding a replacement might be hard. I think I’d like about 140/120 ish travel on a 29er or 160/140 ish travel on a 27.5.

Hopefully Sram GX / SLX level components.
:nice: I'm demoing either a Ripley or a Ripmo in Louisville tomorrow - will provide feedback. The shop says they definitely have a Ripmo available, but may not have the Ripley built in time. We shall see. But I'm stoked to hit the trails on a MTB again for the first time in awhile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man... looking at Sora for the Raleigh and the damn STI shifters are like $200-300... :disgust: I will probably pull the trigger anyway because :aintcare:

I rode last night and this AM on my new tubeless setup on the Ribble (Conti GP5000TL in 28 mm). I was able to seat the tires easily with a regular floor pump, all in all it was easy. Ride quality is definitely better. It doesn't feel any faster or anything like that to me. :iono: so far I'd say :thisisfine: with or without tubes on a road bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:30 pm Got the thumbs up for a new MTB from the wife. Going to fix the brakes and then get more serious about selling the Trek.

Finding a replacement might be hard. I think I’d like about 140/120 ish travel on a 29er or 160/140 ish travel on a 27.5.

:nice: I'm demoing either a Ripley or a Ripmo in Louisville tomorrow - will provide feedback. The shop says they definitely have a Ripmo available, but may not have the Ripley built in time. We shall see. But I'm stoked to hit the trails on a MTB again for the first time in awhile.
:fuckyeah:

I am itching to hit the trails... My bike rack situation is sort of screwy and I don't love the trails right here, hopefully I can get it squared away and go out a few times next week.

@Johnny, I don't have much to offer on the mTB selection, I really haven't paid any attention. THe best way to be content with the Orbea is just not looking at anything else.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 pm Man... looking at Sora for the Raleigh and the damn STI shifters are like $200-300... :disgust: I will probably pull the trigger anyway because :aintcare:

I rode last night and this AM on my new tubeless setup on the Ribble (Conti GP5000TL in 28 mm). I was able to seat the tires easily with a regular floor pump, all in all it was easy. Ride quality is definitely better. It doesn't feel any faster or anything like that to me. :iono: so far I'd say :thisisfine: with or without tubes on a road bike.
What pressure? You can go lower on tubeless.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:Man... looking at Sora for the Raleigh and the damn STI shifters are like $200-300... :disgust: I will probably pull the trigger anyway because :aintcare:

Buy a whole group from china/ebay and wait, or get lucky with used stuff.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Ripley Af looks awesome and under the $4k mark all in. Which is ideal. I mean I'd like to keep it under 3 large but...
New stumpjumper seems like a good bike. The last one I rode felt really sluggish, but I think that was the horst link which they did away with on the carbon bikes. Of course those carbon bikes are now like 5 large.
Giant Trance is always an option and I might be able to demo one.
Trek Fuel... I don't think I can deal with that stupid knock block thing. No way I'd be able to wedge it into the basement with that shit.
There isn't much available near me, and that's before even considering COVID supply issues so this might have to be a mail order type thing.
Bikes got f'ing expensive.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:14 pm
D Griff wrote:Man... looking at Sora for the Raleigh and the damn STI shifters are like $200-300... :disgust: I will probably pull the trigger anyway because :aintcare:

Buy a whole group from china/ebay and wait, or get lucky with used stuff.
I'd go used on the Sora / Claris line if possible. Plenty of people ditch those parts pretty quickly to get more street cred from Ultegra type parts.
troyguitar

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Ripley AF is probably the only 29er full suspension bike I'd consider under $4k. If you're open to 27.5 the alloy Transition Scout would fit the bill. The Transition dealer in Nashville (IN) just got a batch of those in, so you may be able to find one. Sub $3k, though, I'd probably be trying to get my hands on a new Roscoe, probably a Roscoe 7. Ditch the fork for a Pike Select (if you can find one), maybe update the brakes, and be on your way.
Last edited by coogles on Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 pm Man... looking at Sora for the Raleigh and the damn STI shifters are like $200-300... :disgust: I will probably pull the trigger anyway because :aintcare:

Yeah, I went for 65 front 70 rear or so based on what I read, previous was ~80/85. Don't get me :wrong: , the improvement in ride quality is very noticeable, I just don't really care about that all that much I guess.

I am doing a century in the mountains on Saturday, so it'll be interesting to see if a nice ride reduces fatigue over a six hour or so span in the saddle.

I also bought those Fizik shoes and hate them, they hurt my feet like crazy, mostly my inside just below the ankles. I think I'm going to try to return and get Shimanos. I wanted to give them a fair shakedown so I've ridden like 150ish miles in them, I'll be curious to see if they take them back.
Johnny_P

I think I do about 50 front 60 rear on my 32s with tubes. I can’t remember though. It’s somewhere around that.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:13 pm

Yeah, I went for 65 front 70 rear or so based on what I read, previous was ~80/85. Don't get me :wrong: , the improvement in ride quality is very noticeable, I just don't really care about that all that much I guess.

I am doing a century in the mountains on Saturday, so it'll be interesting to see if a nice ride reduces fatigue over a six hour or so span in the saddle.

I also bought those Fizik shoes and hate them, they hurt my feet like crazy, mostly my inside just below the ankles. I think I'm going to try to return and get Shimanos. I wanted to give them a fair shakedown so I've ridden like 150ish miles in them, I'll be curious to see if they take them back.
I assume you're some 1%'er DFD size like 50cm?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:20 pm Sora mini group

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174949343870?h ... SwCvZhS2Hm
:nice: I may pull the trigger on this, I scoured eBay and mostly was seeing $150 pairs of shifters for $150 from China (after getting bitched at all day every day about customers not getting shit from China... nah) or like $120 each for the shifters.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:20 pm Sora mini group

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174949343870?h ... SwCvZhS2Hm
:nice: I may pull the trigger on this, I scoured eBay and mostly was seeing $150 pairs of shifters for $150 from China (after getting bitched at all day every day about customers not getting shit from China... nah) or like $120 each for the shifters.
Occasionally I see good prices on Facebook but they don't last. Dunno if this is still available for example:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Oh for shoes? 46 (US 12).
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:03 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm

:dedong:

Yeah I'm a 43 in those.

The latest interesting option I see on :crang: slist locally is something like this:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bop/d/ ... 20251.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bop/d/ ... 93085.html

I'm :notsure: about a heavy steel frame that can rust in the wet salty air but an R2000 1x8 setup with discs and ample mounts to haul shit seems otherwise nice. $80 for that Claris group in particular is :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:41 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Yeah I'm a 43 in those.

The latest interesting option I see on :crang: slist locally is something like this:

I'm :notsure: about a heavy steel frame that can rust in the wet salty air but an R2000 1x8 setup with discs and ample mounts to haul shit seems otherwise nice. $80 for that Claris group in particular is :notbad:
:iono: I think it's less of an issue than you may expect. I had the same Raleigh in Miami for three years and it lived outside (albeit covered) and was :thisisfine:

It has a ton of small chips and stuff from almost 40 years of use, sure, they have a tiny surface rust spot, but it is overall very solid. I'm about to waste hundreds more dollhairs on it for no real reason other than I like the way it looks and has sentimental family history.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:03 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:41 am

Yeah I'm a 43 in those.

:iono: I think it's less of an issue than you may expect. I had the same Raleigh in Miami for three years and it lived outside (albeit covered) and was :thisisfine:

It has a ton of small chips and stuff from almost 40 years of use, sure, they have a tiny surface rust spot, but it is overall very solid. I'm about to waste hundreds more dollhairs on it for no real reason other than I like the way it looks and has sentimental family history.
Yeah it's probably fine. Realistically my Domane is also fine, the rim brakes require (a lot) more force but they seem to stop fine otherwise - and that's with whatever no-name calipers, pads, and cables came on my bottom of the line bike. I'm not doing 50 mph downhill anymore either so brakes don't really matter as much. The Domane with lightweight :ramz: and good tarz is pretty great for <$1k all-in.

I should really just do nothing except ride more, especially since the humidity broke a few days ago. Having both bikes gives me something to ride while I'm working on the other one (fucking GP5000TL on the front of the Langma keeps spontaneously going flat with ~500 miles on it, sometimes overnight and sometimes in the middle of a ride when I didn't even hit anything... fucking defective POS), plus gives perspective on the differences when switching back to back. The "fast" bike -is- faster but by only a fraction of a mile per hour, however it feels waaaaaay more light/responsive. It gives the illusion of speed more than anything.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:03 pm

Yeah it's probably fine. Realistically my Domane is also fine, the rim brakes require (a lot) more force but they seem to stop fine otherwise - and that's with whatever no-name calipers, pads, and cables came on my bottom of the line bike. I'm not doing 50 mph downhill anymore either so brakes don't really matter as much. The Domane with lightweight :ramz: and good tarz is pretty great for <$1k all-in.

I should really just do nothing except ride more, especially since the humidity broke a few days ago. Having both bikes gives me something to ride while I'm working on the other one (fucking GP5000TL on the front of the Langma keeps spontaneously going flat with ~500 miles on it, sometimes overnight and sometimes in the middle of a ride when I didn't even hit anything... fucking defective POS), plus gives perspective on the differences when switching back to back. The "fast" bike -is- faster but by only a fraction of a mile per hour, however it feels waaaaaay more light/responsive. It gives the illusion of speed more than anything.
Ride for ride I am about 1-1.5 mph faster on a free 2x6 30 pound Raleigh that's too big for me versus a carbon :fancy: bike which is an amazingly small difference :lolol:

But I feel the same way, the Ribble feels WAY better and is much more fun to ride fast. I love the Raleigh for city stuff as it has puncture resistant tires, flat pedal option, a rack, looks cool, etc. Off the line though it just blows. I also sit higher which is sub optimal, but the narrow bars/twitchy steering is sort of fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hmmm could just go poverty-spec:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... cfb48efcbf

I think this would still be a pretty dece upgrade, could go for a 48T front ring or so and I think I'd have ample gearing for commuting doodies.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well, the demo today didn't go exactly as planned. I first called N+1 in late August about doing a demo on this day, and then called again about a week ago and was told both times they should have their demo fleet by 10/1, but that didn't end up happening. The shop owner remembered us talking and he had his own Ripmo there but he had it on a coil shock. They also had a used V1 Ripmo there that he let me take out, but it was a medium. It was definitely too small, but I got pretty sendy on it anyway.

The bike itself wasn't as great as just being out on the trails again for the first time in quite awhile. This place had some good flow, decent speeds in spots, and not a ton of technical bullshit to get in the way of having fun and going fast.

They do have a V4 Ripley there, Large, SLX build with Fox Factory bits and a bike yoke dropper that isn't sold yet. VERY much wanted to take it home with me.
Last edited by coogles on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:49 pm Well, the demo today didn't go exactly as planned. I first called N+1 in late August about doing a demo on this day, and then called again about a week ago and was told both times they should have their demo fleet by 10/1, but that didn't end up happening. The shop owner remembered us talking and he had his own Ripmo there but he had it on a coil shock. They also had a used V1 Ripmo there that he let me take out, but it was a medium. It was definitely too small, but I got pretty sendy on it anyway.

The bike itself wasn't as great as just being out on the trails again for the first time in quite awhile. This place had some good flow, decent speeds in spots, and not a ton of technical bullshit to get in the way of having fun and going fast.

They do have a V2 Ripley there, Large, SLX build with Fox Factory bits and a bike yoke dropper that isn't sold yet. VERY much wanted to take it home with me.
:doit:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:51 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:49 pm Well, the demo today didn't go exactly as planned. I first called N+1 in late August about doing a demo on this day, and then called again about a week ago and was told both times they should have their demo fleet by 10/1, but that didn't end up happening. The shop owner remembered us talking and he had his own Ripmo there but he had it on a coil shock. They also had a used V1 Ripmo there that he let me take out, but it was a medium. It was definitely too small, but I got pretty sendy on it anyway.

They do have a V2 Ripley there, Large, SLX build with Fox Factory bits and a bike yoke dropper that isn't sold yet. VERY much wanted to take it home with me.
$5,900 doe. Just dropped $5,300 today to have some nodules removed from my wife's thyroids (thanks crotchfruit). $5,900 for a bike ain't happening.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:51 pm

$5,900 doe. Just dropped $5,300 today to have some nodules removed from my wife's thyroids (thanks crotchfruit). $5,900 for a bike ain't happening.
Yeah man that is a lot of money… I ride one bike or another pretty much every day and still don’t know that I could justify it. I guess I’m just not someone who needs the best stuff though, good enough is enough for me in most cases.