Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:53 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:26 pm

Breh rent from Enterprise/Hertz etc. Unlimited mileage on pickup trucks.
They specifically say no towing. Yea, I guess it's a "how are they gonna know" type thing, but seems super risky. Also, run the risk of whatever you rent not having tow equipment.
True. Enterprise commerical also has trucks for towing that might have better rates than U-Haul
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 am
MrH42 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 am

Wow. You weren't kidding. You really are screwed.

I helped my dad buy a 2010 Tacoma SR5, 4x4, 4-cyl, access cab, with manual back in the day. Total unicorn truck.
Yea, my ideal would be a TuRD Off-road Access cab V6 :manuel: but that doesn't exist at all. Automatic would be fine, but those are only on the west coast for some reason. The only access cabs that come to my area are 2WD SR's with 4 bangers. Makes ZERO sense for northern MI, they're stacked up on lots because people here only want 4x4, so wtf Toyota? Plus, I need a V6 to tow the boat. I want a big bed because I don't need the cab space, and like having extra cargo carrying ability...I want a truck to be a truck.

Waiting a year will be the key, just interesting how screwed things are and Toyota makes no sense. If I could go to the :dillerman: and place an order for a TuRD Off Road Access cab, I would...even if it took 6 months.
Yep, makes me think about Max's :truk: purchase... there was zero chance of getting a :manuel: , no discounts, had to travel for MSRP, etc.

:nope:

I like the Whorange one you posted.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:53 pm
They specifically say no towing. Yea, I guess it's a "how are they gonna know" type thing, but seems super risky. Also, run the risk of whatever you rent not having tow equipment.
True. Enterprise commerical also has trucks for towing that might have better rates than U-Haul
They do, but only at commercial centers, which they don't have in my city. Closest one is 150 miles away.

A neighbor gave me a lead on indoor boat storage for $300 for the winter 15 mins for our hood. That's way cheaper than a U-Haul 2x. Not heated, but much less hassle. I'll probably just go that route.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 am
Yea, my ideal would be a TuRD Off-road Access cab V6 :manuel: but that doesn't exist at all. Automatic would be fine, but those are only on the west coast for some reason. The only access cabs that come to my area are 2WD SR's with 4 bangers. Makes ZERO sense for northern MI, they're stacked up on lots because people here only want 4x4, so wtf Toyota? Plus, I need a V6 to tow the boat. I want a big bed because I don't need the cab space, and like having extra cargo carrying ability...I want a truck to be a truck.

Waiting a year will be the key, just interesting how screwed things are and Toyota makes no sense. If I could go to the :dillerman: and place an order for a TuRD Off Road Access cab, I would...even if it took 6 months.
Yep, makes me think about Max's :truk: purchase... there was zero chance of getting a :manuel: , no discounts, had to travel for MSRP, etc.

Yea, it's still stupid expensive for what it is IMO. Fortunately, I don't need another vehicle, so I'm just going to wait. Any hunting right now is just :plac: :bs:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am Yep, makes me think about Max's :truk: purchase... there was zero chance of getting a :manuel: , no discounts, had to travel for MSRP, etc.

Yea, it's still stupid expensive for what it is IMO. Fortunately, I don't need another vehicle, so I'm just going to wait. Any hunting right now is just :plac: :bs:
Apparently my guitar partner is likely to be shopping this week. I guess he had a tire let go, lost control, and hit a serious curb head on that totally fucked the car. He's fine, but his 2020 Jetta with 15k miles will probably be totaled. I'm :notsure: what to tell him since he and his wife are "normal" people with totally bizarro vehicle preferences.

They should buy a used Prius. They'll probably get a new Cherokee or something. Their dream car is a G-wagen.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:41 am
Detroit wrote: Yea, it's still stupid expensive for what it is IMO. Fortunately, I don't need another vehicle, so I'm just going to wait. Any hunting right now is just :plac: :bs:
Apparently my guitar partner is likely to be shopping this week. I guess he had a tire let go, lost control, and hit a serious curb head on that totally fucked the car. He's fine, but his 2020 Jetta with 15k miles will probably be totaled. I'm :notsure: what to tell him since he and his wife are "normal" people with totally bizarro vehicle preferences.

They should buy a used Prius. They'll probably get a new Cherokee or something. Their dream car is a G-wagen.
I hate when non car people ask me about cars... they should get a Prius, suggest that and some other reasonable stuff like Mazda 3s or maybe CX5 if they want to 'sit up high' or whatever... then they go out and buy something that makes zero sense.

:ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:41 am Apparently my guitar partner is likely to be shopping this week. I guess he had a tire let go, lost control, and hit a serious curb head on that totally fucked the car. He's fine, but his 2020 Jetta with 15k miles will probably be totaled. I'm :notsure: what to tell him since he and his wife are "normal" people with totally bizarro vehicle preferences.

I hate when non car people ask me about cars... they should get a Prius, suggest that and some other reasonable stuff like Mazda 3s or maybe CX5 if they want to 'sit up high' or whatever... then they go out and buy something that makes zero sense.

I usually just rattle off a list of top selling vehicles and tell them to drive a bunch and pick what feels right.

But that's during normal times. Right now, it's a disaster finding things to drive. I recommend only buying new and only buying something with stellar residual track record. You're overpaying for EVERYTHING and the last thing you want is to be upside majorly in a year when the market returns to normal. People are assuming this is the new normal, and I believe that attitude will end in pain in a few years. Especially since most people will be settling on something just because it's available right now, not because they want it.

Crosstrek, Outback, Rav4, CR-V, 4Runner, Tacoma, Wrangler, Gladiator, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:11 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am

I usually just rattle off a list of top selling vehicles and tell them to drive a bunch and pick what feels right.

But that's during normal times. Right now, it's a disaster finding things to drive. I recommend only buying new and only buying something with stellar residual track record. You're overpaying for EVERYTHING and the last thing you want is to be upside majorly in a year when the market returns to normal. People are assuming this is the new normal, and I believe that attitude will end in pain in a few years. Especially since most people will be settling on something just because it's available right now, not because they want it.

:notwrong:

Someone like :mahtroy: 's guitar colleague might be a 10-year car owner, at which point, :aintcare: , just get something new that you like.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I will say, the Wrongler was a pretty sweet purchase. Zero cost but gas and cheap insurance so far, and we've been paid to drive it 25K miles.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:11 am

Someone like :mahtroy: 's guitar colleague might be a 10-year car owner, at which point, :aintcare: , just get something new that you like.
Assuming they find something they like and aren't forced to settle for whatever they can find. Like if I NEEDED a vehicle right now, I'd have to settle for something I didn't want 100% for various reasons. Those compromises may or may cause :plac: thoughts.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:32 am I will say, the Wrongler was a pretty sweet purchase. Zero cost but gas and cheap insurance so far, and we've been paid to drive it 25K miles.
Wranglers are amazing for this. We sold ours for a profit after owning it for 2 years. And this isn't new, I sold my 2012 JK back in 2014 for a few grand less than I paid for it.

Which is why I prioritize resale value over just about anything right now. A new car with strong proven residuals won't screw you too bad in the future. Any used car will right now.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:11 am I usually just rattle off a list of top selling vehicles and tell them to drive a bunch and pick what feels right.

Not everyone is rich enough to "just buy something new" - especially with our insane insurance rates here. I don't know the details, but they don't have a lot of money OR good credit OR great driving records.

Partly their fault, partly because he only came to the US from Zimbabwe a couple of years ago and is still establishing credit and learning English, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:44 am
D Griff wrote:

Not everyone is rich enough to "just buy something new" - especially with our insane insurance rates here. I don't know the details, but they don't have a lot of money OR good credit OR great driving records.

Partly their fault, partly because he only came to the US from Zimbabwe a couple of years ago and is still establishing credit and learning English, etc.
Well, 'something new' is cheaper than 'something used' it seems :iono:

Just get another Jetta.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:44 am
D Griff wrote:

The problem is used is the price of new now, or really close. Buying a used car right now makes zero sense, it's sad.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Looks like you can still be :scrooge: if you're OK with something really depressing - https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... utotempest
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am Looks like you can still be :scrooge: if you're OK with something really depressing - https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... utotempest
It'll get you to where you need to go and require little to do it for a long time. :notbad: really.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am Looks like you can still be :scrooge: if you're OK with something really depressing - https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... utotempest
It'll get you to where you need to go and require little to do it for a long time. :notbad: really.
I'm not seeing how that costs as much as new.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am
Detroit wrote: It'll get you to where you need to go and require little to do it for a long time. :notbad: really.
I'm not seeing how that costs as much as new.
Well, it's 17 years old and a Camry, so pretty much used up poverty to most people.

Anything lightly used, that's within 5 model years old, is within a few $k of new MSRP right now. Vroom offered MSRP for our Crosstrek with 3k miles on it. That means they think they can sell it for more than new MSRP. :mindblown: :wat: :fullretard:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am I'm not seeing how that costs as much as new.
Well, it's 17 years old and a Camry, so pretty much used up poverty to most people.

Anything lightly used, that's within 5 model years old, is within a few $k of new MSRP right now. Vroom offered MSRP for our Crosstrek with 3k miles on it. That means they think they can sell it for more than new MSRP. :mindblown: :wat: :fullretard:
That's just madness. I don't understand why any customer would pay over MSRP for a used car from Vroom, Carvana, all those when they could call around to a few dillers to find one who is still happy to sell their stock for at or under sticker... Is the "convenience" that worth it to people? Plus the interest rates from vroom et al are just complete :poop:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm

That's just madness. I don't understand why any customer would pay over MSRP for a used car from Vroom, Carvana, all those when they could call around to a few dillers to find one who is still happy to sell their stock for at or under sticker... Is the "convenience" that worth it to people? Plus the interest rates from vroom et al are just complete :poop:
I think the people are willing to pay the same or more for lightly used versus new to save the hassle of :dill: with :dillerman: , searching all over for the very few options actually available at MSRP, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

New inventory doesn't exist. If I wanted to buy another new Crosstrek Sport, I'd have to order and wait. There's zero currently in stock in my state.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm

New inventory doesn't exist. If I wanted to buy another new Crosstrek Sport, I'd have to order and wait. There's zero currently in stock in my state.

ZERO in the state? Okay yeah now I can understand a bit more.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am I'm not seeing how that costs as much as new.

Vroom just offered my friend $31k for his 2018 green GTI with 7k miles. He paid $25k for it new.
troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am Well, it's 17 years old and a Camry, so pretty much used up poverty to most people.

Vroom just offered my friend $31k for his 2018 green GTI with 7k miles. He paid $25k for it new.
I just hope that his insurance payout matches these insane values. If it does, then it really doesn't matter too much.
ChrisoftheNorth

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm

ZERO in the state? Okay yeah now I can understand a bit more.
I bought the last one I could find in the state at the end of June. :dillerman: wouldn't budge off MSRP then. He said more were coming in August, and I did actually have a few :dillerman: that I contacted prior hit me up in August when they got inventory in. MSRP or markup was all they offered. I got a vroom quote a few weeks ago just out of curiosity, and it came back at MSRP. Did a quick inventory search, and there was zero new Sports (just a few 2.0 engine units) within 300 miles of me.