Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:26 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm

This, soo much this on the last paragraph. Which political side is like joining a sports team. Same with vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Losing friendships for opposite beliefs is just silly. I could go on and on about this.
I find it incredibly sad.
I also feel like this is more of a childish mentality than anything.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:03 pm I got made fun of last month for double spacing after a period. Apparently it's a thing that "olds" do.

:sad:
Double spacer checking in.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am

:notsure:

You are old. :trollface:

My understanding is that either is perfectly acceptable.
:really:
I ain't changing. It's a visual aid and it makes it easier to see the end of a sentence vs just a pause that a comma would give.
Let's just eliminate every foundation for proper punctuation and sentence structure and make everything a fucking run-on hashtag tweet.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm
There's an interesting thing about the employment issue that a contractor we hired made me aware of a few weeks ago. We hired a general contractor to rebuild a room on our house, and what should have taken a month has dragged on for 4 now. He's been great with communication and very apologetic, he said he just can't find people.

One of the dudes he sent out used to own his own general contracting business. The guy was really intelligent, did great work, and was super chatty. He said he was forced to shut down most of his own business because he can't find anyone to work with him. He's offering people $30/hr CASH at the end of the day to just help him carry tools, run errands, hold things, just be a helper. Unskilled, simple work that any human in decent physical shape could do. I told him that I thought that was great money and I was shocked he couldn't find anyone and I blamed unemployment. He said it has nothing to do with unemployment, instead pointed blame at the legalization of cannabis. He said he could count 10 people that he's lost in the last 12 months to growing and selling pot.

It turns out that in my local area in northern MI where space is abundant, unskilled people THINK that growing and selling cannabis is a much easier and faster way to economic prosperity than working a job for someone else. The reality is that it's actually quite labor intensive to do it at the scale required to replace normal income streams, but everyone up here knows someone personally with a crazy operation that clears a quarter mil annually selling pot. Those stories are motivating people, and legalization made law enforcement turn a blind eye to this activity, whether it's being done legally or not.

I'd be fascinated to see if there's any sort of correlation between the lack of low skilled labor and legalization of cannabis.
Jesus!! Yeah I remember Michigan legalized marijuana and all the :millennial: jumped into the business rather than doing honest work. Also I honestly think that has to do with lot of millennials seem to move to larger cities more as well. I have definitely noticed more transplants in DC than before. I also remember when I just got my mk7, I remember on golfmk7 where theres some dude in Colorado started his weed business (when they legalized it at the time), he was rolling in a mk4 r32 before that and he got a :gorf: shortly after his business somehow took off. Maybe that guy knew what he was doing, but I feel like a lot of millennials went like "you know what, I could be good at this", etc.
The dude I bought my house from legit clears $200k+ in cannabis sales. He also spent $20k on converting his basement into a grow operation, and spends every single waking minute tending to the operation, all while hiring people to help trim, harvest, package, and distribute. It's a massive amount of work that I think a lot of kids underestimate.

Another :mindblown: thing is these folks can't put this money into the banking industry, so they buy whatever they can with cash. Some dealers will take cash for a car, which is why they tend to be rolling in some nice vehicles...like the MK7 dude. My buddy buys and sells cars, golf carts, boats, etc to effectively launder the cash.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

There's an interesting thing about the employment issue that a contractor we hired made me aware of a few weeks ago. We hired a general contractor to rebuild a room on our house, and what should have taken a month has dragged on for 4 now. He's been great with communication and very apologetic, he said he just can't find people.

One of the dudes he sent out used to own his own general contracting business. The guy was really intelligent, did great work, and was super chatty. He said he was forced to shut down most of his own business because he can't find anyone to work with him. He's offering people $30/hr CASH at the end of the day to just help him carry tools, run errands, hold things, just be a helper. Unskilled, simple work that any human in decent physical shape could do. I told him that I thought that was great money and I was shocked he couldn't find anyone and I blamed unemployment. He said it has nothing to do with unemployment, instead pointed blame at the legalization of cannabis. He said he could count 10 people that he's lost in the last 12 months to growing and selling pot.

It turns out that in my local area in northern MI where space is abundant, unskilled people THINK that growing and selling cannabis is a much easier and faster way to economic prosperity than working a job for someone else. The reality is that it's actually quite labor intensive to do it at the scale required to replace normal income streams, but everyone up here knows someone personally with a crazy operation that clears a quarter mil annually selling pot. Those stories are motivating people, and legalization made law enforcement turn a blind eye to this activity, whether it's being done legally or not.

I'd be fascinated to see if there's any sort of correlation between the lack of low skilled labor and legalization of cannabis.
Jesus!! Yeah I remember Michigan legalized marijuana and all the :millennial: jumped into the business rather than doing honest work. Also I honestly think that has to do with lot of millennials seem to move to larger cities more as well. I have definitely noticed more transplants in DC than before. I also remember when I just got my mk7, I remember on golfmk7 where theres some dude in Colorado started his weed business (when they legalized it at the time), he was rolling in a mk4 r32 before that and he got a :gorf: shortly after his business somehow took off. Maybe that guy knew what he was doing, but I feel like a lot of millennials went like "you know what, I could be good at this", etc.
I mean, it certainly can be a legitimate business, but running a business is also very difficult. One won't just be great at growing, marketing, selling, and managing weed because they enjoy smoking it :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I support legalized marijuana, prosecuting people for it was stupid, but in general the business does not draw John Glenn 110% honest day's work for an honest day's pay types. And that's the legal side. With every legalized state is a shadow industry of illegal growers, frequently foreign criminals. In our neck of the woods, Russians and Laotians, in particular, find that getting licenses and paying taxes on MJ sales are hoops they would rather not jump through. It has become a bit of a scourge in certain rural areas. Better than meth I guess.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:29 pm

I mean, it certainly can be a legitimate business, but running a business is also very difficult. One won't just be great at growing, marketing, selling, and managing weed because they enjoy smoking it :lolol:
Such Bingo.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:19 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am

:really:
I ain't changing. It's a visual aid and it makes it easier to see the end of a sentence vs just a pause that a comma would give.
Let's just eliminate every foundation for proper punctuation and sentence structure and make everything a fucking run-on hashtag tweet.
THANK YOU.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm Jesus!! Yeah I remember Michigan legalized marijuana and all the :millennial: jumped into the business rather than doing honest work. Also I honestly think that has to do with lot of millennials seem to move to larger cities more as well. I have definitely noticed more transplants in DC than before. I also remember when I just got my mk7, I remember on golfmk7 where theres some dude in Colorado started his weed business (when they legalized it at the time), he was rolling in a mk4 r32 before that and he got a :gorf: shortly after his business somehow took off. Maybe that guy knew what he was doing, but I feel like a lot of millennials went like "you know what, I could be good at this", etc.
I mean, it certainly can be a legitimate business, but running a business is also very difficult. One won't just be great at growing, marketing, selling, and managing weed because they enjoy smoking it Imageol:
It's farming. People should know by now that farming is hard work.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:33 pm

I support legalized marijuana, prosecuting people for it was stupid, but in general the business does not draw John Glenn 110% honest day's work for an honest day's pay types. And that's the legal side. With every legalized state is a shadow industry of illegal growers, frequently foreign criminals. In our neck of the woods, Russians and Laotians, in particular, find that getting licenses and paying taxes on MJ sales are hoops they would rather not jump through. It has become a bit of a scourge in certain rural areas. Better than meth I guess.
Sadly, it seems legalization has only blown up the blackmarket because now prosecution isn't a threat. Incredibly, the legal product is so expensive that the black market can still make money hand over fist by selling to both existing customers AND newcomers looking for a deal.

And yes, the people that pursue these enterprises tend to be of the less educated, less motivated, likely some form of criminal record types. All fine, but those are also the people we depended on to do jobs nobody wants to do.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:03 pm
D Griff wrote:
I mean, it certainly can be a legitimate business, but running a business is also very difficult. One won't just be great at growing, marketing, selling, and managing weed because they enjoy smoking it Imageol:
Having seen a few of these large scale grow operations IRL, it's actually even harder than farming in the sense that the plants are more sensitive and tending to them is far more detail oriented and time consuming. Even the harvest schedule is a bit on the random side. I was going to go hiking with my growing buddy on a Saturday. Got to his house and he was checking his plants and he determined that they were ready for harvest NOW. So much for hiking. I stayed around a bit to watch the process, then got bored and left. It's involved.

It's honestly easier to just get a normal 8-5 jerb. BUT people don't know that.
troyguitar

It seems like it should be obvious that growing and processing not only food-grade but pharmaceutical-grade crops is a challenge, but I guess people don't think it through.

If I'm buying a product at a store, I expect it to be safe and consistent. That's fucking hard to do with organic materials. Hell try to make just 10 loaves of bread every day that look and taste the same...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:33 pm

Sadly, it seems legalization has only blown up the blackmarket because now prosecution isn't a threat. Incredibly, the legal product is so expensive that the black market can still make money hand over fist by selling to both existing customers AND newcomers looking for a deal.

And yes, the people that pursue these enterprises tend to be of the less educated, less motivated, likely some form of criminal record types. All fine, but those are also the people we depended on to do jobs nobody wants to do.
This is odd, I've bought in CA, OR, WA, and NV and all seemed cheaper than the equivalent amount of lower quality NC black market product.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:30 pm It seems like it should be obvious that growing and processing not only food-grade but pharmaceutical-grade crops is a challenge, but I guess people don't think it through.

If I'm buying a product at a store, I expect it to be safe and consistent. That's fucking hard to do with organic materials. Hell try to make just 10 loaves of bread every day that look and taste the same...
YEP.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:30 pm It seems like it should be obvious that growing and processing not only food-grade but pharmaceutical-grade crops is a challenge, but I guess people don't think it through.

People are used to just consuming whatever their homie hooked them up with, ZFG about consistency, quality, hell even safety :yikes:

But growing in a controlled environment is key. My buddy set his basement up to control every variable you can think of. It has separate climate controls for temp from the rest of the house (he added 2 mini split heat pumps in the basement), humidifier and dehumidifier, both set up to balance ideal humidity. He waters with set amounts of water per plant on timers for exact intervals. Nutrients are added in set amounts automatically with watering. Lights turn on and off automatically, there's even separate rooms with different light timers for the stage of the plants, along with a separate cloning room.

The science that goes into it is incredible, not to mention the money and effort in perfecting the process. I bet 99% of people that think they'll make it big growing don't consider any of this.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:52 pm

People are used to just consuming whatever their homie hooked them up with, ZFG about consistency, quality, hell even safety :yikes:

But growing in a controlled environment is key. My buddy set his basement up to control every variable you can think of. It has separate climate controls for temp from the rest of the house (he added 2 mini split heat pumps in the basement), humidifier and dehumidifier, both set up to balance ideal humidity. He waters with set amounts of water per plant on timers for exact intervals. Nutrients are added in set amounts automatically with watering. Lights turn on and off automatically, there's even separate rooms with different light timers for the stage of the plants, along with a separate cloning room.

The science that goes into it is incredible, not to mention the money and effort in perfecting the process. I bet 99% of people that think they'll make it big growing don't consider any of this.
And this is why the shrubs and things we plant at the house keep dying.. Fuck all of that :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:14 pm

This is odd, I've bought in CA, OR, WA, and NV and all seemed cheaper than the equivalent amount of lower quality NC black market product.
That's because NC isn't legal, so the price is the price. ALSO, because it isn't legal, there aren't as many growers and distributors need to assume more risk, which is all baked into the price. There's an odd externality with legalized cannabis that the reduced risk of prosecution has actually increased black market activity.

Legal sets a price cap, then the black market fills in below. My buddy claims he makes less per unit, but does way more volume now that more than makes up for it. In MI, legal dispensary product is roughly 25-40% MORE than same quality black market stuff. And just like how TJ's sells excess wine from high end vineyards with its own label at a discounted price, some cannabis growers do the same, so you're getting the same product.

If you couldn't tell, I'm fascinated by the business and market dynamics of cannabis.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:03 pm
D Griff wrote:
I mean... lot of people are mining crypto as well, and already making good money for it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:52 pm

And this is why the shrubs and things we plant at the house keep dying.. Fuck all of that :lolol:
:dat: I tried to plant a patch of clover in an are instead of lawn and couldn't even make that grow. :lolol:

We're actually trying to grow our own pot plant 100% organically outside. It's been going since June, started budding recently, but the leaves are turning brown and it's getting wilty...it doesn't look like it's going to make it, and we've paid close attention to it. It is hard.
ChrisoftheNorth

So um, my new company has custom emojis in Slack that maybe 25% are DFDmojis.

:amazing:
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 pm So um, my new company has custom emojis in Slack that maybe 25% are DFDmojis.

:ohdang:
troyguitar

I made a bizarro stir-fry thing today and it was actually :notbad:

No clue what the recipe was exactly but it involved chicken and veggies with a sauce made from eggs, sesame oil, ginger, lime, garlic, onion, cayenne and chipotle pepper, fish sauce, and cinnamon at a bare minimum.

Drinking while cooking with random ingredients beats the hell out of stressing trying to replicate some specific recipe.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:51 pm I made a bizarro stir-fry thing today and it was actually :notbad:

No clue what the recipe was exactly but it involved chicken and veggies with a sauce made from eggs, sesame oil, ginger, lime, garlic, onion, cayenne and chipotle pepper, fish sauce, and cinnamon at a bare minimum.

Drinking while cooking with random ingredients beats the hell out of stressing trying to replicate some specific recipe.
Shit dude, that sounds epic! 5/7 :drunk: cooking is the way. Some of our best dishes are impossible to replicate because of the improvisational nature of cooking.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 pm So um, my new company has custom emojis in Slack that maybe 25% are DFDmojis.

:ohdang:
And people use them! My boss sent a :themoreyouknow: today after I asked a question
wap

Took Monday and yesterday off to work on phase 2 of my big yard project. Ended up getting all 7 8 ft tall arborvitaes transplanted. FIL and I did one back in May just before we both threw our backs out. I did one by myself Saturday but the fucker was so heavy I couldn't get the damn thing out of the hole so I needed help from :tits: to heave it out of the hole and roll it to the new spot. Managed to get 1 tree moved in about 4 hours on Saturday. FIL came over on Monday in an :amaze: hold-my-beer moment, he and I, again with :tits: help, moved no less than 3 trees in the same amount of time. Then he came over again yesterday and we moved the last 3, though it took a couple extra hours because in 3 of the new holes I dug I ran into the buried stumps of the pines we took out early this spring. Fuck. I managed to work around the stumps but had to cut several large roots out with my Ryobi 18v saws all. My FIL is a beast. He'll be 73 YO next month and his energy level is :amaze: One example: On Monday, before coming over, he got up at 5:00am, walked 3 miles, washed his car, went to his chiropractor to get his back adjusted, then came over at noon to start working on the transplanting. He didn't even wear work gloves though he spent non-stop hours shoveling. I wore gloves and currently have 6 blisters on my hands. I'm pathetic compared to this guy. He's also the most :aintcare: dude you'll ever meet. He's always happy, loves to have a good time, loves to have a drink or 3, dances like a fool at weddings, etc. I love the guy.

Here's where the arborvitaes WERE (on the right):

Here's where they WENT (90 degrees from where they were):

Work in progress:

Now you can see our patio and my giant pile of firewood from cutting down a dozen pines.