OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:08 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:06 am What's the goal for you guys and your careers salary wise? At your peak, what do you hope to be making % to what you make now?
I've given up on chasing doll hairs.

What matters to me is having the time to do things that matter, and spending every waking moment working is not one of those things that matter to me.
:dat:

I set up my life to be as cheap as possible and still fit my desires. I don't want fancy shit and have worked hard at killing the constant desire for more.

Makes a desire for more salary not there, especially if it requires more work and :bs: I've got it pretty good right now and hope that lasts a while.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

At the ER with Mom. She fell in her kitchen and either broke or dislocated her hip. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:38 pm At the ER with Mom. She fell in her kitchen and either broke or dislocated her hip. :(
Thats unfortunate... hope she recovers soon
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:39 pm
wap wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:38 pm At the ER with Mom. She fell in her kitchen and either broke or dislocated her hip. :(
Thats unfortunate... hope she recovers soon
Thanks, Dude.
wap

Fuck. She broke her hip.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:00 am Fuck. She broke her hip.
Sorry to hear Wap

Does she live alone?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:06 am What's the goal for you guys and your careers salary wise? At your peak, what do you hope to be making % to what you make now?
I don’t have a set target in mind.. a job to me is a way to afford my hobbies/lifestyle.. so as long as I can afford to live and throw some money at bodybuilding and record collecting every month and some into retirement accounts I’ll be happy. If I had to put a figure on it, I’d probably be very content at $120k-ish long term, assuming Michelle continues to work in some capacity.
SAWCE

Shit man. I’m so sorry to hear that. Hopefully she recovers fully and quickly.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 pm
Sorry to hear Wap

Does she live alone?
Thanks, KY and :sawce:

Yeah, she lives alone. She fell bending down to pick up something from her kitchen floor. She dragged herself into the living room to get her cell phone to call the front desk (she lives in an independent living retirement community) who called the fire department, then me. Went and visited her today and she was in pretty good spirits, thanks to the morphine, I'm sure. Her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, some time between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Funny, this isn't something I've ever thought about.

I'm not sure, it really depends on a lot of things like if we continue living here, what the wife does, if we have kids, etc. I will say that right now I absolutely don't want a promotion at my current company. I would be open to some sort of lateral move to mix things up, but I am not willing to take on the responsibility of managing people/divisions of a business when I make enough to be :thisisfine: as-is.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 pm
Sorry to hear Wap

Does she live alone?
Thanks, KY and :sawce:

Yeah, she lives alone. She fell bending down to pick up something from her kitchen floor. She dragged herself into the living room to get her cell phone to call the front desk (she lives in an independent living retirement community) who called the fire department, then me. Went and visited her today and she was in pretty good spirits, thanks to the morphine, I'm sure. Her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, some time between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Dang man, sorry to hear she got hurt and glad she's hanging in there! Wishing the best for the surgery.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:10 pm
And how's your mom? I saw the post about you taking time off work for her but didn't see what was up. I've been thinking about you. Hope you are doing well.
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:33 am

And how's your mom? I saw the post about you taking time off work for her but didn't see what was up. I've been thinking about you. Hope you are doing well.
Ah she passed away two weeks ago yesterday. We had a memorial service for her on Saturday and this Friday we’ll bury her up in Utah.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I don’t have a set target in mind.. a job to me is a way to afford my hobbies/lifestyle.. so as long as I can afford to live and throw some money at bodybuilding and record collecting every month and some into retirement accounts I’ll be happy. If I had to put a figure on it, I’d probably be very content at $120k-ish long term, assuming Michelle continues to work in some capacity.
How would your life change if you were making $120k/your goal compared to now? Save more and retire earlier?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:33 am

Ah she passed away two weeks ago yesterday. We had a memorial service for her on Saturday and this Friday we’ll bury her up in Utah.
Sorry Brandon. Anniversary of my dad dying was a little over 2 weeks ago. It's been 22 years. I was thinking about him a lot and wishing I could talk to him now.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

KYGTIGuy wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:10 pm I don’t have a set target in mind.. a job to me is a way to afford my hobbies/lifestyle.. so as long as I can afford to live and throw some money at bodybuilding and record collecting every month and some into retirement accounts I’ll be happy. If I had to put a figure on it, I’d probably be very content at $120k-ish long term, assuming Michelle continues to work in some capacity.
How would your life change if you were making $120k/your goal compared to now? Save more and retire earlier?
Retire earlier is exactly what more money would do for us, other than that we already pretty much live how we want to live... The other change is that at some point another ~$20k a year or so before tax would allow us to actually take vacations.

In fantasy land I would like to rent a place somewhere for 3 months every summer, maybe a different city each year. Paris, Montreal, etc. Now that remote work is a thing, it's more likely to be a possibility.
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 am

Exactly. Save more and retire earlier. Would also give some cushion for when we have kids so that Michelle could scale back how much she works if she wanted to.
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:52 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 am

Sorry Brandon. Anniversary of my dad dying was a little over 2 weeks ago. It's been 22 years. I was thinking about him a lot and wishing I could talk to him now.
Thank you man. It was nice to get some closure on Saturday, and will be again this Friday. I’ve definitely had a few good cry sessions, but in general I’m doing fairly well. Spent a lot of time grieving and mourning for the state she was in while she was still here, so with her passing I’ve been able to feel a little better and take comfort in knowing she isn’t in the immense pain anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:34 am
KYGTIGuy wrote:
Retire earlier is exactly what more money would do for us, other than that we already pretty much live how we want to live... The other change is that at some point another ~$20k a year or so before tax would allow us to actually take vacations.

In fantasy land I would like to rent a place somewhere for 3 months every summer, maybe a different city each year. Paris, Montreal, etc. Now that remote work is a thing, it's more likely to be a possibility.
I really like the idea of living somewhere else for a few months of the year. If you structure your life to live way below your means, I don't see why that isn't doable. We have animals dragging us down, which is partially why I've been considering a van to drive around in.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:34 am Retire earlier is exactly what more money would do for us, other than that we already pretty much live how we want to live... The other change is that at some point another ~$20k a year or so before tax would allow us to actually take vacations.

I really like the idea of living somewhere else for a few months of the year. If you structure your life to live way below your means, I don't see why that isn't doable. We have animals dragging us down, which is partially why I've been considering a van to drive around in.
I mean, it's doable if you want to work forever. We don't, so every dollar spent on luxuries like travel means more time spent working.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 am
Detroit wrote: I really like the idea of living somewhere else for a few months of the year. If you structure your life to live way below your means, I don't see why that isn't doable. We have animals dragging us down, which is partially why I've been considering a van to drive around in.
I mean, it's doable if you want to work forever. We don't, so every dollar spent on luxuries like travel means more time spent working.
What do you guys want to do in retirement?

My concern is that without a bunch of money to travel, do stuff like track days/other hobbies, retirement would be pretty GD boring. I am trying to strike a balance of doing a lot and enjoying life now while still saving to hopefully call it quits on the work :bs: eventually. I think I'd rather work a job with PTO than sit at home and watch TV with a very tight budget.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 am
Detroit wrote: I really like the idea of living somewhere else for a few months of the year. If you structure your life to live way below your means, I don't see why that isn't doable. We have animals dragging us down, which is partially why I've been considering a van to drive around in.
It's a balance man. You don't have to :troywax: every time your travel, you can do it on the cheap if you try. Weather you want to or not is a different thing, and I can understand arguments on both sides of the coin there.

In our case, I justify it like this:

Our all-in house cost (mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc) is $1,500-$1,700/mo (more in the winter when we have to heat the house). We used to be nearly double that, so for a few months of the year, if we decide to live like we used to by renting a small place for ~$1,500-$2k/mo via airbnb or whatever then just living like we do here (grocery shopping, cooking at the place, etc), it won't really set us back that much. Splurge on things occasionally so you still experience where you are, but I think it can be done without decimating savings.

It's all hypothetical :doe: We're hoping to try it out this year, but it may not work out for various reasons.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:49 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 am I mean, it's doable if you want to work forever. We don't, so every dollar spent on luxuries like travel means more time spent working.
It's a balance man. You don't have to :troywax: every time your travel, you can do it on the cheap if you try. Weather you want to or not is a different thing, and I can understand arguments on both sides of the coin there.

Our all-in house cost (mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc) is $1,500-$1,700/mo (more in the winter when we have to heat the house). We used to be nearly double that, so for a few months of the year, if we decide to live like we used to by renting a small place for ~$1,500-$2k/mo via airbnb or whatever then just living like we do here (grocery shopping, cooking at the place, etc), it won't really set us back that much. Splurge on things occasionally so you still experience where you are, but I think it can be done without decimating savings.

It's all hypothetical :doe: We're hoping to try it out this year, but it may not work out for various reasons.
The tricky thing is finding affordable places to stay anymore... just like real estate, airBNBs and hotels and such have really jumped in the past few years.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:46 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 am I mean, it's doable if you want to work forever. We don't, so every dollar spent on luxuries like travel means more time spent working.
What do you guys want to do in retirement?

My concern is that without a bunch of money to travel, do stuff like track days/other hobbies, retirement would be pretty GD boring. I am trying to strike a balance of doing a lot and enjoying life now while still saving to hopefully call it quits on the work :bs: eventually. I think I'd rather work a job with PTO than sit at home and watch TV with a very tight budget.
My goal is to find a job that I can do wherever that doesn't consume my life. I can do something like that for a long time AND feel the :fuckyeah: of freedom from non stop working.

I was off for a month and a half, and honestly started getting a bit bored toward the end. Fear of running out of savings (which I had a year's worth of expenses, but it still ate at my mind) kept me from really getting into hobbies much at all. We didn't even really travel as much as I hoped, for various reasons. What I learned is that being 100% :scrooge: for the future and just sitting around at home isn't a ton of fun either. I'd hike and do free outside stuff, but I want more.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:49 am

The tricky thing is finding affordable places to stay anymore... just like real estate, airBNBs and hotels and such have really jumped in the past few years.
We've looked in some less desirable areas (that we find desirable) like ABQ and it looks like 1,500-2k isn't impossible just for a studio apt or something small. We don't need anything crazy. That could all change when we want to leave, so who knows. A blend of airbnb and vanlyfe is really appealing to us as well, but a van is a $60-$80k thing all said and done.